PDA

View Full Version : 'Ohana Question

CandleontheWater
05-06-2007, 09:04 AM
I've made an ADR for Ohana for our Oct. trip and I'm starting to have second thoughts. I just heard a horrible review on one of the podcast I listen too, they specified that the food was served cold and that the "entertainment" was very disruptive. I was wondering what you all thought of the food at 'Ohana, and if you thought it was too loud and kid-centric. DH and I like kids, but we're not looking to have a meal in an atmosphere that mirrors a day car or elementary school playground. I was just wondering what your experiences at 'Ohana have been.

Nicki'sMom
05-06-2007, 09:21 AM
From what I have read, you should request to eat in the smaller dining room away from the main fire pit. That is where all the action is. I hear the smaller dining room is a bit more private.

Mousehead35
05-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi there,
I've never encountered either cold food or disruptive entertainment at O'hanas. It's become a family fav for us and we are all set for our next visit this August.

The staff have all been friendly and we really love the food. We have no children, but do enjoy watching the activities that include family participation.

wdw_bound
05-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Ohana is a must do for us every trip. The food is great - the only problem I have ever encountered was being rushed once, but when I asked our "cousin" to slow it down, there was no problem. Everyone has an off night, so if your food is not to your liking - send it back with an explanation. Give the restaurant the chance to make it right and 99.9% of the time, they will.

The menu is designed for carnivores (DH is a big meat eater), but there is something for everyone. I love the salad and the Maui potatoes. DD loves the shrimp and the wontons. None of us care for wings in general, so we often ask to skip them.

The entertainment is very kid focused, but in good fun. DD loves to go up to hula, and we think DS will get into the coconut race this year as well. The race can get a bit rowdy - but it is over very quickly and doesn't seem to bother most people.

Last time, we were seated to the right of the hostess stand and couldn't see any of the entertainment. Not so good for us, but very good perhaps for those without kids - the view from the windows was still very pretty.

I'd keep the ADR, go with an open mind, and follow your meal with a walk on the Poly beach after dark - find a nice hammock where you and DH can enjoy the view in relative solitude as the EWP and/or fireworks take place right in front of you.

murphy1
05-06-2007, 12:12 PM
We love this place too. We had my gp anniversary at Ohana and we love to go as a family (with our three kids too), but there are many honeymooners there and the food is awesome! Make sure you have a Lapu Lapu in the bar! I agree about sitting back, you could request a window seat and have a nice view of MK and surroundings.

ImagiAsh
05-06-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm sorry to hear that person had a bad time at Ohana. I did not find the entertainment disruptive at all and from what I can recall, the food was terrific! :mickey:

Natazu
05-07-2007, 06:21 AM
The entertainment is part of the experience. I don't think it's obtrusive. You can ask for a table kind of away from the "show". They run some games for the kids; I've never found it anything but cute. As for the food, I can't imagine anyone getting served cold food. The meats come straight from the fire pit still on the skewers. The potatoes, wings, and shrimp come out so hot you can hardly handle them.

Basically, 'Ohana is not someplace to have a romantic dinner for two but it's definitely fun and has some of the best food Disney offers at an affordable price.

SurferStitch
05-07-2007, 06:36 AM
DH and I went for the first time this past December, and it's now a must-do for us!

We were given a HUGE table (for 8) for just the two of us that was located a little back from the fire pit, along the windows. We had a great view of the pit, the main dining area, and the activities.

Since we were celebrating an anniversary, the gentleman "running the show" had us come up with another couple to dance to Blue Hawaii. We were given leis to wear, and I also participated in the hula lesson (DH wanted nothing to do with that :D ).

I never even noticed any coconut races if they did occur. It just wasn't that loud at all in there.

Our server was so nice, and brought out the food at a perfect pace. Nothing was cold (that shouldn't be anyway), and everything was delicious.

Can't wait to go back this December! :thumbsup: :tiki:

Spaceship Tigger
05-07-2007, 07:28 AM
If someone thought the entertainment at Ohana was disruptive, then they were in the wrong place. It should be pretty well known that Ohana is not the place for a quiet dinner. Still, I've only seen the coconut races there and hear that there's music going on sometimes. That doesn't seem all that disruptive. The food is great and I honestly can't imagine it being cold since it comes straight from the fire.

prttynpnk
05-07-2007, 08:31 AM
We have a great time at O'hanas and we aren't really kid people. It was kind of fun to watch the races, but they never disturbed us or kept Cousin Debbie from constantly bringing us more and more hot food- I wouls ignorew that podcast and try it. It's an experience you shouldn't miss!

King Triton
05-07-2007, 12:24 PM
I've only been to O'hana once so far, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't put it in "the rotation" much earlier.

I found the food to be among the best I've had on property.

The "show" is pretty unobtrusive and isn't nearly as dominant as you might find at Whispering Canyon, for instance.

Bruegge
05-07-2007, 12:33 PM
The entertainment is part of the experience. I don't think it's obtrusive. You can ask for a table kind of away from the "show". They run some games for the kids; I've never found it anything but cute. As for the food, I can't imagine anyone getting served cold food. The meats come straight from the fire pit still on the skewers. The potatoes, wings, and shrimp come out so hot you can hardly handle them.

Basically, 'Ohana is not someplace to have a romantic dinner for two but it's definitely fun and has some of the best food Disney offers at an affordable price.

Yeah, ...... What he said...LOL

Scott

ThanxForNoticin
05-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Another major thumbs-up for 'OHana. We've eaten there many times, and the food is awesome. If by chance something did come out cold, all it would take is one word to your server and I'm quite certain any problem would be addressed immediately - that's the kind of place it is.

As for the kids' entertainment - if you are concerned it might be too loud, I agree with the poster above - just ask to not be seated in the main dining room area. That's where they hold the coconut races and the Hula lessons. When we eat there, we get the biggest kick out of watching the kids - we don't view it as a disruption. It's just a fun, informal place with great food - a must for us most trips. I hope you go and enjoy yourself.

DISNEYFIX
05-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Ohana is a must do for us every trip. The food is great - the only problem I have ever encountered was being rushed once, but when I asked our "cousin" to slow it down, there was no problem. Everyone has an off night, so if your food is not to your liking - send it back with an explanation. Give the restaurant the chance to make it right and 99.9% of the time, they will.

The menu is designed for carnivores (DH is a big meat eater), but there is something for everyone. I love the salad and the Maui potatoes. DD loves the shrimp and the wontons. None of us care for wings in general, so we often ask to skip them.

The entertainment is very kid focused, but in good fun. DD loves to go up to hula, and we think DS will get into the coconut race this year as well. The race can get a bit rowdy - but it is over very quickly and doesn't seem to bother most people.

Last time, we were seated to the right of the hostess stand and couldn't see any of the entertainment. Not so good for us, but very good perhaps for those without kids - the view from the windows was still very pretty.

I'd keep the ADR, go with an open mind, and follow your meal with a walk on the Poly beach after dark - find a nice hammock where you and DH can enjoy the view in relative solitude as the EWP and/or fireworks take place right in front of you.

DH and I went for the first time this past December, and it's now a must-do for us!

We were given a HUGE table (for 8) for just the two of us that was located a little back from the fire pit, along the windows. We had a great view of the pit, the main dining area, and the activities.

Since we were celebrating an anniversary, the gentleman "running the show" had us come up with another couple to dance to Blue Hawaii. We were given leis to wear, and I also participated in the hula lesson (DH wanted nothing to do with that :D ).

I never even noticed any coconut races if they did occur. It just wasn't that loud at all in there.

Our server was so nice, and brought out the food at a perfect pace. Nothing was cold (that shouldn't be anyway), and everything was delicious.

Can't wait to go back this December! :thumbsup: :tiki:

How about the Lilo & Stich breakfast?
Thanks
Chris

SurferStitch
05-07-2007, 01:36 PM
How about the Lilo & Stich breakfast?
Thanks
Chris

Oh, it's only the greatest single character breakfast EVER known to man!!!!

Okay, I'm biased because I'm just about the BIGGEST Stitch fan in the universe....just ask my DH! :blush:

We had a nice (smaller) table in the center of the dining room, and the characters really made a fuss over everyone...even us big kids with no kids of our own. I always have my plush Stitch backpack, and all of the characters made a big deal out of it. Lilo even stopped by a couple times to admire it. Got a GREAT pic of DH and Stitch doing a little rapper pose together.

Basic breakfast food, but very good. The pineapple bread was delicious, as were the potatoes. Service was excellent.

There was a little parade during breakfast for the kids. They played "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride". It was very cute. That was about it.

We'll be going there in December again, too!! :stitch2:

TheMartellFamily
05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
This is one of our favs in the meals on site. If it was cold it is the responsibiltiy of that person to let them know it is not to their liking. If nothing is said how is the servers or restaurant supposed to know? We have never had that problem. There are a few games for the kids but it is quick and painless. It is not a constant thing it is more 1 thing every 1/2 hour or so. The three times we have been there the activites were out of the way of where we were. If there is some issue with this let them know at the time you get to the check in desk for the meal that you do not want to be around it they will do their best to help you. I think you will be dissapointed if you miss is, it is truely a great meal in so many ways. The best thing is always to try and make a decision for your self.

Jared
05-07-2007, 03:01 PM
'Ohana is my favorite restaurant for dinner in Walt Disney World. The entertainment is part of the experience and completely unobtrusive.

My family has eaten at 'Ohana three times and never had a bad meal.

:tasty:

artyboy
05-07-2007, 03:19 PM
We eat there every trip and have never had a bad meal...and we've never found the entertainment to be disruptive...a little cheesy, but that's part of the fun.

The sheer amount of food is daunting, though. We always leave this place in pain...but we must like it!

DANAM
05-07-2007, 07:53 PM
First let me say Ohana's is my FAVORITE breakfast ever. I am not a breakfast eater so we normally do very early lunch and later dinner. As far as the entertainment goes, it can't be beat. We have only been for breakfast but it was the highlight of our trip. We try not to eat at the same places but Ohana's is one we do everytime. I am a mother of 2 small children 1 and 4 who love love Lilo and Stitch :stitch2: but regardless the food is great. With all that being said. If you do not like all that going on when you eat (and I can't blame you I don't either) and you don't have kids, I would suggest sitting off the main dining room but you still have to go.
One more thing if you are still in doubt. Last time we went April 2006 we vacationed with family. We were a party of 8 with 3 kids under 4. We had the dining plan for 7 night and evey meal we eat was a characher meal. My idea since my aunt only eats fried chicken tenders and plain hamburgers just meat and bun. I figured she could find something on a buffet. My aunt hated every meal not because of the food but because of all of that going on while we ate. Ohana was our last meal on the last day right before we drove home. This is the only meal she every tells anyone was good. She loved the food and loved the entertainment. So from someone that hated everything else, she loved Ohana's.:minnie:

Queen Stephanie
05-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Are you sure you were at the O'Hana? I can't imagine any food cold at O'Hana except the beverage. And as for entertainment...well, I found it to be relaxing and fun. O'Hana means family and that is exactly why we go EVERY year!:mickey:

CandleontheWater
05-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies. You have definately put my mind at ease. My DH and I do like children and we're even big fans of entertainment (especially if we can get involved :blush: ). The podcast described the entertainment to be amplified through a microphone as loud as a bullhorn, while children ran screaming like banshees making an unholy racket with coconut shells. Needless to say it did not sound like appealing dinner atmosphere. Dh was really looking forward to eating meat off three food skewers and sitting near a huge firepit and I just didn't want him to be dissapointed. Thanks to all of you intercotees, I'm only looking forward to our meal even more. Thank you! :rocks: