PDA

View Full Version : things to *almost* stop your trip

ghost999
05-05-2007, 07:12 PM
hey ya'll, just wondering if ya'll have ever had anything to almost stop your trip from happening. We live about 5-6 hrs away and we had a wreck not more than 30 min. away from the house. but we still went. what has happened to ya'll :mickey:

lbjjh1
05-05-2007, 08:01 PM
I am 31 years old and was diagnosed with breast cancer last September. I had a trip planned for October and December. Even chemo did not stop my trips. As a matter of fact, I lost my hair at POP Century last October. What better place to loose your hair than the happiest place on Earth?

disneymom2000
05-05-2007, 08:10 PM
The airport just up and cancelled our connecting flight from Austin to Orlando (which was in Dallas). We had a party of 7 and another airline could not take us on. One of the kiddos with us started getting homesick while waiting for a plane to take us on to Florida or back to Austin. I am a believer in omens and I thought at that point the trip hadn't really started and it was getting pretty bad that we should just blow it off. But later the airline called in another crew and plane and got us to WDW afterall. Our 3 1/2 hour flight wound up being 13 hours.

merlinmagic4
05-05-2007, 08:40 PM
We cancelled our February 2006 trip because we couldn't find a decent airfare for the school vacation week. We thought we might have to cancel our April 2007 trip because of my son's health but we made it!! We also got rear ended on our way to the airport last month. The car behind us hit us pretty hard but there was actually not even any damage.....so we just kept on our way!

MrPeetrie
05-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Back in 2001, DW and I booked our flight with Travelocity. Our departure time was 7:45 a.m. We arrived at 6:30 a.m. (This was before 9/11.) As we were checking our bags curbside, we were informed our plane was leaving in 15 minutes. They told us to take our luggage with us and hurry. We flew through the airport, but we still missed our flight. (It seems the times got changed but Travelocity failed to inform us.)

I showed the printout from Travelocity to the USAir ticket agent and she said another plane was departing now and we should hurry to two gates up. When we arrived there, that plane was just taxiing to the runway. We returned to the original gate and talked to the USAir rep. again. She found us a seats on a 9:15 flight NON-STOP to MCO (Orlando). We had time for a quick coffee before catching our flight. Whew!

I have a feeling that would NEVER happen today.
:secret:

DisneyOtaku
05-05-2007, 09:14 PM
When I was about four years old, about three days before we were about to go to WDW, my dad threw out his back trying to lift a television set. We did not go that weekend, but wound up going the weekend after.

I still worry about my dad's back as he lugs my television up and down three sets of stairs when we move into my door room because I remember the pain he was in that day. :ill:

Niecyboo
05-05-2007, 09:46 PM
I know you said "almost" but our very first trip was completely cancelled when my MIL passed away the day we were supposed to leave. We ended up going two months later, and fell immediately in love with the place.

On every trip since, I stress out right before we leave if anyone gets ill, but we've never had to side-track since then.

kgoulash
05-05-2007, 09:51 PM
this year my dh lost his job, we didn't cancel but after a month of no job prospects we started talking about next year instead, 2 weeks ago dh got a job and tho he wont get a paid vaca this year we will be able to go on our trip as planned!

em-n-mia's-mommy
05-05-2007, 11:15 PM
It so far has not happened to us yet. But, my grandmother was just diagnosed with stage four metastatic carcinoma in her bowel and lymph nodes. It could be more places we just dont know yet. Since it is stage four i am worried that with our trip being in september something could happen to her then. I hope she lives another few decades, but i have to come up with a plan if something does happen at that time.

angedeaile
05-06-2007, 07:20 AM
I haven't heard many folks say that the time waiting for DW went well. For me, I have had so many situations happen that make me question if I should go...last time and this time.

I got really ill the week before the trip last year. I had to drive 7 hours to pick up my little brother and fly out from his city, but my trip took 9 hours since I had to keep pulling over :sick:
I decided to go to DW regardless. I was sick the whole trip, but it was worth it:mickey:

This trip...My parents said that my little brother could come previously, but recently changed their mind and informed me two days ago that my little brother will not be allowed to go.

More like my father saying, "He already went once. He doesn't need to go again. It is way too much money for you to be paying! You shouldn't go either. Save your money."

This is the kind of mentality that is to blame for me never going to DW as a kid. *sigh*

I have told him that saving isn't an issue. I have two jobs! So now that my buddy can't come, I am questioning going alone. :(

I have been looking forward to this trip so much, that I would hate to give up now!

kakn7294
05-06-2007, 09:22 AM
We still haven't told family about our upcoming trip - mostly to prevent the constant nagging because they aren't going with us and it's just much nicer right now that they don't know. Our problem is that my mom has been having back problems and thinks that her doctor is planning for her to have surgery. I'm hoping that if this is the case, it either happens before or after August! I don't know if she would deliberately schedule her surgery to mess with our plans but I don't want to take the chance.

DisneyEpcotDad
05-06-2007, 03:04 PM
I actuallyy did have a trip cancelled the day before my flight was to leave due to a snow and ice storm in the Midwest this past February. But, I had just been to DW for Christmas so I still had positive images from the recent Christams stay at DW. I did get a refund of my room deposit and airline flight. So all worked out well.

pook@wdw
05-07-2007, 07:44 PM
I was diagnosed w/breast cancer in Aug of 2001. I had my mastectomy on 9/11! What a day that was and not just for me. My DH thought we should cancel our trip scheduled for that Oct. but I was NOT going to cancel this trip. Not just for my DD, who was 8 @ the time, but for me and DH. We all needed a little magic! Well, we flew out on Oct. 6, 3 wks after my surgery. And a MAGICAL time was had by all. If only for a short time, we could forget our troubles, and just enjoy the wonder of living and being @ WDW/!:cloud9: Looking back know, I think that that trip was probably the most special of all!!:mickey:

Lucille
05-09-2007, 05:39 PM
I just cancelled our September trip to WDW. Recently, I found that we're expecting a little stranger in November and the thought of waddling around Epcot sweaty and sober just made me want to :ack:

Thankfully, I was able to change our plans and we'll be spending a week at Disneyland instead. There isn't as much humidity or walking!

DVC2004
05-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh several times. March 2006 we drove down and were rear-ended along the way. Everyone was OK and the car was driveable, so we continued on our way. Next morning, DH was awarded with a speeding ticket in Kentucky. Still kept going. The remainder of that trip was fine.

We went again in September of 2006, and this time two days before we left I stepped on a small piece of glass with my bare foot- ouch!
Had to have the glass removed the day before because it was so deep and had broken further into microscopic pieces. Still went, limped around all week with a bandaged foot, too.

Then December of 2006 we went for a quick weekend trip and the night before we left my youngest spiked a 103 fever. He was better and we still went.

As you can see, 2006 was not a good year.

DVC2004
05-09-2007, 05:52 PM
I just cancelled our September trip to WDW. Recently, I found that we're expecting a little stranger in November and the thought of waddling around Epcot sweaty and sober just made me want to :ack:

Thankfully, I was able to change our plans and we'll be spending a week at Disneyland instead. There isn't as much humidity or walking!

Well that is a great reason to cancel a trip- congrats!:thumbsup:

Lucille
05-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks DVC2004-

It is really exciting. The only slight damper is we just joined the DVC and we were looking forward to our 1st trip as members. We were booked at the Boardwalk and we were planning on having cocktails at the World Showcase and MGM and walking "home". That part really wouldn't work out. :cool:

Thankfully we can use our points at DL too!

Belle619
05-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Our trip to WDW went well, but last year's trip to DLR almost didn't happen. We decided to go in February, which isn't a good time of year in the northeast. A large snowstorm had struck and while we were able to leave our departure city, we had to circle above our connection city for over an hour while they de-iced the runway. I remember sitting on the plane looking at my watch and thinking "huh, we're supposed to be on the other plane taking off right now."

Luckily, everything was backed up, but when we finally got off the plane a flight attendent told us to run like we've never run before to our gate and to not stop at all - not even to go to the bathroom. We got to the gate completely exhausted only to find that the next plane wasn't even there yet! What a relief! We got to California around 12am instead of 7pm as planned, but at least we were there and we made it to Disney!!! :mickey:

k_reile
05-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Oh several times. March 2006 we drove down and were rear-ended along the way. Everyone was OK and the car was driveable, so we continued on our way. Next morning, DH was awarded with a speeding ticket in Kentucky. Still kept going. The remainder of that trip was fine.

We went again in September of 2006, and this time two days before we left I stepped on a small piece of glass with my bare foot- ouch!
Had to have the glass removed the day before because it was so deep and had broken further into microscopic pieces. Still went, limped around all week with a bandaged foot, too.

Then December of 2006 we went for a quick weekend trip and the night before we left my youngest spiked a 103 fever. He was better and we still went.

As you can see, 2006 was not a good year.

Yes but you still got to go to Disney...that I would say would definitely make up for your year:mickey:

crazeedizneefinatic
05-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Well, I can say we had 2 major incidents that almost stopped 2 different trips. Right before a September trip my Mom was coming out of an elevator in her office building. For some reason the rug was wet in the elevator and when she walked onto the marble floor of the lobby she went flying! The bones in her arm came through her skin and she was dazed. We did not know it at the time but her leg and hip were hurt also. This was 5 days before we were leaving for our trip. All she kept saying to everyone was that she was still going. She ended up with plates and screws to repair her arm. Needless to say we did not purchase trip insurance. After her surgery she insisted we went without her. She was worried about us losing our money. She was so disappointed. We did go for our sons sake. All we did was worry about everything.
Our other incidnet was last September. My Dad has had back problems for years. Numerous surgeries, screws and cages put in. Well, last time he had been suffering for about a month before our scheduled departure. So bad he could not get out of bed. He was secretly planning an operation while my Mom, me and my family were in Disney. He called me about a week before we were leaving to let me know! I immediately freaked out. He thought he was going to have major surgery without telling my Mother and only telling me! He did not want her to miss out on her trip. She really had some stresses and was really looking forward to the trip. Thank goodness he had a doctors appointment a few days later. I went with him. The doctor could not operate on him for 21/2 weeks. He still insisted we go. We would be back in plenty of time for his surgery. We hesitantly went but all we did was worry. Thank goodness for family. His sister helped out alot. Even went and cooked for him. Although my mother had enough homemade frozen stuff to last a year!

Belle--86
05-10-2007, 06:06 PM
On our 2003 trip my DD(1 1/2 AT THE TIME) first trip -- two weeks prior we where waiting for the paperwork to arrive-- several calls to the travel agent-no return calls. Well one morning my co-worker(I work night shift) brings me the paperand their is my travel agent on the front page beiing investigated for embezaling money!!!! Well I called Disney when I got home and they had our deposit only we had no air. Well thanks to family and no help from WDW ( they refused to relaese documents to us because they where issued to the agent)) we had to send police reports and finally got them.In all it was agreat trip and we did get our money back( SINCE WE DOUBLED PAYED) just in time to use for spending money on our next trip.

angedeaile
05-12-2007, 11:55 PM
....Well one morning my co-worker(I work night shift) brings me the paperand their is my travel agent on the front page beiing investigated for embezaling money!!!!...

Wow..that is crazy! It sounds like something out of a movie!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-13-2007, 12:24 AM
We had an uncle die not too long before one of our trips. But he timed it right so it didn't throw off our plans. I know that sounds cold, but he wasn't always a very nice person.

jkj1224
05-13-2007, 05:52 PM
A few years ago we were all set to fly down to WDW and then two nights before we were supposed to leave our airline announced that their pilots were going on strike the day we were supposed to leave...we managed to get an earlier flight and were on the last plane into MCO before the airline stopped flying...too close for me

princessjojo
05-13-2007, 06:23 PM
All of these stories make me thankful that for the most part our trips have gone off without a hitch.

The worst that has happened to us was last year we were to depart from our airport at 7:15am and I, who is always the first one up and depended upon to get everyone else up, overslept. We left our home 1 1/2hr before our flight for an hour drive to the airport. Lucky for us that there was a terrible storm the night before and the inbound flight was late arriving so the pilots had to leave late that morning. :whew: If I had made just 5 minutes of time, I would have known this by looking up our flights before we left. Everyone was ill by the time we finally got to sit and grab a cup of coffee at the airport, but by the time we got to MCO no one cared anymore.

Not2Loud
05-14-2007, 10:58 AM
In January of 2006, we were due to go down with the in-laws and have some of DW's family meet us there. I am self-employed, so at various times, things get tight (I have learned to keep a sock full of change for those days now :) ).

We decided to go since airfare, accomdations, park admission, and rental car were already paid for. Mind you, at this point my father-in-law was unemployed as well (partially by choice though).

The second day there, a former client who still owed me, paid up! We had plenty to take care of everything else and ended up having a great time.

But I am one of those people that thinks when at Disney, enjoy it to its fullest. I know some would disagree with me, but its they way I function. I am frugal in many other ways, but when it comes to Disney, lets live!

I think I am that way because it is truly great to escape for those few days from the harsh realities of day to to day life. Don't get me wrong, I lead a pretty good life. But when at Disney, I am reminded of how much fun life can be and it continually restores my faith that my fellow humans aren't as bad as it seems they are on the news.

Enough of my soap box...long live the Disney Vacation!!!:balloon:

Red Randal
05-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Last year we considered canceling because we were set to leave only days after the liquid terror plot broke out and all of the new regulations were issued. Then we decided not to let it ruin our fun and just ditched the carry-on's.

I'm supposed to leave on Thursday...let's hope I don't have anything to add to this post before then. ;)

crazypoohbear
05-19-2007, 09:19 AM
We had an uncle die not too long before one of our trips. But he timed it right so it didn't throw off our plans. I know that sounds cold, but he wasn't always a very nice person.

He could have died the day of my trip in front of me and I would have still gone and had a great time.
"not a very nice person" translates to a mean vindictive violent abusive drunk, and his "widow" is worse!