PDA

View Full Version : Advice, Please!

imaprincess!
05-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Can anyone recommend ways to get a ring off your finger?

My mom gave me her wedding band. I realized it was a little small for me, but wanted to see what it looked like, so I put it on and figured I could pull hard and it would come off. Guess what? It won't.

Now, of course, my finger is a little swollen above the band from me pulling on the ring. I've applied some ice to take the swelling down and am trying to not play with the ring. Now I'm feeling claustrophobic!

Is my only option to lose 10 lbs. so the ring will come off???? :fingers:

mrsgaribaldi
05-02-2007, 02:43 AM
You can try some lubricant, like Ky jelly, keep your hand elevated with the ice and then try the lubricant after a while. If that doesn't work, go to an ER. We usually cut them off in such a way that they can be repaired by a jeweler. Good luck:thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
05-02-2007, 04:01 AM
You know.. relaxing will help! If you just relax your hand, the muscles in your fingers won't be so rigid and you can get a little more room off.

KY is a start, even some vasiline if you have that lying around.

If you don't have either one.. crisco or any cooking oil might work!

Also, if you are retaining fluid, that could cause your hand do swell some more.. so.. lay off the salt!

If all else fails, the ER is probably the best place to go, as you don't want it too tight either. Just stay calm and relax, and that will help the situation.

merlinmagic4
05-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Oh no! I know that feeling..........I had mine cut off at a jewelery store. They then made it bigger for me! So, if you don't want a trip to the ER, you could try your local jeweler (if you trust them!).

Here we go again...
05-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Well, did you get it off?

January-2007
05-02-2007, 09:04 AM
I also went to a jewelry store to get a ring cut off. We had to go to a bunch of places just asking around if they could cut the ring off and we finally found a place. Good luck- I know how you must be feeling!

Donald A
05-02-2007, 11:11 AM
The ER should have a tool to cut the ring off.

DizneyRox
05-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Try Windex... If you were able to slide it on, you should be able to slide it off. I can't imagine a need to cut it off with such a short timeframe of it being on, but you never know.

Most jewelry stores have it on hand. It's useful for getting rings off as well as cleaning the glass display cases.

poeticeclipse
05-02-2007, 01:43 PM
How attached are you to your finger??:laughing:

Just kidding! :thumbsup:
Maybe... butter? I only have this idea from an episode of Full House where a boy that DJ is babysitting gets his head caught in the staircase railing. Later the kid's mom says "Go get some bread and wipe off your head.":D

Piglet822
05-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Maybe some dish soap?

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-05-2007, 11:54 PM
I work in a jewelry store part time and we ALWAYS use Windex when someone gets a ring stuck. People used to recommend hand cream or soap but Windex works like a charm.

And I always tell people, do NOT panic if it gets stuck because I swear that makes your finger grow 2 times larger. Let us know how you make out.

Marilyn Michetti
05-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Good luck. Be glad it didn't happen in a jewelry store. They might have made you stay there. Of course, they also might have gotten it off.:-o

Marilyn Michetti
05-06-2007, 04:36 PM
I was thinking about this in church, (I know......), but we had Mexican food last night, and my ring was tight this morning.

Lay off the salt for a couple of days, and if you're healthy, maybe an OTC diuretic. I'm not a Dr., but we used to keep Diurex around for "bloating" kind of days. The first thing I always noticed was my rings would be loose.

Hey, let us know what happens?
:secret:

imaprincess!
05-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm just checking in since I haven't logged on in a few days. We've been away and the ring is still attached. I'll try some of these recommendations and let yo :thumbsup: u know how it goes!

BrerGnat
05-07-2007, 10:53 PM
If nothing else works, go somewhere where you will get REALLY cold. One suggestion would be the freezer section of the grocery store (or one of those walk in beer coolers) dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. If you get cold enough, your blood will pool away from your extremities and towards your internal organs. This may help make your finger slimmer.

I notice that my rings FALL OFF when it's really cold outside and I'm shivering. Normally, they are a bit snug.

pianobabe
05-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Have you gotten it off yet? The only thing I can think of (besides Vaseline, butter, etc.) is soaking your hand in a sink full of ice water. Let us know what happens. I hope it works soon.

crazypoohbear
05-09-2007, 07:39 PM
I second the windex, cold and no salt. I swell up quite easily, my watch can go from being tight to hanging about 3/4 inches off my wrist in no time.
Stay really cool, don't panic and don't cut the ring unless you have to.

SBETigg
05-13-2007, 06:44 PM
I found this thread a bit late, but now I'm wondering if you got the ring off and how it worked out.