PDA

View Full Version : August Heat and Crowds

Lucyrella
05-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Was wondering what the heat and crowds were like in August. We are arriving August 26th and staying through September 1st. Our Lucyrella turns 4 on the 26th and this is why we are going this week. I am looking at the EMH and we bought tickets for the Princess/Pirate party for the evening of the 31st. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

BTW... I love this board!:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
05-04-2007, 09:36 PM
There will be some intense heat and humidity! :thedolls:

You can almost set your watch - as the MK parade ends daily (in the afternoon), the skies will open up and the thundershowers will start. But alas, they usually don't last too long.

We'll be down at the same time as you.
It's hot and humid and it rains... but you are in Disney!!! And it's doable and bearable as long as you go in knowing what to expect! :mickey:

DisneyGiant
05-05-2007, 02:35 AM
Yup, its hot. And you will sweat.

Drink lots and lots of water. And cut through stores (that are air conditioned) on your way to attractions!!!

We found that if we went at park opening, then took a break - either lunch or back to the resort for swimming - or just plain air in the room - it worked for us. Heat was manageable and tolerable.

It was a nice trade off from the Easter crowds we were used to.

And a bonus - being able to swim between 9-11 pm - I have to be HOT to go swimming! So it was a nice refresher at the end of the day - and it instantly put the kids to sleep after their showers.

Enjoy your trip!!!!!

merlinmagic4
05-05-2007, 06:54 AM
I am actually looking forward to my next August trip, which won't be until 2009. We just went during our April school break and it was a lot busier than I remember from the last trip in August. We are going April again next year but an August trip will follow that in 2009.

It is hot but waits will not be long so you will move from one air conditioned ride/show to another. The parade was the only time I was uncomfortable so try to find shade if you really want to see it!

Have a great birthday trip:party:

nickcapp
05-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Crowds at this time are usually low-moderate, however, it is now smack in the middle of free dining so that may have an effect.

As far as the heat, take it slow, go out when the sun isn't at its hottest and get some pool time in the afternoon to cool yourself down.

Mousehead35
05-05-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm heading to the world this August and I'm not concerned about the crowds. I've been there during this time before and have found it managable. The heat is another story.. it's August and it's FL so expect to sweat. LOL Just bring plenty of sunscreen and keep yourselves hydrated and you'll be just fine.

Have a great trip!

Lauretta
05-05-2007, 10:54 AM
We've been there in August and IT'S HOT AND HUMID!!!
We drink lots of water...stay away from caffein if you can. Bring those liitle flavor packets if you get sick of plain water. Or buy juice, frozen pops and ices. Get into the AC as often as possible. You will be having so uch fun...the heat won't bother you as much as you think it might!!:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
05-05-2007, 04:22 PM
We were there last August and I hated it!!!! It was way to hot for me. I hate the heat, I like the cold. We only went to do Millionaire a few last times:(

Niecyboo
05-05-2007, 09:53 PM
We were there last August, and here were some things that helped us.

We brought some of those neck wraps that you soak in cold water and wrap around your neck.
My favorite thing was a simple mister-fan. It kept you cool without feeling wet. Each person also had a mini-fan.

If I did it again, I'd buy each person at least TWO ponchos. We each had one from the dollar store, and between needing them daily and the humidity and heat, they NEVER DRIED. By the end of the week, they were disgusting.

The crowds seemed just fine, though.

Lucyrella
05-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Thank you all so much for the info. If it were up to me we would have gone in May like last year right before Memorial Day, even then it was hot, but the crowds weren't that bad. We will do the early morning EMH's and then we bought the Pirate/Princess Party for Friday the 31st. I think the girls will have fun regardless. Our Lucyrella will be dining with Cinderella and company at the Grand Floridian on the 26th and that is the main thing we need to do, since she turns 4 that day.:cloud9:

indytraveler
05-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm a summer visitor. If I had my choice we would go in August instead of July every year. Something about starting school in mid August as to not go then. We went about 7 years ago and had a wonderful time. Only time we were uncomfortable was standing in the Dumbo line at about 2:30 - 3:15. Nothing like feeling hopeless in Fantasyland in mid afternoon. Do like others have said and drink water. I'd say the crowds will be OK. Hope you have fun that week.

Niecyboo
05-06-2007, 10:39 PM
One more bit of advice, since you're doing Cinderella. Don't let your daughter spend the whole day in a princess dress. Those little girls looked so hot, and we actually saw one pass out from the heat. Those things are so long and the material just doesn't breathe.

CandleontheWater
05-06-2007, 11:26 PM
I live in FL and I have to say that August can be brutal. Disney does try thier best to make it bareable, however. There are many covered lines with overhead fans and also plenty of rides with indoor A/C queues. If you're not used to the heat I would definately take it easy and take plenty of breaks. The best part about Florida in the summer is the warm nights, hands down, so if you can do most of your touring in the early morning or late evening, you should have a really pleasant trip.

lyle21
05-07-2007, 09:00 AM
i went the last week of august 2005. it was very hot and crowded. way tooooo hot.

the best times we had were at the hotel. the WL was the perfect respite from the intolerable florida sun. the evening EMH were a godsend.

take it easy, bring sunblock, wear long loose fitting light colored clothing, drink lots of water and gatorade, and take afternoon naps or swims.

ditto the princess dress comment. they look miserably hot.

i hate the heat more than anyone else on earth and yet i still had a great time w/ my son. 4 is a great age to go.

Rosanne
05-07-2007, 01:12 PM
When is the free dining from? Who is eligible?

Lucyrella
05-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Well, good advice from everyone, we only intend to go in the mornings and late afternoons/evenings. We will have our car so we can come and go as we please. I like the fan mister idea, and they will be in clothes that are appropriate, so they can play in the water, and be comfortable. I will have a change of clothes with me if they need it. Our Cinderella dinner on the 26th her birthday she will be in a birthday dress and not a costume, we are doing this at the Grand Floridian, and then on the 27th she is eating at the castle and we will do what we did last year and bring her costume with us. We have tickets to the Princess/Pirate party for Friday night and if she wants to wear her costume we will let her but have something with us that she can change into. My 2 girls tolerate heat pretty well, both are from China and you haven't experienced heat and humidity until you have been there in July. Whew Wee! So I think we will be good to go. Our next trip will be for the youngest birthday in October, and I am sure that should be a little better weather wise.

Thanks All!