PDA

View Full Version : golf cart price, worth it?

DestinationWDW
05-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Just called, just now to reserve golf cart for our upcoming August trip. According to a lot of you here on this site, it is a must when staying in the cabins. I was just informed that the current price is $47.00/day!!!:-o With this amount of money we could upgrade to a deluxe! Is the golf cart really worth it? Are the internal buses really that bad? Please advise and thank-you in advance!:mickey:

AuntLaura
05-01-2007, 08:28 PM
No, the golf carts are not a must. The buses are fine. I used to look askance at the people who had golf carts, because the transportation is fine. With a little one with us and the stroller, the golf cart is a real luxury, not having to lug it on the bus. We also bring bikes if we can when we drive down. Having a bike or golf cart just eliminates the need to wait for a bus. Sit back, use the buses and don't worry about it.

faline
05-02-2007, 05:41 AM
I've stayed in the campground a number of times and have yet to rent a golf cart. Taking the buses worked just fine for us!

dizne4me
05-02-2007, 08:20 AM
The bus system in Ft. Wilderness is just fine; however, everytime we stay at Ft. Wilderness we rent the golf cart - but not because of the busses - we have 4 kids with us and they like to run around the resort on the golf cart. My DH and I like to get up early in the morning and take the golf cart down to Trail's End for breakfast (yum-yum) and then go out for a spin on the golf cart--we always end up getting lost and then we have to call the kids so they can direct us back to the cabin.:cool:

ibrowse17
05-02-2007, 09:34 AM
No, the buses are not that bad. I am not sure why people keep thinking that. We have only rented carts a couple of times over the years, but I must say I really do enjoy having a cart. It does make things easier for transportation, but I really enjoy the freedom it gives you to cruise around FW and check out the other loops and site decorations. While not a "must", it is something you should try.:thumbsup:

FloridaTeacher
05-02-2007, 05:03 PM
No way am I paying that kind of price. :shake: We go to the Fort at least once or twice a year and we have never rented a golf cart. We walk, ride our bikes, or catch a bus. No problem!:D

Happy Camping
21 Days til I'm back at the Fort!!!!:thumbsup:

CU Tiger
05-03-2007, 09:41 PM
It is not a must, but it does add so much flexibility in our stay. The buses are good, but being able to come and go without waiting is great. We like to make several trips to and from the pool or just go on joy rides for fun. You just have to make the decision if it is worth it or not for your budget. For us, it is worth it. :mickey:

mickey98
05-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Everybody has their own opinion on the golf carts, some will say I'm not paying that kind of money, some will say that it's worth it, some will say no need, some will say they won't stay at the fort without one. We take our own so price is not an issue. However, the need depends on your routine. Yes they are a luxury and not a need. But they sure do come in handy when you don't want to wait for the internal buses, especially if there is along wait at the bus stops.. You might want to check into the weekly rate.. It will save you some $$$$..

DestinationWDW
05-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Just called, just now to reserve golf cart for our upcoming August trip. According to a lot of you here on this site, it is a must when staying in the cabins. I was just informed that the current price is $47.00/day!!!:-o With this amount of money we could upgrade to a deluxe! Is the golf cart really worth it? Are the internal buses really that bad? Please advise and thank-you in advance!:mickey:

Thanks everyone, we have reserved one for now, figured its easier to cancel if we decide against it. I think the kids will have a blast with it. :thedolls:

sly1
05-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Although they are not a necessity, they are very convenient as others have stated. The internal buses are ok but sometimes you do have to wait up to 15 minutes. We always rent one although I think they are overpriced at $47 a day but they do frequently sell out so if anyone is considering renting one reserve it well in advance. My reasoning on the carts is I am spending at least $3500 to $4000 while I'm there anyway; what's another $350. We also take pleasure rides around the resort.

Not2Loud
05-10-2007, 10:23 AM
We rented one for several days while in a cabin in Feb of this year. The cart was great! DD3 and I would ride around while mom was in the cabin scrapbooking or napping. It made for a lot of fun. It was also convenient when wanting to go down to the docks to catch the boat to MK.

With that said, the buses work just fine. If you are impatient like myself, well it may drive you nuts. It took us an hour to get from the 2100 loop to MGM one day...I thought my DD3 was going to fall asleep!!

If it fits in your budget, the cart is well worth it. Or as others have said, if you can take your own bicycles, they will work just fine as well.

TinkInTraining
05-14-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm on both sides of the fence on this one.

My DH insists on getting a golf cart when we stay at FW. We stay at a prefered site and the golf cart costs nearly as much as the site!

$495 for our stay and $400 for the cart!

BUT there are benefits, DH likes to get up earlier than everyone else and go and get a coffee or just take his fishing pole down to the water. If one of the girls is up he takes them along for the ride.

When I have to do laundry I just load up the cart and go, swimming, store run, etc. Mark and I have taken the cart out at night for a little late night stroll without the girls, we've gone down and watched the fireworks, etc.

So, in the end, the golf cart does two things. One is freedom from having to wait, which we do so much of at WDW anyway...and two is makes DH happy. And, since he's the one pulling the camper we WANT to make him happy so he BRINGS US BACK!!!

Vanlandingham
05-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Whether or not its worth it is always up for debate. All I know is that we just called and reserved a cart for a week starting this coming thursday, so I'm excited! Only about 74 hours till we arrive!:number1:

DNS
05-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Hubby thinks the golf carts are a waste of money, but I really like having one while there. To me, it just gives more freedom, but we run from the campground to the parks and other Disney places so much with each stay. I love just being able to jump on the golf cart and take off. If we were trying to save money on a trip though, it would be the first thing I'd cut out. Hope that helps.

tungpo1
05-24-2007, 06:28 AM
I agree the carts are expensive but how the heck can you stay at the campground and not have a cart. I started building carts and I bring my own behind my coach, heres a pic I have tons more pictures I will post over the years we have been going. We go around 6 to 10 times a year, I'm only about 3 hours south of Orlando.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/tungpo1/untitled.jpg

DestinationWDW
05-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the pic - very cool! :number1: Am excited for trip coming soon in August and found it is not as expensive to get a basic cart - no roof or windshield - only $300 for the week. Thought about the just turning 4 year old getting off the boat coming from MK all tuckered out and sleeping in my arms with masses of people trying to get on busses :( .....Cart seems pretty :cloud9: in that situation!!!!! Thanks for all the input everyone!:thumbsup:

tungpo1
05-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Golf carts rule!!!!!!!! here are some pics of mine.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/tungpo1/HPIM1235.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/tungpo1/BigRed.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/tungpo1/GREENCARuse.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/tungpo1/HPIM0873.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/tungpo1/DaveCart003.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/tungpo1/ccblu01007.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/tungpo1/HPIM1419.jpg

tungpo1
06-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Rippin it up!!!!!!!:thedolls:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/tungpo1/31_HPIM1155_1.jpg

Erica9901
06-15-2007, 04:25 PM
*Cool golf carts!*

Hi everyone,
We are staying in the cabins on our next trip (Jan 08, not booked yet) and are going to rent a cart. I have a few questions for anyone who can answer-

1) when you drive to the docks to catch the boat (or to the bus station to go to Epcot or wherever), where do you leave your cart and how do you get it when you came back?

2) how do you charge the battery up if you are staying a week or so? Do you have to return the GC or can you keep it overnight at your cabin?

3) Where can you actually drive it to, do you just drive around the camp ground, to the pool and stuff?

Thanks in advance,
Erica

TinkInTraining
06-18-2007, 12:34 PM
*Cool golf carts!*

1) when you drive to the docks to catch the boat (or to the bus station to go to Epcot or wherever), where do you leave your cart and how do you get it when you came back?

2) how do you charge the battery up if you are staying a week or so? Do you have to return the GC or can you keep it overnight at your cabin?

3) Where can you actually drive it to, do you just drive around the camp ground, to the pool and stuff?

1. they have parking areas for bikes and golf carts...

2. you plug your cart in at your site every night for a recharge. As long as you pay for it you keep it.

3. you can drive it anywhere on FW property only. the store, the pool, the beach, the restraunt, the boat, etc.

hokies4life
06-18-2007, 01:39 PM
The cart parking areas by the dock and by trails end also have outlets to plug in your carts if you would rather plug it in while at the parks. There are no outlets at the front parking lot where the buses come for Epcot, AK, DTD and waterparks, though.