PDA

View Full Version : DVC raising pts for use?

rhodymom
05-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Hello I have a few questions
1.How often does Disney raise the pts needed?

2. Can someone give me an example of a typical point increase?

THANKS!!!:mickey:

Donald A
05-06-2007, 04:38 PM
For DVC resorts, the points are never raised. For example, if a one night stay in a studio at Saratoga Springs is 11 points next month it will be 11 points in June of 2050. That is the advantage of joining.

However, if you use your points for a non-DVC resort (ie, Grand Floridian) points can change as I do not believe they even have to let you use your points to stay there if they should decide to not offer it to DVC members.

dlpmikki
05-06-2007, 05:08 PM
The total number of points per year needed can never change in a DVC resort but they can move them a little between the seasons and the room sizes. In practice there has been very little change over the 15 years it has been going.

rhodymom
05-06-2007, 07:44 PM
THANKS for the scoop folks!

SignguyTom
05-14-2007, 12:18 PM
The points required in a season can never change, but certain dates within the seasons may vary. For instance, Thanksgiving weekend is in the Magic Season, and the rest of the month of November is in the Choice season. Since the dates of Thanksgiving weekend vary from year to year, the season dates do so also. Easter week has a similar scenario.

FiggyFan
05-15-2007, 09:20 PM
dlpmikki has it right. When you buy into DVC, you are actually purchasing a certain percentage ownership. They cannot dilute that ownership by raising the room point cost and selling more points for the same resort.

What they can do is adjust the point cost from day to day or season to season to try to balance demand - BUT - if they raise the point cost in one season, they have to lower the point cost in some other season to balance that out.

Aurora
05-19-2007, 04:42 PM
dlpmikki has it right. When you buy into DVC, you are actually purchasing a certain percentage ownership. They cannot dilute that ownership by raising the room point cost and selling more points for the same resort.

What they can do is adjust the point cost from day to day or season to season to try to balance demand - BUT - if they raise the point cost in one season, they have to lower the point cost in some other season to balance that out.

That is the real value in the DVC ownership, in my opinion. Although you have no control over dues hikes over the years (increases have been averaging about 3.6 percent per year), you know that the total number of points for that room type for the year can never be raised.