PDA

View Full Version : WDW Marathon - Effect on Parks

Aggie97
05-01-2007, 11:06 PM
It's our 10th anniversary on January 10, 2008, so we were thinking of spending it (Jan. 10-15) at WDW. I understand that the WDW Marathon events are January 10-13, though. Has anyone been there during past Marathon events? What kind of effect did you find they had on the parks, crowds, etc.?

Thanks very much!! :mickey:

Melanie
05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
DO IT! The marathon events have very little effect on crowd size that weekend, and the week after is heavenly! We've done both the week before the marathon, and the week after, and the week after is definitely the better week crowd-wise.

Epcot is the park that is affected the most, as it is the start and finish line for both the full marathon on Sunday and half marathon on Saturday. My advice is just to avoid Epcot until afternoon during the weekend. Also, Sunday morning can be kind of hectic at MGM, as it is the last park the runners go through before heading to the finish at Epcot. They go through the Magic Kingdom first, so it's normally clear by park opening since the races start at 6am (I believe).

Transportation can be kinda tricky as well, with the busses having to take alternate routes.

DisneyMomma23
05-02-2007, 12:41 AM
we've gone during the marathon and it didn't seem to affect the parks at all. i agree with melanears that it is a wonderful time to visit the parks, not only crowd-wise but weather wise as well (the week we were there it was between 60-70 every day). we were at MGM while the runners were heading through and it was great getting to stand on the sidelines cheering them on! :thumbsup:

Melanie
05-02-2007, 05:42 AM
weather wise as well (the week we were there it was between 60-70 every day).

Well, that can be a toss-up. I'd prepare for anything! Last year, we froze to death the first part of the week. Seriously, it was in the 40s the morning of the marathon. :freeze: By mid-week week though, it had warmed up nicely.