PDA

View Full Version : Is 18% included too much?

CU Tiger
05-08-2007, 09:32 PM
I understand and agree with having the tip included when with large groups, but is 18% too much? For good service, I typically tip around 20% anyway if they deserve it. But, if I do not get good service, I do not want to automatically give 18%. I also have a hard time giving 18% when I am at a buffet. :shake: I can not see giving a CM who just gets our drinks the same as a CM who has to go back and forth for appetizers, salads, main courses, and deserts. For a group of 10 and the cost of meals at DW, 18% is a lot of money. Fortunately, we had great service the entire time we were there and did not have an issue with giving the 18% or more.:thumbsup:

What do you think about the 18%? :confused: :mickey:

minnie1956
05-08-2007, 09:46 PM
In a normal environment I would say 18% is more than plenty. But Disney is not a normal environment. The groups tends to be bigger and actually more demanding. I've noticed that at the places we've eaten, even the the buffets the servers work harder than at most places.
A table of 6-10 people can keep a server hopping with drink refills for junior, coffee for granny, pop for Dad, removing plates, etc.
At most places where we are they automatically add 15% for groups of 8 or more. And I'm talking a local "diner".Most people @ Disney "put the feed bag" on. I'm fine with the 18%. Haven't been disappointed :D yet.:thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm good with the 18%. This is WDW, and the service is usually excellent! As a rule, I will add a small tip to the 18% if service is very good.

Also, for a large group, just keeping glasses filled is a real job. So, even at a buffet I would deem 18% appropriate.:thumbsup:

snifflesmcg
05-09-2007, 12:01 AM
I have mixed emotions on this subject. I was a server for 3 1/2 years and tips are how I made my money. With that said, 20% is what you would get for good service. I do have a hard time tipping extra if the service is bad and I feel I should be able to add my own tip. I always tip well but I feel I shouldn't be forced into it.

Mickey91
05-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Well, you have to consider that even at a buffet, with eight or more people, it is tough to keep glasses filled. And, they wait staff at Disney is usually top notch. They don't just fill your glass. They make sure you see the characters. They help talk your kids into eating the green beans. They are as much of the dining experience as the food!

Now I will say that if you encounter someone whom you feel is totally undeserving, basically ruined your dinner, etc., then talk to a supervisor about the situation and see what can be done.

Natazu
05-09-2007, 03:00 AM
First of all, when a gratuity is added automatically, it ceases to be a gratuity. It becomes a payment. If a restaurant chooses to do this for large groups, there's not much I can do about it but I guarantee if the server doesn't deserve it, I'm getting a manager.

That said, 18% is about right. That way, the average servers get an average tip. With the excellent ones, you have the opportunity to leave more but aren't forced to.

My two cents: let management know about the bad ones, pay the 18% for the status quo, and give the rest of them a bump, 25% minimum.

P.S. At buffets, the cost for a meal is less, therefore the amount the 18% translates to is less. I'm good with it.

prttynpnk
05-09-2007, 07:10 AM
My two cents: let management know about the bad ones, pay the 18% for the status quo, and give the rest of them a bump, 25% minimum.

This is our rule of thumb,too.
I've never waited tables- and have always thought that any job I refuse to do deserves special thanks- especially if you've ever had my Mother grill you for 5 minutes on the exact origin,prep and plating of her salmon?!

DizneyRox
05-09-2007, 07:58 AM
I tip according to service. I consider myself a good tipper in general, but I also have no problems leaving nothing for a tip if the service was poor.

It depends on the establishment if I will get a manager or not. Some places I have no intention of returning, so bothing with a manager would just be a waste of time, others I will take the time to educate them on my expectations for a reasonable tip and see what happens.

Now, when a "tip" is included, that's a whole new situation. I find myself making sure they earn it, not by being a pain in the sitdown, but I don't let then just coast through the service without performing what I think qualifies for adequate service. If that still doesn't happen, you can bet you bottom dollar there will be a manage at the table before I pay the bill.

Part of the reason I don't get the DDP is the included gratuity.

Cathy S
05-09-2007, 03:27 PM
I do not think that 18% is too much. I agree that if you have a problem go to management, but we found ourselves actually adding more to all of our ts meals. The service was so good and the staff so accomodating that we felt an additional tip was warranted at every one of our meals. These folks work hard to please and I am glad to add a little extra for their effort.

biodtl
05-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I have no problem with the 18%. Like a lot of others, I tend to add more, since I have always had excellent service. If I didn't I would speak up about it, but I never had to. To be honest, I never really thought about it, to be honest, since when I am in WDW, I'm too happy to care.

KylesMom
05-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Groups of co-workers go out for lunch all the time around here, and an automatic gratuity is always added in for 8 or more of us - regardless of the service level given. In perusing some of my menus, I found that the minimum added gratuity is Hooters at 15%, while other, nicer restaurants request a 19% gratuity of parties 8 or more. Plenty of times we've had to pay a server that wasn't worth the $$ around here, and after a few times of lousy service, we just quit going to that particular restaurant. As someone else posted, however, Disney is held to a higher standard.

If service is truly that lousy where you were going to tip $0 - $20 on a $150+ bill, I must say I would ask to speak with a manager, state the many reasons why your server didn't deserve a tip (or a very small one) and ask that the charge be taken off the bill. For standard service, I see nothing wrong with adding the 18% gratuity in. If it is exemplary service, give them more.