PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic! seats

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-04-2007, 11:03 PM
So with the Fantasmic Dining Package that we have, the seats are apparently WAY to the right.

Whats your opinion...do you take advantage of these seats, or go more to the centre where the view may be better?

Why does Disney make the reserved seating on the side? You'd think it would be a good spot, but I just can't see it being that way.

Chris :hatter:

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Oops...put this one in the wrong forum - sorry mods!:blush:

rsumrall
05-04-2007, 11:16 PM
The seats are not bad at all for the Fantasmic Package. In fact, if you get there 30-45 minutes early, you can be to the left of the reserved seats. While it is still on the right, there really aren't any "bad" seats in the area. Me personally, I would rather sit to the right than wait an hour and a half!

KylesMom
05-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Seven years ago, we stood in an outrageous line with our then 27-month old son to get into the amphitheatre to view Fantastmic!. It was hot, uncomfortable and we vowed we'd never wait 90+ minutes again, even though the show really was fantastic. This was in May of 2000.

When the Dinner Package came out the next year (or when we became aware of it), we decided we'd spend the extra money to forego the crowds and eat a decent dinner prior to seeing the show. Although the seats were to the right of the amphitheatre, it was a relief to know that we didn't have to line up so early to see the show. The seats, in our opinion, were just as good as the 1 1/2 hour "wait" seats. We had the water screens in front of us, and a nice side view of the action on the cliffs. I don't believe that "stage left" has any different view than "stage right".

As the years have progressed, we appreciate the Dinner Package more and more. The folks at Mama Melrose remember us from year to year, and ensure that we have a pleasant dining experience prior to the show. We arrive approximately 30 minutes prior to show time, and as long as we're not sitting at the very far right of the amphitheatre near the "woods", the seats are wonderful. And, as we've watched over the years, we're comfortable in our seats with a bit of elbow room while they utilize every available inch in the middle to
squish folks in. I know that a few CMs here on Intercot have said that the package is a waste of money, but we find the seats great, the dinner fabulous and the experience just a whole lot more "Fantasmic". Would we pick the "middle seats" again? Nope!:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
05-05-2007, 06:40 AM
You could actually wait in line for an hour plus and wind up sitting way to the left! (Or just next to the reserved seats!)

The only way to ensure "center" is to get into line way early (depending on when you're down there). We just won't do it.

If we don't have the Fantasmic! dinner package, we go to the later show and sit wherever we can (this has worked out well for us). We refuse to wait in line for such a long period of time.

mmouse566
05-05-2007, 07:49 AM
To ensure the "perfect seats" (Middle Mickey section towards the middle front) you do have to plan and you do have to go anywhere from 90-30 minutes early pending the day and time of year. 2 things. One, the wait does not have to be unenjoyable. We actually enjoy getting off our feet and bopping to the music they play. They have food and drinks so we always take advantage and eat a late dinner or snack while we wait. You can also carry food in so if you prefer the turkey leg or something else they don't sell in the theater plan ahead and take it with you. We review our pics we took from the day (if you have a digital camera), play games (I spy) etc... Also, as we enter into ther busy months there is often 2 showings which will help disperse the crowds and the wait time is reduced. If you only get to see the show once a year, once in a lifetime or not often (actually we see it monthly and still go through the routine:mickey: ) it is worth going for the better seat and truly seeing it from the perspective it was meant to be seen from, IMHO.

kakn7294
05-05-2007, 10:41 AM
We're trying the dinner package this year for the first time. We've waited in line in the past - as long as an hour before - and still had "bad" seats. In fact, last time, we were only about 5 or 6 rows from the top and to the far left facing the stage - you could hardly tell who the characters on the floats were from so far away! I can't see how the dinner package seats could be any worse than that and we have to eat anyway. I'm looking forward to the experience and my time can be better spent elsewhere.

wendy*darling
05-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Oops...put this one in the wrong forum - sorry mods!:blush:

No, problem... everyone hang on to your forks and knives :eat: , we're heading over to Dining.

I also wanted to add that I have never thought the reserved seats were bad at all. The ampitheater is almost a half circle. As I recall, the reserved section is, facing the stage, from slightly right of center stage to far right.
The unreserved section goes from center stage to all the way far left.
So you have a very good chance to being way left if you wait on line for 90 minutes.
If I'm going to be off the the side of a bowl theater (which still isn't bad) I'd rather sit there after a nice dinner and a 20 minte wait, than a hot dog standing on line for 90 minutes. But, that's me.

SBETigg
05-05-2007, 03:24 PM
I really never understand why anyone has a problem with the dinner package seats. I think they're great seats. We never have a problem with views and it's easier in and out than the central aisle. The rush to get out post-show is always so aggravating that I'm glad to have any advantage in beating the crowd.

dizneeat
05-05-2007, 05:18 PM
We always do the Fantasmic dining package and find the seats to be A-okay!! Even if you squeeze in late, like we always do, you get a seat with a good view and are first in line when it is time to exit the park after the show has ended.
I am really looking forward to my Mama Melrose dinner this year!

Jared
05-05-2007, 05:23 PM
The reserved seats are fine, especially the ones toward the left of the section.

My family always tries to see the second performance on a given night. If that is not possible, or there is only one show, the Fantasmic! Dinner Package is the next best option.

prttynpnk
05-06-2007, 07:23 AM
The seats are not bad at all for the Fantasmic Package. In fact, if you get there 30-45 minutes early, you can be to the left of the reserved seats. While it is still on the right, there really aren't any "bad" seats in the area. Me personally, I would rather sit to the right than wait an hour and a half!

We think they're worth it- I don't want to have to get there so early and hang around waiting.

Natazu
05-06-2007, 07:47 AM
I don't think the dinner package is that great. The seating is sub-par and you still have to show up at the theatre like 45 minutes early anyway, plus eat dinner before dark thereby missing premium park time.

Pirate Sadie
05-06-2007, 06:04 PM
We've been to Fantasmic twice, once we sat for 90 minutes and had just OK seats and it was hot, no breeze, I have to say we were pretty miserable along with most of the people around us. The second time we decided to get there about 15 minutes before and ended up standing. Needless to say we are getting the dinner package. The seats look like they would be OK, couldn't be worse than what we had before, and you know you have a place to sit. Although we weren't that comfortable either time, the show was really great. Can't wait to see it again!!

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
05-06-2007, 07:22 PM
In 2003 my (now)wife and I found out about the dining options here on Intercot and decided to try H&V. We picked h&v b/c it was thought to be the cheapest (or at least bang/buck) and being a buffet (our favorite WDW cuisine) we'd like the food choices. We had no expectations as it was our second trip to MGM together (and my 2nd trip ever) ... we kinda missed out on Fantasmic the previous time.

Can't recall if it was Feb 2003 or Nov 2003 (well, they made a great room discount offer so we had to go back!! :mickey:) but we enjoyed it. Maybe we didn't need to worry about waiting a long time for regular seats either of those times of year... but the idea of no hassle seating sounded good to us.

In January 2006 we went for our wedding (& honeymoon) trip. My aunt and uncle flew in that day and met us in MGM. We had reservations for 9:30 Hoop Dee Doo so we just walked in to Fantasmic. Can't recall how close to show time we got there, but I think it was at best 10-20 minutes. Even for mid January (and a Sunday night) it was crowded. Ok, we couldn't all sit together and it was in the last row or two ... that kinda crowded.

So for the Oct trip ahead, we're doing tha package! :thumbsup: We ate at Alfredo's on that last trip and since they are "closing" (or now as I hear will be in transition ... who knows what to expect) we will give Mama Melrose a try at MGM for the package. :mickey:

Oh, anyhow, the view from the center (albeit in the back rows) in 2006 didn't seem much better than the right side when we used the package in 2003. Conclusion: package!! :thumbsup::mickey:

DANAM
05-07-2007, 06:59 PM
We always do the Fantasmic dining package and find the seats to be A-okay!! Even if you squeeze in late, like we always do, you get a seat with a good view and are first in line when it is time to exit the park after the show has ended.
I am really looking forward to my Mama Melrose dinner this year!

I agree! :minnie:
With two little one's that don't ever sit still we sneak in about 15 min. before the show and are the first to leave when it is over. Last time we sat 2 rows from the top and somewhat in the middle of the section. No complaints and we saw everything and I am somewhat near sighted but never wear my glasses. I will add that this was in April, I would not suggest sneaking in 15 min before show time in July but I have never done it so you could be okay. Worst case you would have to stand in the back. Go with the package.
But book very earlier. We are going Sept 17 and I had to call 4 time to just get something for a Fantasmic package. All sold out the first 3 times. Called sunday and all 3 had availability but from 3pm-4pm only. I took Mama Melrose @ 4pm. It's better than a 90 min wait for Fantasmic.

Pirate Sadie
05-07-2007, 10:35 PM
As I'm reading these posts, I'm wondering how far in advance you can book? Also which restaurants do the package? If anyone could give some feed back that would be great. Any recomendations, I've only eaten at The Brown Derby and didn't think it was worth the price. We also have some first time Disney people coming, so would like something special.

wendy*darling
05-07-2007, 10:45 PM
As I'm reading these posts, I'm wondering how far in advance you can book? Also which restaurants do the package?

You can book the Fantasmic Dinner Package (and most any table service restuarants) at 180 days prior to your trip. If you are staying in a Disney Resort, you can book up to 180 days from the day of your arrival day for up to 10 days of vacation.
If you are staying off property, you can call 180 days in advance of each dining date.

The current Fantasmic Dinner Package (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/fantasmic.asp)restaurants are:
Hollywood & Vine
Mama Melrose's
Hollywood Brown Derby

Personally, I like H&V (a buffet) the best, but there are widely varying opinions here. Do a search for Fantasmic Dinner Package on INTERCOT and you will find many, many threads on this same topic! LOTS of opinions!

Cinderelley
05-11-2007, 05:17 PM
No, problem... everyone hang on to your forks and knives :eat: , we're heading over to Dining.

Um, I left my spoon behind. Can we go back and get it? :D

DakotaDisney
05-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I think the Fantasmic Dinner is worth it. I thought the seats were good.
I think that they are better than a long wait for a center seat.
I was on the dinning plan, so the package didn't cost me anymore. I don't know how much it would cost otherwise.
I was there about 30 minutes before the show started and I could sit anywhere in the reserved section I wanted. I was able to sit near the front on the left hand side of the reserved section. I thought it was a good seat.