PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing! [Merged Threads]

Chase'sPoohBear
05-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I just got back from WDW, and I witnessed a disturbing sight. Two parents forced their four year old, kicking and screaming, to ride Dinosaur. The child was terrified, and was screaming,"NO"! Both parents had to push the child down in order to fasten the seat belt. Cast members simply ignored the incident. The father was telling the child that he was going to see dinosaurs. He made it sound like he was going to see Barney. The preschooler screamed the entire time, and when the ride was over, you could see blood marks on the father's arm. The four year old was tembling all over. What upset me the most was that both parents were laughing! In fact, they were going to buy the photo of their terrified child. I hope Karma bites both parents in the behind! You know if both parents were forced to go on a ride that they were terrified on, there would be the biggest lawsuit. Unfortunately, children have no rights.

jaredkari
05-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Wow that is pretty crazy. I am almost 30 years old at that ride kind of scares me!! I am not a fan of the big T-rex (or whatever it is) at the end of the ride. I couldn't imagine making a preschooler go on that ride. I can understand a parent wanting their child to experience something but not to that extent.

battle beast
05-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Oh my gosh, that's horrible! I would NEVER take my child (had I any!) on ANY ride they didn't wish to go on! Blood marks? The poor little baby!

I feel so bad for him... I really, truly do.
:( :crying:

Dinosaur: The ride is scary! I was terrified, and I'm 23! I had my eyes and ears closed almost the entire time!

I WILL NOT ride it again!

JPL
05-06-2007, 01:21 PM
I have seen this happen alot and not only at WDW. Along with it I have heard comments like "I have paid all this money you are going on the ride" :mad: Nothing like a little trauma for your child :rolleyes:

CleveSJM
05-06-2007, 01:33 PM
That is a little over the top. I think its ok for parents to encourage and try to get their kids to experience new things and to push the envelope a little. Seems too young for that lesson.

I'm ok with parents forcing their kids to experience things they feel the kids should be able to do. But not screaming and crying...

ImagiAsh
05-06-2007, 01:34 PM
What a terrible experience for that kid! It's one thing for parents to push/persuade their child to do something (and know when to back off). It's another thing to outright force them to do it when it's clear that the child is terrified. I hope their whole vacation wasn't like this. :(

mudpuppysmom
05-06-2007, 01:43 PM
The first time we took DS to Disney he was raring to go on Dinosaur.......we took him on and he did "ok". The next time we went, he was REALLY ambivilant about going on, but I didn't push him, and he did go, but he hid his head in me almost the whole time. The third time we went it was just DS and I and I asked him if he wanted to go and he pretty much told me on no uncertain terms that he did NOT want to ride that ride again........he just wanted to go to the shop after the ride and GET a dino to take home. We have made it a "tradition" if you will that he can shop there and bring a new dino home each trip. Do I MAKE him go on things? Sometimes, b/c he does not realize that they are NOT scary; if they have ANY scare value I shy away from them if he says no.......like HM, he doesn't like it b/c it scares him......ghosts scare a lot of people, so again, I don't MAKE him go on....I ask him if we can and if he shows ANY sign of ambivilance I go on. I think that making them try new things is OK, but if it's scary, beware......This coming Wednesday we'll be back at AK and I'll again ASK DS if he wants to ride Dinosaur!, he'll probably tell me no, so we'll go shopping for a new family member and that will be that, we'll move on......he'll try to talk me into riding Primeval Hurl.........

mook3y
05-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Last year, my DS4 wanted to go on the ride. I had never been on it before and figured, well it is the same ride vehicle as Indianna Jones at DLR, so figured to just go for it.

Well, I was very surprised at how scary it was and I was terrified for my DS and kept reassuring him it was ok.

His comment when we got off was "wow, that was kind of scary, I don't think I want to ride that one again."

I felt horrible about it and was glad that he was such a trooper. Because boy.... it startled the 7734 hour of me.

But, he recently told me that he wants to go on it again this year, but for sure wants to sit in the middle!

But to drag a child on that is obviously upset... just not right.

Reminds me of when I worked at Spencer's gifts many moons ago. At halloween time, I could not believe how many parents got a kick out of putting on "really scary" masks and terrorizing their kids. :confused:

As was put well in "parenthood" you have to have a license to drive a car, even go fishing but any ****** can have a kid.

Dakota Rose
05-06-2007, 02:03 PM
There's just no sense to it, really. I know as a Disney freak, I want him to experience everything but common sense tells me that some things are just too much for him. For example, when we went to DL last spring, he was tall enough to ride the Matterhorn. He wasn't even 2 yet (yes, he's a big kid)! Even tho' technically he was "big enough" to ride it, I didn't even consider taking him on it!

Growing up, we had two great aunts who basically turned us into fraidy cats. They didn't wear masks or force us on rides but they would make comments and tell stories and basically impart naivete and fear. I think that while instilling healthy fears (don't talk to strangers kind of thing), scaring a child is the worst thing you can do.

mttafire
05-06-2007, 03:36 PM
That is a little over the top. I think its ok for parents to encourage and try to get their kids to experience new things and to push the envelope a little. Seems too young for that lesson.

I'm ok with parents forcing their kids to experience things they feel the kids should be able to do. But not screaming and crying...
I agree..They shoulda tried the next visit. I certainly wont be FORCING my child to ride anything. YES, I will try to convince them to ride something they might be afraid of but never force them on it. These parents need a good smackdown..:thedolls:

dtootsie42
05-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Shame on those parents....as an observer I probably would have made some kind of comment which would have caused all sorts of trouble but I just can't stand to see kids being mistreated.

I'm 44 years old and that ride scares me, my three daughters laugh at me but don't force the issue when I say no mainly as one of them told me I never forced them to ride anything. My youngest (at the age of 8) made it all the way to loading at test track and for some reason said no way. Her dad and I looked at each other and I said no problem and the cast members led her and I away. The next time we went to Disney she was game to go and had a great time. I don't think that would have been the case if we had forced her to ride.

DizneyFreak2002
05-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I don't find that ride scary at all.... But for a 4 year old, of course it would be scary.... Those parents should be held responsible for any mental abuse this kid suffers from this... Imagine, if something happened to this child because his fear and nerves got the best of him, then how fast would they be seeking a lawyer and suing Disney for creating such a scary ride?

kakn7294
05-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Poor little guy! That's a terrible thing for his parents to do to him! 2 years ago, neither DD wanted to ride so we left them behind. Oh sure, we tried to talk them into it but they didn't want to. Last year, the oldest (at 11 yo) decided she'd give it a try. She liked it and is looking forward to it again. The 7 yo is still wavering about it. She says yes one day and no the next. Sure, we'll try to talk her into it when we are there - it's much easier if we all ride - but the bottom line is this: THAT'S WHAT BABY SWAP IS FOR! If she doesn't want to ride, she won't and we'll baby swap.

kadesha
05-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I can't believe that someone would force their child to ride such a scary ride!!! That is horrible! :(

Noah's Helper
05-06-2007, 04:19 PM
I can't believe that someone would force their child to ride such a scary ride!!! That is horrible! :(

I agree.

I'm also surprised that the cast members allowed them to go through with it.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-06-2007, 04:23 PM
I've seen this happen on the same ride before. It infuriates me! What losers these parents are! Say a little prayer for these children.

Pop Centurion
05-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Hey! That was me and it's none of your business what I do with my child.

:fresh: Just kidding.
That's such a shame for the poor little guy. I know how he must have felt. When I was 7 my babysitter literally dragged me onto a rollercoaster at six flags and I was terrified. I spent the entire ride latched onto her leg crying. As an adult you should have enough sense to realize what's not scary to you may be to a child. They may have caused him to be scared of rides for the rest of his life.

DisnIse
05-06-2007, 04:45 PM
My mom dragged my brother, then 7, on a roller coaster at some park somewhere in the world. She regrets it completely, and it is a family ritual that it is now discussed at every theme park we attend together.

He's now 40. And we still hear the same story. Every time.

I think parents get caught up in the moment, and forget the big picture about what they're doing. Hopefully, later, they thought better of it and bought the kid an extra Mickey bar.

For the record, my brother is well adjusted, but still a chicken when it comes to heights and stuff. He'll go on Space and Thunder, but I don't know if EE is in his future!

AliceinDisney
05-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Thats sick. Thats child abuse it really is, and yes there are rights for children. At least in Canada I think there are if someone were to see that and report it... That poor kid, I mean even my mom and I screamed on that ride! Im sorry but a big T-rex that looks lifelike is not going to be good for a little kid that age. Thats cruel and disgusting. It just turns my stomach to think people out there have kids that don't deserve them.

AliceinDisney
05-06-2007, 05:34 PM
I remember when my mom and I last went to WDW we went on Splash Mountain and sat in the very front seat and when the big drop came my mom and I screamed , which was mainly just for fun. But there was a little girl sitting behind us, and she was sobbing at the bottom of the drop, so I felt super bad. :(

Donald A
05-06-2007, 06:31 PM
I am surprised the cast members let him on.

LoriMistress
05-06-2007, 06:33 PM
That's apart of life unfortunatly. One ride will not damage a child for the rest of their life. Just focus on how you would raise your child, instread of focusing on how others raise theirs.

Not starting an arguement...just stating IMHO.

trackbarroness
05-06-2007, 07:10 PM
the parents probably told the CM's that the child was fine, and that he'll enjoy the ride. But from you posted about the child I would have told them he's not riding. I've seen parents take their child on Space Mountain who were crying. And got the line s/he acts like this before every ride they board and s/he'll be fine once the train starts moving. I'm sorry what? :confused:

DisneyDudet
05-06-2007, 07:31 PM
On our trip in Dec 2005, Dad and I were in line for RnRC and a child about 10 people in front of us was just SCREAMING that he didn't want to go. The parents were literally dragging him through the queue right before loading. When they got to the CM that asks you how many people in your group, he said "He obviously doesn't want to go on it, you have to go through here." He then led them through the "chicken" exit. I wonder if they told them about Baby Swap. A lot of people don't know. I think those people actually waited in standby line....

Anywho, I don't think its right to take your child on a ride they don't want to do. I would take them to the exit and see the other kids coming out of the ride.. maybe they'll see its ok.

That is so sad about the little child on Dinosaur. I hope that doesn't ruin Disney for him.

hubbyofadisneyholic
05-06-2007, 08:08 PM
While it is quite possible that "one ride won't damage a child for the rest of their life" one has to wonder how much of an isolated event this was in the life of that poor child.
Going to WDW is supposed to be a happy experience for children and adults alike. How many fun memories is this child going to have?

I can only hope these were otherwise good parents that just got caught up in the moment and made a very bad decision.

Just my opinion...

PirateLover
05-06-2007, 09:28 PM
That's apart of life unfortunatly. One ride will not damage a child for the rest of their life. Just focus on how you would raise your child, instread of focusing on how others raise theirs.

First off, there is no way to know that it is just one ride... If they forced him on this one ride and LAUGHED at the fact that it scared their child so much... That sounds pretty bad to me.

Not to mention the fact that when a child starts making a scene, it becomes everyone else's business because it is distracting and annoying. When a child is screaming and crying in a line, I consider it to be very inconsiderate of the parents to force the child on the attraction and continue to make a sene throughout the ride. Why should rudeness and bad parenting ever be accepted as "a part of life":confused:

mttafire
05-06-2007, 09:49 PM
First off, there is no way to know that it is just one ride... If they forced him on this one ride and LAUGHED at the fact that it scared their child so much... That sounds pretty bad to me.

Not to mention the fact that when a child starts making a scene, it becomes everyone else's business because it is distracting and annoying. When a child is screaming and crying in a line, I consider it to be very inconsiderate of the parents to force the child on the attraction and continue to make a sene throughout the ride. Why should rudeness and bad parenting ever be accepted as "a part of life":confused:
100% correct. I highly doubt this was isolated. Ive been a paramedic and firefighter for 13 years now. Its amazing the stupidity you see in parenting these days. I always say..Having a child may make you a parent but it takes a lot of love and responsibility to make you a mother or father.

AliceinDisney
05-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Yes I'm an aesthetician and I do ear piercing for little kids, and I flat out refuse to do babies in the salon where I work because I feel its unecessary to poke holes in an infants ears and hurt little ones that way. I'm not saying that people shouldnt do it if they're responsible about it and take good care of the earrings and watch the child, but theres still the risk run of the child pulling it out and swallowing it that people dont give much thought to. I also hate when parents make their kids get it done and some of my co workers have literally had to get the parents to hold the kid down to pierce her ears and some were screaming as though they might be at deaths door. Its horrible.

bratmaster
05-06-2007, 10:01 PM
ok, i have a unique perspective on this. I can speak for that child, as i WAS that child, all grown up now. I was the baby of the family, and my parents forced me onto rides at 6 flags that i was absolutely horrified to go on. I was also forced into haunted houses, crying all the way. And i was told by my angry father more than once that i "always ruin everyone else's fun". My brothers are 4 and 5 years older than me. Of course they always wanted to ride the big rides and go in haunted houses, but i was a little girl. And by being forced i became extremely anxious. To this day i cannot go into haunted houses or ride anything more wild than a carousel. I just become paralyzed with fear to try anything new, or anything that will "move" much. (Which is why i love disney - the dark rides are so perfect for me!:cloud9: ) So to say that one ride will not damage the child... i beg to differ. Don't get me wrong, my parents, especially my mother are wonderful people. For the most part they did the right things with me. But this was not one of their better parenting moments. I don't care if you have a dozen kids and 11 are wild ones; PLEASE do not force one child onto something they are afraid of to benefit the group! As an adult, i love to go with my mom and take my kids to 6 flags. But i will not ride anything there. i enjoy just watching. I guess i never would have loved wild rides anyhow, but my experiences as a child being pushed onto them did nothing for my psyche. And the worst part of it is, for as long as i love i will never get my dad's angered words out of my head, filling me with guilt for being afraid, "you ruin everyone's fun."

thejens
05-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Oh, it is too sad to imagine a 4 year old being terrorized on purpose by the people he trusts. It is much bigger than "just a ride." I think we should all speak up if we witness such child abuse. Cast Members should especially. I have a 3 1/2 year old and it breaks my heart to think of this. My very brave, TOT loving, Space and Splash Mountain riding, 8 year old was terrified of Dinosoar last year (he went on eagerly and I never guessed it would be so frightening for him after TOT!!!).

psychotekkie
05-06-2007, 11:06 PM
I agree. I think an incident like this should be treated the same as child abuse. Child abuse is not just hitting your kids, it includes things like neglect, verbal abuse and anything that is damaging to the child.

How selfish and cruel... They wanted to go on the ride at all costs? Even at the risk of traumatizing their own little child?

Maybe if people like us just speak out when we see things like this, just maybe they will think twice. If I was about to do something stupid and then a crowd of 50 people came down on me, I'm sure I would rethink...
And yes, it is taking a risk, but the worst that would happen is they would tell you off and ignore you, but maybe you could make a difference for that child, even if not this time, just maybe the parents would rethink doing that again...

I think we are too well trained to never interfere in another person's parenting methods. But in an extreme case like this, I would rather insult their parenting and know I tried to help that child.

lyle21
05-07-2007, 08:51 AM
disney world should be fun. poor little guy.

Sunshine1010
05-07-2007, 09:03 AM
I bet Dr. Phil would have a field day with these two parents......

I'd PAY to be at that show.....

T-Belle
05-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately, children have no rights.

This has always bothered me!

How could parents do this to their own child? Shame on them!!:shake: I too hope Karma bites them back!

c&d
05-07-2007, 10:06 AM
It amazes what these "parents" did to their child. I know when we took DS to WDW when he was 4 he was talking about how he was going to ride HM this trip. He said he couldn't wait. To this day we joke about how as soon as he heard the music as you get to the CM's out front he headed to the other side of the street. He was a little upset that it scared him, but we told him no problem we'll be back when he's older and he can ride it then. He finally rode it when we were out at DL when he was 5 and he loved it. We never would have forced him onto the ride.

Mickey91
05-07-2007, 10:29 AM
We have been known to talk our kids into riding things they really don't want to ride. But, we do not make fun of them if they end up truly hating it. And, we only put them on rides we really feel their imagination has blown out of proportion. Usually, they come off wanting to go right back on!:mickey:

bleukarma
05-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I’m 26 and that ride has scarred me for life! I can’t imagine what it could do to a 4 year old!!! Poor little guy!!!! Also, if I was in line and was forced to sit next to a screaming kid I would say something. Not only are they scaring the poor kid to death but I’m being forced to go through the ride with a kid screaming in my ear. But if those “parents” don’t care about what they are doing to their son then I highly doubt they care about what they are doing to the people around them. I know if I was a parent and my kid acted like that I wouldn’t force him on the ride not only because he didn’t want to go but for respect of other people on vacation. If the kid doesn’t want to go, he doesn’t want to go. Dinosaur will always be there and it could be something they could’ve caught next time. Unfortunately a lot of people try to cram EVERYTHING into their vacation and forget the fact that WDW isn’t going anywhere.

magicman
05-07-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't agree with the parents forcing the kid to ride the ride; however, I DO think the CMs did the right thing in NOT getting involved. It would be a very dangerous & slippery slope for CMs to have to gauge what constitutes bad parenting & step in when parents go over the bad-parenting-ometer.

SallyfromDE
05-07-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't see how a CM could get involved. But maybe they could have said "would you like to child swap?". I work in retail and have seen associates fired for approaching familys with kids crying. All it takes is for the parent to complain.

When were down a few years ago, my neice was having a terrible time. She was afraid to get on everything. Dad was frustrated with her as both parents are big gamers and coaster people. One morning he came back to the room from getting everyone coffee and said to Kirsta "you have come with me. I met Tinkerbelle in the Gift shop and look at what she gave me". He had a braclet with Tink on it. Told her she put pixie dust on it so she'd be brave to get on the rides. She rode SM, Splash, all the big rides after that. Works great.

Darbylew
05-07-2007, 10:55 AM
That is terrible. I feel sorry for children that
are forced on any ride that they don't want to
go on. DIsney is suppose to be a fun and
magical place for children. This child will not
have a good memory of this part of DIsney.

disneydaisy
05-07-2007, 11:14 AM
That really grinds me. Some people just don't seem to have enough common sense to be parents. What goes around comes around. I generally have the opposite problem. My DD7 loves roller coasters and thrill rides. She cries because she can't go on a ride at amusement parks or water parks because she is too short or I just don't feel that it is a good choice at that time. I will try a ride first to see if it is appropriate for her. On our last trip to Disney World, she was 4 and absolutely loved Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain Railroad, Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribean. On the other hand, she wouldn't go near Snow White's Scary adventures. She has been frightened of the Wicked Witch for as long as I can remember. Chances are she won't do it this year either and that is okay. She is ready to try new rides but I am unsure of a few and would like to hear from others about Space Mountain, Mission Space (green), Rockin Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. I have never been on any of these so don't really know how they compare. Thanks for any info.

Goofy Pluto
05-07-2007, 11:34 AM
I have two things to say about this...

First, a story...

A couple of years ago we were visiting friends when friends of theirs came over. They had just come from Six Flags. They had a boy I'm guessing to be about 7 at the time. Well, the father forced this boy onto everything, as far as we could tell. He was talking about how the boy didn't want to ride the big coasters, but he forced him on because "he had to get over that fear". WHY? What difference does it make if the boy never rode a coaster in his life because that was his choice and he didn't want to do it? Maybe some day he would be ready, maybe never, but the boy's life would still go on and be fine if he never rode a coaster. I'm ... in my mid-30s ;) and I still don't want to go on a ride that goes upside down. I refused to ride Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mt. until I was in my 20s. I didn't like roller coasters. Now, I can handle ones that don't go too high and don't go upside down, but I couldn't imagine if my parents had forced me on those rides when I didn't want to go. I tried one once... The Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens WIlliamsburg when I was about 8 or 9. I didn't like it! But at least it was my choice to try it then and my choice not to do it now. I just want to blast parents who do this kind of thing. But what can you do? It's just terrible...

Now my second comment...

We have a little girl who will be turning 5 while we are at WDW. She's a little bit of a daredevil. Yesterday she wanted the training wheels off her bike. She's only 4 now so I was hesitant to take them off at such a young age, but she was insistent. Well, don't you know, she hopped on that two wheeler and took off like she'd been riding on two wheels her whole life? Never in a million years would I have guessed that she was ready to have the training wheels off at only 4 years old, but she wanted to try it and did it. Proved me wrong and that she can handle more than I thought!

So she went on her first rollercoaster at Sesame Place last weekend (Vapor Trail, which isn't really that big, but could be for a child). She loved it. I'm imagining she'll be ready to do almost anything at WDW when we go, or at least want to try, but as a parent, I have concerns at her young age about putting her on something that she's maybe not ready for or doesn't understande. But at the same time, she's surprised me with how she's able to handle things I wouldn't have thought she could handle.

It's a tough thing to know sometimes exactly what your child can handle until they actually try. I would never put her on Mission Space at her age just because of the forces inflicted on you, but what about the Haunted Mansion? Or Dinosaur? I would certainly explain to her what the ride is, that it can be scary, and that it is make-believe, but I wouldn't necessarily tell her that she couldn't do it until she's actually tried something to see what the reaction is. But I would NEVER do what those parents did. I wouldn't force her to do something she didn't want to do, like those parents or the father I mentioned. To me, that's not showing a lot of compassion, empathy, or love for your own child and makes me sick.

Jenemmy
05-07-2007, 12:01 PM
In my house, it is the total opposite. My DS is the one pushing ME to go on Dinosaur, while I cry and scream "DO I HAVE TO!" and "YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!!" I love all rides, but that one....YIKES! I have probably ridden it 5 times but have yet to actually see it, if ya know what I mean.

I would never push my kiddo --although the little daredevil has always been hard to stop. I am a big proponent of describing a ride to my children, telling them what to expect and guaging their reaction.

I remember when my oldest was just tall enough to go on Rock n Roller Coaster. He wanted to, but was a bit apprehensive. So, I took him through the pre-show and then suggested we stand off to the side where they actually load the coaster and let him watch one take off. I fully figured hearing those tires screech and watching that thing take off like a shot would convince him to wait a few years. I told him we could leave if he wanted and no one would ever have to know that he didn't ride it.

Well, he watched as one of the cars took off and his eyes just went HUGE, and his mouth dropped. I said "So, what do you think buddy?" thinking he was in shock and the kid rubbed his hands together and gleefully said "oooohhhhhhhhh yeah, BABY!!!" LOL. He rode it, all right.

MincaMouse
05-07-2007, 12:03 PM
When I rode Dinosaur for the first (and only) time in October 2005, there were at least 2 screaming, crying preschoolers on the ride. I remember thinking as I heard them crying "what are their parents thinking bringing them on this ride?". I found Dinosaur a bit scary and way too rough for my back. This is one rider where they REALLY mean it when they say not to go on it if you have back problems. It could almost give you whiplash! Way too intense for small children. The sad thing is that my whole family is going next June, and I can imagine my sister being like "you have to ride it!" to my nieces.

DizneyRox
05-07-2007, 12:35 PM
This is why I don't agree with bringing young children to places like WDW and such. I feel that at some point, often parents will start to get aggrivated that they can't do what they want to (we are a selfish bunch), and then situations like this come about.

The CM should not have stepped in at all. That's just asking for trouble. Unfortunately though, the parents will probably just continue this treatment.

2Epcot
05-07-2007, 12:50 PM
That is terrible. I feel sorry for children that
are forced on any ride that they don't want to
go on. DIsney is suppose to be a fun and
magical place for children. This child will not
have a good memory of this part of DIsney.

I feel the same way. Last year when my brother bought his family to Disneyland, my 5 yr. old nephew was all excited about going on Indiana Jones. As we started walking through the incredible well themed caves, with the flickering lights, he was too scared by the time we got to the transport vehicles. He started crying, and didn't want to go on. My sister-in-law wasn't about to put him on if he didn't want to go. She had not been on the ride herself, and really wanted to see it, but she left with my nephew, and I rode with my brother and niece. Parents need to think about the child first, instead of just doing what they want to do. My brother will be brining his family back next month, hopefuly he will want to go this time. :mickey:

ZippitydoodaGal
05-07-2007, 01:04 PM
A similar thing happened to us in February. I was riding TOT w/my daughter and SIL and a man came on with a little girl about 6 yrs old. She was screaming from the beginning, calling for her mommy and it completely broke my heart. It made me think about my son who is 6 and would NEVER want to do that ride at his age. Needless to say, I did not enjoy the ride (have done it before, so no big deal), because that poor girl was in such misery. Me and my SIL tried to keep the atmosphere light for my daughter so she wouldn't get upset before the ride started (she's also been on the ride before.) I don't understand why the man brought her on in the first place, but I just prayed that she didn't have nightmares.:(

larandtra
05-07-2007, 01:06 PM
After reading through the entire thread, I have a few thoughts on the matter in discussion.
First- Anyone mentioning Dr. Phil loses all credibility. That guy is nothing more than a glorified TV wanna be with no more qualifications to be a shrink than anyone here. It just happens his buddy is Opal.
As far as the behavior of the parents- Tragic and wrong. Noone should force a screaming child onto a ride. Will it scar the child for life? Probably not. But, you have to consider that if the parents did this, what kind of life does the child endure each and every day.
As far as getting involved- We have to consider that we all parent differently and whether we agree or disagree, unless a childs life is being put in danger by parents, we have no right to tell them how to raise their child. It is presumptuous of anyone to think you know better, as you are unaware of the whole family dynamic or situation. So, it is best to probably go about your business, know you would never do that, and hope the child has a good day. But, confronting, or tossing your way of parenting out as the end all beat all is not the answer. After all, we all make mistakes as parents and do things someone else may not see as good.

murphy1
05-07-2007, 01:07 PM
They probably force the kids to play sports he doesn't want to play or activities he hates, too!
I think the part of this that is the worst is how they laughed at him when they got off the ride. My 5 yo went on Space Mtn and was a little scared and then gets upset when we couldn't get off and I was freaked out. She was fine, and loved it and went on it two more times later in the trip (she begged both times and never got upset otherwise we wouldn't have gone back), but there is no way I would force them to go on something.

CM~Mserrano
05-07-2007, 04:34 PM
When I worked on Mission: Space, there were always kids that were crying and scared to go on and their parents would force them on. I would always talk with those children and make sure they were okay. If they were really adament about not wanting to ride or so hysterical that they could not even speak for me to try to comfort them, I would suggest to the parent the rider switch option. Most times, the parents would either take their kids and leave or the children would tough it out and give it a go. Most of the time they loved it and it was the parents that came out :sick: (It was kind of hard to hide a smile at that sometimes :secret: ).

Its just being able to handle the situation, and in all truth, Mission: Space, with all the publicity it's gotten from having two deaths occur as a result of riding, it should be known it can be not for everyone. It does put serioud strain on the body, and making a child who is hyperventilating from crying and screaming get on this attraction could be a avery serious problem. I've seen too many people get sick or pass out that were perfectly willing to ride and just couldn't handle it.

Most kids are just scared of the unknown, and taking some personal time to speak with them will usually reassure them that it's all make believe. I remember once a small child was scared and asked me to ride with her. After making sure it was alright with her parents and my area manager, I took the ride with her. She did hold my hand (tightly... very tightly) the whole time, but agreed that it was fun and was glad she did it. It brought tears to my eyes that I could be the "experienced astronaut" that could help a little girl brave her fears.

If you have a child with you that is scared of a ride, don't hesitate to talk to a CM, since we usually know the way the ride works and exactly what happens during the ride, we can usually alleviate the fear any child has. That way the whole family can enjoy the vacation. That's what we're there for :mickey: :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
05-07-2007, 04:55 PM
That's really sad.

bratmaster
05-07-2007, 05:14 PM
First- Anyone mentioning Dr. Phil loses all credibility. That guy is nothing more than a glorified TV wanna be with no more qualifications to be a shrink than anyone here. It just happens his buddy is Opal.

It's OPRAH. And i do not agree - i love dr. phil.:doctor: and btw, he DOES have credibility as a liscensed therapist.

mrsHerbie53
05-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I think CM~Mserrano very nicely posted the "customer service" way of a CM trying to help a situation such as this. As another poster mentioned the CMs shouldn't be judgemental as far as parenting goes and they don't have to be in order to diffuse the situation. The can do their best to see that all riders enjoy themselves -- particular those whose parents are imbeciles.

Some people just don't seem to have enough common sense to be parents.

Remember - Common sense is not all that common!!!! ;)

LoriMistress
05-07-2007, 05:38 PM

I guess you missed it the first post I wrote that I didn't want to start an argument. This is a personal choice on how you would raise your child. I don't see these adults/parents as evil people purposely hurting their child, like you do. Whatever you say has no real proof or value to the argument, because you don't have any facts to back up your point--you're just speaking your own opinion.

And that's okay. There's no reason to turn this issue heated. I would suggest to not start an argument with me, because it will go no where.

Have a magical day! :mickey:

dumbo ears
05-07-2007, 06:10 PM
wow. thats crazy

PirateLover
05-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I guess you missed it the first post I wrote that I didn't want to start an argument.
I didn't miss it, but the fact that you had to type that caveat proves that you knew your comment could possibly be inflammatory. You chose to post it, knowing that people would respond.

I don't see these adults/parents as evil people purposely hurting their child, like you do.
I don't believe I said anything of the sort. I said that it LOOKS bad and that is also a major inconvenience to other guests.

I'm not trying to start an argument either, but please don't accuse me of not having all the facts when you don't either. You were the one who said it is "just one ride"... you are assuming just like everyone else in this thread.

BethieTink
05-07-2007, 07:11 PM
I just got back from WDW, and I witnessed a disturbing sight. Two parents forced their four year old, kicking and screaming, to ride Dinosaur. The child was terrified, and was screaming,"NO"! Both parents had to push the child down in order to fasten the seat belt. Cast members simply ignored the incident. The father was telling the child that he was going to see dinosaurs. He made it sound like he was going to see Barney. The preschooler screamed the entire time, and when the ride was over, you could see blood marks on the father's arm. The four year old was tembling all over. What upset me the most was that both parents were laughing! In fact, they were going to buy the photo of their terrified child. I hope Karma bites both parents in the behind! You know if both parents were forced to go on a ride that they were terrified on, there would be the biggest lawsuit. Unfortunately, children have no rights.

Sorry you had to see this too.

I wonder if this was the same parents who forced their pre schooler on to SM on Thursday. The little boy was in the middle seat between his parents and was desperate to get out. He tried to climb out and Dad held was grabbing from the front and Mom was pushing him down from the back. The CM asked if they wanted to do the child swap, but they no. Everyone in line was commenting on how horrible this was.

It was definitely not magical.

Catwillow
05-07-2007, 07:27 PM
As a parent (with common sense most of the time) I HAVE said things to parents standing in line with terrified children. I have reminded them that "isn't it wonderful that there are so many rides @ Magic Kingdom (insert park of choice) that kids of all ages can have a great time on". Then the next sentence is "you do realize there is a baby/child swap option for parents whose children are afraid, uneasy, or too young, or not mature enough". Surprisingly there are a lot of people who DON'T realize it. For the most part it works. I have also seen CM's make suggestions that the parents swap out.

Also, sometimes a stranger talking to the child about other rides they had been on or seeing Mickey Mouse (or any other character) has also worked in diffusing the situation. I have made comments in passing about "just being tall enough doesn't make it mature enough to ride". Somewhere in an impromptu conversation with my friend OR her grandkids if the opportunity comes up. I think that you can be non-confrontive in a gentle way and appropriate way. It's unfortunate and sad that this child had to endure that kind of trauma.

Kathleen

T-Belle
05-07-2007, 07:41 PM

From Wikipedia:
McGraw graduated from the Midwestern State University in 1975 with a B.A. (Bachelor of Arts) in psychology, and then went on to get a Masters in experimental psychology and a Doctorate in clinical psychology at the University of North Texas

Dr. Phil
Dr. Phil
Dr.Phil

bratmaster
05-07-2007, 09:06 PM
thank you, T-Belle. My point exactly.

HereWeGoAgain!
05-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Forget Dr. Phil, let's all remember why we go to Disney World in the 1st place - we all want to revert back to our childhood! That being said, to "force" any kid onto a ride is beyond cruel - my DS was 5 the first time we went to the World and I can honestly say he was only interested in "happy" rides - that was just fine with me! I was on a first name basis with the CM from Buzz Lightyear ... In truth, I go to Disney to put a smile on my kids faces, and to make lasting family memories for us all - WHY you would want to include TERRIFYING the poop out of your little one is beyond me....:confused:

prttynpnk
05-08-2007, 07:09 AM
He was talking about how the boy didn't want to ride the big coasters, but he forced him on because "he had to get over that fear". WHY? What difference does it make if the boy never rode a coaster in his life because that was his choice and he didn't want to do it?

Don't most good job interviews include a thrill ride portion? What about Ivy league colleges? Forget the SAT scores, can that kid handle negative G's?
I'm appalled- for me the happiest place on Earth has never involved stomache-churning rides- it doesn't have to- they need to let their kid be the kid he is and stop being a jerk.
As a non-parrent, I applaud all of the parents I'm reading here who find this shameful.

crazeedizneefinatic
05-08-2007, 12:14 PM
How truly horrible! I also once experienced something at WDW that to this day I can see it so clearly. We were about to get on Alien Encounter and a mother and child were in our group. This child kept pleading with his mom to not go on. She just kept saying to him "it's fake, you will be okay". He screamed the entire time. I am not sure how old this child was but he was little. When we were exiting the ride he was so upset he was vomiting on the way out. Do you think the mother stopped or anything, no way. Everyone was appalled! Everyone made sure to make a comment to her on the way out, it was that bad. This is truly a sign of child abuse!

Figgyluv03
05-08-2007, 12:42 PM
That poor child! How could you force a little kid to go on such a frightening ride! How could the parents not only embarrass the child, but embarrass themselves. I would never make a child go on a ride they didn't want to. I would just do the baby swap or figure out another plan.

Mom2princesses
05-08-2007, 03:32 PM
This really upsets me being a mom of two children. Although I am going to admit to something that sounds like bad parenting and I guess it was. When my older daughter was 5 years old we at Disney in the beginning of Feb. It was relatively empty and this ride was just boarding in the MK. I had no idea what the ride was about and figured since it was in the MK it would be fine to rush on to it. My dd was excited and we ran on the ride not knowing what to expect.

Well it was Alien Encounter. I ended up sitting in between my daughter and another 5-6 year old that we did not know. Neither of them were scared when the ride started. Well as the ride progressed and I saw what it was I felt horrible. Both my daughter and the little girl next to me were squeezing my legs they were so scared and screaming too! I tried to comfort both of them and couldn't wait for the ride to be over. I have no idea who the other little girl was on the ride with but I have a feeling her mom or dad was not sitting next to her.

After the ride I noticed all the warning signs that WDW had posted. I just didn't pay attention because we were in such a hurry to get on before they closed the doors. Well because of this my dd would not go on any ride that was dark. Even totally innocent ones for the rest of the trip. Believe me she is a daredevil and even went on RNRC several times. She loved and still loves roller coaster type rides the bigger the better.

Anyhow I felt totally awful about the whole thing and I would have never gone on if I took the time to stop and read the signs.

But I would never drag either of my children on a ride if they didn't want to ride. We go to WDW for them more than anything.

Yes sometimes well meaning parents make a mistake. I sure did and I will never do that again.

That poor little guy and all the other children mentioned on this thread really make me sad. I would be in tears myself seeing them dragged on the ride. It sure would ruin the whole experience for me too.

thrillme
05-08-2007, 05:08 PM
I can't say I'd never drag my child on a ride he didn't want to go on...but at the same time...I wouldn't drag my child on a ride that he was THAT terrified of that he was kicking and screaming. I wasn't there but it sounds like the reaction was quite EXTREME for some reason. At the same time I've seen some parents put the child on Dinosaur and they'd start off crying (not necessarily throwing a "tantrum" just crying...nobody was holding him down to buckle him in) then at the end of the ride they were so "pumped" they were "begging" to go on again.

My son was scared to death in Honey I Shrunk the Audience. I pushed him to go back to it again even though he "threatened" to call Grandma and tell her. I told him go ahead...she couldn't do anything to me where we were...nah...

He was "disgruntled" but he was NOT kicking and screaming. Of course I wanted to clarify to him what 3-D really was. I didn't have a big problem other than I identified who was the MOTHER. I also told him if he got too scared again we'd leave.

As the movie started I frequently lifted his glasses so he could see what was REALLY happening and how the glasses made everything work together. He was FASTINATED after that and would NOT admit that he was afraid at all...To this day he LOVES anything 3-D.

Four seems a little young for Dinosaur unless the youngster likes that sort of stuff naturally. I know my DS was "fastinated" by Jurassic Park on the big screen TV when he was a mear year old. It was the movie playing at Circuit City when we were shopping for TV's. My husband was holding him and every time he walked away from the TV and the Dinosaurs my baby would scream and point to go back. Go figure.

Overall I'm a little surprised the CM let them take the child on. I've seen CM's tell a parent they can either do baby swap or else they wouldn't let them on the ride till the child is calm about it. I've seen annoyed parents storm off too but the CM held his ground (this was on Space Mountain).

disneymom2000
05-08-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't know the whole situation but when my god daughter was almost 3 ( a tall 3) she went on all the rides. She loved them. When we went back a year and half later, she started crying when we got to Spaceship Earth. I was surprised. Her father told her sternly that she was a big girl and we were going to ride the ride. She relunctently went in and loved it and wanted to go again. She did this on almost every ride - even Test Track. She had a little friend at home who is scared of all rides and had scared her as well. Once she realized that she had liked the rides, it was all smooth again. But again, the parents should know there child well enough to know if it will traumatize them or if it was just someone else trying to scare them or scared of the unknown.:scratch:

maizey05
05-08-2007, 07:16 PM
That's horrible to force a child to go on a ride. I think dinosaur is way to scary, dark, etc. for a preschool age child. I look forward to many many rides on dumbo with my little boy when he is that age (3 months now, a ways off).

maizey05
05-08-2007, 07:28 PM
After reading the post about forcing a small child on Dinosaur, it made me think of something I saw last time I was at WDW. I was waiting in line at the Haunted Mansion. Two middle age women and a woman (seriously, I would say she at least had to be 80) were in front of us. The 2 younger women were heckling the elderly woman about going on the ride. She kept saying, "no, I don't want to go on that ride, I'm afraid". This lady really sounded upset, and worried. The other two harassed her until it was time to hop on the ride. By that time, the elderly woman was in tears and saying she wanted to leave. The other women physically dragged this woman on the ride as she was crying and protesting! My mom and I watched in horror. I couldn't stop thinking about this the whole trip.

Donald A
05-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Walt Disney World is supposed to be fun for everyone who goes. If you don't want to do something you shouldn't. I mean it is a theme park and supposed to be fun. Everyone's idea of fun is different.

I am yet to ride Expedition Everest or Soarin' - the lines were too long. I am sure people would think I am nuts and I am missing so much. Fact is they are just rides, and I love WDW. I enjoy WDW so much I joined the DVC.

We are taking the family including my parents and my wife's mom and elderly father next January to WDW. After reading these I have decided that I am not going to push my family to do anything they don't want too. If then need a little encouragement to do something fine, but otherwise I will enjoy spending time with them and make sure that they enjoy their trip. After all I don't want anyone writing about me on here in this negative way. ;)

TFrauts
05-08-2007, 11:26 PM
ughh...You guys reminded me of the last time i was at WDW!! My mom and I were eating at the rainforest cafe. I went in to use the bathroom....as I was washing my hands, this lady dragged her child(I am assuming he was her child...he was asain, and she was white, so I just assumed he was adopted....which makes this story even worse!!) in and plopped him in the corner. She got right in his face and begn screaming that she was 'sick of it...and couldn't deal with it anymore'....when I say screaming....i mean...screaming...the little guy was about 4...I was so upset...I wanted to start crying...it didn't even seem to phase him....but she just kept going on and on and on....screaming right in his face infront of everyone in the bathroom...I just stood and glared, at her until she stopped, hoping she would notice that she was making everyone uncomfortable...she finally took a breath and looked up and noticed me glaring at her....she said 'sorry' which didn't cut it for me....I wanted to wring her neck...at least leave the restaurant...ughhh....I HATE people like that...the rest of my night was ruined....and I still wonder about him...and what his life must be like...This might not sound that bad in writing, but to be there and witness it, I felt sick to my stomach....if I was back home....it was so bad, I probably would have called CAS or something....The little boy was most likely brought here(to this country) to live a better life....but from what I witnessed, I honestly think he would have been better off staying in his homeland with less money...he probably would have been more loved!!
sorry for going on and on...this has really bothered me ever since... :mad:

Pipalotta
05-08-2007, 11:27 PM
I was never the screaming child who didnt want to go on rides, I was the four year old whos favorite movie was "Hell Rasier" and who would jump off the top of the slide if my brother told me too. My mom always told me things were just make believe and couldnt hurt me, I never had a television inspired nightmare until I was 12yrs old. I am the rollercoaster junkie.

Ive worked with lots of children, actually my major is Juvenile Justice, but anyways, I am sure this will cause an up roar, but most parents force their children to do things they refuse like trying foods. Now you may be saying hey it is just vegetables forcing them wont hurt them. But you are still forcing your child to do something they dont want to. If you believe forcing a child on a ride is forcing then anything else you do is forcing too. Sorry I am just pretty black and white when it comes to issues.

As for the parents forcing this child to do it, they know it wont physically hurt this child as it is just a ride, how do you know you dont like something if you have never tried it? Right??? Also this may have been a one time incendent and you dont know how the rest of the day had been.

I am sure that some children who have been forced into doing something realized at the end that it wasnt as bad as they had thought.

LoriMistress
05-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, the situation could have been worse, TFrauts. She could have screamed at the child at the restraunt. Instread, she took the child in the restroom so she could vent/disopline.

maizey05
05-09-2007, 12:30 AM
You'd think people would refrain from that kind of behavior to save themself from looking like an idiot, if for no other reason. It makes me cringe when parents are that way to thier kids. I just couldn't believe someone would be that way to an elderly person. I'd give someone that age big points, just for being able to spend a day at WDW,regardless of if they go on thrill rides or ones that might give them a heart attack.

GiltterDisneyGirl
05-09-2007, 01:59 AM
I have seen this in many different ways, and it isn't a pretty site to see. The most I have seen is parents yelling at their kids to take their fingers out of there ears during fireworks. When 1 out of 10 kids have Recruitment Hearing, and I myself have that, and thank goodness my Parents found out before it was too late. Because with Recruitment Hearing and getting any damage (pain) is permit damage, that can end up becoming deaf.

I have only cried over one ride and that was the Matterhorn @ DRL, but as soon as my mom and dad had me talk with a Cast Member at the front of the line I was, ok with going on it.

TFrauts
05-09-2007, 05:01 AM
LoriMistress ,
Trust me...I had a feeling thats how it was going to sound to some people who read it....she was not 'disciplining'....She was acting CRAZY....
She probably was acting like that in the restaurant, and someone asked her to go somewhere else....I just got a sick feeling that she should NOT have children...
I totally agree with disciplining your children...and if she did go to the bathroom without being asked, then thats good...I have no problem with that part....the issue I have is how she was handling it...
i grew up with 2 hard to handle brothers....I totally understand that sometimes children need to be taken aside(to the bathroom, or back to the hotel....whatever...)but this lady was the one with the issues...the boy was very young....he needs to be taught the proper way to act in puplic...and by her acting the way she was in puplic, he obviously wasn't getting the proper 'training!'

magicman
05-09-2007, 11:26 AM
I just found out that the "Friends" Statue With Mickey & Walt holding hands was really an artists rendition of Walt dragging and forcing Mickey onto Space Mountain. This disturbing fact was revealed by Opal herself while on the Dr Phil show.;) :D

Here we go again...
05-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Well, the situation could have been worse, TFrauts. She could have screamed at the child at the restraunt. Instread, she took the child in the restroom so she could vent/disopline.

Maybe you should have started this one with... "Not starting an arguement...just stating IMHO"

CleveSJM
05-09-2007, 02:23 PM
I just found out that the "Friends" Statue With Mickey & Walt holding hands was really an artists rendition of Walt dragging and forcing Mickey onto Space Mountain. This disturbing fact was revealed by Opal herself while on the Dr Phil show.;) :D

:funny:Hilarious!!! Good one magicman!

Actually, people really need to be less judgemental. We don't know these people and their situations. We don't know the child and/or the parent. There was a thread awhile back about "annoying" things at WDW. Some people complained about parents disciplining their kids too much and others complained about kids running wild.

I prefer a little too much parenting to too little. Of course screaming and crying is a little over the top but the kid might also be a drama queen/king... Just relax and enjoy your vacation and don't judge others too much. If it seems like real abuse report it to someone and help the kid.

If not, just chill . :cool:

T-Belle
05-09-2007, 03:05 PM

:funny: :laughing: :funny: :laughing: :funny: :laughing:

You made my day!

Dicecatt262
05-09-2007, 03:07 PM
I have the opposite "problem", my kids are daredevils, at Disneyland one of my twins could ride Matterhorn at age 3, the other was too short and cried her eyes out. At age 5, she was too short for Space, he wasn't...again, tears...at age 7, she was too short for RnRc, again, he wasn't...mucho tears that got her a CM vest and a "CM for the day" certificate, she directed people off the coaster...

DH, boy twin, and older girl went on Mission Space when boy twin was 5, Girl twin too short and I was smart enough to stay off with her, this was before the Green version...DH came off sick, two kids came off LOVING IT. I wore a motion sickness patch this past trip just so my own kids wouldn't call me Wimp.

I think it is appalling that any parent that would make a child so obviously afraid of riding ride...what purpose does that serve? To make them brave? If anything, the oppposite happens and they become terrified. Those same parents probably talked about how scary the ride is in the first place. We always let my kids decide what they feel comfortable riding, and they ride everything. I have a coworker that loves coasters, but his wife is terrified of everything and therefore so are their boys...

tyandskyesmom
05-09-2007, 03:22 PM
I have been known to force a crying Tyler onto "the Figment Ride" and into various 3-D movies...and then he will hop on Rockn' Roller Coaster!

I guess I just want to say, you don't know me or Ty (except from INTERCOT) and if you happened to witness us boarding "the Figment Ride" with his now 3 year old sister singing down the line and smiling you might be saying the same about me. But, you would not know if this went on all day long or if it is isolated to a few rides here and there or the reason behind it. And I do not think anyone here would be able to tell m ethat by making him ride Figment with his family is going to traumatize him for life! Now, the kicking and screaming part might be a bad thing (and we have never had that) but we still do not know the details behind why it was going on. 4 years olds can be quite stubborn (which is what Ty's issue is (and has been since about the age of 4)---he tried to be the boss by attempting to have his version of a tantrum, albeit a small one by tantrum standards) we don't let it work at home and won't at Disney World either. He actually likes the things he puts on his display for afterwards. I think his baby sister (who is 5 1/2 years younger than him is going to be the dare devil, or at least the one willing to be!)

On his first ride on Startours, which was his idea as soon as he was big enough, he worked himself up big time. The CM even came over and talked to him about if he really wanted to go and told me if he did not calm down we would have to step aside and wait until he did. He did not want to get out of line. He calmed down enought for the CM to allow him to ride but he was still tearful until the end...now it is one of his favorites!

I will make him ride things if I know he will like them. Now, he has been on Dinosaur and does not like it...in fact it scares me too and I prefer not to ride. He has not ridden Everest yet or Tower of Terror (and I think he will love both when he gets there) and we did not force it but if you happen to see us approaching Figment or It's Tough To Be A Bug, please do not think we are bad parents based upon what you see there...after all we do bring our kids to WDW!

psychotekkie
05-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Sorry, not to drag out an old question here. I know it would not be appropriate for CM's to interfere with parenting decisions...

I read somewhere (on an older thread about height restrictions and such) that there was a lady who fulfilled height restrictions on a roller coaster (not at Disney) but still managed to wiggle out of the restraints during the ride and managed to kill herself in the process.

Then I think about all those messages that say "please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times".

Now if a kid is having a fit and really squirming to get away, is it not possible that they could be endangering themselves by getting their little body parts out of the ride vehicle or trying to stand up? maybe they would hit their head on a support truss, or maybe get their arm knocked off (that has happened on rollercoasters in other parks). I don't know. It just seems like a safety concern, especially for a 4-yr old who probably "just made" the height requirements.

I think on those ground alone, a CM could use their discretion and say "this is not safe. please use baby swap or wait until the child is calm". Is this too presumptuous of me?

cetacean01
05-10-2007, 09:30 AM

I have to agree
We are all getting a second hand story here.:ditto:
Perhaps the parents were simply distracting the child by laughing it off. Or buying him a picture so he can see how brave he was? That is a great way to overcome fear ya know.
I think that instead of all of screaming off with their heads, we need to remember that there is always 3 versions of a truth, yours, mine and the one in the middle.
Not everything is abuse folks. Not saying this isnt a case of that, because I wasnt there either but Lori makes a great point, we are so wrapped up in other peoples lives that we quickly lose focus on our own.
These people could be fantastic parents, lets stop villifying them for poor judgement in this case.

disneyorvegas
05-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I've worked in community supervision for 23 years and I would confidently state that the act of parenting is getting worse as the years go by. Schools and social work agencies are seeing the biggest effect of this because schools, rightly or wrongly, are being asked to compensate for the lack of effective parenting skills and lack of supervision. It's easy to say pay attention to your own life and leave other people alone, but the many ineffective, ignorant, and misguided parents out there affect everyone around them, its not something to just ignore. By the way, incompetent parenting is not restricted to any specific socio-economic scale, it's fluently practiced by a wide range of society. Should we ignore child abuse or neglect and just pay attention to our own lives, certainly not. Who knows exactly how bad this incident was, but I commented on this exact type of occurrence in the height requirement thread; parents who drag their screaming, frightened children on Dinosaur or any similar ride, because the parents want to ride the ride without any inconvenience and they're going to make their kid ride it no matter what. You know what? That is a perfect example of when that type of parenting is negatively affecting the people around them, including the CM's. That type of behavior by parents is wrong and it shouldn't really be ignored.

SurferStitch
05-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I agree with those who said we shouldn't judge this couple without knowing the facts.

It's possible this kid was throwing a tantrum because they just didn't want to go on the ride...not that they were terrified, but just didn't get their own way. Did the child scream that they were scared? Was the child just ticked off and wanted to be somewhere else? Did the child not get a toy they wanted just before they entered the ride? There are countless possibilities here.

Point is, there are many, many reasons why a child is upset....so maybe the parents should be given the benefit of the doubt here.

BUT, if the child was truly terrified, then the parents shouldn't have dragged him on. It's just not right. Unfortunately, we aren't mind readers, and an upset child who's screaming mad can look a lot like a screaming scared child (especially when they work themselves up).