PDA

View Full Version : Knee Replacement May 21st. Any tips?

Here we go again...
05-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Well, it is time to do it... my doctor told me today that it is time for knee replacement. We were hoping that we could wait a little longer, (to lose some weight) but the pain has not let up since my surgery April 2nd.

I went to see her today because I have not slept at night for weeks. It actually hurts more at night than during the day. She said that I have what they call "at rest pain". once you get to that point it is because the bone is exposed and painful. She showed me an xray and you could see that the lateral side of my knee has no space between the bones... about a 90% loss. I also still have a bone spur under my knee cap that is causing pain in the upper knee. She was hoping that fixing the miniscus and shaving the bones would have given me some relief for a while... it didn't happen.
She did give me a cortisone injection in my knee and it is helping some. I am looking forward to sleeping tonight!!

So, for any of you that have had a knee replacement or know someone who has, what pointers do you have? I am scared to death... I always get anxious before a surgery, but this one really frightens me.

There are so many more people dealing with more than me... it feels kind of selfish to ask for prayers and pixie dust when part of our Intercot family is in a fight for their life. So, say your prayers for them first... and if you have any to spare, I will take them.

Dsnygirl
05-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Angel, I don't have any tips for you re: your upcoming surgery, but I wanted you to know I will send some prayers and :pixie: :pixie: your way - there are always enough prayers to go around!!
I used to work in the OR and have assisted on numerous knee replacement surgeries, and from that standpoint, I can tell you that the procedure is amazing, and afterwards all I've heard is how much better the patients have felt - both from the pain relief and from the new mobility they have. I am sure that you will feel so much better afterwards - that is definitely something to look forward to.

So - keep us posted on how you're doing - I'll be thinking of you on the 21st!! :)

drummerboy
05-02-2007, 07:36 AM
My mother has had both knees replaced over the last couple of months. She spent a week or more in a rehab facility each time (she's 80+). Be sure your home is set up right for when you get back--you'll need to do a lot of things differently during recovery. Ask your doctor if a therapist can come to your house before the surgery to check that out. (Example: Be sure you'll be able to get up out of whatever chairs you usually use.)

merlinmagic4
05-02-2007, 07:53 AM
I don't have any tips but I want to send best wishes for a successful surgery and easy recovery!!! I hope it ends your pain and you are feeling better very soon! Keep us updated! :pixie: :pixie:

DVC2004
05-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Prayers and pixie dust for you Angel! It will be so wonderful for you to be pain free after all you've been through with your knees.

Here we go again...
05-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys, you are all so wonderful. :cloud9:

I did sleep a little better last night, I only woke up about 5 times and was able to fall back to sleep pretty quicky. I guess the shot did help.

I am spending every day in the pool exercising in hopes of strengthening (sp?) my muscles in my legs. I am going to try very hard to get back on feet as soon as possible. I have a trip to Disney World planned in July!!! It would be wonderful if I could be pain free for that trip. :mickey:

MsMin
05-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Angel I don't know anyone who has had knee replacement but a friend of my parents (she stayed here after Katrina) had a hip replacement before the storm and she was 79 and it was amazing how fast she recovered and how well she could move.
If I had to pick I would rather surgery outside of the peritinium. Sending loads of :pixie: :pixie: and prayers for your surgery. I hope this will be the last one for a while and that you will feel like dancing all through WDW in July. :pixie:

Marilyn Michetti
05-02-2007, 09:51 AM
I've had both mine replaced, and it's the best thing I ever did. The first one was 10 years ago, and it's still in great shape, the second was eight years ago. The surgery has gotten so much easier in the past few years - one surgeon makes the incision from behind right along the "ugly" line, and the patients heal so much faster.

Rehab is the key. You just have to brace yourself and DO IT ! It's not as hard as it will seem your second post operative day, when they get you out of bed to walk on your new knee. By the time you go home in about three days, you'll know that you CAN do it. Don't worry about the knee - it will be the best money can buy. It's the muscles, and tendons that will hurt for a couple of weeks. Stretching and bending will take care if that. The only thing you won't be able to do is kneel or jump off anything.

Today, they expect the knee to last up to 20 years, and you'll be so happy you did it.

PLEASE keep us posted. We're all behind you, and I can say personally, YOU"LL DO FINE !:D

JanetMegan
05-02-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm so gald someone posted this. My grandmother is looking at possible hip replacement at 80 years old and I am so nervous for her. She is very inactive, but shots have not helped and she cannot sleep for more than an hour or so at a time.

My 80+ great uncle had his knee done last summer and he did wonderfully. He was amazed how much better the pain level was than before the surgery!

kakn7294
05-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Rehab is the key. You just have to brace yourself and DO IT ! It's not as hard as it will seem your second post operative day, when they get you out of bed to walk on your new knee. By the time you go home in about three days, you'll know that you CAN do it. Don't worry about the knee - it will be the best money can buy. It's the muscles, and tendons that will hurt for a couple of weeks. Stretching and bending will take care if that. The only thing you won't be able to do is kneel or jump off anything.

Today, they expect the knee to last up to 20 years, and you'll be so happy you did it.
This is exactly what I was going to tell you! I've never had a joint replaced, but I am a nurse so I do have experience with the hospital portion of the recovery. The 3 things that are most important to a successful recovery are: a positive attitude (even better if you have a good faith in God), rehab, and keeping the post-op pain manageable - take pain meds before the pain gets too bad, this makes it easier to keep it moving. It will hurt to move it but you have to keep it moving to keep the muscles and tendons loose so the knee can heal properly. Good luck to you! :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Piglet822
05-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Angel, I'm so sorry to hear that you're still in so much pain and you'll have to go thru the surgery but in the long run you'll be happy you did.
Sending lots of :pixie: and :hug: for you.
I'll see you in July!!!

SgtTigger
05-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Ok Angel I hope you feel better.......

You want me to come up for a week after the surgery????

I am sure it will help you heal.....

I could BBQ for you... do you have a pit?????

:cop: :tigger:

Nascfan
05-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Angel, sending loads of :pixie: for you and your upcoming knee replacement. I'm sure you'll be feeling much better once it's done. Hang in there, you're doing good strength exercising beforehand. :hug:

Here we go again...
05-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Ok Angel I hope you feel better.......

You want me to come up for a week after the surgery????

I am sure it will help you heal.....

I could BBQ for you... do you have a pit?????

You would give up your Disney trip for me??? Oh how thoughtful!
Just remember, when you are in Disney World it would be really mean to make the Ha, HA, I'm here and you are not call....

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.
I am getting a little scared. I always do before surgery. I have been reading up on the knee replacement so I know things will be much better in the long run.

And, yes, I will make it to Disney World in July!!! That is what is going to make me recover fast!!!!

drummerboy
05-03-2007, 10:29 AM
I could BBQ for you... do you have a pit?????[/COLOR]
Whoa Angel, don't fall for that one unless you need intense heat therapy. We've seen what Bret can do with a barbecue pit!

Mickey'sGirl
05-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Angel -- as you know my mom has had everything replaced. Her advice is advance and post op physio. We were little when she had her knees done, and she said that having to get up and go with 4 little kids was the best therapy around! :D This was about 25-30 years ago -- but the therapist provided my mom with a machine that supported her under her knee, and it repeatedly bent and straightened the knee at certain rate for a set amount of time. This was increased etc. She was home after 4 days! My mom is extremely thankful for each of her joint replacements and the freedom they gave her. Hopefully thinking of the benefits will alleviate some of your fears. :pixie:

Will you have any in home support after you check out? I know that one was provided to our home through the Arthritis Society each time Mom had surgery for a certain number of hours each day. Does such a thing exist anymore?

Good luck with everything! I am thinking of you! :mickey:

Piglet822
05-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Just remember, when you are in Disney World it would be really mean to make the Ha, HA, I'm here and you are not call....

You know, that's what I love about Bret! He's so thoughtful of others. So, if he gives up his week at Disney that means Sherrie, Angel and I can have a girls week at Disney. Angel, I think you'd recover faster with a Dole Whip :D
I can make the obligatory "HA HA I'm at Disney World and you're not" call. I'm getting quite good at it. Just ask Bret. I called him last week from the TTC :D

SgtTigger
05-03-2007, 07:49 PM

Oh sorry that would be the week before my trip....... Not the week of my trip....Oh and since you will be recovering... I am sure you will have the phone handy and I can call often to let you know where I am and what I am doing.......

You know, that's what I love about Bret! He's so thoughtful of others. So, if he gives up his week at Disney that means Sherrie, Angel and I can have a girls week at Disney. Angel, I think you'd recover faster with a Dole Whip :D
I can make the obligatory "HA HA I'm at Disney World and you're not" call. I'm getting quite good at it. Just ask Bret. I called him last week from the TTC :D

No I am not letting you Sherrie and Angel get together alone any time....... Lets remember we will be seeing each other real soon like in 29 days..... So choose your words wisely.... :plot: :funny: and yes I do remember the phone call from the TTC.... I also heard you got stuck on the TTA..... :fresh:

:trio:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-03-2007, 09:31 PM
the therapist provided my mom with a machine that supported her under her knee, and it repeatedly bent and straightened the knee at certain rate for a set amount of time. Does such a thing exist anymore?

I was just going to mention this. It is called a CPM machine. Continous Passive Motion Machine and it is a awesome. Painful at times, but makes recovery so much faster. My surgeon had one delivered to my house three days before my reconstruction so that I would have that and my brace immediatley.
Also, do you have or have you ever heard of an IceMan Cold Therapy machine?? Google one. That is a life saver. I still use mine a year later. No leaky ice bags to worry about.
Best of Luck with your surgery and recovery. I hope everything goes smoothly and you are pain free soon!!!

Here we go again...
05-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Also, do you have or have you ever heard of an IceMan Cold Therapy machine?? Google one. That is a life saver. I still use mine a year later. No leaky ice bags to worry about.

Do you know my sister had one of these and just sold it on Ebay about 6 months ago?? She was telling me how wonderful it was then said, "too bad I sold mine".

Will you have any in home support after you check out? I know that one was provided to our home through the Arthritis Society each time Mom had surgery for a certain number of hours each day. Does such a thing exist anymore?
According to the doctor I will be in the hospital bout 4 days then have home health care. I have been going to the pool to exercise 3-4 times a week. It is painful even in water so I have a hard time going.
You said your mom had hers done over 20 years ago... is she starting to see signs of wear? I did not think the joints would last that long. This is pretty nice to hear...

Mickey'sGirl
05-04-2007, 10:26 AM
You said your mom had hers done over 20 years ago... is she starting to see signs of wear? I did not think the joints would last that long. This is pretty nice to hear...Her knees over 25 and she had both her hips done over 30 years ago, and the right one is now just starting to show signs of fatigue. I think they are pretty hearty!! Good luck with everything! I hope you find some relief!!

Kate In Wonderland
05-04-2007, 10:40 AM
~Angel~
I'm so sorry you have to go through this, but I have every confidence in the world that you will be so happy you did it!

My dad had his hip replaced a few years ago about a month before my wedding. Before he had it done, he could barely walk, and by the time my wedding rolled around, he was practically skipping next to me down the aisle and he was a dancing machine at the reception! He said it is by far the best thing he's ever done in his life.

I think it's great that you're going in the water to try to stregthen it. That will help tremendously! And remember to stick with your rehab too!!!

Also, I know you are nervous sweetheart, but keep in mind that these surgeons do this EVERY SINGLE DAY. I work in the OR at a hospital in Boston and I have assisted on many surgeries. I know firsthand that these surgeons love putting their years of training to good use to help people live better lives. Just keep your thoughts on that Disney trip in July! And remember that we are all sending prayers and pixie dust your way. You'll be good as new!!! :thumbsup:
:tink: :tink: :tink: :tink:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Do you know my sister had one of these and just sold it on Ebay about 6 months ago?? She was telling me how wonderful it was then said, "too bad I sold mine".

That stinks!!! A friend of mine had recommended I get one and I am so thankful I did. My Surgeon was able to have it covered through insurance. I know they are expensive.

I wish I still did not use mine, I would send it to you!!:(

princessjojo
05-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Just the other day I sat in with one of the best ortho. docs in our area while he did a bilateral knee replacement. He knew that if she did them one knee at a time at her age, she wouldn't come back for the second knee, knowing how her pain tolerance was. She admitted to it and was glad afterwards that she did both at the same time.

It was amazing to see whre the quality of the new knees are today and how they do this surgery. Like a stainless Black & Decker tool set. The big thing is to get up and move, even in the smallest amounts. And The sooner the better. As well, as Kathy mentioned earlier, don't let your pain get too far before taking something to help it back off. I had to write a paper on the procedure and used a website I found to help me with some of the details. If you would like, you can PM me and I will give you the details of the surgery and what the components look like pre-op.

Best of luck!!! It should be a piece of cake.

Here we go again...
05-05-2007, 08:32 PM
I wish my doctor would do both knees at the same time... I know I am messing up my other knee because I am walking so funky. She really did not want to do this one until I was older so I better count my blessings.

I went to weigh in at Weight Watchers today and I lost 4.2 pounds this week... 10 pounds so far. That means 10 pounds off my knees! I figure every ounce off will help the recovery.

pianobabe
05-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Every little bit helps with this type of surgery. As soon as the doc's give you the go ahead to start moving do it. Don't be afraid to ask for pain medication. If you know when you are going to have physical therapy, make sure you get the medicine. The more you are able to relax and let the medicine work, the more/better you are going to do with the rehab. Take one day at a time. As you are walking, think about walking up Main Street in MK and all the sites you pass. It will be difficult at first, but stick with it. The best scenario I have come up with in dealing with my surgical patient's is: If you have ever had your foot "fall asleep", you know it hurts like crazy when you first start moving it; but once you start moving, the better it feels. You will be amazed once the initial surgical pain goes away how much better your knee feels.

Rhonda

P.S. It is never selfish to ask for prayer's. Mine are with you and your surgeon.

kingsimbabear
05-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Don't worry! Everything will be fine! I am an outpatient physical therapist and knee replacements are my favorite patients! As long as you have the proper rehab (and the CPM machine previously mentioned), you should be great shape.

I just discharged a 72 year old man with a bilateral knee replacement in only a month and he was able to resume all of his duties on his horse farm and walking almost 2 miles per day without difficulty. Amazing! Although, not all of my patients progress this quickly. Usually, the whole rehab process takes about 3 months. However, you should be walking around just fine after 2 months for your WDW trip. Just be prepared for the hard work ahead of you. Good luck!

If you have any other questions or concerns, ask your doctor. I can also answer any therapy related questions you may have.

Marilyn Michetti
05-07-2007, 07:34 PM
I forgot about the Passive Continuous Motion machine. It was GREAT ! You can control the amount of flexation, (if that's a real word), and it would just lull me into sleep, along with the medication. I got to have it at home for two weeks,and I really didn't want to give it back. :D

Belle619
05-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Well, I don't have any advice that wasn't already mentioned, but I just wanted to add that knee replacement has become so common and the docs do so many - I'm sure it will go fine!

I work with Ortho docs and I have to say that they all comment on how the patients tell them in the recovery room that they feel so much better already. You won't have the constant bone pain anymore, and while you'll be sore from surgery, you'll notice a difference right away.

My dad just had total hip replacement three weeks ago and he is up and around and walking better than he has in years! I'm so glad he did it because he, like youself I'm sure, was too young to be disabled by the pain!

Good luck! :pixie:

Here we go again...
05-14-2007, 09:14 AM
In just 1 week from today.....
I will have my new knee!!!
I am actually looking forward to the surgery now. The pain has been unbearable many days... I am looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. I spoke to my SIL Saturday. She had a hip replacement done a year ago. She is doing great and is very happy that she had the surgery.

I managed to pull a muscle or something in my lower back. I had a massage and the therapist said it is probably from limping so much. The bad thing is that my left leg goes numb when ever I am flat on my back. Not the whole leg... just the thigh.... It is pretty painful though. It does not go completly numb, it is that pins and needles kind of numb. I sure hope it gets better soon. I hate to think that I will be flat on my back for a week after the surgery and will have this problem too.

Mickey'sGirl
05-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Great attitude Angel!! Thanks for keeping us posted...I think about you every day! Extra :pixie: to get you through the week!! :thumbsup: