PDA

View Full Version : Pixar's "Ratatouille" Film [Merged Threads]

2Epcot
05-02-2007, 05:24 PM
The film opens on June 29th. I just watched the trailer on the Disney site, it looks good, as I'd expect from Pixar. The site also has a 9 minute preview of the film as well introduced by director Brad Bird (The Incredibles). The first segment is a great sequence from the film, and makes me ready to go see it. Brad then introduces another short scene from the film. :thumbsup:

NotaGeek
05-03-2007, 03:03 AM
I am really excited to see this movie too! I found the Official Disney/Pixar (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/ratatouille/) site and checked out the trailer, it's great!

Here's the poster!

DVC2004
05-04-2007, 08:20 AM
My oldest has been waiting for this since he saw a preview at the movies last summer. Looks good!:thumbsup:

TwinPrincesses
05-05-2007, 02:40 PM
We are excited to see it, too. We live in the Bay Area and my oldest daughter is crazy about animation. She is taking computer animation classes in High School. I have a friend whose husband works for Pixar. I didn't want to be a bother, I am sure people ask him all the time, but for my daughter's 15th birthday I asked if he could give her a "backstage tour" of Pixar and he agreed (in return we are doing some free babysitting for them and giving their kids rides on our horse this summer) We didn't tell her where she was going, and she freaked out when we got there.
It happened to be the day that Pixar finished doing Ratatouille and there was a big party. It was so much fun. We also got a tour of the whole place, which I guess is really rare and saw lots of stuff we can't talk about (they even made us sign a legally binding agreement not to reveal anything about movies in production). Now I am really anxious to see Ratatouille.

SallyP
05-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I just watched the Teaser and the Trailer for this movie....looks like a lot of fun. Pixar 'hits' again. This summer is turning out to be a real movie summer.
I wonder if we will see Remy (Ratatouille:Rat-a-too-ee star Rat :D ) running around at the French Pavilion over at the World Showcase?
I think he'd be a huge success at Bistro de Paris:chef:

Christine
05-15-2007, 06:48 PM
This looks fantastic! We cannot wait!

GenieOfPA
05-15-2007, 06:51 PM
i can't wait to see it either. the summer camp i work at during the summer has already planned a day when they are renting out a whole theater for us to go see a private screening of the film... so excited, and i'm sure my campers will be too!

tyandskyesmom
06-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Yesterday I received an e-mail from a local theatre for four free tickets for a sneek peek at Ratatouille at 7pm tonight!

So on my way home from work (which I had to leave 1 1/2 hours early from) i stopped by the theatre (they did not start honoring the coupon until 2pm) and picked mine up!

So we are getting to see it 16 days early!

The kids are so excited...who am I kidding, so are the adults!

Lizzy
06-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Wow that is really cool! Don't forget to give us your opinion when you get back!

tyandskyesmom
06-14-2007, 10:40 PM
Ok, it was really cute. Very funny! It would be worth the price of admission for sure...don't want to give anythign away but all of us were laughing a lot!

mtown71
06-15-2007, 09:36 AM
I am looking forward to seeing this movie. It looks so cute!

NJDad
06-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Sneak preview tomorrow night. If it was afternoon, we'd be there.

ASweetLov
06-16-2007, 12:02 PM
My sister and I cant wait to see this film,it looks like a funny pixar movie:mickey:

alongfortheride
06-16-2007, 06:27 PM
We've got tickets for the 7:30 show tonight! Can't wait...we've heard nothing but great things about this movie!

snifflesmcg
06-16-2007, 08:19 PM
I know, this is going to sound weird coming from somebody that often visits WDW BUT I'm not really into the "kiddie"movies of today. With that said, I actually can't wait to see this new one. I mentioned this on another thread but how cool would it be if they themed a restaurant after this movie?

BronxTigger
06-16-2007, 08:26 PM
I know, this is going to sound weird coming from somebody that often visits WDW BUT I'm not really into the "kiddie"movies of today. With that said, I actually can't wait to see this new one. I mentioned this on another thread but how cool would it be if they themed a restaurant after this movie?

They did. It's called KFC, and it's located in Greenwich Village in NYC. :secret:

Really though, I would like to see this movie. It looks really cute. The movie's website is neat too. It reminds me of the London scene on the Peter Pan ride.

snifflesmcg
06-16-2007, 08:34 PM
They did. It's called KFC, and it's located in Greenwich Village in NYC. :secret:

:laughing::funny: That's great! I love sarcasm.

Eeyore3138
06-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Just got back!! I thought it was really good. The CGI is incredible. Paris looked beautiful and the character animation was awesome. I laughed a lot, along with the rest of the audience and I love that! Everyone clapped at the end. I will definitely own this movie!

kmo84
06-16-2007, 10:01 PM
I got to see this tonight, too.

Very good movie. It was sweet and funny. I liked it a lot.

Just goes to show it was worth Disney's investment in Pixar for the storytelling talent alone.

This is one I will see again.

Mufasa
06-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Ratatouille should be a great summer film and visually Pixar has done it again- absolutely beautiful the way it is presented with a real warmth and to me almost a hand-drawn quality to how things appear on screen and the shots of Paris immediately made me think of the trips I've taken there (and the details seemed very accurate as far as the location of most of the major city landmarks).

Oh and the food! Great job Pixar of capturing the look of appetizing CG food, without it looking fake like plastic, although that makes you look down at your overpriced bag of popcorn or nachos and wish you could be snacking on something else.

The cinematography is wonderful- composing a lot of interesting shots and angles and there's some fantastic pure animation and character design with Remy because he has find a way to communicate through pantomime with his human partner Linguini, but I will say Patton Oswalt also adds a nice quality to Remy with the voice work.

Speaking of mimes, you can find that typical Pixar trait of inserting nods back to other films, in this case to Brad Bird's other Pixar film "The Incredibles" with a quick cameo from the film (after all, how can you have a film set in Paris without a street mime?)

Of course there's a nice funny Pixar short before the film- the academy award nominated "Lifted" which is the first project directed by Gary Rydstrom (who has won academy awards for his work in sound design/editing on several films). Pretty much guaranteed to get the audience laughing and a great way to set things up for the main feature.

Also, I believe they will be showing a very quick teaser for Pixar's next project (directed by Finding Nemo director/writer Andrew Stanton) called WALL*E before Ratatouille. I am very excited for WALL*E and have been really anticipating this film for a while.

Not2Loud
06-17-2007, 04:42 PM
DW and I saw this last night at the sneak preview. It was a great movie. I really enjoyed it. I think both kids and adults will enjoy it.

ILoveDisney818
06-17-2007, 05:19 PM
I can't wait! I was unable to go to the sneak preview. Was it as good as other Pixar films?

Donald Duck 224
06-17-2007, 05:30 PM
I am really looking forward to seeing this!

Christine
06-17-2007, 06:49 PM
I can't wait! I was unable to go to the sneak preview. Was it as good as other Pixar films?

I went to see it last night at the preview. It was cute, but I don't think it was "Pixar's best" as it is being heralded. Just my opinion.

BronxTigger
06-17-2007, 08:07 PM
I went to a street fair today in NYC (it wasn't planned, and I didn't have my camera :mad:) and Disney had all sorts of stuff set up (among all the knock off Prada bags LOL!)

They had a big set-up for Ratatouille - like a stage almost with a giant Remy in a kitchen. They were handing out free paper chef hats that have an English muffin pizza recipe on the back. They had a guy signing people up for a drawing for a trip to Paris, but we didn't want to give our info. The most bizarre thing had to be the giant cheese slide. It was a giant inflatable cheese wedge that kids could climb up on and then bounce/slide down.

Additionally, they were handing out fans with their Broadway show ads on them. I also snagged a free Mary Poppins on Broadway CD sampler. :thumbsup:

SurferStitch
06-18-2007, 10:00 AM
DH and I saw Ratatouille on Saturday night at the sneak preview, and we loved it. The animation is amazing, and the story is very cute. I love Remy and Emile.

I still prefer Cars, but Pixar did an excellent job with Ratatouille. The opening short, Lifted, was hilarious. I had tears running down my face from laughing so hard.

The theater we were at was near capacity, so they had a great turnout for a low-key sneak preview. Opening weekend should draw big box office numbers. :thumbsup:

thrillme
06-18-2007, 10:59 AM
We went this weekend to see Ratatouille. I expected it to be good and it EXCEEDED my expectations.

Alas I'm left to find a recipe now out of curiosity.

castlegirl
06-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Ratatouille opened nationwide today and DD6 and I went to see it this afternoon.

We thought it was great! Animation was amazing! Remy's fur and whiskers looked so real. It's unbelievable what can be done on a computer! We also loved the animated short in the beginning.

DD6 and I were wondering whether or not France in Epcot would incorporate anything from the movie into the France experience. Has anyone heard anything? However, I don't think I'd want to buy a plush Remy rat.

We give the movie two thumbs up!:thumbsup:

A Foolish Mortal
06-29-2007, 11:33 PM
We saw it today also. I thought it was hilarious! It was great, and it did have some adult humor in it too, so don't be discouraged from seeing it!

I give it :mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

By the Way- I loved the short in the beginning! I wouldn't have minded if that was just the movie. Come to think of it- they should make a movie based on that short. I would go see it!

I was thinking maybe they would have a character meal in France about Ratatouille? Or maybe they don't want a restaurant featuring large rats. You never know, though.

Dizneyfan
06-29-2007, 11:46 PM
I took my 6 year old DD and her friend to see it today too. We absolutely loved it. I thought that all of the characters in the movie looked real. My daughter especially liked the old woman in the beginning. I think that Disney and Pixar have done a fabulous job again. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Also I would love to see a character dinner featuring the characters from the movie.:mickey:

NotaGeek
06-29-2007, 11:57 PM
:nono:

Only 1 thread per topic please ...

MsMin
06-30-2007, 02:56 AM
WE went to see it tonight and it also exceeded my expectations. I loved it:thumbsup: I would see it again.... I too loved the short

Jared
06-30-2007, 10:07 AM
I will come back and write more later, but "Ratatouille" was truly a triumph for Pixar.

After "Toy Story 2" debuted almost nine years ago, I wondered if Pixar was nothing more than a quick flash in the pan. "Monsters, Inc." changed that notion by presenting a second original set of characters rivaling the magical Woody and Buzz Lightyear.

As the studio began chugging out phenomenal films virtually every year, the standards changed. Suddenly, I expected every Pixar movie to set the bar even higher, using "Toy Story" and "Finding Nemo" as the rule, not the exception.

"Ratatouille" exceeded every expectations. I left the theater convinced it was the best Pixar's best work. "Finding Nemo" may still be better, but it's closer than I thought possible.

If "Finding Nemo" is a five-star film and last summer's disappointing, "Cars," warrants three-and-one-half, "Ratatouille" deserves four-and-one-half stars.

NotaGeek
07-01-2007, 11:00 AM
WOW! I saw Ratatouille last night and I was completely blown away ... first of all, it was hilarious ... great story line, wonderfully developed characters and backstory. And the animation was completely unbelievable. Paris is one of my top 5 favorite cities in the world and I have been there dozens of time, and it was really amazing that it looked SO REAL! :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see it again! :thumbsup:

Wait, was that 2 thumbs up? It sure was! Oh it was cool that everyone in the audience started clapping at the end because it seems everyone enjoyed it as much as I did!

Mickey'sGirl
07-01-2007, 11:17 AM
We went on Friday night....and as someone who cooks and loves good food....I was really looking forward to it! We were not disappointed! The water effects were incredible, the characters were believable and the movie was phenomenal!!! This one got a two thumbs up from all four of us (that's eight thumbs for anyone who is counting!). I'm now going to have to go out and buy the Ratatouille apron and rat mits that I saw at the DS last week...
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: x 2

Melanie
07-01-2007, 03:09 PM
last summer's disappointing, "Cars,"

Disappointing according to ?????

Can't wait to see Ratatouille! Taking my sons, nieces and nephew this week. The positive reviews are very encouraging, although I saw the opening weekend take wasn't nearly as big as expected.

Kairi_7378
07-01-2007, 10:12 PM
I loved Ratatouille!!! I loved the way that they managed to convey the abstract concept of smell and taste on film. They really got the motions of a scared little rat perfect.

Cars was great but in a different way. This film was also about an abstract concept... the need to slow down.

Lacy
07-01-2007, 10:32 PM
If "Finding Nemo" is a five-star film and last summer's disappointing, "Cars," warrants three-and-one-half, "Ratatouille" deserves four-and-one-half stars.

I have to disagree with your ratings. I thought Cars was better than Nemo and Ratatouille. No matter how we rate the Pixar movies, I think we can all agree that they are all great!

Ratatouille was certainly entertaining and a very good and developed story. I'm glad to hear that kids are enjoying it as well. As I was watching, I was wondering if kids would find it entertaining or if too much would be over their heads (all the details about the chefs). I still continue to be amazed at how much better the animation looks at each new Pixar film. The food, water, and City were surprising real looking!

I do wonder if it will be as profitable in the merchandise department as most of the other Pixar films.

GrumpyFan
07-02-2007, 12:51 AM
I do wonder if it will be as profitable in the merchandise department as most of the other Pixar films.

Haven't seen it yet, hoping to this week. But, we were in the mall today and saw lots of kids with the dolls (Remy). However, I was a bit disappointed by the lack of Ratatouille merch. at the Disney Store. They had discounted Meet the Robinsons beach towels on the main display walking in the store. Not a very optimistic statement.

Crow
07-02-2007, 11:17 AM
ive heard diff things so am reading what those here thought.
animation great story ok is one i heard.
my fav Pixars are still Toy Storys
so how does everyone rate the Pixars?

Ian
07-02-2007, 11:33 AM
We saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. It's a great film!

I can't really decide where it ranks in relation to the other Pixar films, though, because it's just so different than the other ones. This is definitely a much more "grown up" storyline than any of the other Pixar movies.

Honestly, the best way I can quantify it is that this felt more like an "indie" film than a studio film. It had that same small, intimate, quiet feel that many indie films have. It really didn't have nearly as much of the more "big bang" feel that movies like Incredibles, Cars, and Nemo did.

Either way, it was a really great movie. I'd encourage everyone to go see it. It had everything ... laughs, tears, excitement ... and I thought the story was the best element. Yes, the visuals were stunning, but the story was very deep and richly developed.

The one thing that I wonder about with this film is, will it really reach people in that place most of the other Pixar films did? I mean, at the end of the day, this is a very odd story. A rat that loves to cook? Will that resonate people?

kaerbear178
07-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I loved it as well. I thought I might have a hard time with it being about rats but I thought that it was really well done. The animation was amazing as always. I am excited for it to come out on DVD.

MORTIMER
07-02-2007, 09:42 PM
We saw it earlier today and our whole family (DW and three boys ages 5 - 10) loved it. As far as where it ranks among the other PIXAR movies................hard to say, they are all great. In my opinion, they can just add one more to the list.

For those of you who are unsure about how the merchandising for this movie will go, I have no idea. But, let's not forget that the most marketed character ever is a mouse.

Mufasa
07-02-2007, 10:48 PM
The one thing that I wonder about with this film is, will it really reach people in that place most of the other Pixar films did? I mean, at the end of the day, this is a very odd story. A rat that loves to cook? Will that resonate people?

I think the audiences for Ratatouille will grow as positive word of mouth about the film begins to spread.

I'm reminded of the wonderful speech that the food critic Anton Ego gives at the end of the film as he's giving his review on Gasteau's as to just one reason why the story is charming and how it asks us to challenge our expectations and preconceived notions of what is possible and in line with the message from many of Pixar or Disney's films.

What really makes Ratatouille excel over other animated films is that it focuses on the characters and the story- you're not wrapped up in fast, cheap of the moment lines of dialog or sight gags or even in having some well known actor lend their voice to the role (and doing their same shtick, just as an animated character a la Shrek) which add a timelessness to the film and really makes it enjoyable.

While the voice actors in Ratatouille might not be a huge draw on name or recongition, they add such warm performances to the characters.

DizHawk
07-02-2007, 11:19 PM
I have to say, I don't get it. Maybe I'm too dense but I really didn't enjoy the film. My kids didn't enjoy the film. There were a fair amount of children mulling about during the film, which normally would drive me nuts, but I totally understood. I didn't see the appeal of the film. Yes, the animation was beautiful and the effects were amazing, but nothing seemed to resonate with me. For the love of Pete, it was a British food critic panning French food!?!

Sorry, just don't get it. No offense to those that do, I guess I'm just in the minority on this one.

alongfortheride
07-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Sorry, just don't get it. No offense to those that do, I guess I'm just in the minority on this one.

+1 for the minority. I've loved every Pixar so far, but this one did nothing for me. :shrug:

Mufasa
07-04-2007, 12:05 AM
So, for those who have seen the film- perhaps you might be interested in having a recipe for the version of ratatouille that Remy prepares for Anton Ego... well, look no further because here is the exact recipe.

The dish as featured in the film is actually an adaptation of a recipe designed by Chef Thomas Keller of the French Laundry restaurant in Yountville, CA that he calls Confit Byaldi. Pixar had consulted with Chef Keller to think of how they could take a simple, peasant dish like ratatouille and elevate it to something to serve a food critic like Anton Ego (prepare it as if you knew the most famous critic in the world were coming to the restaurant is the challenge Pixar laid out) especially since ratatouille tends to be more of a side dish.

Interesting side note about Chef Keller is that for being such a highly regarded world-renowned chef, he had no formal culinary training.

Traditionally, ratatouille is a late summer dish from the Provence region of France that highlights the main vegetables of the harvest season- tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, zucchini with garlic and fresh herbs.

A byaldi (french cooking term that is derived from a dish native to Turkey) refers to a layered vegetable dish. In Turkey there's Imam Bayildi which is a stuffed eggplant with similar ingredients to ratatouille that is braised in olive oil. In this particular version the vegetables rest on a Piperade (a specialty of the Basque region that consists of sweet peppers and tomatoes cooked in olive oil).

Confit Byaldi (serves 4)

For the Piperade:
1/2 red pepper, seeds and ribs removed
1/2 yellow pepper, seeds and ribs removed
1/2 orange pepper, seeds and ribs removed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
3 tomatoes (about 12 ounces total weight), peeled, seeded and finely diced, juices reserved
1 sprig thyme
1 sprig flat-leaf parsley
1/2 bay leaf
Kosher salt

For the vegetables:
1 zucchini (4 to 5 ounces) sliced in 1/16-inch rounds
1 Japanese eggplant, (4 to 5 ounces) sliced into 1/16-inch rounds
1 yellow squash (4 to 5 ounces) sliced into 1/16-inch rounds
4 Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/16-inch rounds
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon thyme leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the vinaigrette:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Assorted fresh herbs (thyme flowers, chervil, thyme)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

To make the Piperade: Heat an oven to 450 degrees. Place the pepper halves on a foil-lined sheet, cut side down. Roast until the skin loosens, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let rest until cool enough to handle. Peel and chop finely.

Combine the oil, garlic and onion in a medium skillet and cook over low heat on a stovetop until very soft but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, their juices, thyme, parsley and bay leaf. Simmer over low heat until very soft and very little liquid remains, about 10 minutes, do not brown; add peppers and simmer to soften them. Season to taste with salt and discard herbs. Reserve 1 tablespoon of mixture and spread remainder in bottom of an 8-inch ovenproof skillet.

To prepare the vegetables: Heat an oven to 275 degrees. In the center of a skillet arrange 8 alternating slices of vegetables, 2 each of zucchini, eggplant, squash and tomatoes, over the piperade, overlapping in a circle so that 1/4 inch of each slice is exposed. Continue alternating and overlapping vegetables in close spiral that lets slices mound slightly in center. Repeat until the pan is filled; all vegetables may not be needed.

Mix garlic, oil and thyme leaves in bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle over vegetables. Cover the skillet with foil and crimp edges to seal well. Bake until vegetables are tender when tested with a paring knife, about 2 hours. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes more. (Lightly cover with foil if it starts to brown.) If there is excess liquid in pan, place over medium heat on stove until reduced. (At this point it may be cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. If desired, reheat in 350-degree oven until warm.)

To make the vinaigrette: Combine the reserved piperade, oil, vinegar, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.

To serve: Heat your oven broiler and place the byaldi underneath until lightly browned. Cut in quarters and very carefully lift one quarter onto plate with an offset spatula. Turn the spatula 90 degrees, guiding byaldi into an accordian fan shape. Drizzle some of the vinaigrette around the plate.

sunlyon
07-04-2007, 08:20 AM
One thing I think that Pixar excels at is to take something you don't care about or is just unloveable and turn it around.

I didn't want to see Cars. I was thinking "how dumb, a movie about talking cars..." We went to see it and I loved it. The story was so well told that by the end it wasn't about cars at all.

The same goes for Ratatouille. Face it, for most people rats are unloveable and death to a kitchen. Who would ever feel empathy for a rat? Well by the end of the movie you do feel empathy and are cheering for that little guy.

Like all Pixar movies it is about friendship. Friendship comes in the most unlikely of places and we shouldn't cut people out of our lives just because they don't fit our idea of what a friend should look like. Friendships are priceless.

I loved this movie. I want to go back to Paris...

2Epcot
07-04-2007, 08:10 PM
We went to see the movie today, and both me and my wife enjoyed it, though she thought it was also disgusting in a way. I told her that was the sign of a good job by Pixar ... the look and movement of the rats was very believable. We sat next to some girls who appeared to be around 7-9 years old, and they seem to like it very much ... They laughed quite a bit.

Another thing I love about Pixar is how well they do backgrounds and environments. You feel like your in Paris, and you felt like you were right along side Remy. I liked how so many of the perspectives were from the rat's point of view.

I agree the film did have sort of an independent film feel to it. I enjoyed that as well. Great job by Lou Romano, from the art department to voice actor, as the voice for Linguini. I also loved that at the end of the film credits it said something to the effect of:
"100% animation ... NO MOTION CAPTURE" ... take that Happy Feet!

SallyP
07-08-2007, 08:00 AM
So, for those who have seen the film- perhaps you might be interested in having a recipe for the version of ratatouille that Remy prepares for Anton Ego... well, look no further because here is the exact recipe.

:thumbsup: Thank you for this recipe. It's a little more sophisticated than the casserole form of ratatouille. If it made Anton Ego swoon it must be really fabulous. Pixar did an excellent job with food visuals and the emotions involved with preparing and enjoying small portions of beautifully presented healthy food. I realize that sounds a bit stuffy but if one needs to prepare food everyday for a family you may as well get some enjoyment from it and throw in some creative juices while you're at it. :chef:

tinkwest
07-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Ratatouille doesn't sound delicious. It sounds like 'rat' and 'patootie'. 'Rat-patootie', which does not sound delicious.

For some reason that piece of dialog from the movie just really made me laugh.

The largest groan in the theater came from all the kids when Linguini and Colette kissed. hehe.

We enjoyed the movie and as always a Pixar short to start it off is always a wonderful bonus. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Keep 'em comin' !

DisneyJunkie
07-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Ok, so I saw Ratatouille last night. I had ZERO interest in seeing it (unlike with most Pixar films), but I had someone buy me a ticket and so I went.

Overall opinion: BORING

I have to say, aside from the phenomenally superb animation, I was quite disappointed and genuinely bored by this movie. The story was weak, and as I sat there I tried to imagine what the possible appeal for children could be with the movie, other than there being an animated, talking rat. I mean, come on, are small children going to want to watch a movie about cooking in Paris? I wouldn't have wanted to. This kind of flick is the opposite of previous Pixar classics like Incredible and Cars. At least with those, you're made to want to see it by the trailers and previews alone. Ratatouille had very few laughs, and a great deal of cliches and cop-out moments. Personally I'd rate the movie a C+, but only because of the terrific animation by Pixar.

Shame on Pixar for letting their standards drop so low.

BOO! Bad movie...

brownie
07-08-2007, 01:03 PM

My thoughts exactly. We saw and enjoyed it, but I don't think it's going to have the same mass appeal that the other Pixar films have had. I think you need to work harder at understanding the story in Ratatouille, and that may translate into fewer dollars at the box office.

It is a good movie, though, and I'd recommend seeing it.

NotaGeek
07-08-2007, 01:57 PM
I think the central message is "If you can dream it, you can be it" and everyone gets that message loud and clear.

Disney Babe
07-09-2007, 01:01 AM
I saw this movie today and totally loved it. Paris was beautiful and I can't believe the use of light in the animation. Fantastic! There was a scene that had a little bit of fog or mist and it looked real enough to set a mood.

I didn't like the idea of a rat, but this rat actually seems cuddly! Remy is an individual and, as a rat, somewhat of a rebel because he doesn't like to get his front paws dirty since he eats with them. I love the scene where the rest of the rats helped out in the kitchen and Remy made sure they all were steam cleaned before touching food!

I found the looks of this movie to be very realistic, yet fun and creative. Anton Ego reminded me of the artwork of the creator of The Addams Family (Charles Addams?). The darkness and angles of the character stood out as creepy and the British accent, to me, made his character distinctive giving me the idea that is is an outsider who came to Paris to be the #1 food critic in Europe. I love the fact that we got to see that the man does have a heart.

The story line was great and It has a great message for kids who have the patience to watch it. I think to understand the movie a child has to be at an age where he/she is questioning their place in the world and wondering what it would be like to "be" something. There are enough movies that exist for younger kids and this one is a little different, giving an older child some things to think about.

I don't usually go to see a movie more than once, but I just might do that with this movie!

Also, the soundtrack is very cool.

mjaclyn
07-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I LOVED it!! I saw this movie two nights in a row and can't wait to see it again. I love Pixar animation and I really liked the story line. (Even if rats ARE creepy!)

pedro2112
07-10-2007, 12:16 PM
I tried to imagine what the possible appeal for children could be with the movie, other than there being an animated, talking rat. I mean, come on, are small children going to want to watch a movie about cooking in Paris?

Every child that I know that has seen this movie (including my own) have absolutely loved the movie. I haven't heard one child say they didn't like it.

Great movie, with the strongest story yet to come out of Pixar.

DisneyJunkie
07-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Every child that I know that has seen this movie (including my own) have absolutely loved the movie. I haven't heard one child say they didn't like it.

Great movie, with the strongest story yet to come out of Pixar.

I find that very hard to believe (though not impossible) based on the reaction of many of the children in the same theater I was in when I saw it. Most were bored and just wanted to go home. I know other families with children and those children thought it was "dumb" (their word, not mine). Poor movie, with a very weak story. Shame on Pixar for that.

pedro2112
07-10-2007, 10:39 PM
I find that very hard to believe (though not impossible) based on the reaction of many of the children in the same theater I was in when I saw it. Most were bored and just wanted to go home. I know other families with children and those children thought it was "dumb" (their word, not mine). Poor movie, with a very weak story. Shame on Pixar for that.

Interesting response. My children loved it, and poster after poster in this thread have also stated their children loved it, yet you find that hard to believe? Are we all lying to you?

Christine
07-11-2007, 12:51 AM
pedro, we had the same experience at our viewing of Ratatouille as DisneyJunkie. My daughter (who LOVES all other Pixar movies) and many (not a few, not several, but many) of the other children in the theater grew quite restless after about the first half of the show.

My family didn't care for the movie at all. We wanted to! We're not criticizing or picking it apart just for fun. We LOVE Disney/Pixar and had the highest hopes for this movie. But alas, it didn't do a thing for us. (despite the extraordinary artwork)

I'm glad that so many folks are liking the film. I'm glad all the kids in your theater did too. But I think it is very safe to say that there are children and adults (minority as they may be) that did not.

I don't think DisneyJunkie was calling anyone a liar. I think they were just trying to drive home the fact that the movie has not been well received by 100% of its audience.

Sorry...tension on these boards makes me uncomfortable! I feel like I have to step in and try to smooth things over! :blush:

DisneyJunkie
07-11-2007, 06:09 AM
Interesting response. My children loved it, and poster after poster in this thread have also stated their children loved it, yet you find that hard to believe? Are we all lying to you?

So because I found a different type of response to the movie in the theater than you or others did, you take offense to that? Are you by any chance employed with Pixar? I do believe some are exaggerating either their or their children's response to the movie, but I won't quite say they're lying.

DisneyJunkie
07-11-2007, 06:11 AM
pedro, we had the same experience at our viewing of Ratatouille as DisneyJunkie. My daughter (who LOVES all other Pixar movies) and many (not a few, not several, but many) of the other children in the theater grew quite restless after about the first half of the show.

My family didn't care for the movie at all. We wanted to! We're not criticizing or picking it apart just for fun. We LOVE Disney/Pixar and had the highest hopes for this movie. But alas, it didn't do a thing for us. (despite the extraordinary artwork)

I'm glad that so many folks are liking the film. I'm glad all the kids in your theater did too. But I think it is very safe to say that there are children and adults (minority as they may be) that did not.

I don't think DisneyJunkie was calling anyone a liar. I think they were just trying to drive home the fact that the movie has not been well received by 100% of its audience.

Sorry...tension on these boards makes me uncomfortable! I feel like I have to step in and try to smooth things over! :blush:

Thank you! You hit the point exactly.

Jared
07-11-2007, 10:20 AM
There are enough movies that exist for younger kids and this one is a little different, giving an older child some things to think about.

You made arguably the best post in the entire thread. "Ratatouille," while deserving a G rating, is not a movie for young children. Many preschoolers are bored because the story is too layered and the characters too complex. I wouldn't have related to the plight of Remy or Anton Ego when I was five-years-old.

What does it say that "Ratatouille" is arguably the most critically acclaimed Pixar movie since "Toy Story 2?" The film earned a 96 percent fresh rating--including 100 percent in the "cream of the crop" section (critics from the nation's major newspapers and magazines).

Many critics struggle to relate to the films they review. A good reviewer understands the intention of a movie and determines if the director accomplished those goals. A critic using those standards expecting "Ratatouille" to appeal to youngsters would pan the film. The critics looked at the film as a movie with its own values and merits. They looked at the deep, rich storyline with complicated emotions. For that reason, the reviews were glowing. (In an unrelated note, The New York Times reviewer, A.O. Scott, wrote the best review he's ever written about "Ratatouille.")

So many films are directed exclusively at children. Adults sit in the theater falling asleep or crying from boredom and disgust at the fall of quality family cinema. To some, including myself, "Cars" fits that description.

"Ratatouille" proves something exists between the perfect "Toy Story" and the lackluster "Shrek the Third."

DisneyJunkie
07-11-2007, 10:54 AM
What does it say that "Ratatouille" is arguably the most critically acclaimed Pixar movie since "Toy Story 2?"

"Ratatouille" proves something exists between the perfect "Toy Story" and the lackluster "Shrek the Third."

Personally, for me, I have to completely disagree. I found no such "rich, deep storyline" in Ratatouille. What I found was a weak storyline stretched out far too long with nothing of any real substance filling in the time. But that's my opinion.

I hardly consider the opinions of critics (whether they're unanimous in praise or criticism) for the movie to carry any weight, when it comes down to my own personal viewpoint of what I came away with from seeing this film. What Ratatouille proves is that Pixar may be starting to take their own previous success and high-quality for granted, assuming that even the weakest of storylines and most uninteresting of plots will be successful simply because they're Pixar. And as a result, we get something that doesn't come close to the excellence of Toy Story 1 or 2, or the Incredibles, or Finding Nemo.

Animation aside, Ratatouille is as weak a cinematic offering as such films put out by other studios such as Hoodwinked, Over the Hedge, or Open Season.

NotaGeek
07-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Personally, for me, I have to completely disagree. I found no such "rich, deep storyline" in Ratatouille. What I found was a weak storyline stretched out far too long with nothing of any real substance filling in the time. But that's my opinion.

I hardly consider the opinions of critics (whether they're unanimous in praise or criticism) for the movie to carry any weight, when it comes down to my own personal viewpoint of what I came away with from seeing this film. What Ratatouille proves is that Pixar may be starting to take their own previous success and high-quality for granted, assuming that even the weakest of storylines and most uninteresting of plots will be successful simply because they're Pixar. And as a result, we get something that doesn't come close to the excellence of Toy Story 1 or 2, or the Incredibles, or Finding Nemo.

Animation aside, Ratatouille is as weak a cinematic offering as such films put out by other studios such as Hoodwinked, Over the Hedge, or Open Season.

I agree with you, I don't listen to critics, because it's MUCH easier to talk about why you dislike a movie and find all the stuff that tears a movie apart, then they talk about how a movie was really disappointing and try to convince others why their view is right.

Noah's Helper
07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
One thing I think that Pixar excels at is to take something you don't care about or is just unloveable and turn it around.

I didn't want to see Cars. I was thinking "how dumb, a movie about talking cars..." We went to see it and I loved it.

I felt the same way about several of the Pixar films, including Finding Nemo and Cars. The previews just didn't sell me on the films. I saw Ratatouille because of Pixar's track record -- and loved it, just the same as with all of the other Pixar films.

Also, the soundtrack is very cool.
I didn't really notice the soundtrack until the end credits. I loved that piece -- the whole credits sequence reminded me of some 60's films.

"Ratatouille," while deserving a G rating, is not a movie for young children. Many preschoolers are bored because the story is too layered and the characters too complex.

I wondered about this as we were watching the movie. I was surprised afterwards by how much my kids said they enjoyed the movie (they're 7 and 9).

Many critics struggle to relate to the films they review.

I wonder how many of those critics were able to relate to Anton Ego? :D

Mufasa, thanks for the recipe. Our family is eager to try it!

crazy4disneyworld
07-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Putting aside all arguments, I'd just like to throw in my 2 cents.

Brilliant! "Ratatouille" was simply brilliant! I think this is quite possibly Pixar's best so far. The storyline was very strong and unique, the animation was flawless (Beautiful Paris skyline!), and this was genuinely funny. Brad Bird really nailed the comedy down and made "Ratatouille" funny for all age groups. Few have been able to make this happen in recent years. Some parts were downright hysterical! The characters were very well developed, and the message of not discouraging creativity and following dreams came out quietly, but intelligently.

Pixar just keeps getting better every time!

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

DisneyJunkie
07-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Actually the only "unique" thing about the story is that it has rats and a Paris restaurant setting. Otherwise, the story about a child wanting his parent's approval and the hard-headed parent softening up is nothing new. It's been done and redone in animated and non-animated films. Watch "October Sky" with Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Cooper for an example of that.

As far as the humor is concerned, there wasn't really anything in the movie worth more than a slight chuckle. It was rehashed, obvious, recycled humor that was all of the "been there, done that" nature.

crazy4disneyworld
07-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Actually the only "unique" thing about the story is that it has rats and a Paris restaurant setting. Otherwise, the story about a child wanting his parent's approval and the hard-headed parent softening up is nothing new. It's been done and redone in animated and non-animated films. Watch "October Sky" with Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Cooper for an example of that.

As far as the humor is concerned, there wasn't really anything in the movie worth more than a slight chuckle. It was rehashed, obvious, recycled humor that was all of the "been there, done that" nature.
Wow, just because you didn't like the movie, doesn't mean I can't? Why should I respect your opinion if you don't have the courtesy to let me have my own point of view?

And, it just so happens that the story is unique. A rat who wants to cook? A human and a rat depending on each other to reach their goals? None of that is unique to you? Yes, we have seen the theme of kid trying to win parent's approval and parent softening up, but that's only a part of the story, and, besides, doesn't setting and characters matter anything to you?

As for the humor, you couldn't laugh at the French couple that started hugging after one had a gun on the other? Or the chef that did time in jail (that's not even unique to you?)?

I wouldn't care that you didn't like the film if you could just leave my opinion alone, but since you want to make an argument out of it, there's my rebuttal. "Ratatouille" happens to be my favorite Disney/Pixar movie, that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Mickey'sGirl
07-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Many preschoolers are bored because the story is too layered and the characters too complex. I wouldn't have related to the plight of Remy or Anton Ego when I was five-years-old.It all depends on the pre-schooler. When we saw it at the theatre, we were surrounded by little kids who were very attentive and excited by it. My DS3 LOVED Ratatouille -- he related to it on so many levels -- His Mom cooks a lot (so cooking is something he is interested in), we eat out in good restaurants, he LOVED that they were brothers, he LOVES Colette and the lights and activity of the city (we live in a big city).... He begged me to take him to the bookstore yesterday (it didn't take a great effort mind you) to get a "Ratooey" book -- He walked right up to the clerk, asked for help and came over to me with three books that we had to read right away. Last night he slept with his books.

I don't think the characters in Ratatouille are any more complex than the Cars characters or Marlin in Nemo.....and we all know how popular those movies are with the pre-school set. :mickey:

crazy4disneyworld
07-12-2007, 10:14 AM
So because I found a different type of response to the movie in the theater than you or others did, you take offense to that? Are you by any chance employed with Pixar? I do believe some are exaggerating either their or their children's response to the movie, but I won't quite say they're lying.
So because I have a different response, you take offense to that and have to call out my post? I see the obvious double standard. That was out of line, just like pedro2112 was in calling out your opinion. Sorry I ever dared to say something different and hurt your obviously fragile ego. I wouldn't be posting this, but you asked for it.

Jared
07-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Jennifer, I'm glad your preschoolers loved the movie. I wasn't trying to imply all small children will not understand "Ratatouille." But I do think it is probably the most complicated Pixar film thus far for youngsters.

DisneyJunkie
07-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Wow, just because you didn't like the movie, doesn't mean I can't? Why should I respect your opinion if you don't have the courtesy to let me have my own point of view?

And, it just so happens that the story is unique. A rat who wants to cook? A human and a rat depending on each other to reach their goals? None of that is unique to you? Yes, we have seen the theme of kid trying to win parent's approval and parent softening up, but that's only a part of the story, and, besides, doesn't setting and characters matter anything to you?

As for the humor, you couldn't laugh at the French couple that started hugging after one had a gun on the other? Or the chef that did time in jail (that's not even unique to you?)?

I wouldn't care that you didn't like the film if you could just leave my opinion alone, but since you want to make an argument out of it, there's my rebuttal. "Ratatouille" happens to be my favorite Disney/Pixar movie, that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Wow, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed, didn't they? There always seems to be someone who can't take people disagreeing with them, and the above is perfect example of an overreaction to that.

I didn't attack you, I didn't say you couldn't like the movie, I was simply disagreeing with your view of it. I did and do have courtesy enough to let you have your view. In no way did I say otherwise. I suggest you take some deep breaths and get a grip. No, none of that strikes me as particularly unique, and certainly not the least bit interesting. Let me guess, now I'm not allowed to feel that way about it because you happened to like it? Setting and character happen to matter a lot to me, and because they were so boring and uninteresting in this movie, it just added to what made the movie so disappointing for me.

No, I didn't laugh at the French couple with the gun or the chef in jail. I saw ZERO humor in it, and before you make a comment on that, I do have a good sense of humor, I find many things to be funny. Sadly, I found little to none of those things in this movie.

Whoopie for you if Ratatoillle is your favorite Disney-Pixar film. You're always entitled to your opinion, and welcome to share it like all of us are, whether we liked the movie or not.

DisneyJunkie
07-12-2007, 10:25 AM
So because I have a different response, you take offense to that and have to call out my post? I see the obvious double standard. That was out of line, just like pedro2112 was in calling out your opinion. Sorry I ever dared to say something different and hurt your obviously fragile ego. I wouldn't be posting this, but you asked for it.

No, there is no double standard. Let me apologize for upsetting your likewise fragile ego. Looks to me like people have been going off their meds around here.

Mickey'sGirl
07-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Jennifer, I'm glad your preschoolers loved the movie. I wasn't trying to imply all small children will not understand "Ratatouille." But I do think it is probably the most complicated Pixar film thus far for youngsters.
No harm, no foul Jared! :thumbsup:You said "many" not all. Just tossing my experience out there! It's great to be able to have this discussion. I agree that it is complicated ... but I also think that there is a basic Journey tale in there that everyone can relate to if the rest of it gets to be too much! :mickey:

dpamac
07-12-2007, 11:03 AM
A moderator note here to make sure this discussion remains on how we feel about the movie and not other posters.

The fact that we are having such a lively discussion about the film proves that, on some level, it is extremely successful. We're talking about it very passionately.

Let's keep the passion constructive . . .

Thanks!

Jared
07-12-2007, 11:22 AM
No harm, no foul Jared! :thumbsup:You said "many" not all. Just tossing my experience out there! It's great to be able to have this discussion. I agree that it is complicated ... but I also think that there is a basic Journey tale in there that everyone can relate to if the rest of it gets to be too much! :mickey:
Consider your children smart! ;) You have a couple budding brilliant Disney fans. :thumbsup:

DVC2004
07-12-2007, 06:45 PM
My 8 and 10 year olds loved it. My oldest has been pretending he's a chef since he saw it. I enjoyed it, too.:thumbsup: Remy is cute!:mickey:

MrPeetrie
07-12-2007, 07:31 PM
This was one excellent movie. The filming was very stylish and the plotline was terrific. Once again, Disney/PIXAR hits one out of the park!!!

crazy4disneyworld
07-12-2007, 10:09 PM
DisneyJunkie, I'll be the first to say...my bad. I overreacted. Maybe I read too much into your first response, but I thought at the time you were just taking everything I said and saying I was wrong based on previous debate. I can tell now that's not what you meant, but your post combined with your past responses to others took an unintentionally offensive tone to a post I just wanted to be nonconfrontational.

Don't get me wrong, I do like constructive debate and I respect others' opinions. If that's all you were offering, I'm sorry I didn't take it that way.

Let's put this behind us, DisneyJunkie.:blush: And I look forward to reading more posts by more people.

DisneyJunkie
07-13-2007, 06:13 AM
No harm, no foul. I'm just going after a movie I didn't care for, not the people who enjoyed it, of which there appear to be many.

crazy4disneyworld
07-13-2007, 08:33 AM
No harm, no foul. I'm just going after a movie I didn't care for, not the people who enjoyed it, of which there appear to be many.
Thanks for understanding.

DisneyGiant
07-15-2007, 05:37 PM
We were late to seeing this film - I was expecting to love it.

I couldn't believe it when I was so disappointed in it. Could have been assisted by the crowd in the theatre. No one laughed. No one.

And the kids were extremely bored (ages 6 & 10). These kids are Disney\Pixar fanatics - they couldn't believe it either. The 6 year old kept asking me when it was going to end......

I sometimes found the French accents very hard to interpret. Plus - I couldn't suspend my belief that rats could be lovable characters - especially during the "colony" scenes!

Oh well - I guess there's bound to be a clunker, even in Pixar films (in our humble opinion of course).

We did come out with a favorite line:

Girl Chef: You will keep your station clean, or I will KILL you.

Silly - but the best line of the movie!

Tinkerbell627
07-15-2007, 06:04 PM
And you can't forget:

"We hate to be rude, but we're French" Coming from a British family, I cracked up.

As for the movie, I felt that it was overall, very solid, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I got that warm, fuzzy feeling that I always get after a Pixar film. Definitely not my favorite, but I was still pleased at what Pixar accomplished.

Really looking forward to "Wall E" since I'm going through a robot-loving phase after seeing Transformers. Can't wait!

RedSoxFan
07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Kourtney and I finally went to see the movie yesterday. We both thought it was a great movie.:mickey:

alongfortheride
07-19-2007, 12:36 PM
We were late to seeing this film - I was expecting to love it.

I couldn't believe it when I was so disappointed in it. Could have been assisted by the crowd in the theatre. No one laughed. No one.

And the kids were extremely bored (ages 6 & 10). These kids are Disney\Pixar fanatics - they couldn't believe it either. The 6 year old kept asking me when it was going to end......

I sometimes found the French accents very hard to interpret. Plus - I couldn't suspend my belief that rats could be lovable characters - especially during the "colony" scenes!

Oh well - I guess there's bound to be a clunker, even in Pixar films (in our humble opinion of course).

We did come out with a favorite line:

Girl Chef: You will keep your station clean, or I will KILL you.

Silly - but the best line of the movie!

That is the exact experience we had...

DisneyJunkie
07-19-2007, 06:43 PM
That is the exact experience we had...

Nice to know I'm not alone.

tinkerbell04
07-24-2007, 07:45 PM
We finally got to the movies to see it yesterday. I wanted to like it, but it was just ok....could have skipped it and not missed it.:mickey:

Chrisx2
07-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Well, I took our DD (6) and DS (almost 5) to see it for the second time. They love it just as much as the first time. My daughter just had her birthday and went to Party City. Her pick? A Ratatouille party! Yes, Remy Remy everywhere! This was one of my favorite Disney movies. I think it is like every other movie, every one has their own opinion. As for our house, we have 4 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:!

Now I just have to convince my daughter we cannot go to Paris to see the rats...

LauraleeH
07-25-2007, 10:54 PM
I saw it twice. The first time with my grandparents and younger cousins, and the second time with my friends (18-19 years old) and we all liked it. It's definitely not my favorite, but my whole room is decorated to look like Paris (I'm obsessed) and the scenes were amazing. Especially at night...beautiful. I really like Colette and Linguini, which made the movie for me. Remy was cute but the other rats were just annoying.

By the way, I read all of the Pirates of the Caribbean books after I saw the movies and it really helped me to enjoy it better, so I bought the book for Ratatouille, and I must admit that it made the whole story better for me.

All in all, it was cute and people of all ages can enjoy it.

magicman
09-03-2007, 10:41 AM
I just saw Ratatouille, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My question relates to after the movie being over: Did anyone else leave the movie dying for some gourmet cheese, etc.? After we left the theatre my family and I headed straight out for gourmet cheese & chocolate.:tasty:

Did anyone else yearn for gourmet foods after seeing the movie?:eat:

DizneyFreak2002
09-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I have yet to see the movie... I will once the DVD comes out...