PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Unexpected Surprises

Gator
05-08-2007, 05:20 PM
For my 500th post, I wanted something cool to talk about. Have you ever been on an attraction where you saw something unexpected, but cool? One of my favorite unexpecteds was when I first went on the WDW version of Splash Mountain. There's a long stretch of water near the middle of the ride and when you turn, you can see the Castle. It was so cool! You can't do that at DL.

On Test Track, I video taped the part where it speeds up and noticed how I caught SSE so large in the background.

At Blizard Beach, I thought it was really cool to see SSE and the Hat at DS from the top of Summit Plummet. I liked it so much, I climbed all the way back to the top to take pictures.

maizey05
05-08-2007, 07:31 PM
I always look around when I'm up in the air, waiting in line at BB. I think you can see the tree of life from there too, and maybe CS.

celebrationasheley
05-09-2007, 01:09 AM
While climbing the hill in Expedition Everest.... I love looking all the way around before it is too late. Celebration, Magic Kingdom, Mgm, Epcot, I love what you can see!

Mickey91
05-11-2007, 10:03 PM
We love the view from Splash Mountain! Also, the view of the Haunted Mansion from Tom Sawyers Island is grand!!

pink
05-11-2007, 10:47 PM
One of mine was probally when we went on Mickey's Philarmagic and we could smell the pie when we saw it on the screen, that was really cool. Also, the view from on top of SM is amazing as well. :mickey:

battle beast
05-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Going into the Hall of Presidents and having a CM KNOW WHO CANADA'S PRIME MINISTERS ARE!

The guy was amazing, and I'll never forget him. James.

Thanks again, James!:thumbsup:

KAT1811
05-12-2007, 12:15 AM
I have to say that every time I'm at WDW I see something different. My favorite was when DH, DD#1, and myself were riding Splash Mountain and we came up on the final drop and the parade was going on below we got a great view! It was wonderful. The best part was that we got to ride a few times more without even getting off the ride!!!

A Big Kid
05-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Riding the Liberty Belle River Boat and seeing the Haunted Mansion. From that view, I noticed that the entrance to the HM is actually a crypt. Pretty cool.

Movieguy
05-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Mine would have to be my very first ride on Splash Mountain, when I was about 15. I came in expecting at least a decent log flume ride, and I came off of it totally amazed, and infused with the Disney magic all over again.

CM~Mserrano
05-13-2007, 05:53 PM
If you climb to the top of the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse at night, they have an excellent view of both tomorrowland and the castle from up there. I asked a CM if we could watch the fireworks from there one night, but as the whole thing is a tree, it kind of blocks the view. However it's a very nice place to take in the view, very romantic as well :blush:

LoriMistress
05-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Hello GATOR!!! I'm actually close by to you. I live near the Sacto area.

Anyhow, one of the things that I love to look at (and still be at awe no matter how many times I ride it), is the POTC, while going through the ride, you look up and clouds are slowly moving. It's breath-taking to me.

ghost999
05-14-2007, 09:32 PM
the best ever scene i have ever seen is when we went over the last fall on sm and then a firework went off right before we fell and it was just amazing. :mickey:
also if you notice on Space mtn. the asteroids and the space stations moving are pretty cool. :mickey:

angedeaile
05-15-2007, 01:04 AM
One of mine was probally when we went on Mickey's Philarmagic and we could smell the pie when we saw it on the screen, that was really cool....:

I LOVE that part :cloud9:

That has to be my favorite attraction when I think about it. I was so filled with the Disney spirit during the show that I actually cried.

I was just so happy to have finally made it to DW after years of wishing...I can't wait to go again!

mook3y
05-15-2007, 08:44 AM
For me, it is Mickey saying good night to you as you leave the MK at closing. Made me feel like I was 7 again and to have my kids with me all excited to tell him goodnight and see you soon! priceless magical moment there. :cloud9:

darthmacho
05-15-2007, 09:06 AM
It's funny how seeing one WDW landmark from atop another is so exciting, such as seeing ToT from atop Summit Plummet, etc. I go out of my way to take pictures on those occasions.

As for a surprise though, seeing fireworks from Splash and Big Thunder Mountains was exciting.

Also, the first time I ever saw a talking trash can, a walking plant woman, or pavement that lights up as you walk on it, I was amazed. :mickey:

Aggie97
05-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Last year we were riding the TTA, and Space Mountain was temporarily stopped. All of the lights were on inside it. It was really cool to see how the ride was configured - much different than what we had pictured in the dark!

ravsluvdisney
05-15-2007, 02:55 PM
One 'unexpected' I recall is a few years back we spent our first night at one of the All-Star Resorts. Our 2 DS' wanted to go see the fireworks but we got in late to WDW and had no intentions of heading out to the parks.
Lo and behold, from our 2nd floor balcony it turned out we could see the MK and Epcot fireworks. Boys happy. Parents happy. :mickey:

Main Street Jim
05-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Going into the Hall of Presidents and having a CM KNOW WHO CANADA'S PRIME MINISTERS ARE!

The guy was amazing, and I'll never forget him. James.This guy is *simply amazing*. I try to catch his shows whenever we're visiting HoP. VERY knowledgeable about this country and others as well.

It's teh "little things" and details that make this place. For example, did you know that the second floor above Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe in Liberty Square is actually "Ichabod Crane, Voice Instructor"? I never knew that until just a coupla months ago...LOL...how 'bout Lady and Tramp's pawprints in the cement outside of Tony's Town Square Restaurant? We have a "wooden leg named Smith" in the lobby at the Frontierland train station (if you've seen Mary Poppins, you know the joke ;) ). Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is actually Star Command Headquarters in Tomorrowland. You can find an original Dream Machine from the original incarnation of Journey into Imagination, over at MouseGear. You can see a hovercraft from Horizons in the Backlot Express restaurant (next to Star Tours) over at Studios. Just all kinds of cool lil' things ;)

goin2disney
05-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Every trip we have so many surprises. I love when you turn a corner and walk right into a character:mickey:
The best was when on our last trip Buzz was closed for refurb and on our very last day they opened it and it was still supposed to be closed! My son was the happiest ever! We thought we would have missed out but it was a great surprise. We could smell the new paint and all.
This is no surprise but maybe to myself, I still cry every single time I hear wishes and watch the fireworks just like the very first time. OH an who can forget the first time you saw
Tink fly across the sky.

GenieOfPA
05-15-2007, 06:58 PM
not really "unexpected", but i like that when you take the monorail to epcot it circles around spaceship earth before dropping you off... gives you a real feel for how big it really is and its cool to see all of the park and get a quick glimpse of ride lines.

LoriMistress
05-15-2007, 07:17 PM
That has to be my favorite attraction when I think about it. I was so filled with the Disney spirit during the show that I actually cried. Don't worry. I cried during that show as well.

Gator
05-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Lo and behold, from our 2nd floor balcony it turned out we could see the MK and Epcot fireworks. Boys happy. Parents happy. :mickey:

I had the same surprise at Coronado. From the 3rd floor of the Ranchos, I could see and hear Illuminations (Christams version). It was sooo cool.:cool:

Disdad13
05-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Last year we were coming out of the gift shop after Dinosaur at AK and, as we walked around the corner, there were Chip n' Dale, standing there all by themselves - no CMs, no other people around them. Our DS4 loves Chip n' Dale and immediately went over to them. Chip n' Dale proceeded to absolutely mob our DS! It was awesome! They picked him up and twirled him around, completely smothered him in a big sandwich hug and were just amazing with him. There were no other people around vying for their attention, so they took extra time with him. It caught us so off guard and was so wonderful that I never even thought to get the video camera out:( You expect character interaction at the parks, but this was truly one of those special treats and one I will never forget!

StitchplusTink=STINK
05-17-2007, 06:21 PM
on EE, when you get to teh top where you see the broken track, if your in the front seat you have an amazing view of the property. nothing in particular like TOT or something. but stilol very cool

mainemajor
05-28-2007, 09:16 PM
riding on Splash Mt. during the fireworks is awesome! When you round that one flat bend and can look out over the kingdom and see the fireworks exploding is priceless:mickey:

katzctkpt
05-28-2007, 09:54 PM
I too like all the unexpected and truthfully can't remember all of them......somewhere deep inside they're, there, that's why we keep going back.....I agree with one of the previous posts on seeing Tink for the first time fly through the night sky.....actually, the first time was the last, as we have numerous time tried to "catch" her again, however she seem to be more elusive than one would think. The last two years we've tried to "catch" her on film and just seem to be out of luck.....maybe in 24 days she'll suprise us........

nicole48040
05-28-2007, 11:28 PM
I know this may sound silly but the 1st time I went to the AK and was there waiting for the gates to open and they started playing the Lion King song right before they started letting people in I found myself so giddy with anticipation and feeling that song's vibration actally brought tears to my eyes. I know it seems like a silly thing but that moment made me feel like I was six again and believing in all was magical and possible. I really cherish that about DW, the possibility of feeling like a child again and watching my children feel the magic too.

artyboy
05-29-2007, 09:16 AM
It's teh "little things" and details that make this place. For example, did you know that the second floor above Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe in Liberty Square is actually "Ichabod Crane, Voice Instructor"? I never knew that until just a coupla months ago...LOL...how 'bout Lady and Tramp's pawprints in the cement outside of Tony's Town Square Restaurant? We have a "wooden leg named Smith" in the lobby at the Frontierland train station (if you've seen Mary Poppins, you know the joke ;) ). Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is actually Star Command Headquarters in Tomorrowland. You can find an original Dream Machine from the original incarnation of Journey into Imagination, over at MouseGear. You can see a hovercraft from Horizons in the Backlot Express restaurant (next to Star Tours) over at Studios. Just all kinds of cool lil' things ;)

WOW...a bunch of things that I haven't looked for...(and I thought that I'd seen it all...)

Thanks Jim!

I'm gonna check all of this out on this trip!

mousetrapper
05-29-2007, 06:03 PM
One of our favorite (and biggest) surprises is one that will most likely never happen again....

We went on Thunder Mountain RR on a beautiful clear night, our last ride before leisurely heading over to Chef Mickey's for dinner...when the train shot out into the open, it was P-O-U-R-I-N-G rain...the skies had just opened up in that brief amount of time we were in the queue! We were absolutely shocked; there was no warning (no thunder, ironically enough!). There was nothing to be done...no time to cover up, take off glasses, etc. The rain was literally pelting us in the face full blast. We were drenched and laughing hysterically the entire ride!! You should have seen the faces of everyone still standing in the queue and those in the next train to depart when our train returned to the station. Lots of women looked frantic knowing their hairdo was about to get wrecked!:fit:

We all had to buy new outfits (including shoes) when we got to the Contemporary...needless to say, we were a little late for our ADRs!!

Stu29573
05-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Actually, almost the exact same thing happened to us (and I got it on tape!) When we started out on Big Thunder there were very few clouds in the sky, but when we went through the caverns and came out again, it was pouring! On the tape you can hear everyone screaming...not because of the ride, but because of the rain! It was great!:D

Jason Hook
05-30-2007, 09:51 AM
It's been a whille since I've been to Blizzard Beach, but I think you can also see the tree of life from summit plummet. Correct me if I'm wrong. I may have seen it from somewhere else.