PDA

View Full Version : Teppanyaki - The good & The bad

disneyfan328
05-03-2007, 02:33 PM
My husband and I really want to try this in Epcot with our 3 kids. Can anyone give me feedback. Was it good, was it not so good, and what about for the kids? I know that they will enjoy the show part of the dinner, but what about the food? Is it worth the $$?

disneygirlie11
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
:D I LOVE LOVE LOVE this restaurant!! In fact, I am doing ADR's to eat there twice on my next trip. We actually ate with a couple and then a family of four last time, and the children really loved it. As long as they like rice and either chicken, steak, or seafood then they should like it! You get plenty of vegetables and foods like seaweed, but you can request no vegetables and whatnot as they are cooking right in front of you! You will LOVE it I'm sure! lol

buzznwoodysmom
05-03-2007, 03:36 PM
We ate here in May of last year and loved it. We had a party of 9 consisting of 4 children, ages 3, 4, 5, and 6 and they all loved it. We had a little bit of everything and everyone enjoyed their meal. The kids mostly ate the rice and grilled chicken. The whole experience was wonderful and the food was one of our best meals of the week. I think you will enjoy it. Have fun!!!

biodtl
05-03-2007, 04:26 PM
It's a great place to take the kids - they stay entertained throughout the meal and the food varies from very flavorful to quite plain, depending on their likes and dislikes.

Jeff T
05-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Teppanyaki is one of our family favorite places to dine. My 7 and 3 year old boys love it - wife too! We were looking forward to dining there during our July vacation, but Teppanyaki was recently closed for refurbishment. It's scheduled to re-open sometime in August 2007.

angedeaile
05-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I heard that if you plan it right, you can view Illuminations, during your meal, from the balcony on the second floor.

Although I don't know how...I don't recall seeing a balcony, let alone seeing any tables out there.

Anyone ever do this?

emmatink
05-03-2007, 05:36 PM
We LOVE :thumbsup: this resturant....warning we called to place a reservation for our october trip at this resturant and they told us that we were lucky because it is closed some of the summer for renovation. So check ahead and good luck because it is worth every penny!!

CAS
05-03-2007, 06:06 PM
I can't think of anything bad about our experience. There's a balcony on the building but no tables, only a waiting/viewing space; no dining on the balcony.

If you have a good teppanyaki restaurant in your city then it's no different, but if you don't then it's a real treat! :thumbsup:

Bruegge
05-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Went in 2002, While the food was fine and the sushi was good. I felt we got just as good of teppen at our local place.

Our Cook was the oldest person I've ever seen cook teppan. He had some showmanship but nothing ... great... While I love teppan and the kids love it too I felt it was the least "special" dinner we had all trip.

Scott

Maleficent's Dad
05-03-2007, 09:05 PM
I heard that if you plan it right, you can view Illuminations, during your meal, from the balcony on the second floor.

Although I don't know how...I don't recall seeing a balcony, let alone seeing any tables out there.

Anyone ever do this?
There are NO tables with views of the exterior at the Teppanyaki Restaurant.

You can get 8 (and perhaps 9 or 10 if you include children as we have done) people at ONE table. Within the same "room," you can get another table of 8. They seem to keep 2 tables of 8 in each "room" at the place. This way, you're never far from your friends/family if you have a large group.

On one occasion, we were able to seat 10 at one table - there were 4 young children in the party, so this might have helped! :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
05-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Forgot to mention the restaurant itself.

It's Disney's version of the "Benihana" chain. Very good, but somewhat predictable!

angedeaile
05-04-2007, 12:34 AM
I can't think of anything bad about our experience. There's a balcony on the building but no tables, only a waiting/viewing space; no dining on the balcony....

Ah... I must have read wrong about tables outside. I did think it sounded off abit.

Atleast I got the, you can see the fireworks from there, part right. :blush:

:nono:...

As for that smily...I don't know...it makes me feel like I should go sit in a corner and think about what I said for some reason.

Maleficent's Dad
05-04-2007, 07:46 AM
As for that smily...I don't know...it makes me feel like I should go sit in a corner and think about what I said for some reason.
Sorry! :blush:
I editied it out of my post.

disney100%
05-04-2007, 10:08 AM
My DH and I love Teppanyaki! We have always had great food, including sushi. On one occassion, we had an amazing chef who was very entertaining. On another trip, we may have had the same chef as Bruegge, because he was so old and he didn't really talk at all. No matter the chef though, we have had great meals on every visit.

ThanxForNoticin
05-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Teppanyaki is always high on our list of favorites. Our boys are older now, but they always looked forward to eating there - the food is excellent, and the experiences are great. Something that some folks don't like, but we always did - if you have a family of 5, you will sit with others during the meal. We've met some very nice folks over the years, and we often felt the kids benefitted from the opportunity to meet people from around the country or around the world - even if just for a 90-minute meal. Enjoy.

angedeaile
05-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Sorry! :blush:
I editied it out of my post.
Hehe..thanks! :D

milhouse
05-04-2007, 01:54 PM
My kiddies were seriously bummed that we would miss out on the Japanese Steakhouse during our trip next week. We're doing Coral Reef instead.

disneyfan328
05-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Great -:chef: Thanks for all of the input!! We have our ADR's and my DH and I think we may eat her twice on our trip!! We are really looking forward to it and from what they told me the restaurant should be up and running at the end of August? Our ADR's are in late September so even in they are a little behind schedule I am hoping that it will be open by the time we get there. We are going to go on our first night in WDW. This is truly a Dream come True vacation for our family and hope that all goes well!! Thanks intercotees - You guys are the best.:rocks:

MsMin
05-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Anyone ever do this?

I wouldn't doubt if people do say they are going to see the fireworks while dining there. Several people left their table and went out to the balcony to watch the fireworks- while their food got cold. Not something I would want to do but it's possible.
We had the longest wait for a table there, about 45 min. and they fussed at me for coming early which they tell you to by phone. We didn't have the greatest service experience but the food was good. -- I think we got that same old guy ;) The theatrics at the next table were much better. Our guy didn't talk much.
Of course none of this wouldn't stop me from going back...

A Big Kid
05-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Onw word of caution: Flames!!! The chef will make some fire rise up at the beginning of the meal that can unnerve some younger diners.