PDA

View Full Version : MGM dinner help?

team_paz
05-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi there, I was wondering what you all would recommend for some WDW first timers when we're at MGM for dinner? We'll be on the DDP, so a buffet seems like a good choice, but I've heard a lot of good things about 50's Prime Time being fun. We have a DD5 and DS2, and we already have a few character meals on other days...whatd'ya think?

Twinsowner
05-07-2007, 11:17 PM
The 50's is a really fun place. The servers will include the children in their "theme". The food is excellent if you enjoy"home cookin" with some of the best desserts on property IMO! go there and have fun!!!

Jared
05-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Hollywood and Vine is a solid buffet, but Disney-MGM Studios offers better choices.

50's Prime Time Cafe is a lot of fun, especially if you are interested in playing along. The food is nothing spectacular, but not bad. The desserts are delicious.

If you are willing to spend two credits, try the Hollywood Brown Derby. I have never eaten there, but almost every review of this restaurant is glowing.

Finally, my family had a wonderful experience at Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano in January. We went in expecting mediocre fare, but left completely satisfied. The bread and sun-dried tomato dip is an unbelievable starter.

team_paz
05-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the quick replies! Mama Mia's sounds so good, and I LOVE finding good Italian food. Unfortunately for me Italian isn't DH's favorite (he's a pickier eater than I am). I was leaning toward 50's mostly because it seems like a unique experience and we're definitely the "playing along" type! Plus DH loves home-cooking kind of food, and I love food in general (especially milkshakes!) I just wondered since I keep hearing that the DDP is so much food, and to go with buffets, etc. At least we have some buffets on other days!

Thanks for the input, I can hardly wait!

jszczur5
05-07-2007, 11:53 PM
My kids loved the Sci-Fi Diner. The food was very good, the atmosphere (kind of an A & W car-hop meets cheesy B-movie drive-in) was terrific, and Michael , our server, was the best server we had during our 10 day trip. He kept telling us to pay attention to certain up-coming parts of the movie, and was very attentive. The 50's Prime Time Cafe would be our runner up choice. My parents, my husband and I enjoyed the atmosphere more than my 10 and 11 year old boys did. My oldest son did say that he felt like he was in Leave it to Beaver's kitchen, but they didn't really buy into the kitsch factor, like they did at Sci-Fi.
We are going again this summer and have ADR's for both these restaurants, as well as Hollywood and Vine for the Fantasmic package.
Enjoy.

team_paz
05-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Wow, how did I miss the drive-in movie place?! How cool is that! The menu looks perfect for DH and the kids, and my kids are going to think the car tables are awesome! I guess we'll save the 50's for next time (am I already thinking next time???? There hasn't even been a "this time"!)

Thanks for the family friendly suggestion, I'm so glad I joined intercot! :thumbsup:

Natazu
05-08-2007, 01:24 AM
We'll be on the DDP, so a buffet seems like a good choice
Actually, on the dining plan, buffets tend to be a poor value. At MGM, the best TS restaurant is Brown Derby by leaps and bounds. However, it costs 2TS credits so you may or may not want to do that. 50s and Mama Melrose are ok. They both have pretty good food. 50s is the more fun of the two. It's a neat experience. Sci-Fi has a neat atmosphere but the food is below average. That's just my opinion though.

Brown Derby - four stars
50s Prime Time - three stars
Mama Melrose - two and a half stars
Hollywood & Vine - two stars
Sci-Fi Dine In - one star

jefmblrd
05-08-2007, 05:12 AM
The Prime Time is a lot of fun if you get a server who is really playing his/her role up. I used to take my kids there when they were little, and they loved it when the server was "on". Unfortunately the last two times we went-it was to quote a Disney phrase "bad show" and wasn't fun at all. The food is fair at best, so I can't really recommend it.

Hollywood & Vine is a buffet, and I try to stay away from those (except for Boma at AK Lodge which is quite good.)

We ate at Mama Melrose as part of the Backstage Magic Tour last month, and it was just okay. I'm glad we didn't use a TS credit on it.

I've never eaten at the Sci-Fi, which has great theming but by many accounts not great food.

That leaves Brown Derby, which I hear is quite good. It costs 2 TS credits though, and I'd rather use those on a restaurant like the California Grill.

My recommendation would be to do just that and save your credits for a better restaurant than those in MGM.

RAIDER
05-08-2007, 08:14 AM
sci fi restaurant ...the atmosphere will blow you away ..its so unique :thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
05-08-2007, 12:07 PM
We LOVE the 50's Prime Time!!:mickey: It's a lot of fun and the food is GREAT!!

Figgyluv03
05-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Prime Time! I ate there with my parents and brother when we were younger. I think I was the only one who didn't get yelled at because I was the only one who didnt' have my elbows on the table. We had lots of fun watching the old tvs and our "cousin" (waiter) was the coolest! Have lots of fun!

jenperich
05-08-2007, 01:05 PM
I would recommend the Sci-Fi Diner. It is SOOO awesome!! It's a staple every time I go to MGM. It has great food and the experience is well worth the wait! :eat:

Pop Centurion
05-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Personally I'd take the 5-10min trip over to the Boardwalk by either boat or foot and eat at Big River Grill or Spoodles. Just some options to think about.

GreenBeetle
05-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Love H & V for the many choices - something for everyone. I found 50s Prime Time to be a little cramped in those kitchens - I like a little more elbow room.

tony2979
05-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Sci-Fi, Sci-Fi, Sci-Fi......Even if you just go for a snack, don't MISS IT!!!! :mickey:

maryt01
05-08-2007, 02:28 PM
my pick would be sci fi for dinner. mama melrose seems to have had a menu change. pull up dining menu. it will help:party:

Bethis26fan
05-08-2007, 03:51 PM
i liked 50's it was fun and the food was great. Made me think of my grandma's cooking.

team_paz
05-08-2007, 04:03 PM
LOL :rotfl: Is that chanting I hear? You guys are too funny!

I think atmosphere is going to have to win over food for this trip as a general rule. I guess for the same reason we eat the greaseboards they call pizza at places like Chuck E. Cheese. I don't know whether the kids will notice the difference between blah-food and amazing food while at WDW, considering they would eat mac and cheese every night of the week if I let them here, but I do know that DD will about flip when she sees Sci-Fi! Shoot, I can remember being five, and if I had been taken to a restaurant with a movie theater in it and I could eat in a CAR I would have been jumping with excitement!

So now we have Sci-Fi, 1900 Park Fare, Ohana's, Akerhus, and Chef Mickey's... I know from reviews that these aren't the finest cuisine Disney has to offer, but I guess we have all the more reason to go back to WDW as the kids grow, right?! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your votes and comments, you guys are great!! :minnie:

Mickey91
05-08-2007, 05:18 PM
We like 50's Prime Time best.

CU Tiger
05-08-2007, 09:42 PM
We just dinned at Hollywood and Vine last week. The food is great and you get a huge selection.:thumbsup: There was fresh oysters and shrimp, several different types of pastas, a carving station with different types of meats, good vegetables, different types of breads, and a great desert bar. It is not the most fun atmosphere, but the food is wonderful. :mickey:

tinksmom02
05-08-2007, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=team_paz;1282063]
So now we have Sci-Fi, 1900 Park Fare, Ohana's, Akerhus, and Chef Mickey's... I know from reviews that these aren't the finest cuisine Disney has to offer, but I guess we have all the more reason to go back to WDW as the kids grow, right?! :thumbsup:
[QUOTE]

We have almost the same dining choices, except we're doing Crystal Palace instead of CM's (although we did that last trip and loved it!), and LeCellier. I think they're pretty decent dining choices, especially for kids.

And I made ADR's for Sci-Fi anticipating not-so-great-food, from most of what I've read here. We're going specifically for the atmosphere. I think we will probably pay OOP for that one, and just get apps and snacks there.

Enjoy!

Kairi_7378
05-08-2007, 11:01 PM
I highly recommend the Brown Derby with the Fantasmic Dinner Package. The meal is great and the ambiance is spectacular.

kris10399
05-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Brown Derby all the way. That is if you want to part with 2 credits. Their Cobb salad is great! We've eaten there many times.
Sci-Fi is pretty cool too, especially if you have kids with.