PDA

View Full Version : Magical Moment Worth Sharing

just2mickey
05-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Recently, my daughter (age 9) came home from school very upset. She told me that she had a question and needed me to pull the car over so she could see my eyes when I answered. She explained that kids at school were picking on her about Disney and the characters. She explained that they laughed when she told them that Tinker Bell was a real person and she flew from the top of the castle. She then asked, "Mom, are the right?" Carefully choosing my words, I told her that the magic and secrets were no different than that of Santa or God. You have never seen them either so how do you know they are real? She answered by saying, "They are in my heart!" I told her to recall what we hear at the end of wishes.....that is where the magic lives! She wrote a letter later that night to Peter Pan and asked him for some pixie dust to make her fly. She enclosed her photo and then proceeded to address the envelope to WDW Travel Company (where most of our packages are made). For 6 LONG WEEKS she would check that mailbox and with sad eyes and a broken heart......NOTHING! Then on Saturday, May 5th, it came!!!! A small padded envelope from Disney addressed to her. Inside, we found an autographed picture from Peter Pan and Captain Hook that read, To Charley Katherine...NEVER GROW UP! There were stickers and a letter from Darnel (a guest relations cast member) who wrote that pixie dust is to be used only by Peter himself. He was in the parks that day but he received her letter and photo and that he wanted her to have his special autographed picture and stickers. A letter read that he was honored to have such a wonderful friend like her. When people ask me why I continue to visit WDW insted of other places and ask what makes it so special, I tell them why. So although the dream team may not have actually given us a night in the castle or a free trip, they gave my daughter so much more than that. They gave her a childhood memory to live on forever in her heart thanks to Darnel!!!

jodijo
05-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Oh, I am totally sitting here crying. That is so moving. I always love to hear about the wonderful things people (& Disney) do. You made my day! Tell your daughter that it is ok to Never Grow Up!

Wolf
05-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah I'm totally crying too. Give your daughtere a big hug for me cause she just reminded me why at 20 I still believe in magic and fairys and dreams coming true. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

MickeyandTink
05-07-2007, 06:05 PM
How cool is that? :thumbsup:

Ian
05-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Okay ... wow ... I'm not normally the type to get all mushy over this stuff, but this really got me "right there."

Give your DD a hug from me, too, and tell her that, even at age 37, I still believe it's really Tinkerbell flying over the Magic Kingdom. I believe that because I want to believe it and if she wants to believe it, she should too.

Sometimes I worry about my own daughter ... she's pretty naive and sheltered to some degree (and I like it that way ... kids grow up WAY too fast these days). I wonder if she's going to have a day like this in her future. I hope not ...

just2mickey
05-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Okay ... wow ... I'm not normally the type to get all mushy over this stuff, but this really got me "right there."

Give your DD a hug from me, too, and tell her that, even at age 37, I still believe it's really Tinkerbell flying over the Magic Kingdom. I believe that because I want to believe it and if she wants to believe it, she should too.

Sometimes I worry about my own daughter ... she's pretty naive and sheltered to some degree (and I like it that way ... kids grow up WAY too fast these days). I wonder if she's going to have a day like this in her future. I hope not ...

Frist of all...I am angry at you for winning, and a bit jealous! Your daugher is very cute and so is your son. I saw their pics on the web. I can honestly say that as a teacher who is around kids when they find out the truth.....Tooth Fairy, Santa, Easter Bunny. Oh my Lord, my heart breaks for them. I used to tell my fourth graders ( who are very country kids who lead very sheltered lives) that it just means that they have to believe twice as much as those that don't and pray for them because it must be sad to have your beliefs taken away. You know the rule...you must believe in order to receive. I hope your daughter never encounters that either. As far the kids growing up too fast...I could not agree more.

crazypoohbear
05-07-2007, 06:59 PM
WOW, what a great moment in her life!
I hope you put the letter some place safe for her when she grows up.

pook@wdw
05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
HEY!! Who says Tink's not real? :mad: Tell your DD to NEVER stop believing in the magic! At 47...I haven't !:thumbsup:

kakn7294
05-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Man, you made me cry too! My 12 yo DD still knows that Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy are real. And I know when I go to Disney that those are not just people in a costume - they are real too!

Ian, don't make Taylor grow up (or Jake either!). My DD's are a little immature for their ages, especially my oldest but I like it that way most of the time! They grow up and leave us far too soon!

pogo
05-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks for sharing this warm and wonderful story. The disney :magic: is alive and well in Darnel's heart ! :thumbsup:

As for me............ I won't grow up ! :D

DisneyorBust
05-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks for sharing your bit of "family magic"!
Isn't it wonderful that a company like WDW would take the time to send out a photo and pixie dust, to help keep your little one believing.:mickey:

January-2007
05-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Wow- that is so special!!! Thanks for sharing it with us! :mickey:

merlinmagic4
05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
That is amazing....what a great story! It's things like that that keep me going back. I was hooked after our Make A Wish trip when everyone there was so unbelievably kind. Thanks for sharing!

Ian
05-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Man, you made me cry too! My 12 yo DD still knows that Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy are real. And I know when I go to Disney that those are not just people in a costume - they are real too!

Ian, don't make Taylor grow up (or Jake either!). My DD's are a little immature for their ages, especially my oldest but I like it that way most of the time! They grow up and leave us far too soon!You know what? Those people in a costume are real if you want them to be. They're real to me ...

I'll tell you that, even at age 37, I still get excited when I meet Mickey. To me, he isn't just some low-paid CM in a costume ... he's a symbol of my childhood and a small part of America that is still good, and pure, and largely untainted.

I will NEVER grow up! My body may age and fail me at some point, but in my mind I'll always be 5 and it will always be magical when I'm in Walt Disney World.

And I plan on instilling that same feeling in my kids. They can grow up when they're ready and not a minute sooner!

Diznee4Me
05-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Great story - thank you for sharing.

Stories like yours is what makes us love everything Disney - warts and all! We read/hear about Disney stories that make us cringe but if we keep in our heart the ideals Mr. Disney wanted for children and families - Disney is still the best. The Disney castmates, for the most part, go that extra mile to make that happen!:thumbsup:

There is another topic over in watercooler about special places and being connected to them. Everyone, including myself, left a list of our special places and every list included WDW. Our own experiences and stories like yours is the reason for our fascination and dedication to such a truly magical place.

Finally, you, your daughter and your story have made my day! Thanks!

c&d
05-08-2007, 02:31 PM
What a wonderful story.

You read all the stories of bad things occurring at Disney and you hear about all the great things of YoMD but I think it's the little things that CM's do that make Disney so special. The things that don't cost much if anything, to do but create memories that last a lifetime for those that are touched by them.

poeticeclipse
05-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Wow! Just Wow...

I am at work right now and i'm seriously fighting back tears. That's what makes Disney so special. I'm so happy for your daughter that she has something to believe in in a world with so much negativity and corruption of today's youth. No one should ever feel obligated to grow up in any way. My mom is 60 and doesn't look a day past 45. I think that it's partly due to the fact that she certainly doesn't act 60.

Make sure you tell your daughter how special she is that Peter Pan sent her that wonderful picture and letter. Not many children get to be so lucky to have a mother nice enough to believe in her dreams.

TheMartellFamily
05-08-2007, 04:22 PM
You will have this in your memory for ever what a wonderful story.

Figment78
05-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Thank you for sharing that story! It was so touching! I hope she never ever stops believing. To not believe in magic and happiness would be so incredibly sad....

Wow! What a great story, both of your daughter's sweetness and the kindness of the Disney cast member. Stories like yours are what keeps me believing! :mickey: