PDA

View Full Version : Weight Watcher Friendly?

Lucyrella
05-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Can anyone tell me if any of the restaurants are Weight Watcher friendly? Like if calories and info are on the menu's at all? Was just curious...:eat:

kakn7294
05-08-2007, 10:36 PM
No, not at all. I had a hard time when I was trying to follow Weight Watchers and eat at Disney. It can be done, but it takes some effort. I gave up after a couple of days. However, with all the walking, I didn't gain weight.

mook3y
05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Haven't you heard? Due to Mickey Magic, all food eaten on property has no calories! :secret:

:D

Seriously though, most restaurants (esp. TS) have plenty of healthier choices to choose from. The main issue is the size of the portions and how good it is. It can be difficult to refrain from cleaning your plate.

We just figure we balance it out by all the walking we do every day in the parks.

vamaggie
05-09-2007, 10:07 AM
I agree with Mook3y. Depending on which program you are using you should be able to "guesstimate" what would be good WW choices at all the restaurants. Plan on lots of veggies, water and walking to help out too. If you belong to WW online, you could try to email them for some more suggestions before you go. Have fun and remember: there's always next week to make up for any slips. Enjoy your time at the World!

TheDuckRocks
05-09-2007, 11:02 AM
I just did a double check on what my weight loss was in Oct. while I was at WDW, for 2 weeks it was 1.5 pounds. I pretty much ate what I wanted but not as much of it.:thumbsup: Make sure you get your veggies and fruit and don't forget to drink plenty of water. My hubby and I also split meals a lot (example: at Sci Fi Dine In we ordered one cheeseburger, one order of onion rings and we each got a chocolate shake, they split it in the kitchen for us without our having to ask them). I also don't walk as much as most of you as I have to use a scooter because of arthritis, so if you're walking a lot and keeping up with little ones, you will be burning up the points.
Good luck and enjoy your trip, I'm sure you'll do fine.

BrerSchultzy
05-09-2007, 11:09 AM
My wife and I were on WW the first time we went...and our logic was that we were definitely getting about 3 or 4 hours of walking time in, so we had a LOT of extra points. As far as the meals go...if you've been on the program long enough, you can definitely take a good guess on what everything's worth. At the CS places, get the Grilled Chicken sandwich instead of the cheeseburger. Take apples and celery and stuff to snack on. And remember....it's only a few days...if you go over by a few points each day, try not to let it get to you. You're discipline over the length of the diet is stressful...we go on vacation to release stress...I'm not saying go crazy with the Pizza and Milkshakes...but have fun.

You know what? WW is kind of like vacation planning. When you have every second of every day planned, it doesn't seem like a vacation at all. But when you keep a general idea in mind, and leave flexibility to change plans, you have more fun. :thumbsup:

SurferStitch
05-09-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm not on WW, but I am pretty strict with my fat and calorie intake and exercise routine. That being said...

I pretty much eat what I want at WDW, and never gain weight (sometimes I lose weight).

No, I don't eat big, fatty meals 3 times a day, but I splurge on sweets (cookies are my weakness), eat cheesy/rich foods, big dinners, etc. I also have only a bagel some mornings (and danish the next, or a big breakfast now and then :thedolls: ). Lunch is sometimes something bad, or sometimes just a salad.

Point is, I can't physically eat big, bad meals all the time, or I feel :sick: , but I DEFINITELY don't deprive myself of anything I want.

I just get back on the wagon when we get home and watch the diet and exercise.

disney100%
05-09-2007, 04:36 PM
I was on weight watchers a few trips ago and I really had no problem simply because of all the walking I did. Of course, I didn't chow down a kitchen sink from Beaches and Cream or anything (though I wanted too :blush: ), but I was able to have treats here and there without feeling guilty. I found a lot of the restaurants have plenty of choices for healthier options, but like someone above mentioned, the portions can be quite large and I would just leave some food behind. Because I was on vacation though, I made sure I didn't deprive myself of anything, especially since I only go to WDW every other year! If I remember correctly I lost 2 pounds when I weighed in at my next meeting following that vacation.

cperry92380
05-11-2007, 04:09 PM
I understand...
I'm actually still VERY new to WW, so I haven't learned how to figure the points myself, just by 'guesstimating' by looking @ the cal/fat (other than just common sense about some things).
But I do figure with all of the walking you'll be doing, it should pretty much even out... and don't forget your FLEX POINTS!!!! Lifesavers!!!:cloud9:

Marilyn Michetti
05-11-2007, 08:14 PM
:rotfl: :funny: :laughing: :rotfl:

SORRY, I'm O.K. now.......:blush:

Actually, you might be surprised how you will do, but aside from that, I hear duct tape works!:D

thejens
05-13-2007, 06:09 PM
I have reached my goal weight finally, but am doing some WDW "preventative dieting" before my trip in just 2 weeks! I am trying to lose a couple of pounds in advance so I won't be too bummed if I gain. I am on the meal plan so I suspect I will be challenged to resist all those yummy calories! However, I will try to eat the things I am craving (rice krispy mickey mouse ears) but leave the stuff they just give you with your meal (how many carrot cake desserts can you really eat?) or at least just eat a little bit. I'll let you know how it goes!

ElenitaB
05-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Before a business trip one year when I was just starting to follow WW, I got the best advice from my leader, and it was, "walk it through the garden." In other words, try to ensure that your choices include either veggies or fruit. That can easily be done at my table service restaurants by ordering a salad for your appetizer or entree (Columbia Harbor House has a mean-looking salad on its menu, and also vegetarian chili and a hummus sandwich, for example). Check out menus before you go so that you can avoid walking into someplace that doesn't have a choice that would suit your eating style; you can find lots here on Info Central (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/default.asp). Other CS restaurants that have some points-friendly choices include: Cosmic Ray's (MK - rotisserie chicken and veggie burgers), Flame Tree BBQ (AK - fruit plate w/yogurt), and Sunshine Seasons at Epcot.

Table service restaurants tend to offer a wider variety of choices... again, it might help to plan ahead a bit.

My last bit of advice: take a pedometer with you! You'll be surprised at how much walking you do there! :walk:

Chic-a-pin
05-13-2007, 09:08 PM
I too am a Weight Watcher! We went in December and I pretty much ate whatever I wanted, just not as much (sometimes, haha!) Anyway, with all the walking you do it really helps counter all of the extra points you might eat. I only had a gain of 4oz. I was pretty surprised about that! Just go, have a good time & you'll do fine :mickey:

Sharon1026
05-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Just got back from WDW and am a WW.

It can be challenging, that's for sure!! However, Disney does offer many healthy choices. Sometimes it tougher with counter service, but at Table service restaurants, you can have the kitchen cook things how you want them.

Animal Kingdom has some great, healthy menu choices.
Epcot is dangerous, since each country has something very tempting! (Don't go to Germany for lunch - the sausage is probably 30 points by itself!)
You can do it if you work at it. It takes a bit of effort, but being thin is way better than eating a greasy burger!
There are lots of pizza/burger/chicken nuggets on the menu, if you aren't careful (Casey's corner in MK - hot dogs/fries - not a ww friendly place) You just have to search out good options. Go to the intercot info area - they have restaurant menus - you can get an idea of where to go.
Good luck, you can do this just fine.
:stitch2:

BethieTink
05-15-2007, 08:37 AM
I have been doing WW for 14 months and been to Disney 2x since then. Both times I have gone, I didn't worry about it. I also missed the weigh-in either before or after each trip for various reasons (in December we were away for Christmas and in May, my birthday was the weekend before).

I weighed in on Saturday, and just like the December trip, I had gained about 3 pounds. Too me that is not a big deal. I am down 62.2 pounds since joining and less than 10 pounds from my goal. I think that the beauty of WW is that you can go a little nuts on a trip and as long as you get back on program when you get home, you should be fine.

disney100%
05-15-2007, 12:14 PM
I have been doing WW for 14 months and been to Disney 2x since then. Both times I have gone, I didn't worry about it. I also missed the weigh-in either before or after each trip for various reasons (in December we were away for Christmas and in May, my birthday was the weekend before).

I weighed in on Saturday, and just like the December trip, I had gained about 3 pounds. Too me that is not a big deal. I am down 62.2 pounds since joining and less than 10 pounds from my goal. I think that the beauty of WW is that you can go a little nuts on a trip and as long as you get back on program when you get home, you should be fine.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

cperry92380
05-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Another question...
Did anyone who went to WDW and *tried* to 'stay on track' eat w/the DDP or opt out of it?
Did you find it more cost effective to be on the plan or not?
I've been on the DDP once, and felt forced to eat all that I'm allotted w/the plan...
Didn't want to waste any credits!!! (pre-WW days...)

BethieTink
05-15-2007, 02:39 PM

Thanks!! It hasn't been easy, but it has been worth it!!

BethieTink
05-15-2007, 02:45 PM

Thanks!! It hasn't been easy, but it has been worth it!!