PDA

View Full Version : Pop Century Golden Years?

PinKy
05-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Does anyone know why they haven't opened Pop Century's Golden Years section yet?

Anyone heard anything?

angedeaile
05-06-2007, 07:46 AM
I have heard mixed things on Intercot's forums about if they are working on it right now and why it was haulted to begin with.

I know they wanted to focus on the current buildings like Contemp., so I assume they wanted to get that work done faster by using all the workers they had. Although, I don't know how true that is.

I like to think that maybe they didn't like the concept and are reworking the idea. How many kids do you know that would want to stay in the 1920s?

Kerry823
05-06-2007, 04:03 PM
We just stayed there in April and I asked the same question...who would want to stay in the 20's? I got a little excited thinking something was going on over there because I saw Disney buses driving around the deserted side of the resort. Someone responded that the drivers use that area for bus driver training. I think that the suite idea like they have done at the All Stars would be a great idea. Maybe they could rethink the 1900's, 20's, 30's...... and find something that people may find more interesting.

JPL
05-06-2007, 05:02 PM
The most current rumours has them becoming family suites in the near future with possible work to begin in the summer or early fall. I believe they have a 2008 target opening date.

Ian
05-07-2007, 11:31 AM
We just stayed at Pop last week and there didn't appear to be much going on over there.

I saw some bus traffic (which someone already pointed out is training related), but other than that nothing.

MsMin
05-07-2007, 11:39 AM
When we were there in 03 on opening day a CM told us that development of the golden years was stopped after 9/11 b/c travel was down. He believed they would finish it when bookings were up and remained up b/c there are another 2200+ rooms there. I'm not sure if he meant value room vacancy or all bookings. It makes sense. Attendance appears up so I would imagine its about time they pick up on that project again.

Crow
05-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Ive walked across the bridge and looked the times ive stayed.
ill do it again in Sept and see if anythings going on

Ian
05-07-2007, 06:50 PM
When we were there in 03 on opening day a CM told us that development of the golden years was stopped after 9/11 b/c travel was down. He believed they would finish it when bookings were up and remained up b/c there are another 2200+ rooms there. I'm not sure if he meant value room vacancy or all bookings. It makes sense. Attendance appears up so I would imagine its about time they pick up on that project again.That is accurate ... or should I say it was accurate at one point in time.

Remember Disney is under new management now and I get the feeling they're moving away from the desire to maintain all these hotel rooms and be responsible for filling them (remember that recent news article about the deal they signed with Four Seasons?).

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually razed the entire place or, at best, turned it into another all suite location. I think the All Star experiment has gone well.

Mickey91
05-09-2007, 10:35 PM
I can't imagine Disney giving up the opportunity to house its guests. If you are staying onsite you are more likely to eat and buy onsite. They would be fools not to develop the Legendary area of Pop. There are, after all, more of us with limited cash for vacations (especially with gas prices soaring) than there are with affluent means to splurge on Mods or Deluxe. Kissimmee is awful close by.

jakeofwildwood
05-13-2007, 08:08 PM
What if it were a work in progress?

Consider that instead of the 1910, 1920, etc buildings they make them the 2010, 2020, 2030 buildings and constantly add to the decor. Every year a section comes up a little to match the contemporary views and then is maintained to that look for its tenure?

Crow
05-14-2007, 07:22 AM
What if it were a work in progress?

Consider that instead of the 1910, 1920, etc buildings they make them the 2010, 2020, 2030 buildings and constantly add to the decor. Every year a section comes up a little to match the contemporary views and then is maintained to that look for its tenure?

id like a scifi type theme like that!

Wells
05-14-2007, 08:39 AM
This area will most probably be converted to family suites as was earlier stated.
Also, when the value priced hotels open at the west gate development, I think you will see other buildings being converted to suites. Over the next few years, Disney will be attempting to increase the incentives to stay at their on-site properties. By reducing the overall number of rooms available, they can keep the crowd levels to a manageable number for events like EMH and offer some new fast pass related perks among other things......stay tuned.........

jakeofwildwood
05-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Just thinking again on my old answer.

Imagine the 2000-2009 building with Pixar inspired statues. 3 story high Mr. Incredible(yes, I know Buzz is at ASM). A pool shaped like the World Trade towers (nice memorial). Chicken Little flying saucers stuck out of the building as stair cases.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
05-14-2007, 12:48 PM
I think they should rename it All-Star Attractions and have buildings like...

its a small world
Pirates of the Caribbean
Tower of Terror
and include extinct rides as well, like...
Horizons
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Not to toot my own horn, but I think this could be a really cool idea.

jakeofwildwood
05-15-2007, 12:08 PM
OMG! How cool would it be to stay in a Haunted Mansion hotel! Ghost Hosts at the counters. Special food in the food court, that needs a thread all it's own! Good call :number1:

MsMin
05-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I think Disney's trend could turn back to being "exclusive" I remember when I was young :old: when you were hard pressed to find anything with Mickey on it that didn't come from the park. By keeping everyone one the grounds will help keep things in their control and a larger piece of the pie. I like the suite ideas. With stays becoming longer and longer I think suites are the way to go.
Personally, and I know we are "dreaming" but I think your future and ride based themes are great but with Pop I think the overall theme is retro and going back is the only way to go. You all can build another resort. Where would you put it;) ??

iceicebritney
05-16-2007, 01:25 PM
The whole situation with The Legendary Years area at Pop reminds me of the years after construction of just the boardwalk itself was built (across from the beach club), they bought a tram to tranport guests around from the hotels, but no hotel was built on the boardwalk for a long time. Tram & Bus drivers would tell you all about this great hotel they were going to build - which was supposed to have carnival rides... Everytime we came back to the beach club, we'd ask what was going on and why they hadn't done anything with it - they just kept giving us the same excuse that Desert Storm was going on, and they had to shelve the project because of that.
I think eventually, like with the Boardwalk Hotel, this area of Pop will become developed. Like Boardwalk - it'll probably be completely different than what it was origionally supposed to be... but hopefully they'll do something with it soon.
I like to spy on the construction site on Google Earth and other satellite providers. It's a great tool for seeing what Disney is up to!

BrerSchultzy
05-18-2007, 02:49 PM
I think they should rename it All-Star Attractions and have buildings like...

its a small world
Pirates of the Caribbean
Tower of Terror
and include extinct rides as well, like...
Horizons
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Not to toot my own horn, but I think this could be a really cool idea.

I completely agree...this is brilliant! And apparently, Disney agrees. The Legendary Years is ALREADY a Tower of Terror themed resort!

Rustin Allison
05-18-2007, 07:14 PM
I have stayed at Pop Century once and really enjoyed it. I do think that somethign should be done with those buildings though. It was almost like a ghost town behind the hotel! I like the idea of a Haunted Mansion themed hotel. I would definitely stay there!

Rustin Allison

Jim Conklin
05-19-2007, 12:09 AM
I stayed at Pop from May 7 - 10 and I could still see some of the lovely brown colored shell buildings, but I also noticed some construction tpe activity. I have a friend who is a cast member at Mama Melrose and he told me that they have torn down 2 buildings becasue of water damage.