PDA

View Full Version : Nine Dragons?

Mary Poppins fan
05-06-2007, 05:45 PM
We're looking to try someplace new in Epcot and my DS(12) wants to try Nine Dragons. Anyone eaten here recently? Thumbs up or thumbs down? :eat:

disneyfansinceage2
05-06-2007, 07:57 PM
We ate there in January. I thought it was good. My husband LOVES chinese food and he thought it was okay. To tell you the honest truth I can think of a lot of other places I would have rather eaten. It was the only place that would take us the one night we didn't make ADR's. The atmosphere was very nice though and the food was good.

MickeyDreamer
05-06-2007, 09:10 PM
We have always enjoyed nine dragons..don't go if you are expecting the same type of food you get at home thats not what you will get here. I would call this a more authentic food rather than the more americanized you find on your local street corner.

A Big Kid
05-06-2007, 10:24 PM
We went.............once. I cant say that about too many eateries at WDW.

Jared
05-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Nine Dragons receives 10 thumbs down--the two thumbs on each member of my family.

Maybe I am spoiled by New York, but I can get better Chinese food at the corner takeout place for a fraction of the cost.

JPL
05-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Maybe I am spoiled by New York, but I can get better Chinese food at the corner takeout place for a fraction of the cost.

:ditto: :ditto:

But I will add the worst of my local takeout places have better food

ElenitaB
05-06-2007, 11:47 PM
We have always enjoyed nine dragons..don't go if you are expecting the same type of food you get at home thats not what you will get here. I would call this a more authentic food rather than the more americanized you find on your local street corner.
With all due respect, I honestly think that where your local street corner is, might have a lot to to do with your perception of the food at Nine Dragons. I happen to have great (and very authentic) Chinese food on my local street corners. What we've eaten at Lotus Blossom Cafe was an Americanized version of what I can get locally... based on that experience, I never have chosen to dine at Nine Dragons.

kakn7294
05-07-2007, 12:59 AM
My family enjoyed Nine Dragons but where we live, we don't have a lot of choice in Chinese restaurants - and the ones we do have are all basically the same. Nine Dragons is over-priced but the food was good.

Natazu
05-07-2007, 06:40 AM
I haven't been to Nine Dragons in years but if the counter service place, Lotus Blossum Cafe, is any indication, the TS place should be awesome cause the cafe flat out kicks bootie.

scrappy
05-07-2007, 09:00 AM

We really enjoy Nine Dragons and have eaten there at both of our last trips. No, it's not going to be like the take-out on the street corner. But I've never been to any sit-down, table service Chinese restaurant that was like take-out. It's completely different and is meant to be. Don't get me wrong, I love both types and don't mean to offend anyone.

As for Nine Dragons, I don't think it's necessarily more authentic, but it is more upscale or "gourmet". The food is very tasty, and the atmosphere is beautiful. The last two times (Dec 2006 and May 2007) we had excellent service. In addition, both times we made ADRs the same day, so it's pretty easy to get into.

Jared
05-07-2007, 10:05 AM
We really enjoy Nine Dragons and have eaten there at both of our last trips. No, it's not going to be like the take-out on the street corner. But I've never been to any sit-down, table service Chinese restaurant that was like take-out. It's completely different and is meant to be. Don't get me wrong, I love both types and don't mean to offend anyone.

As for Nine Dragons, I don't think it's necessarily more authentic, but it is more upscale or "gourmet". The food is very tasty, and the atmosphere is beautiful. The last two times (Dec 2006 and May 2007) we had excellent service. In addition, both times we made ADRs the same day, so it's pretty easy to get into.

Like Ellen said before, my local takeout (and sit down) Chinese restaurants are exactly like Nine Dragons. Looking at the menu, I can order each one of those dishes at Master Wok, Seven Woks, K. Fung, Chop Stix, Szechwan Inn and every other Chinese place in my area.

Notice that Ellen, Jeff and I all live in the New York tri-state area. Granted, my profile says that I'm from Syracuse, but that's only where I go to school. My hometown is in Westchester, 15 minutes out of New York.

It's all a matter of opinion. Many people love Nine Dragons, especially if they are not used to authentic Chinese food. For people new to the cuisine, Nine Dragons is probably a great option.

:D

gueli
05-07-2007, 10:38 AM
New Yorkers are spoiled (when it comes to food). Even out here on Long Island the chinese food can be quite fantastic. there was a post somewhere along the line that spoke about how food is prepared differently in different parts of the country (not this thread), and what may taste great to the locals may horrify visitors who eat more 'authentic' style foods.
based on the comments, It is 'typical Disney Fare'...
:mickey:
I would take a New York Pizza or Bagel, over most anywhere else. It has to do with the water...
:pirate:

Crow
05-07-2007, 04:10 PM
im a dissenting opinion this time it appears.
ive eaten here a few times and like it. mayb it has something to do w my love of Asian things, but i thought the food was good. in fact, im debating cancelling my ADR at San Angel at the end of the month for 9 Dragons. the atmosphere is great at San Angel but the food only ok from what i remember.
and Nine Dragons is going down for a rehab, so wont b open on my next trip in Sept. and w the places in Japan being closed i do need an Asian fix.

SBETigg
05-07-2007, 04:19 PM
I've never been to Nine Dragons, so I can't weigh in on the quality. I can tell you that the restaurant is listed as being closed for rehab from July 15 until mid-November, and it looks like you're traveling in September so it's not an option.

ElenitaB
05-07-2007, 05:05 PM
New Yorkers are spoiled (when it comes to food). Even out here on Long Island the chinese food can be quite fantastic. there was a post somewhere along the line that spoke about how food is prepared differently in different parts of the country (not this thread), and what may taste great to the locals may horrify visitors who eat more 'authentic' style foods.
based on the comments, It is 'typical Disney Fare'...
:mickey:
I would take a New York Pizza or Bagel, over most anywhere else. It has to do with the water...
:pirate:
I don't want this to turn into one of "those" threads... however, there is a point to be made here... I think a big differentiating factor may have to do with the availability of authentic ingredients to make authentic ethnic food. For example, can you really make authentic Hot and Sour soup without straw and wood ear mushrooms? Or should the soup have chicken (like it does at Nine Dragons) or pork (like it does at 90% of the restaurants up here)? As the supply chain widens, chefs can get some of the ingredients they need to make their dishes more authentic (for example, I have trouble making Nicaraguan dishes because I can't get meat butchered like I did in Central America and I can't find naranja agria).

So, it all boils down to "different strokes"... Like Wacky says, "that's why there's 31 flavors."

offwego
05-07-2007, 05:23 PM
It's not what one could call authentic and mean it.

However it is pretty tasty (way above say a mall food court) and much better in my view then the cs place attached.

(submitted as a poster who did live in a large urban area with a huge China town with co-workers how ordered in Cantonese and Mandrin...doesn't keep nine dragons from being tasty for me and yes I did enjoy the dim sum and other delights I used to get)

dlpmikki
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I have to step to the defense of 9 Dragons. I used to live in London with it's own China Town and I admit that 9 Dragons is not that good but it is not as bad as people make out. It has varied over the years but the last couple have been preety tasty - we even went twice in January :thumbsup:

Mary Poppins fan
05-07-2007, 07:33 PM
I can tell you that the restaurant is listed as being closed for rehab from July 15 until mid-November
I know that Teppanyaki will be closed, but I haven't heard that Nine Dragons will be down for rehab. :search: :scratch:

SBETigg
05-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I know that Teppanyaki will be closed, but I haven't heard that Nine Dragons will be down for rehab. :search: :scratch:

They're both listed at Info Central here under Rehabs. Teppanyaki will be open again at the end of August but Nine Dragons is listed as down until November 11.

wendy*darling
05-07-2007, 10:23 PM
:cop: Moderator Alert!! :cop:

Please keep your responses directed to the quality of the food & experience at Nine Dragons, and not about another member's opinions.

Crow
05-08-2007, 07:34 AM
They're both listed at Info Central here under Rehabs. Teppanyaki will be open again at the end of August but Nine Dragons is listed as down until November 11.

thats why im thinking of canceling my San Angel ADR for 9 Dragons. had read something that sounds interesting happening w 9.
thank goodness ill b able to hit Japan in Sept...love the lounge!

Disneyatic
05-08-2007, 05:01 PM
If 9 Dragons is going down for rehab, will the CS portion of it (Lotus Blossum Cafe) go down also or are they considered seperate restaurants??

ASweetLov
05-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Nine Dragons is great. I found the food to be delicious and so did my boyfriend. We will be going back on our next trip:thumbsup:

Crow
05-10-2007, 03:20 PM
If 9 Dragons is going down for rehab, will the CS portion of it (Lotus Blossum Cafe) go down also or are they considered seperate restaurants??

Lotus Blossom just had a rehab and is reopened. saw some pics and it has been spruced up. ill b checkin it out shortly
im still debating about trying to hit 9 Dragons this trip

tarzan_rocks
05-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Nine Dragons is one of the restaurants on our "must do" list of places to eat. The reasons are 1) because the food is consistently very good, right on par or better than any of my local Chinese establishments and 2) a great value. The portions are large enough for my wife and me to split which makes it one of the least expensive table service restaurants at WDW. I'll mention too that the service there is top notch and so is the lemonade.

tr