PDA

View Full Version : Most Fantastic Guidebook Ever!!

MPoppins
05-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Not sure where to put this on the boards, but am trying here because of the book's primary subject - Disney theme parks. The Complete Walt Disney World by Julie and Mike Neal. This book is beautiful - over 400 photographs, backstage information, info. about Walt, a Hidden Mickeys list, and a writing voice that sings of a love for our favorite place in the world. As much as I love my Passporter and though I still buy Birnbaum's every year, this book is the business. Btw, I found it Amazon...:thumbsup: :mickey: :D

snifflesmcg
05-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to Barnes and Noble this week to check it out!:read:

merlinmagic4
05-09-2007, 06:18 AM
Thanks! I'll check it out! I honestly haven't read a book on Disney since I found Intercot but I think I'll try something new :thumbsup:

jodijo
05-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Wow, it looks great. I thought I read them all but not this one. I am excited to read it!

jakeofwildwood
05-09-2007, 10:02 AM
How does it compare to Bob Schellenger's Unofficial Guide (which I consider the bible of Disney guide books)?

MPoppins
05-09-2007, 09:53 PM
How does it compare to Bob Schellenger's Unofficial Guide (which I consider the bible of Disney guide books)?

This book is much more visually pleasing than the Unofficial Guide. This is something that you can keep out - the pages are glossy and the pictures are beautiful. As far as the information - while some of it is typical, it's presented in a way that is special. Other information is not what you usually find in a guide book. It's super!:thumbsup:

Julie Neal
06-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks to all of you for your kind words about my book, "The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World." My husband and I are just thrilled about the response the book is getting. I'm posting here because we are going to have to go back to print again later this year, and wanted to know if anyone else has any comments good or bad about the book. We are considering expanding the book slightly, and want to know what else readers would like to see in it. Again, thank you all for your great comments.

BronxTigger
06-06-2007, 10:33 PM
I went to Barnes and Noble to look for this book and they didn't have it! I'm going to have to try another store! I really want to find it to see the photos in it, because most guidebooks don't have enough good photos.

The Official Guide has some, but they are very limited and too bland.

The Unofficial Guide has none, only a few silly cartoons.

The Passporter has unique photos, but the focus of the photos is on the authors rather than on the attractions.

I can't wait to find this book!

Julie Neal
06-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Amazon has it.

auntfrannie
06-07-2007, 06:47 AM
I just scanned through the on-line preview at Amazon and decided to buy it. I love it when the publishers offer the online preview....so helpful when you can't find the books in stores. The photos look great!

January-2007
06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
I can't wait to check this one out! It has a section on Hidden Mickeys? They had a Hidden Mickeys book in MouseGears and my husband was flipping through it but I would love to have something more than just that for my next book. He seems really interested in finding Hidden Mickeys so if he could use that part and I could look at pictures and all the rest, it would really be a win win! Thanks for posting this, I am going to go check it out.

Suz36
06-07-2007, 01:20 PM
I'd seen this book on Amazon for pre-sale orders, and got my hands on a copy as soon as possible. It lived up to, and surpassed, expectations! It's gorgeous!!!! I particularly like all the details about each individual attraction, the storylines of each ride. It's fantastic!! Every WDW fan should have a copy!

BashfulMom
06-07-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm posting here because we are going to have to go back to print again later this year, and wanted to know if anyone else has any comments good or bad about the book. We are considering expanding the book slightly, and want to know what else readers would like to see in it. Again, thank you all for your great comments.

One thing that I would like to see offered in a guidebook for WDW is more details about the resorts and the rooms. (i.e. a small diagram with the room layout, etc).

Minniemouse27
06-07-2007, 03:11 PM
One thing that I would like to see offered in a guidebook for WDW is more details about the resorts and the rooms. (i.e. a small diagram with the room layout, etc).

Passporter has this.

Dsnygirl
06-08-2007, 01:54 AM
:mickey: Thanks for the information - I'm going to check it out on Amazon a little later!! Can't wait to see what it's like! :thumbsup:

Diznee4Me
06-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the book - ordered my copy. The author did a great job over at Amazon promoting the book!:thumbsup: Sold me!

BashfulMom
06-08-2007, 09:28 AM
I ordered my copy from Barnes and Noble last night. I can't wait to get it.

:D

Namine'
06-09-2007, 06:54 AM
I'll have to look for it. It sounds great:mickey:
Thanks!

Riri529
06-09-2007, 02:17 PM
That's good to know. Thank you!

Diznee4Me
06-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Received mine yesterday. Great little book with a lot of info. Can't wait to sit down and dive into it!

kaerbear178
06-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks to all of you for your kind words about my book, "The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World." My husband and I are just thrilled about the response the book is getting. I'm posting here because we are going to have to go back to print again later this year, and wanted to know if anyone else has any comments good or bad about the book. We are considering expanding the book slightly, and want to know what else readers would like to see in it. Again, thank you all for your great comments.

Julie,
I love your book! The one thing that I would have liked more of was pictures and information about the resorts. Also, maybe extend the intineraries a little more. I personally don't use them but I know a lot of people like to use them to plan their trips. Let your daughter know her section on the pools was very well written!:mickey:

divinedi
06-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Got mine a couple of days ago, have been checking it out every chance I get (which isn't often unfortunately, this working for a living is the pits ;)) and I am thoroughly enjoying it:cloud9:.

Thanks for the info intercotees, would have never known about it if it wasn't for all of you!:notworth:. Keep up the great work!

disneyfan369
06-15-2007, 05:26 PM
That looks like a really good book! I'll have to try Barnes and Noble for it.

castlegirl
07-11-2007, 11:08 AM
I love this book!:thumbsup::thumbsup: And I thought I had them all! The photographs are amazing! I love all of the information that is not typical in a guide book. (ex. Background on the history of Cinderella). Just can't seem to put it down, and it just arrived yesterday.

I bought mine from Amazon. Couldn't find it in any bookstore.

My only suggestion would be to make the size of the print a bit larger. My age is showing when I try to read small print.:secret:

BronxTigger
07-22-2007, 11:33 PM
I finally got around to ordering this book. It should come this week. I was looking at the online photos on amazon and I can't wait for it to come!

HOLITRIN
07-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Hi Julie,

I agree in getting more information and photos of the resorts. Part of the magic of planning is choosing which resort we want to try next!

Amy276
07-23-2007, 10:32 AM
I got this book and the unofficial guide, and I have been reading both of them to get into the guide. I love the pictures in this book. It makes me wish I was there, and it really puts me in the disney mood. I also love the little extra facts and information. It makes everything even more special.

I love all the detailed information in the Unofficial guide, but it just doesn't give me the magic like the Complete Guide did. I've really enjoyed reading both of these books at the same time.

brownie
07-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm getting ready to start this book; it looks really good. I had to order it online; none of our local bookstores have it on the shelf.

sleepingbooty
07-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I just finished this book (after finding out about it from this thread!) - I have to agree, it is fantastic! So much info about each and every ride, instead of just a blurb. And the pictures are wonderful. I only wish it were twice the size, so the authors had as much room to devote to dining and resorts as they did to the parks. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
07-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Oooo. I'm so excited! Found this thread and went right to Amazon to order it! I can't wait for it. I look forward to a brand new perspective. I have my Passporter's, Birnbaums, Fodors, Luxury guide, Official, I have them all. (The WDW nut that I am!!) So, thanks for the information! And as others said, Julie, I too, look for resort information a great deal. That is probably half the fun for me. So pictures, layouts, tips, room recommendations, etc. are always so helpful! I can't wait for my copy!

tomorrowschild
07-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Love Disney World guide books and can't wait to get my hands on this book. I am going to make sure to order my copy of Amazon. So glad to hear about all the amazing color photos, so many of the guide books are laking in this area.:mickey:

sgdisney
07-30-2007, 10:53 AM
My only suggestion would be to make the size of the print a bit larger. My age is showing when I try to read small print.:secret:

My bifocaled old eyes agree!

I got this book from Amazon after reading this post last week and have read most of it and I agree, it is a special book, better than any other as far as park information goes. Love the detail given about each attraction, found lots of tidbits that I was not aware of. I've read Birmbaughs, Passporter, the Unofficial Guide and several others, but this by far is one of the best I've seen for great park information.

Dr. Disney
07-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Hands down, best book. Great insight offerred by the authors. Pictures are great. I purchased my copy for below cover price via {a very popular online auction site} and even had the authors sign the copy (Thanks Julie).

Recommendations for the update: My pictures!:number1::blush:

magicman
09-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the great suggestion on this book.

I received a copy of it as a birthday present last week, and I don't want to put it down.

IloveDisney71
09-10-2007, 10:38 PM
I've been to Disney lots of times, but I went and took a look at this book and just had to buy it. There was a ton of information in it and I highly recommend it to anyone who's never been to Disney before.

Minniemouse27
09-11-2007, 08:13 AM
I ended up ordering this book and I agree it is great...but... there is no way I see this as a "planning" book. It definitely needs to be used in conjunction w/ a good planning book such as Passporter.

I loved the explanations and the photography is really excellent. The backstories for each of the rides were great and I learned a lot.