PDA

View Full Version : Kids Activities and Ages

tarzan_rocks
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
We will be sailing our first Disney Cuise, first cruise in fact. We will be traveling with kids ages 2, 4, 5 and 7.

I was reading some of the Disney literature on the Oceaneers Club and kids activities. It looks like they separate the kids in groups ages 3-4 and 5-7.

It is important to us that that all the kids do their activities together. They would not be comfortable splitting up. The two-year-old will be just days from his third brithday.

Do they allow for families with varying ages to let their kids participate in activities together or is it possible that they actually split families aprt just to fit into their predetermined age groups?

I also have a specific question about the two-year-old. I imagine they don't allow children under three into the Oceaneers Club because children under three are basically free. They aren't paying for the service so they shouldn't get it. I understand that. Is there a way we can pay for the service so my one-week-from-three-years-old can participate in the club with the rest of the kids?

Please share your experiences with this. Thank a bunch.

TR

TammiMcMan
05-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Okay, I'll start with the easiest question and that's about your 2 year old. The rules of the club have more to do with potty training, than paying for the service. If your youngest is that close to his birthday and he's potty trained, most likely they will allow him into the club as a regular guest. When you arrive on board, stop by the kids club and speak with the counselors. At worst, if he's not allowed in, you are free to accompany him at any time inside the club. He just can't be there by himself as they don't have the staff to change diapers or remind and take kids to the bathroom.

As to keeping the age groups together, this may be more of an issue. Basically, the 3 to 7 year olds are all in the same area anyway. It's just when they have scheduled activities, that they are grouped according to age. The older kids get to do things like making flubber, or toll house cookies, animation, etc. Younger ones are entertained by activities like story time and hide and seek. They aren't going to allow the youngest one to move up with the 7 year olds and I think a 7 year old would find the younger activities too babyish.

You'll get a schedule showing all the times of the group activities. If you'd feel more comfortable, you can take them out of the club during those times, or join the kids and do something else as a family while the activity is going on.

Our experience was that our daughter was a bit nervous being on her own. She had a cousin there, but he was in the higher age group. Her concern lasted all of 2 mintues, once she found friends her own age. I know it may sound uncomfortable to you right now, but my guess is that your children will be fine splitting up for an hour or so to play with other kids.

tarzan_rocks
05-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks Tammi. That's exactly the type of information I needed. We weren't planning on leaving the kids in the club without us there, certainly not the youngest. We were mostly wanting them to have some playtime and structured activities together as a family. That's why we go on vacation, to spend time together as a family, right?

We have been to Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort and participated in their activities and crafts as a family and loved them. The recreation staff was great with the kids and very much encouraged us to be a part of the experience. We hope to have a similar type of experience on the cruise.

Thanks again,
TR

TammiMcMan
05-09-2007, 03:46 PM
That's why we go on vacation, to spend time together as a family, right?Absolutely, but if you are looking to grab an hour for yourself, maybe a coffee drink in the Cove Cafe or a little relaxer in the Vista Spa, I wouldn't hesitate to give the kids some alone time in the clubs as well. I think you'll be extremely pleased with how well run the kids programs are on the DCL. You are definitely more than welcome to participate and even away from the clubs, there are many family activities planned on board.