PDA

View Full Version : Trees in Main Street Railroad Station

Chescat
05-02-2007, 09:10 PM
I have a question for anybody that can answer it here. We were standing around on Saturday night waiting for the fireworks to go off (and then they canceled them). We were standing at the top of the Main Street train station just before you go in to catch the train. What caught our eye when we were waiting was we saw these two huge trees. One on either side. The trees are now taller than the station. I've seen them forever, but never really thought about it.

DH's question is: This is the 2nd story, how are those trees growing??? I did look and there are some roots in the dirt at the base you can see but not that much. How is a huge tree like this growing out of a second story?? Enquiring minds want to know. :confused:

I'll see if I can find a picture of them or take one next time I go.

Disney Babe
05-07-2007, 12:54 AM
That's too bad about the fireworks being cancelled. Was it windy?

The only thing I know about the trees on Main Street is I think some around Town Square were taken out and more planted in their place. I remember reading that imagineer Tony Baxter had the old ones planted on his property. I am pretty sure that is in the Anaheim Hills.
Sorry I can't answer your question.

Mufasa
05-10-2007, 05:34 AM
That's too bad about the fireworks being cancelled. Was it windy?

The only thing I know about the trees on Main Street is I think some around Town Square were taken out and more planted in their place. I remember reading that imagineer Tony Baxter had the old ones planted on his property. I am pretty sure that is in the Anaheim Hills.
Sorry I can't answer your question.

Yes, the fireworks were cancelled due to high winds that Saturday (although the previous evening's fireworks on Friday, April 27th were particularly outstanding that evening- probably because I believe some Honda representatives were viewing the fireworks that day- perhaps the best show I've seen in recent memory and since they're a key sponsor, the resort went all out with particularly with the hub/perimeter pyrotechnics).

As for the Olive trees- 2 of the 125 year old Olive trees were transplanted to Tony Baxter's home after they were removed in late March 2004 (there were a total of 8 I believe in and around the hub in order to improve the viewing in the central area for the 50th celebration). The rest ended up as mulch.

Now, as for the particular trees on the Main Street railroad station- I just can't quite picture exactly which trees you're referring to from memory, but if you're curious about them- you should be able to stop in at City Hall and you should be able to ask to view a horticulture binder they usually have on hand behind the desk at City Hall that might offer some more details about the particular trees you're wondering about.

If I remember correctly, the binder contains photos and at least some details like the various species of trees planted in and around the resort or if it's not particularly busy at City Hall they might be able to place a call in to one of the resort horticulturists and answer your questions there (on a previous visit I had stopped in to find out if they had ever replaced a tree that was placed over by Snow White's Grotto by some members of WDI in memory of Herb Ryman).

Chescat
05-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Yes, the fireworks were cancelled due to high winds that Saturday (although the previous evening's fireworks on Friday, April 27th were particularly outstanding that evening- probably because I believe some Honda representatives were viewing the fireworks that day- perhaps the best show I've seen in recent memory and since they're a key sponsor, the resort went all out with particularly with the hub/perimeter pyrotechnics).
Thanks for the tree info. Will check it out. Going to get a picture of the trees in question when I go next time.

We were there on that Friday night. We were near Ariel's Grotto, the start of the path from parade route going by the fountains. We had decided we wanted to try and see how Tinkerbell actually came out of the Matterhorn and I wanted to see a better view when the Pirate part of the fireworks went off (one of my favorite parts). (Not a great place to be for the castle part, but served the purpose of what I wanted to see). Once Tinkerbell was out, then we moved over to the Matterhorn area by the bathrooms and got a great view of the overall stuff. That show was better than my previous one. Now I know why. :)

Disney Babe
05-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Mufasa, do you know if the binder in City Hall has before and after pictures of the Hub so I can remember what it used to look like? Too bad the rest of those trees were wasted.

Chescat
06-10-2007, 02:58 AM
Here are two picture of the tree on the right of the Main Street Railroad station 2nd floor (the one of the left side looks the same):

Tree Front Shot (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/chescat/Disneyland/Tree1.jpg)

Tree Close Up Shot (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/chescat/Disneyland/Tree2.jpg)

Blue Genie
06-18-2007, 01:50 AM
Speaking of trees. I don't know if anyone has knowest it. But the tree in front in Main Street when u come in the tunnle from the right side by the bank. Has peoples names carf into that tree. I saw it back in Feb. I think it was when I was watching the parade.