PDA

View Full Version : No more everyday math at our school!!!!

murphy1
05-07-2007, 07:34 AM
I heard through one of the counselors at my dd's elem. school they are not going to do the regrouping stuff anymore, we can carry in our math with the kids!! They have received so many compaints I guess and the teachers are even confused as to how to teach it as much as the parents are. I hope it's true!! The weird part is they don't even do the regrouping in adding in third grade (dd is in second), they do it the old way???

jonsmom
05-07-2007, 07:51 AM
I hate EveryDay Math. They make it much more complicated than it needs to be.
My DS is in 3rd grade and they still regroup.

PrincessEmmasMommy
05-07-2007, 03:18 PM
We adopted a new math program at our school last year and went against going with Everyday math due to all of its oddities. We all agreed that it is too weird for our school.
Congrats!
Jen

imaprincess!
05-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Unfortunately, I am missing any genetic link to a math gene! Let me write, proofread and edit the night away, but I struggle to help my son with his 5th grade math sometimes. The school even recommends a book parents can purchase to help their children with math homework.

conorsmom2000
05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
They just started Everyday Math at our school last year - lucky for Conor, as he was in Kindergarten then, so it's the only format he knows - but for Mike and I...? :confused: We definitely get lost at times (and it's only first grade math!) Conor loves it, though. We liked it in in K, when it was really using things around the house to help teach things (like, using a pizza to show a 1/2, 1/4 and an 1/8...) but, I fear there will come a day when we will be no help to him! :blush: