PDA

View Full Version : WDW Rated & Reviewed - Tomorrowland Transit Authority

Red Randal
05-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Tomorrowland Transit Authority

Intro: The TTA opened in 1975 as the WEDway People Mover, a demonstration of the new ride system that Imagineering had developed, originally for EPCOT. The idea was that large cities would replace their subways with this new type of urban transit that runs on magnets and is much cleaner to operate than normal trains. What ended up happening was roller coaster designers realized they could propel trains really really fast using magnets and America’s cities kept operating dirty mass transit systems. Oh well, live and learn.

Queue: There’s not really a “queue” per se at the TTA, both because there is never anybody waiting in line to board and because Disney anticipated this and, therefore, didn’t really build one, opting instead for what can best be described as a flat bottomed escalator leading up to the elevated moving platform on which you board the people mover cars for the ride.

Ride: There are two seats per car, facing each other, with enough total room in the cab to fit four people. Since the ride is hardly ever full, it’s a great opportunity to sprawl, relax, and enjoy the breeze. There is a story and a theme to the ride, which makes it all the more enjoyable, but if you don’t care to pay attention to such things you can just sit back and enjoy the scenic ten minute trip around Tomorrowland. But, since you fine folks read these reviews for a little more substance than “enjoy the breeze for 10 minutes,” I’ll elaborate on said story and theme.

One of the reasons I love Tomorrowland is because it is the only section of the Magic Kingdom where Disney has actually come up with one elaborate story to connect all of the rides to the land itself. The TTA is where you get the background of this story. If you want to get the most out of Tomorrowland, pay attention to the narration on this ride and then notice the subtleties all around the land that play upon it.

The TTA is the “skyway” transportation system for the metropolis of “Tomorrowland,” essentially a space trading outpost. A recorded voice narrates the tour of the city. The tour begins at the Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center, where a company called X-S Tech is providing a demonstration of a new teleportation device. I’m sure nothing will go horribly wrong.

The train moves past the main entrance to Tomorrowland, spinning to the right of forward progress to offer a really nice elevated view of Cinderella Castle (even more amazing if you can hop aboard at night, and super duper amazing if you ride during Wishes, sometimes repeat rides of the kind are made available by generous corporate policy ducking cast members who let people stay on because, really, nobody else is racing up the flat bottomed escalator anyway.)

Next we move inside of the building that houses the colossal gift shop “Mickey’s Star Traders.” If I had a dollar for every tacky souvenir I bought in there on an impulse...hmm, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever actually bought anything in there. We pass by a model of a futuristic city, actually a model for Walt Disney’s original vision of EPCOT. It’s a very nice piece of Disney history that is rightfully on display for all to see. Next we pass by a window overlooking the gift shop, so you can begin planning your post-ride purchases now.

We head back outside and over the loud and annoyingly anachronistic “Tomorrowland Indy Speedway.” If they don’t want to ditch the concept completely, they could at least replace the goofy “Indy” cars on rails with go-carts or something. I suppose that’s better left for the “Tomorrowland Indy Speedway” review. Nah, that’s not going to happen. We move past the Speedway and down a long boring straightaway towards the giant arcade that I’ve never been into and should probably be replaced with something useful.

Finally, we make it to Space Mountain. Whooo! Wait until I actually write a full Space Mountain review, the Ric Flair references are really going to fly. Space Mountain, it is revealed, is actually a transit point for cargo. Makes perfect sense to me, especially since FedEx used to sponsor it. Though, they also mention that space travel is "an adventure." So, maybe the adventure is traveling like cargo. I love when ride backstories change at the whim of corporate sponsors, like baseball stadium names. The TTA actually moves through a significant portion of the ride, offering views of the main lift, the queue, and the boarding platform.

We continue to move through the far side of Tomorrowland, making our way over to the Carousel of Progress, spinning around the ride building, and then into the Buzz Lightyear building for a bizarre Horizon-esque advertisement for robot hair-care and then a glimpse into the Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin ride. We head back outside for another nice view of Cinderella Castle, then we move over the Metropolis Science Center, where a demonstration for a time machine operates seasonally. The narrator doesn’t say it operates seasonally, I added that little tidbit myself. Finally, we head into the middle of Tomorrowland, dubbed “Rocket-tower Plaza” for the purposes of the backstory, where we return to the station and the ride comes to an end.

Thoughts: It’s not going to blow you away with special effects, or music, or in depth story and scenery. What the TTA will do is give riders a nice tour of Tomorrowland featuring entertaining narration providing the back-story of the land and a relaxing respite from a hot day in Florida. Not the greatest ride in the park, but a thoroughly enjoyable one.

Overall Rating: ***

wedway fan
05-03-2007, 09:43 PM
nostalgia almost drove me to rate this 5 stars, but i couldn't justifiably do it, even for my favorite attraction. i'll stand by my 4 stars, though- no better way to get a 10 minute break any time of the day, with great views of the park and a neat storyline to boot. plus, the idea of riding on magnets is so incredibly cool.

Speedy1998
05-03-2007, 09:52 PM
DS' 3rd Favorite ride. #1 was WDW railraod, #2 was the monorail.

SgtTigger
05-03-2007, 09:58 PM
We have to do the Blue Ride.... My Nieces love it.... we do it at least 4 times a trip.....

the last time I was on it It broke and I had to walk off..........

:cop: :tigger:

GrmGrninGost
05-03-2007, 10:07 PM
I love the TTA! Nice, relaxing way to tour tomorrowland and cool off!:mickey:

Jared
05-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Tomorrowland Transit Authority is a great attraction, and this review finally explained why.

I could never explain what I liked about the ride, but now I know. The cool story makes Tomorrowland probably the greatest of all the lands.

Mickey91
05-04-2007, 12:45 AM
I love it!! It is a great way to rest and still do Disney!! I love the announcer guy! I hope WDW doesn't take it out like DL did.

RAIDER
05-04-2007, 03:28 AM
I love it and its a great ride to look over the whole of the park ,i find it very relaxing

BritCody
05-04-2007, 06:30 AM
It is just a nice place to relax and try and refresh before taking on the rest of the MK

darthmacho
05-04-2007, 08:03 AM
nostalgia almost drove me to rate this 5 stars, but i couldn't justifiably do it, even for my favorite attraction. i'll stand by my 4 stars, though- no better way to get a 10 minute break any time of the day, with great views of the park and a neat storyline to boot. plus, the idea of riding on magnets is so incredibly cool.

Well put, I feel the same way, though it is not my favorite attraction. The things that I love best about it are the quick and easy load time, the relaxing pace, the unique views, and the excellent theming. The best part, however, is the narration. It's just too funny! :mickey:

SBETigg
05-04-2007, 08:10 AM
There's really not much to it, but no trip to WDW is complete for us without a few rides on the TTA. I think the beauty of this attraction is in its simplicity and soothing qualities. You need a little TTA downtime between mountain ranges.

4ubie1
05-04-2007, 09:07 AM
I think you gave a fair assessment of this ride. There isn't alot to it. It moves along at a sedate pace and shows you views of several attractions in Tomorrowland. I think the charm of this ride is that you can relax :cloud9: and let yourself unwind. It is a great way to catch your breath before you move on to the next thrill. :D

ChipnDaleGal
05-04-2007, 09:20 AM
It gets 5 stars from me, and two thumbs way, way up! It is one of my very favorites and will always be a very sentimental one for me. My daughter and I have spent a lot of time up there relaxing, people watching, and just enjoying being there with each other. When I think of the TTA, I automatically connect it to all my warm fuzzy feelings I have for all my trips to WDW with her. Love it!! :thumbsup:

c&d
05-04-2007, 10:03 AM
We ride this at least once every time we're at the MK. I love sitting there watching the world go by and peaking in on all the rides. :thumbsup:

January-2007
05-04-2007, 10:03 AM
:mickey: We love the TTA it's number one in our book! 5 stars! :mickey:

biodtl
05-04-2007, 10:11 AM
I love TTA. Part of it is nostalgia, I'm sure - I remember riding it and loving it when I was a kid back in the 70s WEDway days.

It's one of those rides that are hard to explain the appeal of to someone who has never been to WDW. No - it's not exciting or scary or a thrill ride, but it is, without a doubt, very "Disney."

battle beast
05-04-2007, 10:29 AM
I like the TTA becasue it is a chance to sit and, as frankie says, relax for a few minutes and get away from the hustle and bustle of the regular park, if you know what I mean. :thumbsup:

Vinny
05-04-2007, 10:40 AM
I gave it a vote of 3 stars. Although it is not always a 'must do' on our WDW trips, it is a great way to take a break from the crowds in the park with a relaxing ride through parts of it.

MsMin
05-04-2007, 10:43 AM
If I could ride one ride @ disney it wouldn't be that one unless I've been walking in the heat, my feet are swollen or I have blisters-- then it's my #1.
It's a quick R&R ride and not a thrill but it seems like I always look forward to the much needed break. I give it 3 * * *

luvkatiebug
05-04-2007, 10:47 AM
I still call this one the "People Mover", and it reminds me of my first few trips in the 70's when I was little.

Now as a mom with small kids, I just like the no line thing, and relaxing time on it. I guess I'm mostly nostalgic about it. :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Love it!! :thumbsup:

Such a great way to relax and cool down for a few minutes.

poeticeclipse
05-04-2007, 12:32 PM
If I could ride one ride @ disney it wouldn't be that one unless I've been walking in the heat, my feet are swollen or I have blisters-- then it's my #1.
It's a quick R&R ride and not a thrill but it seems like I always look forward to the much needed break. I give it 3 * * *

I'm with you, Beth! I adore this ride and it is a must do... but, it doesn't have everything i'm looking for in a ride. I think that they could do a bit more with what you get to see. It's kind of like the monorail... nostalgia and a nice place to relax. Too bad there aren't TTA's all over the World. How fun would that be?!

KAJUNKING
05-04-2007, 12:35 PM
I love it!! It is a great way to rest and still do Disney!! I love the announcer guy! I hope WDW doesn't take it out like DL did.

:ditto:

Figgyluv03
05-04-2007, 12:40 PM
It's a great ride when you just want to relax and take in the sites.:thumbsup:

lightyearfan
05-04-2007, 01:00 PM
this is a wonderful attraction, we hope that they never remove it. it's a great way to get off your feet for a little while , and at the same time you get to enjoy a nice quiet and peaceful ride around tommorrowland, with beautiful views of the castle.

Victor

Kate In Wonderland
05-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Love this ride! :thumbsup:

indytraveler
05-04-2007, 01:34 PM
It's average. I like going on it to get a rest and hope that they have the lights on in Space Mtn. Good way to spend a few min. while you're waiting for someone.

Red Randal
05-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I hope WDW doesn't take it out like DL did.

I wouldn't worry about that. Disneyland didn't take out it's TTA. The Imagineers came up with two polar opposite ways to refurb their WEDWay People Movers. Disney World gave it a face lift by making it into the TTA. Disneyland turned it into a thrill ride, the Rocket Rods, that used a similar technology to Test Track that works even less. So, rest easy, the TTA's not going anywhere for a long time.

Dopey's Girl
05-04-2007, 04:17 PM
5* from me! This is one of the attractions that I can not leave MK without having ridden at least once. It's so simple and peaceful! I just love, love, love it!

dumbo ears
05-04-2007, 04:23 PM
I voted it as average because that is what it is. its good when crowds are hectic but other than that I don't ride it that much.

autumn
05-04-2007, 05:18 PM
i love the way the tta has stood the test of time, in spite of its simplicity. somehow, it feels confident in itself.

the future/space scenes on this ride rule (lady getting her hair done, etc.) - they remind me of the old horizions scene with the butler and the lady in the bubble bath, with that "future as seen through the eyes of the past" feel.

and, i love that just when i wonder why it's going so slow, it picks up and whirs me away. :cloud9:

denygold
05-04-2007, 07:46 PM
We ride TTA seven- eight times per trip.

pook@wdw
05-05-2007, 05:33 PM
TTA is an all-time fave! I hope they never get rid of it. A great place to cool down and rest and a way for the little ones to go into Space Mountain if they're too small to ride. Not to mention, going thru Buzz and over the speedway. I just wish it would go all over the park ! Hey...maybe if I wish upon a star.......:yes:

disneymom2000
05-05-2007, 05:56 PM
I like to take newcomers on this ride before heading into any of the other rides in Tomorrowland to get the feel of this area. I love it for relaxation as well.

DisneyPrincess01
05-05-2007, 05:59 PM
I really enjoy the TTA because it is so relaxing especially on a hot Florida day. Its a ride that hardly has a line but is still very enjoyable!

Donald A
05-05-2007, 06:00 PM
If you can get over the annoying announcer saying in a bad futuristic voice, "Now approaching......." this is a true gem. I ride it every trip and enjoy the view of Tomorrowland. You get to see a lot of things like inside of Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear with no wait. To me this is a better rest than sitting on a park bench.

DisneyOtaku
05-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Like someone else has already stated in this thread, I too still call it the "People Mover", much to my sister's annoyance who corrects me.

It's a classic ride and it's a great way to beat the heat. I always have to ride it when I'm in Tomorrowland. :thumbsup:

SillyOldBear
05-06-2007, 01:13 AM
We love this ride too! It is very relaxing, and it does get a little speed build up and there are dark parts--not totally void of thrill, but yes, it's all about a break. (sorda why we also love Carousel of Progress--the annoying song helps with the love too).

Maleficent's Dad
05-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Great review - made for fun reading.

My kids LOVE this ride, and we do it several times every trip! :mickey:

SpecJoe Magic
05-06-2007, 09:44 PM
It's not spectacular, but it's a great way to tour Tomorrowland. It's a particularly nice experience on a warm and breezy day. The best part is that there is almost never a wait. So while it doesn't stand out like so many of the more well-known MK attractions, it possesses many qualities that make it one of my favorite attractions at WDW. *****

LudwigVonDrake
05-06-2007, 10:25 PM
The TTA is one of my favorites :mickey:

:tink:

DizNee143
05-07-2007, 03:34 PM
WedWay aka TTA..is my favorite ride...call me lame if you want..but i just love it!!! :mickey:

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
05-08-2007, 11:08 PM
This is one of the rides I remember from the childhood trips in the 70's. Before I went back after nearly 20 years, I recall wondering where the "People Mover" went to and was worried that I could not find it in a guidebook my (now) wife [who planned the trip] had. Still the P.M. to me.

I too used it as the only way to get a peek at Space Mtn since I was probably too little to ride it. I don't recall anything else in Tomorrowland. Sure, I remember Dumbo, HM, 20K Leagues, Peter Pan, Small World, Country Bears, and the Tea Cups ... but I remember the People Mover the best.

pianobabe
05-08-2007, 11:47 PM
In my family, we all love the TTA. It is a several-times-a-trip must do. Of all the times I have ridden this, it wasn't until last year that I got to go in Space Mountain when the lights were on. Now, THAT was cool!!:thumbsup:

WDWfeelslikehome
05-09-2007, 06:05 AM
It's a must for us at least once a trip. It's almost as if you are riding with Walt.:mickey: