PDA

View Full Version : Many Questions...how does it work?

nadisnut
05-08-2007, 02:48 PM
:mickey:
I've watched the DVC Video, but still am not totally clear on how it works, ok, you purchase into the DVC with a one time price, and you pay annual membership fee, so do you also have to purchase the points each year? What is the purchase price, closing costs and annual memberhsip fees.. Help explain please.........:confused:

Ian
05-08-2007, 05:10 PM
I can probably help here, since we just mailed off our downpayment and we went through the presentation just the other day ....

Here's the basics you need to know:

Depending on where you buy there is a one time price per point. For example, we bought 160 points (the minimum) for $104 per point. Our total purchase price was $16,640 ($104 x 160). Once we pay that amount we're done. The only think you pay after that is your annual dues (which can be paid once a year or monthly ... at Saratoga I think they're about $700 per year ... ).

The closing costs are a one time fee and ours were like $300. It varies, though, based on how much you finance, how many points you buy, etc.

Disney also provided downpayment assistance of $10 per point for us, so that reduced our purchase price by $1,600.

Basically you buy your points one time and that's it. After that all you pay is maintenance fees.

mouseaddict
05-08-2007, 06:03 PM
WDWacky
We just purchased today!!! Saratoga Springs too! And first trip..Aug 12-20!

rsumrall
05-08-2007, 06:08 PM
My offer on pts at SSR just passed ROFR through Disney, so some of your questions are on the forefront of my mind.

One time fees - points, closing costs.

Annual fees - dues (payable in january or every month, you choose).

Hope this helps.

Maleficent's Dad
05-08-2007, 08:36 PM
so do you also have to purchase the points each year?
Each year you receive your full allotment of points. For example, if your "Use Year" is May, then on May 1st, you will receive your entire allotment of that year's points (min of 160).

In addition, you can "bank" a year's points (or portion thereof) towards next year, or "borrow" all or part of next year's points. However, "banked" points cannot then be "borrowed!" Confused yet? ;)

Annual maintanence varies by resort; you'll pay a certain amount per point that you own. Thus, the more points you own, the more you'll pay in maintenance fees. To give you an idea, if you own 160 points at SSR, the maintenance fees there are $4.12 per point per year. So you'd pay $659.20 this year. All DVC resort annual fees are between $4 and $5 per year except for Vero Beach which is $5.62 per point.

Donald A
05-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Each year you get the number of points you bought initially until the vacation club interest expires. My contract at Saratoga Springs expires in 2054. Every December until then I will get 150 points. I will have annual dues payable every January. This is based on the number of points you have. This past January I paid $4.12 a point for Saratoga Springs.

Here is the benefit. The points charts will not change ever at the DVC resorts. 150 points will get me the exact same thing this year as it will in 40 years. The amount of points needed varies on time of year (Christmas break uses the most) and weekday vs. weekend (weekend is more points). For example, say a two bedroom vacation home on a weekday in January 2008 at Saratoga Springs is 27 points. The cash value for a non-member to rent this room is currently about $600 a night.

If we jump ahead to January 2050. This 2 bedroom will still be 27 points a night.

BUT...........

The cash value will be ??????
Who knows, $2000 a night or maybe more. That is why so many people think this is a good deal. You buy the points when you buy your vacation club interest and this is a one time purchase. All you pay for is annual dues, transportation to WDW, food, and theme park admission. Fortunately, there currently are also "perks" for member discounts on food and activities at WDW. However, the only true guarantee is those points every year.

nadisnut
05-09-2007, 06:36 PM
:number1: :number1:
Thanks for explaining it, it sounds like something we will HAVE to do, but one last question..
How does Disney determine your "month", when you will get your annual points? And how many years can you "bank" your points

Okay that's TWO questions....

Donald A
05-09-2007, 10:15 PM
1) I am not sure how they determine your "use year." I imagine it is based on when you buy. We bought in November 2006 and our use year is December.

2) The most points you can have at one time is three years worth. One year of banked points, a current years points, and borrowing all the points in a upcoming year. (ie, if you bought 150 points, the most you can ever have at one time to use is 450).

It is more confusing than this with rules (ie, once you bank points out of a use year this is a non-reversable decision and they are not available until the next year). However, this is the just of the whole thing.

missnursette
05-10-2007, 02:29 PM
OK, I'll pay approx. $16,000 for hotel stay. Does this include any tickets? Or is this for your stay only? What I am trying to understand everything. What resorts can i choose from?

sillyolbear
05-10-2007, 03:03 PM
It does not include park tickets, but a perk of being a DVC member currently is a discount on an annual pass.

The accommodations at WDW are Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas, Old Key West, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, and soon Villas at Animal Kingdom lodge. With one resort, the one you buy an interest in, being your home resort which can be booked 11 months out and the others booked 7 months before your vacation.

Good questions.

lockedoutlogic
05-11-2007, 09:09 AM
I can probably help here, since we just mailed off our downpayment and we went through the presentation just the other day ....

Here's the basics you need to know:

Depending on where you buy there is a one time price per point. For example, we bought 160 points (the minimum) for $104 per point. Our total purchase price was $16,640 ($104 x 160). Once we pay that amount we're done. The only think you pay after that is your annual dues (which can be paid once a year or monthly ... at Saratoga I think they're about $700 per year ... ).

The closing costs are a one time fee and ours were like $300. It varies, though, based on how much you finance, how many points you buy, etc.

Disney also provided downpayment assistance of $10 per point for us, so that reduced our purchase price by $1,600.

Basically you buy your points one time and that's it. After that all you pay is maintenance fees.

I may be confused here....so I apologize if in fact I am....

But aren't you the person who blasts DVC incessantly on the Imagineering Board?

Why the change of heart?

(Again...sorry if I got you confused with someone else)