PDA

View Full Version : I may have done something bold (long)

angel8783
05-08-2007, 11:15 PM
To preface let me say that when I got engaged in December of 2005 I started to search for a new job because I knew my new husband and I would be moving about 40 miles down the freeway from our college town in about 6 months. He found a great job, we got married almost a year ago, and I kept my old job, 40 miles away in the college town because I could not find a job that would pay me well and would be ok with me taking night school (also right near our home, not in the orginal college town)

I made a deal with my current employers who did not want to lose me, that I would stay until I found another job, and they were happy with that and still are. Cut to about 1.5 years later, and still I have not found a job. I have a bachelors degree and I am pursuing a masters, and I need a job close to home (to cut down on driving) and that will be a little flexible with me on the school thing (I cannot work overtime when I have to get to class). I have not been feverisly looking for the 1.5 years, however, I have been steadily looking, more so in the last 3 months than ever before.

So, where does my boldness come in? I have been going on at least 1-2 interviews a week the past month. The last one I had was because of a great reference and the office knew many of the people that know me. They wanted to hire me, but did not want to pay me the extra $2 an hour I was asking, they really just wanted someone still in college, not a graduate. So, after losing this job (one of many) due to pay issues and the like, I turned my attentions to a job opening at the church my husband works for. They have an administrative postion they say they need to fill and they say they are interested in me. I know I can do the job, and the pay is good, however, they are in no hurry to fill the position it seems even though they are losing their person in a week.

The church has no qualms about hiring family members as whole entire families are on staff there already (husbands/wives, brothers/sisters/parents). I just believe they want the right person for the job, like any job an employer is trying to fill. So, in an act of desperation on my part, I wrote the pastor who needs the position filled (its for his admin assistant) a polite email telling him of why I think I would be qualified for this job, and I asked him to think about and pray about considering me for an interview (not the job, just an initial interview) if the position was still open. (keep in mind I have not spoken to him before about this because he is in pastoring mode every time I see him, my husband has, not not me). I also offered that if he was not 100% sure of the fit after interviewing me, but still wanted to consider me for the job, I would be willing to come in some afternoons for a "trial" and I would still keep my current job in the meantime. (After all, the position will just be sitting open) I figure, no pressure for him, and I get a shot at proving myself.

Later that afternoon I got a phone call from another job opportunity where I have already been "phone screened". I go in for that interview tomorrow, so I am feeling less desperate and more uncertain about this bold move I have made emailing this pastor.

Any thoughts?

Try not to be too harsh as I am really tired of being rejected lately!! And also, I do realize that part of the reason I am not getting the jobs I apply for is because of money, not my skills or personality, however I feel forced into these types of positions because they seem to be the only ones that will work with my schedule for school (it starts at 6pm two nights a week).

Jeri Lynn
05-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Laura,
I think you took some great initiative. I wish you luck in your job search, when the time is right the right job will be there for you!!

Good Luck!!

BrerSchultzy
05-09-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't see any reason for anyone to criticize what you've done. Here's what I see:

You took the initiative, and asked the pastor to pray over whether or not you are a good fit for their office. Shortly thereafter, someone else calls with a request to interview you...any pastor worth his salt is going to see that no matter what happens, you are being rewarded for taking initiative.

Don't fret. Do what is best for you. Eventually, you'll look back and wonder what you worried about. Very well done so far!

SBETigg
05-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Don't fret. Do what is best for you. Eventually, you'll look back and wonder what you worried about. Very well done so far!

I agree. You need to do what's best for you. Take the best opportunity that presents itself and no one can fault you for taking initiative, making a strong case for yourself, and doing what you need to do in the end. Best wishes for it all to work out the way you want.

crazypoohbear
05-09-2007, 10:42 AM
BOLD IS BEAUTIFUL.:D
Whatever job you are meant to have you will get.
Best of luck in your job search and good for you for being bold!!

Belle619
05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't think you did anything crazy at all! It is discouraging to keep getting turned down (for any reason) especially when you need a new job.

angel8783
05-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for your support!! I have still got that interview today, and then I got called a couple of hours ago for another interview tomorrow! I still have heard nothing from the church, but no one is avoiding my husband at work or anything, (although no one has mentioned my email to him either) so I think I probably did do the right thing. I needed to put myself out there to prove that I would be a good employee. I am hoping that something good will come from all these interviews as on paper I must look really good (5 interviews in the last 3 weeks). Money just always seems to be the biggest issue for me. No one wants to pay people a living wage for the jobs I have the most experience for. I guess that makes sense though since I got all my experience throughout college, and not many college jobs do pay a living wage.

pianobabe
05-09-2007, 07:36 PM
It's not always easy to get an interview. You did well in emailing the pastor. It shows him you have the initiative to go after something important to you. What ever you do, don't give up. Keep your eyes on God and pray, that will always lead you in the right direction.

Dsnygirl
05-09-2007, 11:38 PM
:thumbsup: I think you did a very smart thing, e-mailing the pastor... it showed courage, initiative and strength, all of which are good attributes to have from a future employer's perspective! Even if you do get a different job, he can have nothing but respect for you for showing interest in the position, and offering him options re: an interview and trialing the job.

Good luck as you continue on your job hunt - I think whoever hires you will get a great new employee, and I'm sure you'll find the right combination of salary and job skills!! :thumbsup:

pianobabe
06-01-2007, 01:26 AM
How did the interviews go? Have you heard anything new? Any other prospects? Let us know please.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-03-2007, 09:59 PM
The more you put yourself out there the better chance you have of getting the right job.

I know when I was being laid off, I jumped at the first job, which offered me less money. I know it was the wrong move within one week. So after the 4 week trial I told them adios. After 2 more weeks I found a job that paid much more and has better benefits.

So don't give up and settle for something less than you want. Best of luck in your searching and I hope you find the right one soon.