PDA

View Full Version : Disney Vista Gadget Aimed to Increase Hong Kong Disneyland Attendance

Figment!
05-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Disney to the Desktop

InfoWorld
May 4, 2007

The last great advertising-free frontier of personal computing may soon be overrun by RSS-enabled desktop advertorial applets thanks to the unveiling of a Disney Vista gadget yesterday at Microsoft MIX, as reported by The Seattle Times and Read/Write Web.

The gadget -- which will likely debut on PC desktops in China, thanks to talks between Disney, Microsoft, and large OEMs -- has apparently been created to educate the Chinese about Disney in hopes of driving up attendance at Hong Kong Disneyland.

According to The Seattle Times, the gadget taps RSS to continually update a theme park news feed, thereby quenching end-users' thirst for the latest Disney G-2. Video, trip-planning, and interactive functionality will also be included in what Robbie Bach, president of Disney's entertainment and devices division, is calling "a Disney application on the PC," according to The Seattle Times.

No opt-out policy was discussed during the Microsoft MIX presentation, according to the article.

Certainly the model -- namely, to load up new desktops with copious marketing gadgets --will prove appealing not only to corporations such as Disney seeking to capitalize on the uptick in home computer use but also to Microsoft and its OEMs, which will be able to open new markets with lower-priced products without jeopardizing profit margins, thanks to subsidizing marketingware.

TheRustyScupper
05-07-2007, 06:12 PM
1) More rides = more attendance
2) More attractions = more attendance
3) More activities = more attendance
4) More characters = more attendance
5) More gimmics = no change

NOTE: We got to DHK two months ago. It was better than the Studios at DLP, but not by much. I felt sorry for all the triness who came to WDW to train for their jobs at DHK, only to go back from built-up WDW to a sparse DHK.

2Epcot
05-09-2007, 04:23 PM
1) I felt sorry for all the triness who came to WDW to train for their jobs at DHK, only to go back from built-up WDW to a sparse DHK.

Every park/resort has to start some where. Disneyland and Walt Disney World were not what they are today when they opened.

Mufasa
05-09-2007, 07:03 PM
I just have to wonder though... with software piracy so rampant in China (I think there was an article I read where one of the primary software retailers in China had only sold 250 legal, licensed copies of Windows Vista in China since launch)- would this new Vista gadget even find it's way onto people's desktops?