PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are smarter than a fifth grader?

Kate In Wonderland
05-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Hello fellow intercotees, I'm watching "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader" right now, and I'm feeling pretty good about myself...I "passed" first grade art and first grade music. Whoohoo! We're now up to second grade grammar. Let's see how I do...
Do any of you watch this show?

Kate In Wonderland
05-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Well I am officially NOT smarter than a fifth grader! I got stuck on the fourth grade science question (which was one of my best subjects in school!). Oh well!

indytraveler
05-04-2007, 01:26 PM
I've seen the show twice. Each time I would have done well. You can't be too much smarter than a 5th grader then you wouldn't be on the show. I guess the pressure of the cameras, lights audience could make you forget some things... But those kids are GREAT. They picked them well.

Marker
05-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I watch it, but I don't know why.

I swear, the audition process for this show must require you to be someone less than the brightest bulb.

And why, while they have the help available, do they start at the bottom. Why not start at the 5 grade questions while your help is still there and save the "easier" questions for later.

And, I can't imagine that ANYONE will ever win $1,000,000 on this show. I don't care how "smart" you are, gambling $500,000, double or nothing, on an unknown question would just dumb in my opinion.

jkj1224
05-04-2007, 10:33 PM
I've seen it a couple of times and I can never decide what's more embarassing for the people on the show, the fact that they can't answer easy questions, or the fact that the questions they can't answer can be answered by a 10 year old...but you wouldn't catch me on there

sunlyon
05-05-2007, 06:42 AM
Remember that a lot of these questions (especially 4th and 5th grade) you probably haven't thought of in years and unless you have a brain that retains lots of trivia (like mine) you probably don't remember it. So it's not that you aren't, it's that you just plain can't remember that fact. Many people think I'm really smart but I believe it is just a good memory and a lot of reading. I will read anything. If I am bored at the doctor's office and don't like their magazine selection I will read the medical pamphlets!

I love the kids, they are great. We love to see Alanna's reactions. She is so impatient when they contestant is slow.

I also agree about the order. If they don't care what order you go in... start with 5th grade and work your way down to 1st! You have help from the kids for the harder ones. Then when you reach 1st grade art and get the question "What color do you get when you mix yellow and red", the half million would be yours! But that's why they are "not smarter than a 5th grader"!

Kate In Wonderland
05-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Remember that a lot of these questions (especially 4th and 5th grade) you probably haven't thought of in years and unless you have a brain that retains lots of trivia (like mine) you probably don't remember it.
Yes, that's it exactly. Some of these questions, I'm like "I know this is somewhere in my brain"! Haha!

It really is painful to watch though. When I watched it the other night, the guy on there had trouble with the first grade art question - it was something like "other than green and purple, what is the other secondary color" or something like that). And the guy got it wrong!!! He said yellow and it's orange! Now, granted, I had to think about it for a second because it's been a while since I've thought about secondary colors, but I got it.

I'm sure the pressure of all the cameras and the crowd probably doesn't help with concentrating, but still!

In the long run, this guy was smart because he was up to $175,000 and he WALKED AWAY. He didn't keep going and risk losing it. I can't stand these people that risk all of their money (like you said :mickey: Marker:mickey: , betting double or nothing on an unknown question is just dumb) especially when they aren't doing well. I mean it's great if you win a million dollars, but I'd be pretty flippin' happy with $500,000 thank you very much!

And the woman that was on after him, GOOD LORD...I had to turn away from the screen because I kept cringing, she was NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer. She seemed very sweet, so I felt really bad for her because she just didn't know ANY of the questions.

I agree with all of you though - why don't they start at the 5th grade questions? Maybe they figure that they are less likely to remember something they learned in first or second grade because it's been so long, so that's why they start there, so they'll get the help! Haha!

The kids on the show are great though, they really are!

ToraTory
05-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I've been wondering... do you think these are "real" elementary school kids or actors? I'm guessing actors, but then I was wondering are they given the answers ahead of time (like the celebrities on hollywood squares) or do they really think them up themselves. Does anyone know?

LibertyTreeGal
05-08-2007, 06:24 PM
I watched two episodes and I couldn't stand it anymore. The questions are too easy, and I spend all of my time rolling my eyes and putting my head in my hands when people don't know that the star closest to the earth is the SUN!!!

alphamommy
05-11-2007, 12:30 PM
We've been recording it on our DVR and watching it after it's over so we can fast forward through all the fluff-and-nonsense.

My guess is that they filter out the adult contestants for people who know the answers to these kind of questions. I just can't believe that people don't know this stuff! Our first grader does better than most of the adults do, even on the harder questions.

Tammy

luvdiznee
05-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Me and dd9 love watching this show. I felt so bad for that Yale Grad who was on last night, he went for the million dollar question got it wrong and in the end out of the $500,000 that he earned he only took home $25,000 because of missing the million dollar question. They are auditioning in our area for the 07-08 season.

thrillme
05-11-2007, 02:56 PM
I iz a coledge graduwait... I dun alredy knows the answerz but my "senial brain" jus forgots 'em.

I'd take a shot on the show in a "hart beat".:D

I may not be "Smarter than a 5th Grader" but I'd PROUDLY humilate myself into admission for a few thousand $$.