PDA

View Full Version : A Wild and "Wacky" Week in WDW

Ian
05-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Who: The Wacky Family, including yours truly WDWacky (aka Ian), DW (aka Trish), DD4 (aka Taylor), and DS 5 months (aka Jake)
What: A seven night stay in Walt Disney World!
Where: Pop Century/CINDERELLA'S CASTLE SUITE!!!!!
When: April 28th through May 5th

By now, most of you are aware of the highlight of our trip (if not, see this link (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=103341)), so I'm not going to do a full, daily trip report. Quite honestly, things got so out of whack after our Castle stay that I didn't even really take detailed notes like I normally do.

So I'll just give a little summary of the other highlights from our trip and touch on some items of note, new things we did, etc.

We left on the morning of Friday the 27th and drove down. We got really close to Disney, but decided to stop for the night just outside of Jacksonville, figuring the rooms would be cheaper and we didn't really have anywhere to stay in Disney on Friday night anyway.

We woke up early and got into Pop around 11AM or so and checked in. The first day we spent cruising around Magic Kingdom riding what we could (it was pretty crowded) and dining at Epcot (Coral Reef). We were on the dining plan this time and planned to make good use of it!

The following morning was our day at Animal Kingdom when we won the Castle Suite, so I'll skip that day (see thread above). The only thing worth noting that might not be in there is that Trish got her first ride on Everest, which she loved!

Other highlights included:

We had what will most likely be our last meal at Alfredo's. I know a lot of people like to slam it, but this was always our favorite Epcot restaurant and we'll miss it very much. I got quite a few souvenirs, including lots of pictures, a menu, and some other stuff. They were very nice to us!
Taylor got her first ride on Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain. She was tall enough to ride them last time we were there, but she didn't want to go on. This time she was brave and tried them. She didn't really care for either one (she's not much for losing your stomach on rides, if you know what I mean). She actually cried going down the big hill on Splash (she banged her nose on the log), but she was okay on ToT. She promptly declared after each ride, "I liked that but I don't ever want to go on again!" In fact it was funny, as she was getting off ToT a CM said to her, "Did you ride that ride?" and she said, "Yes." And he said, "Do you want to go back on?" and she said, "Yes." and I kinda looked at her funny. As we walked away I said, "Honey, why did you say you wanted to go back on? I thought you didn't like it." She goes, "Oh, I didn't hear what he said really so I just said yes. I am NOT going back on!"
We got our first look at Finding Nemo the Musical (had great seats courtesy of the Dream Team) and I have to say we were duly impressed. Unfortunately, Jake acted up about 1/4 of the way in so Trish had to leave with him, but Taylor and I stayed for the entire show and really loved it. I'm normally not a big show guy, but this was something special. I'd be lying if I didn't admit I got pretty choked up. The whole "not my Dad/that's my Dad" thing got to me. This may move up to must see status for us on future trips!
We also got our first look at the new Gran Fiesta Tour ride in Mexico. Trish and Taylor thought it was cute (and Jake seemed amused), but I have to give it a moderate thumbs down. The new theming is not very well integrated into the old ride. It really looks like they just plunked the Three Caballeros into the old ride and spent very little time trying to smooth down the overlay. I'd give it a C- at best ... I was pretty disappointed in it.
Just an odd note that I thought I'd share ... For some reason I got free internet access at Pop for 7 out of the 8 days we were there. :confused: I signed on for the first time on Saturday, had to agree to the charge, and for some reason was never charged again. I'm not complaining, though, because I think it's scandalous that Disney charges 10 bucks a day for a service that virtually every other hotel in the world provides free.
Another random observation about Pop ... This was like the 3rd or 4th time we had stayed at Pop Century and we came to the conclusion this time that the rooms are too small for four people. We were really crammed in there. Thankfully we weren't in the room all that much this time around (for some reason we didn't take mid-day breaks this trip), but going forward there's really no way I could see a room at Pop being sufficient for us and all our gear. Which is why ....
We finally decided that it's time for us to buy into DVC. With the two kids it's virtually a given that we'll be making at least twice-yearly trips down there and the finances are just too obvious anymore. Not to mention the great inflation hedge DVC provides and the fact that we'll be guaranteed able to get spacious, deluxe-level accomodations each trip. We're going with SSR. We strongly considered VAKL, but we really like SSR (it's an absolutely beautiful property) and the location works better for us. Plus there's the added perk that we'll get 2006 points in addition to our '07 points, which means we'll be getting 320 points this year. That gives us a lot of flexibility we wouldn't get at VAKL.
We did something new this trip. We rented a pontoon boat from Downtown Disney and spent about an hour cruising around all the DD/Epcot area resorts. If you've never done this before, it's very scenic and relaxing. You get a great view of the old treehouse villas, too. We were actually surprised to see people staying in them when we cruised by. Turns out they let the Disney interns use them. Man, what cool accomodations, though. I really wish they'd open them back up again. I would LOVE to stay in one!
After the way I skewered the Laugh Floor back in February, I owe an update. We saw it again this trip and it was MUCH better this time around!! Very funny! They seem to have fixed Mike's voice (it sounds much more like Billy Crystal now) and the jokes were really hilarious. The two biggest improvements were the fact that they complete the story now and the ability to text in jokes before the show. The first time we went they showed you the laugh canister and then nothing happened with it! Now it fills up and blows out steam and stuff. That's much more satisfying. And also, Taylor got one of her jokes used in the show! She thought that was totally cool!
We spent a few hours at Blizzard Beach on Thursday and had a great time. Taylor is really into the water slides and stuff and this is always kind of our special Daddy/Daughter time (swimming in general is, really) since Trish isn't that into the water. The Photo Pass guys are really out in force at the waterparks now. They have these mini-Photopasses that you can wear around your wrist and they just shoot pics of you on the slides and stuff and throw them at you. This is a really great perk for those of us who are so thrilled with our appearance with no shirt on. :unsure:
Obviously, winning the Castle Suite was the highlight of the trip, but really the entire week was spectacular. We had great weather the entire time (not a spot of rain), the Flower and Garden Festival was in full swing and Epcot looked great, and in general we just had a really nice, low key week in the World.

The only downside was that it was more crowded than we're used to at this time. One of the Guest Relations CM's we worked with while we were staying in the Castle said that the YoaMD's promotion has really been pulling people into the park. He said attendance is way up this year and that, across the entire year, they expect attendance to be very high. I wouldn't expect to go at all this season and see 5 minute waits on anything.

We managed to navigate the crowds fairly well by using Fastpass and the middle of the week actually was pretty quiet, but the weekends/Monday/Friday were very busy for this time of the year. Looks like Disney's coffers will be filling up!!

wildernesslady
05-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Congrats again on your castle stay, and also for joining DVC. You will never regret it.

Mickey'sGirl
05-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the report Ian! It sounds like you had a fabulous week -- and your Cinderella stay -- how magical! I agree about the crowds....It was nuts at times! :mickey:

faline
05-07-2007, 01:41 PM
What a great trip you had! Congrats on your DVC membership!

poeticeclipse
05-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Congrats on your DVC membership! How awesome! My fiance and I can't wait until we're financially ready to purchase a DVC membership and find a "Disney Home."

You must have really had the trip of your life. It sounds like you had a great time and i'm very happy for your family. It's nice to know that someone deserving wins things once in a while. I can't imagine all of the folks who win the stay in Cindy's castle and don't understand how special that is. I'm very glad that you and your family could appreciate it to the fullest.

disneydrmr
05-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for sharing about the rest of the trip! And again - congrats on the Castle Stay - THAT is a memory you'll always treasure!

ChipnDaleGal
05-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks so much for giving us the highlights of your very special trip. Congrats again on the Castle Stay. You certainly gave us a wonderful peek into how incredible that experience was. I am glad that you all had such a nice time and good luck with your DVC purchase. No doubt that will be a wise purchase for your Disney loving family. :mickey:

pogo
05-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the report Ian. I loved your report about your Castle Stay.:cloud9:

We too are thinking about becoming DVC Members. SS is very nice indeed but I think we are going with OKW. We are older and when our time runs out I will be 92 years old.:old: That's enough.:yes:

I agree with what you had to say about the Nemo Show. It was very emotional for me too. Pleas don't tell anybody.:mickey:

I didn't think the crowds were all that bad while we were there with the exception of AK. That park always seems crowded.

I hope you took the family to the Laugh Floor Comedy Club. I thought it was very cute.:thumbsup:

Thanks again for sharing your vacation with us. :D

KylesMom
05-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Sounds like a top-notch trip, Ian. Thanks for sharing the details with us. DH and I are also kicking around the DVC idea - it's just difficult to take part of a day to sit down with the DVC folks & figure out the logistics.

I'm glad you posted a postive about Finding Nemo the Musical - been debating on that, you convinced me. Congrats again on your castle stay & glad you guys had a magical time! :mickey:

DizNee143
05-07-2007, 04:22 PM
sounds like you guys had an absolute wonderful time...espically with that night in the castle!..thank you so much for sharing!! and go you!! on joing DVC!! :mickey:

offwego
05-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for sharing with us. DVC does sound like the right choice for you.

I still think your castle stay was just amazing.

SBETigg
05-07-2007, 04:42 PM
What a fantastic trip! So many highlights even without the castle stay, so many memories. I'm sorry you'll lose Alfredo's. Glad you got in one more visit. And congrats on the DVC decision! Many happy returns. :mickey:

Ian
05-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I hope you took the family to the Laugh Floor Comedy Club. I thought it was very cute.:thumbsup: Oh yeah!!! I totally forgot to mention that ... and after the way I skewered the Laugh Floor back in February, you'd think it would have stuck in my mind.

Anyway, it was MUCH better this time around!! Very funny! They seem to have fixed Mike's voice (it sounds much more like Billy Crystal now) and the jokes were really hilarious.

The two biggest improvements were the fact that they complete the story now and the ability to text in jokes before the show. The first time we went they showed you the laugh canister and then nothing happened with it! Now it fills up and blows out steam and stuff. That's much more satisfying.

And also, Taylor got one of her jokes used in the show! She thought that was totally cool!

sleepingbooty
05-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Fabulous trip! How exciting to win the castle stay - I'm sure Taylor will remember that forever! THanks for sharing:thumbsup:

Melanie
05-08-2007, 03:08 AM
Thanks for sharing your highlights, Ian. Again, how wonderful about your Castle stay. I loved Taylor's reactions to the big rides - sounds oddly familiar! Congrats on your DVC membership as well. What a magical trip you all had! :magic:

Scar
05-08-2007, 10:35 AM
... we'll be making at least twice-yearly trips down there ...So...cuttin' back, ay? ;)

DisneyorBust
05-08-2007, 11:05 AM
I really enjoyed your reports! Especially the Cinderella Suite report, the photos were fantstic. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Ian
05-08-2007, 01:00 PM
So...cuttin' back, ay? ;)Hey, I said "at least" two trips a year! ;)

January-2007
05-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Your trip is the stuff dreams are made of. :cloud9: I am so glad your family won the castle suite stay and you got to share it with all of us. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing the highlights from the rest of your trip, I'm sure it was all such a whirlwind! Oh, and congrats on buying into DVC, sounds like you'll be a lot more comfortable at Saratoga Springs. :mickey:

Ian
05-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Your trip is the stuff dreams are made of. :cloud9: I am so glad your family won the castle suite stay and you got to share it with all of us. :thumbsup:That's nice of you to say! It really was a whirlwind experience ... it's still hard to believe it actually happened to us.

Oh, and congrats on buying into DVC, sounds like you'll be a lot more comfortable at Saratoga Springs.Thanks! We like Pop, but it feels like we've "outgrown" it.

Saratoga is a beautiful resort and we're looking forward to "moving in"!

Dsnygirl
05-09-2007, 02:26 AM
:mickey: Thanks for sharing the rest of the details of your trip with us! I read all about your castle stay on the other thread, and that is just amazing - I'm so glad you guys won it! Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation - congrats on your DVC purchase, too!! Yeah for you guys!! :thumbsup:

Bethanymouse
05-09-2007, 06:57 AM
It sounds like you had a truly magical disney trip! I was so happy for you and your family when I found out you won the stay in Cinderella's Castle! That is so wonderful. Thanks for all of the updates and info, especially the pics from the suite.

I am glad that you had a great trip. We cant wait to try some of those new rides/attractions next trip. Thanks for the report!:mickey:

Ian
05-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I am glad that you had a great trip. We cant wait to try some of those new rides/attractions next trip.Definitely make sure not to miss the Finding Nemo musical ... we thought that was incredible!

sillyolbear
05-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Congratulations on being select for the Castle stay and for the DVC plunge.

SSR is a great home resort. Hope you are as happy with your purchase as we have been!

crazypoohbear
05-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks for sharing your trip.
I think you will find when the kids get older and have less "stuff" Pop will be a good fit again.
Last year 4 of us were comfortable in it but the kids are much older and have less stuff.
Last year's trip was the first time my youngest son didn't take any "buddy's" from home:secret: . Made packing much easier;)

Septbride2002
05-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Hey Ian! I always enjoy reading your trip recaps. We finally gave into DVC as well - but couldn't get behind SS. Just wasn't in a location we really liked - so we bought resale at BWV. "WELCOME HOME!"

~Amanda

RedSoxFan
05-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time at WDW. I read the other post about staying in the castle. That was awesome.

princessgirls
05-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Ian,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful, exciting trip with us and all of those fabulous pictures.

Winning the Castle suite couldn't of happened to a nicer family, or one that is more loyal to WDW for that matter!!:mickey:

Until your next adventure...

Julie

pdrlkr
05-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

mrsgaribaldi
05-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the report. I'm so happy you guys won:thumbsup: I really enjoyed the pics too:mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
05-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks for sharing your report.

T-Belle
05-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks so much for sharing your report with us. Your detailed report of your Castle Suite stay was such that I could (almost) feel the excitment myself. As if it were happening to me. And I guess that's why it's always so much fun to read trip reports. Thanks again!