PDA

View Full Version : The one's you leave behind....

CarolinaWDWFan
05-02-2007, 11:47 AM
How about those friends and family members you leave behind when you go to WDW? Do you ever call them while waiting in line for an attraction or send a free email from Epcot, etc.? They are left at home while you are in the MAGIC! For some reason, souveniers just don't do the trick. With the advancement in communications, we like to reach out an touch someone---:thedolls: I know my motivation to do this, so what is yours?

I like to send emails and make the occassional phone call. Especially to my mother who has been hooked since DL opened and has since alligned herself with WDW. I like to call her at work from an attraction. I also send her text messages with photos from inside the attractions. Before you flame me for being the "mean" son, let me tell you that she repays the favor when she has gone to the World when I have not been able to go. I get it back ten-fold.

What do you do to share your experiences with those you have left behind?

BriarRose0708
05-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Ha, good question. My mom and I do the same thing you do. I call her from my vacations, and she calls me to brag about her adventures. Mostly I call family back at home and close friends while I am standing in a long queue line, mostly Splash Mountain. I also like to take some time during lunch or down time in the parks to text message friends, etc.

LizLovesDiz
05-02-2007, 12:00 PM
We will be at WDW tommorrow also!:cloud9: I call my best friend about 20 times a day,so she can hear everything in the background,she loves it!!! :mickey:

biodtl
05-02-2007, 12:31 PM
We send the cool email postcards and photos from Innoventions and Imagination.

Dawnya
05-02-2007, 12:50 PM
We do the video email from innoventions and phone calls. Now that we have camera phones, we'll have more to send them!

Figgyluv03
05-02-2007, 12:55 PM
I like sending the e-mails from Epcot, however I'm horrible at remembering everyone e-mail address. I called my mom a few times on my senior trip but basically everyday when I was a CPer.

DVC2004
05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
On the first few trips we sent postcards to work and school and some friends. I call my mom when we are there because she watches my cats while we go and also wants to hear about what we are doing and talk to the kids. No one else cares anymore!;) My DH always wants to buy that postage paid coconut they sell at the Poly and Adventureland, but my answer is always who will we mail it to? Oursleves?

angedeaile
05-02-2007, 04:21 PM
We do the video email from innoventions....

I loved doing that! We sent a cute one to my mom from MS's pavilion and she was just in heaven. She called us that night to tell us about the wonderful email surprise of us on the moon!:thumbsup:

ihavealipfreckle
05-02-2007, 05:53 PM
I send emails from the interactive area at the end of Imagination. Also, once I called my best friend when I was on Test Track. I didn't say a word, I just let him listen to figure out what I was doing. It was great!

12 days!!

LoriMistress
05-02-2007, 06:23 PM
DH has to call his dad while waiting in line for a ride, though his dad prefers if we call during the line of The Jungle Cruise. I just normally call my parents when we come back from one of the parks.

Red Randal
05-02-2007, 06:38 PM
I called one of my best friends while she was in the library working on a senior math honors thesis. As if spending a beautiful summer day doing that wasn't bad enough she got "guess where I am!?! (phone placed up to speaker on Spaceship Earth.)"

I've brought a laptop so that I could IM some people from the hotel and check in with all of you here on ICot. Does that count?

Marker
05-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Last trip I used my cell phone to send a short (but effective) video clip while I was riding It's A Small World.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-02-2007, 09:15 PM
:mickey: The kids call their grandparents a few times to tell them how much fun they are having.

I then call my sisters and brag about the fun we are having!! :thedolls:

CandleontheWater
05-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Since my DH is currently deployed, he's been really sad to miss my recent Disney trips. The last time I went I took one of those mini tape recorders and "talked" to him throughout my day. He got running commentary about my experiences, and he got plenty of ambient "park noise". It wasn't as good as being there, but he did appreciate it.

indytraveler
05-02-2007, 10:57 PM
I've tried to conduct business ONCE in the MK. Didn't work. (imagine that) I've only called people that wanted me to call them. I've called some 1st timers who I gave them an itenerrary to see how they are doing. Nothing mean

homeschool mom
05-03-2007, 07:39 AM
There is one family I call as soon as we step onto Main Street. I just like to rub it in that we're there and they're not. :thedolls: It's all a matter of lovable teasing. On our last trip I called my brother's girlfriend a couple of times. Her family is part of DVC and go every other year. I call her so she can "hear" the Magic. In turn, she called me on her trip when she was in small world because she knows it is my favorit ride. :mickey:

Spaceship Tigger
05-03-2007, 07:53 AM
A friend of mine e-mailed me with a Blackberry while he was standing in line for Soarin' a few weeks ago. I was sitting at work and it was quite a surprise. He was lucky that we have a trip planned soon so I didn't have to hurt him.

darthmacho
05-03-2007, 07:55 AM
No. While I'm at WDW, the rest of the world does not exist, no friends, no foes, no family...

:hide:

TKSax
05-03-2007, 09:09 AM
We have sent postcards, called people in inovations, and send the e-mail post cards.

jpcns50
05-03-2007, 09:53 AM
I love to make phone calls when I am in the World. I usually save them for when I am taking a short rest on a bench, or at night when I get back to the room. Unless something extrordinary happens, I try not to even think about my cell phone when I'm in the middle of a day.

JPL
05-03-2007, 10:29 AM
I have a friend that I always talk to in the morning when she is driving to work and I am on the bus or the train. A few times I would call from the bus on my way to the park. I would ask where she was and she would reply a few blocks from work. And then yell when I would say on my way to the Magic Kingdom. Hey I can see Space Mountain now :thedolls: Great fun in the morning :thumbsup:

Jared
05-03-2007, 10:45 AM
I make a lot of phone calls to loved ones on vacation. I talk to my best friend almost every day and send him pictures of favorite attractions and experiences.

I also talk to my grandfather most days, but he has never visited Walt Disney World.

DizNee143
05-03-2007, 11:04 AM
if im not with my family or my fiance while im in disney..i dont really call anyone...but i call my sister alot...she knows if im in disney i might just call her on a ride and i wont say hi...illj ust put the phone by the speaker so she can hear whatever ride im on...and she has done that to me too while she is there and im not..its just nice to get a call or to call someone when in disney...:mickey:

Tynkerbelle
05-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm kind of with Darthmacho on the whole "world does not exist while at WDW", however, we usually send a corny email from Imagination (complete with the photo of us morphed into some variation of ourselves).

I also call my Mom & Sister every night to say goodnight to them (I do that when I'm home, too).

Belle_0717
05-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Great question. I hate to carry my cell phone because I am on vacation and do not want to be distrubed. But my parents, sister and I began calling my grandmother from EPCOT while in the UK in one of the red booths. This has since been a tradition with all of us. Whether via cell phone or the old payphone, we always call. My parents are in WDW now and called Tuesday from there. My nephew was born only days before my husband and I visited in October and I welcomed him into the tradition - hey start him early.

With only 3 days to go, I can't wait. A lot of times I wished I had my phone to call my parents or sister to remind them of where I am and how much fun we had together.

In October, we will all be together again at WDW - our last family trip was in 1998 when there was 4 of us - parents, sis and me. Now we will be 7 - parents, sis, her hubby and son and my DH and I.

Can't wait.:thumbsup:

AdventurerKim
05-03-2007, 06:57 PM
We are rarely in WDW without family members who are also as obsessed with WDW as we are, although on many occasions we have called my brother or sent teasing postcards from Imageworks and such when he wasn't with us, but that was mainly bc we missed him.

Last week, my DH and I were the victims of a phone call by my parents who were stuck on TTA and thought they'd call us while waitng. :thedolls: We were not happy bc they know we won't be going back until Nov. and can't wait for that time to come (which they knew of course).

Bruegge
05-03-2007, 08:46 PM
My BIL and I get along great,

He will call me from a vacation usually at a beach location in Florida (he's in Cincinnati..for the geographicly challenged...nowhere NEAR a beach) He will rub it in that it's 90 degrees but his beer is mere 34 degrees.... as the sun sets on the ocean.. Big Joker...

I'm calling him from Norway with one of those cold beers in hand and I'm going to get one of those girls (Norway CM's) to make the call with her cute accent.... LOL

I can hear her now "Hello Jeff, this is Inga from Norway, Scott says you should go cut the grass while he and I enjoy a cold brewski together here in Epcot..."

Pay backs are heck...

Scott

mrsHerbie53
05-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Sure -- I like to call my co-workers and rub it in!!!! I remember calling them last trip while DS was riding the Magic Carpet ride...

We also call to the inlaws to see how our house is and our pets -- sometimes from the parks but usuall back at the resort...depends when we "remember"!!!

I like the idea of calling an just placing the phone near the ride music!!!

I would have to hurt someone if they did that too me! ;)

kakn7294
05-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Personally, I don't like getting or making calls while I'm at WDW. I do talk to my mother - but she expects me to call or calls me several times a day and tries to make me feel guilty because I'm there and I didn't take her with me. Last trip, my DD's called their friends and I called my friend at work but not to rub it in, just to talk for a few minutes. In 2003, I did have to call work a couple of times - that was to call off because they wouldn't grant me vacation time or trades. The shift supervisor knew very well where I was and told me to tell Mickey hello from her.

ImagiAsh
05-04-2007, 01:23 AM
Last trip, I called my best friend in the pre-show room of ToT just to rub it in her face that I was there and she wasn't. Six months later, I was paid back. She called me from the same exact spot and just laughed into the phone before letting me listen to the pre-show. :thedolls:

Here we go again...
05-04-2007, 10:18 AM
I am so bad about this...

I love to call Bret (SgtTigger) every chance I get... when I see the first purple sign, when I get to MK, When I ride the Monorail, you name and I have called him with the "Ha, Ha I'm here and you are not" call. I know it is evil but I can't help it. And for some reason he always answers his phone... :D

I also call my dad to rub it in when ever I am in Epcot. That is his favorite park and I love to torture him. I got my Epcot license plate just so I could give him a hard time.

mudpuppysmom
05-04-2007, 10:38 AM
We usually send the email from Epcot (Imagination pavilion) and I make a few calls to check on our fur balls, but that is about it.

If we're there in the winter and it is cold here and snowy, I call one of my friends and ask her "how's the weather?"......sometimes she forgets I'm gone and says......it's snowing here now, so it'll get to you in a few hours (She works about an hour north of where we live)....I then tell her, "it's not going to snow here!!! It's 80 degrees!!!'.....then she gets clued in and tells me thanks........say hi to mickey for her!

Septbride2002
05-04-2007, 10:53 AM
We send an email from Imagination and we talk to our neighbors. They call us when they are eating their Earl of Sandwich, and when they are on vacation I'll call them a couple times with "whatcha doing" so I can get a small disney fix.

~Amanda

disneycharm
05-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Last August my younger DS and I went to Disney, but my 16 year old DS was too cool and too busy to come with us so he stayed home with his grandparents. I remember calling him one very hot, humid and sunny day from Typhoon Lagoon and telling him how absolutely wonderful the trip was going. Unfortunately that same day Ernesto hit the New York area and it was non-stop raining with very cool temps. Needless to say he will be joining us on our next trip to Disney in 2008. Can't wait!!!:mickey:

DisneyEpcotDad
05-04-2007, 05:10 PM
I basically let family members know that I've arrived safely, but don't call again while at DW. If I see a unique souvenir I buy it to bring back for a family member. :pizza:

pook@wdw
05-05-2007, 05:39 PM
We don't have that problem. We just take them w/us !!:haha: Seriously, we pity those that can't come w/us, so we D-mail them @ FW in Epcot. But we do usually go w/our family (all 9 of them)!:D

disneymom2000
05-05-2007, 06:10 PM
I usually call my family at the end of the day while I am sitting out on the balcony of my room and regale them with the exploits of my day.

LudwigVonDrake
05-05-2007, 10:18 PM
I have a few friends, who share my love of WDW, that I call from rides and try to keep them on the phone as long as I can during a ride and they do the same for me when they visit The World :mickey: