PDA

View Full Version : "Disneyland is too far" China copyright Infringement of Disney

JPL
05-03-2007, 10:09 PM
The link is to article about a state owned park in China that is cheap copy of Disney.

Thought you might find it interesting
Fakes a real fact of life in China's heated economy (http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=20&art_id=41990&sid=13078355&con_type=1&d_str=20070411)

DisneyNut2005
05-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I wonder if Disney will file a lawsuit against them...

gueli
05-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Does disney have the sole exclusive rights to the "cinderella" Name ?
I am not trying to disparage disney, and I understand that they would own the rights to their version of cinderella (& images), Snow white, etc. But weren't these childrens stories that have been passed down 'through generations' ?
Often I have seen the non-disney version the classic tales (My DD is 5 & loves the library) and find they can often add new twists on the stories.
Looking at the pics of the park, I would think that disney would have an awfuly good case in a lawsuit...but the question is would they be able to stop anything in china ???
:mickey:

BrerSchultzy
05-04-2007, 11:39 AM
"It's part of living in China," Canadian businessman Brian Dugood says while browsing fake Armani jackets at the Yashow Clothing Market, one of several multi-story bazaars in Beijing where counterfeit brands are allowed to be sold openly by pushy merchants to Chinese and foreigners alike. "Why buy the original when you can get a pretty good copy at one-tenth the price?"

And that is exactly why China's economy is BOOMING right now. There are so few laws regarding Intellectual Property (and even fewer that are enforced), that there is NO reason to try and export goods to China.

Goods cost what they cost for a reason...the people who make them, sell then and promote them all need to feed their families. If this kind of thing were to be allowed here, we would see a depression the likes of which are incalculable.

Sure, Disney could sue...but the Chinese government would simply write a law allowing this park to continue, or write a law saying the company is guilty, but doesn't have to pay anything. Heck...technically, with Disney opening these parks in china, they might face the same thing the oil companies are facing in Venezuela. It just really seems like a bad idea to be partnering with them right now.

Just my .02

DisneyOtaku
05-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Does disney have the sole exclusive rights to the "cinderella" Name ?
I am not trying to disparage disney, and I understand that they would own the rights to their version of cinderella (& images), Snow white, etc. But weren't these childrens stories that have been passed down 'through generations' ?
Often I have seen the non-disney version the classic tales (My DD is 5 & loves the library) and find they can often add new twists on the stories.
Looking at the pics of the park, I would think that disney would have an awfuly good case in a lawsuit...but the question is would they be able to stop anything in china ???
:mickey:

While I don't think they have executive rights over the original stories, the designs Disney made for the characters DO belong to Disney. Looking at that picture in the article, there's NO denying that the Snow White in the China park was taken from Disney's character.

Plus I don't think the park's motto really helps any -_-

2Epcot
05-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Unfortunately this is how things are in China. Many people there don't care to have the real thing, as long as it looks like it, and it cost less. When we were in China we visted several stores, even a whole mall of mini shops, selling fakes of just about everything. I'm sure you could walk down some streets in China now, and buy Spider-man 3 right now on DVD. This park marketing that Disney is too far, will probably bring in a lot of people. Since Disney characters are still new to many Chinese, they don't really know the difference between a real Disney park, and the counterfeit one. It is kind of sad that people will go there, and think the real Hong Kong Disneyland is no big deal.

PirateLover
05-06-2007, 11:45 AM
JPL, I sent you a link that has even more pictures. I'm not sure that the link is appropriate because there are a lot of comments and outside links and you can't verify all that content, but I thought maybe you could embed some pictures? If not people can just search for Shijingshan Amusement Park.

The one that made me laugh out loud was the blatant copy of Minnie Mouse... they say she isn't a mouse but a cat with large ears. :funny: They have copy cat Donalds, Tiggers, even Shrek! Funny stuff

DizneyFreak2002
05-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Don't forget Hello Kitty is also infringed.... But good luck suing China... They are the copyright infringement capital of the world and they allow it... So, if I were Disney, I would tell them, no more parks until this sham is closed or they can shove it....

JPL
05-06-2007, 12:58 PM
I think this picture says it all

Dracula766
05-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Here are a few more photos.

Funny stuff :rotfl: :rotfl:

snow white? (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c303/dracula766/SW7.jpg)

not quite splash (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c303/dracula766/sprash.jpg)

that reminds me of something (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c303/dracula766/SE.jpg)

somebody sue these people (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c303/dracula766/castle.jpg)

TheRustyScupper
05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
1) First, many of these (if not all) are public domain.
2) Second, I don't think Disney cares.
3) If they did, they would stop future China parks.
4) But, the dollar is more important.
5) Thus, they are working with China on two more parks.

Pop Centurion
05-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Wow! Blatant copies. But just like counterfeit Air Jordan's, it doesn't compare to the REAL thing.

MickeyandTink
05-08-2007, 12:16 PM
1) First, many of these (if not all) are public domain.

Actually, most of these are not in the public domain. Mickey, Minnie, Donald, etc. were created by Disney and are still very much under their control. Some of the characters (Snow White, Cinderella, etc.) are based on traditional stories and thus the characters themselves may be public domain. However, the costuming, housing, supporting casts, etc. as imagined and created by Disney are their Intellectual Property.

2) Second, I don't think Disney cares.
I can assure you Disney, as well as many other U.S. companies do care. Why else would you see lawsuits by Microsoft and others alleging theft of IP? Why else would you have laws prohibiting the sale of counterfeit merchandise?

3) If they did, they would stop future China parks.
4) But, the dollar is more important.
I will agree the dollar rules. That's why so much of the "legitimate" merchandise is made in China. However, for Disney and many other companies it is also extremely important to maintain control and knock out the counterfeiters so as to maintain the quality of the product. Part of the "Disney Magic" is the quality of the appearance and presentation. When that gets watered down by knock off merchadise and parks, it reduces the allure of the real thing. Ultimately, that reduces the bottom line.

January-2007
05-08-2007, 03:33 PM
That makes me sick. :sick:

PirateLover
05-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Now Hamas is using a Mickey Mouse clone to spread propaganda. I'm not gonna post the article because I don't know if it would be considered political, but it reminded me of this situation. I definitely think Disney needs to do something about that one...

Figment!
05-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Fake Disney park faces closure

May 10, 2007
Metro UK

Disney bosses are in crisis talks with the owners of a 'fake' Chinese version of the famous amusement park.

The Shijingshan Amusement Park included a raven-haired woman with seven men in elf suits, a 'Mickey' mouse and other Disney-style characters.

Deputy general manager, Yin Zhiqiang, said: "The characters in our park just look a little bit similar to theirs. But the faces, clothes, sizes and appearances are different."

"We do not have any agreements with Disney."

Despite the striking similarities to foreign characters, Yin insisted the Beijing park's are all locally designed.

"Take our Cinderella as an example. The face of Disney's Cinderella face is European, but ours is a Chinese. She looks like a young Chinese country girl," he said.

At the center of the park is a building labeled "Cinderella's Castle" on park maps. It bears a striking resemblance to the original at Disneyland in California.

The copy has led to strained ties with the United States, whose trade deficit with China soared to US$232.5 billion last year.

Over the weeklong May Day holiday, the Shijingshan Amusement Park filled its grounds on Beijing's western suburbs with actors in costumes that resembled Disney and other foreign characters.

Disney is too far, so please come to Shijingshan

A video shot by Japan's Fuji TV showed children cavorting with Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Pluto, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and Japan's Hello Kitty and Doraemon.

A banner over the entrance said, "Disney is too far, so please come to Shijingshan."

The banner has now been taken down and none of the cartoon characters were on display, as crisis talks with Disney continue.

An employee who would give only her surname, Li, said the performances usually occur during the summer and holidays.

Lawyers for the park and the Walt Disney Co. were in negotiations, said Yin, the deputy general manager of the park, which is owned by the government of Beijing's Shijingshan District.

"The results will come out in a couple of days," he said.

A Disney spokeswoman, Alannah Goss, declined to comment on the Shijingshan park but sent a statement affirming Disney's determination to fight copying.

"Disney values and protects its intellectual property vigorously and takes reports of suspected infringement very seriously," the statement said.

In a mixup of cartoon images, the castle ticket booth is built to look like Snow White, while a nearby statue of a woman with seven dwarves is the golden-haired Sleeping Beauty.

Two workmen with sledgehammers could be seen tearing down the Sleeping Beauty statue. But Yin, refused to say why.

JPL
05-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Glad to see the Mouse is fighting this one :thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
05-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Glad to see the Mouse is fighting this one :thumbsup:

1) How about that!
2) I retract my thoughts above.
3) I never thought they'd risk future China parks.
4) It's nice to see.