PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens Decision Made.. Where To?

DizneyFreak2002
05-06-2007, 03:21 PM
NEW YORK YANKEES!!! That's where.... bring it on AL EAST!!! The Beast is back...

JPL
05-06-2007, 03:44 PM
:muscles: :muscles: :muscles: I was just coming to Post this :D

DizneyFreak2002
05-06-2007, 03:50 PM
:muscles: :muscles: :muscles: I was just coming to Post this :D

Sorry Jeff.. LOL... I had to post this most this most excellent news... How much do you want to bet his win total will be higher than DICE-K's? LOL.... I just wonder how much the Yankees had to shell out to convince him to come here over Boston.....

DisneyGiant
05-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Music to my ears!! Even though I'm still annoyed with him for leaving in the first place!!! Retirement-schirement!!

That being said - how about Wang and Rasner's pitching efforts the past two days..........

This team is starting to come together ...... should be an exciting season!!!!! :dance:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-06-2007, 04:43 PM
:clappy: :party:

My son and I were thrilled to hear this announcement while watching the game!!! Go Yankees!!!!!

We will be at the game tomorrow night and Weds night, I am sure the energy in the stadium is going to be wild!!

Damon18
05-06-2007, 07:18 PM
I don't see how anyone can be surprised that he went to NY. It was pretty much a no brainer. He would not go back to Houston because they are not a World Series caliber team at this point. In Boston he would be basically the fourth or fifth starter so they aren't going to shell out big money for him. The only reason to would be to keep him from going to the Yankees. In NY he gets to be the hero riding in to save the day. It is a boost for his ego as well as his bank account. And I think you may be getting too excited about a 44 year old who has yet to pitch this year.

Grizz16
05-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Yankees= overrated
Yankees with Clemens= even more overrated, if that's possible

bdm@pga
05-06-2007, 10:46 PM
ESPN just reported 28 Million for ONE SEASON>>>NOT WORTH IT!!!!!

goofhook
05-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Yankees= overrated
Yankees with Clemens= even more overrated, if that's possible
I agree with you, it would just be interesting when they get all the starters back, if this is a different story. But I'm hoping the Yankees stay overrated.

goofhook
05-07-2007, 06:49 AM
ESPN just reported 28 Million for ONE SEASON>>>NOT WORTH IT!!!!! Not just that, 4.5 MIL a month. I Don't think they should give an older player this large of a contract to begin with, maybe have him pitch to earn it.

Scar
05-07-2007, 11:37 AM
...NOT WORTH IT!!!!!YANKEES DON'T CARE!!!!! ;)

I don't have a problem with it. In fact I think Clemens is smart to only pitch 2/3 of the season. Just like I'm hoping Martinez will be fresh for the last three months of the season.

What I don't like is Clemens' demands like only having to be with the team when he pitches, what a teammate. :rolleyes:

JPL
05-07-2007, 11:48 AM
ESPN just reported 28 Million for ONE SEASON>>>NOT WORTH IT!!!!!

Actually this will be prorated and comes out to around $18 Million. I look at this way they needed to do something and if he helps some of the younger pitchers with his knowledge of the game the investment could payoff for years to come.

GothMickey
05-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Not just that, 4.5 MIL a month. I Don't think they should give an older player this large of a contract to begin with, maybe have him pitch to earn it.

And yet your Red Sox shell out 106 million for a guy who never threw a pitch in MLB. I think Clemens contract is worth it. I mean, he has at least pitched in the states, and has succeeded. unlike, what is his name? Dice-K? Who, as I hear Boston fans talk, is WAY over rated. if winning 26 World Titles is over rated, then let the Yankees be over rated. The other thing I find funny is, all the Red Sox fans were yalping about how awesome and unbeatable they would be ONCE Clemens signs, that it was a sure thing Clemens would sign because, as they put it, the Red Sox rock and the Yankees stink. Now that Clemens picked the Yankees, the Red Sox fans change their tune to ahh we don't need him, we really didn't want him. Talk about flip floppers.

indytraveler
05-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Don't get too excited Yankees fans. Don't expect Roger to pitch complete games when he comes back. He still has to turn games over to the bullpen. This group of guys have been horrible the last few years. No lead is too safe. By the way end of the month in Fenway... should be a good series.

Just think... baseball got its wish. The biggest position player "juicer" and pitcher "juicer" are back in the league still tearing it up for a couple of 44+ yr. olds. Not bad for a young man's game. I guess we're lucky to witness 2 freaks of nature at one time. I can't wait until these guys are 50 and still hitting 40 HR's and winning 20 games.

DizneyFreak2002
05-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Personally, I like the signing... I would take a Roger Clemens at 60% than all of the losers that are pitching in the majors on ALL of the MLB teams....

Blue Genie
05-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Well I think Clemens is a jurk sorry JP of saying that. I use to resepct him until what he did to Mike Paizza that year. And yes I'm a Mike Piazza fan. But I'm also a Dodgers fan. Anyways. I was watching the Dodger game tonight and they had a text poll of now that Clemens sign with the Yankees will the Yankees make post season will they blow it and I forget what the third one was. But 56% said that the Yankees will not make it to the World Series the other two were about 18%. I may of started to wear my Yankees bp jersey again sends 2000 but I had said that the Yankees will not win another World Series for 10 years and so far 6 of the 10 years has come true. Yes I may not be a Yankees fan but If it was between them and the hateful Giants I will go for the Yankees any day.

disneyfan369
05-08-2007, 08:45 AM
And yet your Red Sox shell out 106 million for a guy who never threw a pitch in MLB. I think Clemens contract is worth it. I mean, he has at least pitched in the states, and has succeeded. unlike, what is his name? Dice-K? Who, as I hear Boston fans talk, is WAY over rated. if winning 26 World Titles is over rated, then let the Yankees be over rated. The other thing I find funny is, all the Red Sox fans were yalping about how awesome and unbeatable they would be ONCE Clemens signs, that it was a sure thing Clemens would sign because, as they put it, the Red Sox rock and the Yankees stink. Now that Clemens picked the Yankees, the Red Sox fans change their tune to ahh we don't need him, we really didn't want him. Talk about flip floppers.

What did you expect us to say? Hooray Yankees! Glad you have a chance to tie the Sox! No, of course we won't say that. You only have to look at Sox/Yankees history to realize we would never say that. And yeah, Dice-K may be bad right now, but give him time to get adjusted, and THEN we'll talk.

As to Clemens going to the Yankees: I stand by my fellow Sox fans. We don't need him, we've got Dice-K!! Especially if he's going to be a loser about going to the Yankees (he did say he wanted a team with a chance at the championship. What are the Red Sox, then?). He'll only be with the team when he pitches? What is up with that? The man is spoiled. Although I have to admit: he is a good pitcher.

GothMickey
05-08-2007, 08:53 AM
What did you expect us to say? Hooray Yankees! Glad you have a chance to tie the Sox! No, of course we won't say that. You only have to look at Sox/Yankees history to realize we would never say that. And yeah, Dice-K may be bad right now, but give him time to get adjusted, and THEN we'll talk.

As to Clemens going to the Yankees: I stand by my fellow Sox fans. We don't need him, we've got Dice-K!! Especially if he's going to be a loser about going to the Yankees (he did say he wanted a team with a chance at the championship. What are the Red Sox, then?). He'll only be with the team when he pitches? What is up with that? The man is spoiled. Although I have to admit: he is a good pitcher.
I love the passion. I remember when Hideki Irabu was called the next best pitcher, a sure thing. We all saw how that turned out. I am glad you all don't think you need Clemens, especially since you have a pitcher whose ankel can fall off any day, an ACE with an ERA over 5, and a junk ball pitcher who can get creamed any day. the only starter worth anything is Beckett, so yea, the Red Sox don't need Clemens. Hope you enjoyed April and May, because September and october will not be fun. Sorry. As for Clemens being with the team only when he pitches, check back to last year and this year, Boston was offerieng him the SAME THING. Even though I don't agree with the stipulation, BOSTON and HOUSTON were going to afford him the same thing.

disneyfan369
05-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I love the passion. I remember when Hideki Irabu was called the next best pitcher, a sure thing. We all saw how that turned out. I am glad you all don't think you need Clemens, especially since you have a pitcher whose ankel can fall off any day, an ACE with an ERA over 5, and a junk ball pitcher who can get creamed any day. the only starter worth anything is Beckett, so yea, the Red Sox don't need Clemens. Hope you enjoyed April and May, because September and october will not be fun. Sorry. As for Clemens being with the team only when he pitches, check back to last year and this year, Boston was offerieng him the SAME THING. Even though I don't agree with the stipulation, BOSTON and HOUSTON were going to afford him the same thing.

Let's not forget Tim Wakefield, who is doing very well. And all I can say to the Schilling comment is that at least he has a passion for the team, which is more than I could say for the seemingly personality-less Yankees. September and October may not be fun for some teams, but considering it's only May, let's wait and see what happens, OK? Clemens could go down with anything, as could any of the players on the Sox and Yankees. And if the Sox offered the same thing as the Yankees and Astros, I disagree with that. They should all work together as a team to improve.

Scar
05-08-2007, 11:06 AM

Interview with David Wells.

According to his contract, Clemens will not be forced to travel with the team when he isn't scheduled to pitch. He had the same deal with the Houston Astros. David Wells, a Yankees teammate of Clemens' in 2002 and 2003, doesn't agree with that.

"I don't think I would ever do it because of the fact I personally think it would disrespect the team and your teammates," Wells said, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "You look at the other players. How are they going to respect you? What are they going to think if you're not there pulling for the team?"

Although Joe Torre said he cleared Clemens' arrangement with his veteran players, Wells told the Sun-Sentinel, "That's not the Yankee way. The Yankees have changed."

GothMickey
05-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Let's not forget Tim Wakefield, who is doing very well. And all I can say to the Schilling comment is that at least he has a passion for the team, which is more than I could say for the seemingly personality-less Yankees. September and October may not be fun for some teams, but considering it's only May, let's wait and see what happens, OK? Clemens could go down with anything, as could any of the players on the Sox and Yankees. And if the Sox offered the same thing as the Yankees and Astros, I disagree with that. They should all work together as a team to improve.

I had to laugh at that Schilling comment. He always was and always will be a me, myself, and I player. No matter where is was or will be, he never had passion for his team. He only has passion for himself. You honestly think he wanted Clemens in Boston? Heck no. He was probably wishing Theo would back off signing Clemens. Why? Because then the focus would no longer be on him, it would be on Clemens. You can have Schilling. However, Schilling is not a team player, unlike some of the other guys on the Red Sox.

disneyfan369
05-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I had to laugh at that Schilling comment. He always was and always will be a me, myself, and I player. No matter where is was or will be, he never had passion for his team. He only has passion for himself. You honestly think he wanted Clemens in Boston? Heck no. He was probably wishing Theo would back off signing Clemens. Why? Because then the focus would no longer be on him, it would be on Clemens. You can have Schilling. However, Schilling is not a team player, unlike some of the other guys on the Red Sox.

Say what you will about Schilling and the Sox's attempts to get Clemens. I really don't care, and it's certainly not going to affect my feelings toward Schilling (who I still think is great) and the Sox.

Scar
05-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Every sports fan in New York knows Mike Francesa is a big-time life-long Yankees fan.

He said this today on his show:

The Yankees Knuckled under. They looked desperate.

goofhook
05-08-2007, 06:51 PM
And yet your Red Sox shell out 106 million for a guy who never threw a pitch in MLB. I think Clemens contract is worth it. I mean, he has at least pitched in the states, and has succeeded. unlike, what is his name? Dice-K? Who, as I hear Boston fans talk, is WAY over rated. if winning 26 World Titles is over rated, then let the Yankees be over rated. The other thing I find funny is, all the Red Sox fans were yalping about how awesome and unbeatable they would be ONCE Clemens signs, that it was a sure thing Clemens would sign because, as they put it, the Red Sox rock and the Yankees stink. Now that Clemens picked the Yankees, the Red Sox fans change their tune to ahh we don't need him, we really didn't want him. Talk about flip floppers. I must say, you got me there. The only thing I was trying to say was that Roger is turing 45 in August, and I'm just questioning if he could still pitch ant a good level. When your Roger's age, you start to lose ability to throw a good breaking ball, so you might not see a splitter as good as it used to be. Also, he could easily lose the pop that he has in his fastballs. So, I'm just wondering if he could still bring his A game, so thats why I think he should prove that he still ahve his pop, then he could get his salary.

DizneyFreak2002
05-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Man, this thread is getting out of control... If this continues I am going to ask for it to be closed... Let's face it, Yankees fan and Red Sox fans will only agree on one thing: TO DISAGREE.... Yankees won the Clemens sweepstakes, Red Sox and Astros lost out... Deal with it... By the wnd of the season we will see if Clemens is a difference maker... Only time will tell... I will hold my opinions of Red Sox organization to myself...

And Mike Francesa is a jerk too.. Everyone in NY knows not to take him seriously... Honestly, he knows NOTHING about sports... LOL

As for Schilling, he is the number 2 jerk in baseball, right behind Barry Bonds...

goofhook
05-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Man, this thread is getting out of control... If this continues I am going to ask for it to be closed... Let's face it, Yankees fan and Red Sox fans will only agree on one thing: TO DISAGREE.... Yankees won the Clemens sweepstakes, Red Sox and Astros lost out... Deal with it... By the wnd of the season we will see if Clemens is a difference maker... Only time will tell... I will hold my opinions of Red Sox organization to myself...

And Mike Francesa is a jerk too.. Everyone in NY knows not to take him seriously... Honestly, he knows NOTHING about sports... LOL

As for Schilling, he is the number 2 jerk in baseball, right behind Barry Bonds...
I agree, except for the Curt Schilling part. I'd give him the number 1 jerk in baseball.:number1: But, I must say it is fun to watch all this arguing over one pitcher, maybe we should get into what Big Papi could do to Clemens? :baseball:

Scar
05-09-2007, 08:44 AM
And Mike Francesa is a jerk too.. Everyone in NY knows not to take him seriously... Honestly, he knows NOTHING about sports... LOLI wish I made as much money as he does knowing "nothing about sports". ;)

GothMickey
05-09-2007, 08:56 AM
I agree, except for the Curt Schilling part. I'd give him the number 1 jerk in baseball.:number1: But, I must say it is fun to watch all this arguing over one pitcher, maybe we should get into what Big Papi could do to Clemens? :baseball:

Nothing since Ortiz is off the juice. :) You are right. There is too much arguing over one pitcher. Proves my point that everyone wanted him, every fan knows their team needs him. Scar, I am defending Bobby on this one. Mike Franseca reads his opinions in the papers, he really knows nothing. Ever listen to his show? When a fan actually knows what he is talking about and takes Mike's knowledge to task, the caller is bashed and hung up on. Read the Daily News and the New York Post. Rasmussein and Mushnick state what Chris Russo and Mike Franseca really are, two radio hosts who really are clueless about sports. That, however, is a whole other topic. For here on out, I will refrain from bashing the Red Sox fans and organization over their whining about Clemens not joining their team. :secret:

Hammer
05-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Okay Yankees and Red Sox fans, play nice!

My opinion is that Clemens used the Red Sox and Astros as bait with the Yankees. I don't think he ever had any intention of going to the Astros and I think the Astros saw him as more of a distraction than a help and as they aren't contending this year, why have the circus in town?

Regarding his negotiations with the Red Sox, I think his agents did that simply to scare Steinbrenner and it worked. George caved and overpaid. Only time will tell is if his gamble pays off.

JPL
05-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Okay Yankees and Red Sox fans, play nice!

Sorry but this isn't possible ;)

goofhook
05-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Nothing since Ortiz is off the juice. :) You are right. There is too much arguing over one pitcher. Proves my point that everyone wanted him, every fan knows their team needs him. Scar, I am defending Bobby on this one. Mike Franseca reads his opinions in the papers, he really knows nothing. Ever listen to his show? When a fan actually knows what he is talking about and takes Mike's knowledge to task, the caller is bashed and hung up on. Read the Daily News and the New York Post. Rasmussein and Mushnick state what Chris Russo and Mike Franseca really are, two radio hosts who really are clueless about sports. That, however, is a whole other topic. For here on out, I will refrain from bashing the Red Sox fans and organization over their whining about Clemens not joining their team. :secret:

Well, I must say I'm not whining about not having Clemens. Beckett decided to be our star this year I guess. But I dont get what you said out Big Papi. Whta did you mean by that?

DizneyFreak2002
05-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Well, I must say I'm not whining about not having Clemens. Beckett decided to be our star this year I guess. But I dont get what you said out Big Papi. Whta did you mean by that?

Goof, read ESPN or Yahoo... Ortiz said he may or may not have taken steroids... he didn't know.. Ortiz, though, to his credit, said if he did take anything, it would have been in these sport drinks he had while home in the Dominican Republic, when he was younger... He said he stopped drinking them since he figured some of the ingredients were now banned by MLB... I'm sure Goth meant it as a joke and not accusing Ortiz as a steroid user...

Per story on ESPN:

Ortiz also said that he isn't 100 percent certain he hasn't taken steroids himself. He told the Herald that when he was a young player in the Dominican Republic, he used to drink protein shakes for sale there but no longer does so because he can't be sure they don't include banned substances.
"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that [stuff] up, and I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it," Ortiz told the Herald. "You've got to be careful. ... I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that any more because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off of buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican. But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

goofhook
05-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks for that report on Ortiz.:thumbsup: But that just causes me to wonder... maybe other Domican players used these protein drinks with substances in them without knowing?

DizneyFreak2002
05-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks for that report on Ortiz.:thumbsup: But that just causes me to wonder... maybe other Domican players used these protein drinks with substances in them without knowing?
Well, a player from the Mets organization, from the Dominican, was caught for the 2nd time for performance enhancing drugs and is now suspended for 100 games..... And isn't Sammy Sosa from there? Interesting huh??? LOL

JPL
05-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Sorry I still find it hard to believe that athletes who rely on the bodies to make a living are so clueless about what they put into it :confused:

Hammer
05-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Sorry I still find it hard to believe that athletes who rely on the bodies to make a living are so clueless about what they put into it :confused:

In the case of many of the Latin American players, they are for the most part poorly educated. A sizable number have no better than a 6th grade education. There are people who scour these island nations looking to discover that a child has a talent for baseball and don't really care much about any other facet of their lives. Many of these people give these kids pills and shakes, say they are vitamins, and the kids none the wiser. This does not excuse it, but I think gives an explanation of the kinds of players who are testing positive for banned substances.

goofhook
05-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Well, a player from the Mets organization, from the Dominican, was caught for the 2nd time for performance enhancing drugs and is now suspended for 100 games..... And isn't Sammy Sosa from there? Interesting huh??? LOL

Yes Sammy Sosa is from there, I believe Manny Ramirez came from there also. But, when kids grow up there, they basically only have baseball to play, so I'd say not all Dominicans are suspicous.

DizneyFreak2002
05-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Well Clemens made his first start in his return to the majors... Even though it was in the minors.. A little tune up.... However, until the Yankees start hitting, I don't think Roger can help much... AGH!!!!

JPL
05-19-2007, 03:32 PM
However, until the Yankees start hitting, I don't think Roger can help much... AGH!!!!

Unless he can pitch no-hitters and perfect games every start ;)