PDA

View Full Version : Overlooked "things" that are must see or must do's for you

Disneyatic
05-01-2007, 05:19 PM
On our next trip we are going to try to take some time to "stop and smell the roses" and I was wondering what suggestions everyone had for those sometimes overlooked "hidden gems" that they made a point to look for every time. At parks or resorts!

I have heard about the secret walkway from ToonTown to Tomorrowland, where is this?
I looked at the list on info central but was wondering what everyone else does or looks for.:high5: :listen:

Thanks for the info, I am going to add it all to my home made trip guide!

dolphinmickey9170
05-01-2007, 05:50 PM
I have heard about the secret walkway from ToonTown to Tomorrowland, where is this?
I looked at the list on info central but was wondering what everyone else does or looks for.:high5: :listen:

Thanks for the info, I am going to add it all to my home made trip guide!

The secret walkway is along the train tracks. Once you get off the train in toontown, walk toward the front of the train and continue along the same way the train goes. It is a quiet path, tucked out of the way. It is a very quiet place to "get away" from the crowd. I have pix of a rabbit sitting and munching some clover. Imagine all that hustle and bustle in the parks and there is this little bunny having lunch. He/she never moved...just sat there watching me and eating.

LovinWDW
05-01-2007, 10:07 PM
We always have to get a shaved ice in EPCOT. They are located in the Japan Pavillion of world showcase. It is just a small cart so you can miss it if your not looking for it. They have the best flavors, strawberry, honeydew and tangerine. Get the rainbow to try all 3!:thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
05-01-2007, 10:19 PM
I love Fairytale Garden where Belle comes several times a day to act out her story with some audience participation!:mickey:

Christine
05-01-2007, 10:20 PM
We always go to the movie theater in the back of Exposition Hall and watch a few cartoons.

It's cool, quiet, and a comfy chair!

glenpreece
05-01-2007, 10:33 PM
I love to go to the back of Expo hall and get some pics with the standees. It a perfect photo op free from heat and lines and noise.

Mikey Piano 23
05-01-2007, 10:39 PM
When I stayed at POFQ last year people were getting a horse and buggy ride. I think that would be a great topper to an evening after a nice dinner out.

Aggie97
05-01-2007, 10:48 PM
On our last trip, we took a really nice, quiet nighttime walk from the Polynesian to the Grand Floridian. The view of the MK castle (and fireworks) from the Poly beach is great, too.

BrerSchultzy
05-02-2007, 08:52 AM
I second the cartoons at Expo Hall. And the shaved ice in Japan.

My number one favorite "hidden gem" that I don't hear talked about all that much is the Rose Garden in England. Very quiet...good music...fish and chips and :beer: just a few steps away...in fact, I'm surprised I ever end up doing anything else.

But, for my money, there is nothing like people watching...especially outside the big attractions. Splash Mountain, and the set of stairs, offers an unexpected challenge to the "guidebook" tourists...not that they fall down or anything (although they sometimes do, and I am often the only one to offer help, because everyone else just noticed their FP time come up for Splash)...but they are often VERY confused, because there aren't steps anywhere else in MK...so HUGE bunches of people will stand at the top or the bottom, wondering if they're going the right way...and then arguing...ahhh vacation. Now THAT'S a hidden gem.

darthmacho
05-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Exploring the home resort on the arrival day is a must. No need to get to a park that day, for as far as I'm concerned, the resorts are wonderful attractions themselves.

I don't know if it is overlooked, but wine and a pastry from France is a must for me.

Some attractions like Country Bears, Tiki Room, and CoP are perhaps taken for granted too. :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
05-02-2007, 09:29 AM
DH loves to go up the steps behind Japan and look at the Koi fish. We have a pond at home, and he "talks" to those dumb fish, and feels so bad when he finds a dead one.

He also studies the trains in Germany. They are amazing.

I love the English Tea Garden. Just sitting there calms your mind.:)

Mickey91
05-02-2007, 10:05 AM
We enjoy walking through the Canada trail. It has beautiful waterfalls and their circle vision show is a must see. Also, check out the trains at Germany.

At MK we enjoy taking the out of the way walkways. Going over the bridges between Crystal Palce and Adventureland and Liberty Square, the walkway between Tomorrowland and Toontown Fair, and the walkway between the Castle and Liberty Square.

I can't remeber what it is called now, but the Ice Station Cool at EPCOT is awesome. (They changed the name and took away the igloo but it is still there near innoventions) You can sample, for free, different sodas from around the world. It is a great way to get hydrated while trying something different.

SBETigg
05-02-2007, 10:12 AM
In the MK: Not sure it's overlooked, but we love to take breaks from rushing to "bigger" attractions by riding the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. It's never crowded and it's so relaxing and fun.

In Epcot: A lot of countries (France, Italy, Germany) offer winetastings that are informative, fun, and not very expensive. It's a great way to explore and learn unexpected new things about the countries through their wines, and through the server.

AK: The trails! Again, not really overlooked, but so many people skip them in favor of rides and what a shame. We love them.

c&d
05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
We found this by accident a couple of weeks ago. When we left the Hoop de Doo review they had a hay ride. When we got on the driver said this was the fireworks ride. We rode around and he then parked on the beach looking towards the MK. They piped in the music from Wishes. It was great, sitting on the hayride and watching the fireworks. There were only about 8 of us on the ride.

battle beast
05-02-2007, 10:30 AM
He also studies the trains in Germany. They are amazing.

Which trains?:confused:

battle beast
05-02-2007, 10:33 AM
We always go to the movie theater in the back of Exposition Hall and watch a few cartoons.

Call me whatever, but... :confused: ... Where is Expo hall?

Disneyatic
05-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Thank you so much to everyone for all the suggestions and tips so far!
I am writing them all down in my trip notes.
I am especially interested in all the out of the way paths and walkways, we will be looking for these on the trip!

Keep them coming!

BrerSchultzy
05-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Call me whatever, but... :confused: ... Where is Expo hall?

Which trains?:confused:

Expo hall is at the entrance of MK, right next to Tony's.

The Trains are just outside of the German Pavilion, on the Italy side of Germany. It's a huge toy train village. Quite a sight to see.

poeticeclipse
05-02-2007, 11:08 AM
On our last trip we decided that we would go to Downtown Disney for the first time ever. We found lots of neat things... I'm not sure if regular DTD goers would say that these things are "overlooked gems" but I sure think they are!

The super cheap alley gift shop and the really interesting parrot show are wonderful. I could spend forever in that gift shop!

battle beast
05-02-2007, 11:13 AM
The Trains are just outside of the German Pavilion, on the Italy side of Germany. It's a huge toy train village. Quite a sight to see.

Are they new? I don't recall them when I went in October... :confused:

Hmm, I really have to check this out now!

battle beast
05-02-2007, 11:15 AM
The super cheap alley gift shop and the really interesting parrot show are wonderful. I could spend forever in that gift shop!

I keep posting to this post becasue I am so excited about my upcomming trip!!!

Anyway, where is the super cheap gift shop? (Always :confused:)

biodtl
05-02-2007, 11:31 AM
They were there in early October when I was there. I think they are easy to miss, especially if there is a crowd. They are outside, built into a landscaped hillside. If there were a lot of people crowding around the railing, you would never even notice them.

CarolinaWDWFan
05-02-2007, 11:37 AM
This may be a little weird, but the que for Philharmagic really sets the mood for me. Not the line, but the room where you get the glasses. The lighting and atmosphere just seems so far from the reality of everyday life...not that every day life is bad, but a nice break from the norm.

Hayden's Dad
05-02-2007, 11:53 AM
I'd have to say the Oasis in Animal Kingdom, first thing in the morning. It's fun just to meander through while everyone else rushes off to the rides and doesn't even look at the different animals through there. Also we like to walk the trails around the Tree of Life and find as many carved animals as possible.

Mackflava99
05-02-2007, 12:01 PM
I find i appreciate it more when i do see the things tucked away.

Here are some more-

Walking from the Beach club or Boardwalk to Epcot- take the Lower path near the water-
No crowd, quiet and a very different view of Epcot-

At Magic Kingdom- if you can get to Tom Sawyer island early enough before the crowds come. You have alot of time in between boatloads...My kids love the fort

I agree the tea Garden at Epcot is great, very calm..

At the Wilderness lodge- waking up and taking the walk to fort Wilderness is a wildlife adventure- deer, armadillo, birds, rabbits, pheasant etc...

Hall of Presidents too- its never too crowded, but cool and great to see

poeticeclipse
05-02-2007, 12:39 PM
I keep posting to this post becasue I am so excited about my upcomming trip!!!

Anyway, where is the super cheap gift shop? (Always :confused:)

Here's a brief discription...
Mickey's Mart-"Everything Ten Dollars and Under"
Unique gifts, surprise grab bags and highlighted item of the week, all at value pricing

As far as where it is... I do believe that it is next to Rainforest Cafe (kind of) and across from the Gourmet Pantry in the Marketplace. Hopefully I got this right... if I did not somenoe please correct me!:mickey:

Figgyluv03
05-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Just sitting by the wishing well in MK taking in the sites and smells!

sneadhead
05-03-2007, 05:43 PM
if you have kids then you can go to any store i think and find this like hidden mickey book to where they can look for those mickies everywhere rides hotels...etc

PetefromRI
05-03-2007, 08:21 PM
We love Rafiikis Planet Watch in AK.It's one of those overlooked attractions .First you take the train ride to Conservation Station and then you walk a real peaceful path to a small museum that has all kinds of neat things to see and hear.Take the time to enjoy this attraction,you won't be sorry.

Shugoondola
05-03-2007, 10:51 PM
I love to get a margarita in the Mexico pavilion in Epcot, then walk over to Future World, find a shady spot, sit and listen to the music. :cloud9:

:mickey:

ldc12377
05-04-2007, 09:06 AM
One overlooked thing that I never thought would be overlooked is the monorail. I had some friends that went to WDW and never rode it. I haven't been since I was a kid but that will definitely be something I do early and often during my trip. I must say it was always one of my favorite "rides". I also plan to drive to Magic Kingdom at least once so I can ride the parking lot tram. My brother and I always had so much fun trying to remember where we parked. and yes, in case you are wondering, I AM very easily entertained!!
I'm just so excited to finally be going back to WDW after so many years.... 22 Days!!!:party:

mudpuppysmom
05-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Are they new? I don't recall them when I went in October... :confused:

Hmm, I really have to check this out now!

No, they're not new.....they have been there for a while. If you are walking through WS and the lake is on your left the train exhibit would be on your right as you get to the German pavilion. Just look for a bunch of little kids (some big ones too) congregating and that's probably it.....There is a black railing that goes in front of it and there is also a little pathway between the village that is set up. DS could spend HOURS there......I mean HOURS!!!!

We also have started to walk through the rose garden at MK below the castle.....there are really no people that are around, so we stop and smell quite a few roses on our walk!!

TTA is also a place we enjoy! DS even calls it the People Mover.....he likes to see all of Tomorrowland.

I could go on and on.....our whole trip we do things out of the ordinary along with the ordinary!

autumn
05-04-2007, 05:36 PM
i love the walk around canada.

also the walk around the far reaches of morrocco - i find i can really lose myself in there, pretending that i really am far away, and NOBODY is ever there. you can go inside all the doors (there's a house, a little art museum), and it's cool and quiet. so many doorways. i love it.

the last time i was at mgm, i stayed pretty late after it closed, just walking around and enjoying the magical atmosphere. it was awesome, and nobody asked me to leave until i had been there for about an hour.

walking the torchlit paths at the polynesian is great at night. their beach is always empty then, and they have hammocks you can relax in.

celebrationasheley
05-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Mr. Toad in the Pet Cemetery at Haunted Mansion.
I like my rice pudding at Kringla Bakery in Norway.
Or watermelon slushy next to the villians store on the way to Tower of Terror! I want one now!:mickey:

dumbo ears
05-04-2007, 06:21 PM
one thing I love to do is eat at the sleepy hollow at the MK. this is pretty common but its always a must for me.

Wolf
05-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Everyone should try a candied apple from the villians store at mgm they are excelent! plus its the funnest thing cause mom will only eat alittle bit of it but she always takes a picture of me with the red stuff from chin to forehead!

Tink#64
05-04-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm sure everyone will think I'm weird, but I'm a people watcher & one of my favorite things is to be the first one up, go to the food court & grab a couple of cups of coffe & sit by the pool in the morning. I love to watch everyone starting their day. All three times that we've stayed at Pop, there is a family of ducks. They swim in the pool every morning before the man that cleans the pool encourages them to leave. I always find my self talking to other guests & enjoy watching the other early risers & the CM's going about with their jobs. It's such a quiet and peacful way for me to start the day - before all the hustle & bustle begins!

As a family - we've discovered that we love using the water transportation! We did this for the first time on our trip last year - we actually used the boats three times & thought it was such a different & beautiful view & put a different perspective on the lay of the land or "World" should I say?!:cloud9:

KAJUNKING
05-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Exploring the home resort on the arrival day is a must. No need to get to a park that day, for as far as I'm concerned, the resorts are wonderful attractions themselves.

I don't know if it is overlooked, but wine and a pastry from France is a must for me.

Some attractions like Country Bears, Tiki Room, and CoP are perhaps taken for granted too. :mickey:

i love cop and tiki room, but i dont think ive been to country bears since before my honeymoon, so my wife and kids have never seen it, it will be on my must do list for our trip in sept :thumbsup:

KAJUNKING
05-05-2007, 12:50 AM
i have never done this before, but on our next trip my mother had me make adrs at ohana righ before wishes, from what she tells me you can watch the fireworks and they play all the music from the show, i cant wait :mickey:

HereWeGO
05-05-2007, 05:18 AM
First Post Ever! :party:
On our last trip, my wife and I threw away what was left of our dignity (not sure how much we had to start with...), and did all the Kidcot stops in WS. We got a mask each, which we sat and coloured in a bit in each of the first few countries (until they were completed masterpieces :artist: ), collected the "dangle" things and stamps for each country! We even got our names written in exotic languages!

It was a fantastic way to see world showcase, and meet people from each country, and of course we still have the masks- souvenirs with real memories that money can't buy!

Oh, and it's FREE! :thumbsup:

Sharon1026
05-05-2007, 08:48 AM
At the end of the day, my favorite ride is the bus - back to my resort. ZZZZZZZz :)

Bruegge
05-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Not a hidden secret.... but I love those racers..water mouse whatever you call them... they are a blast.

Zipping across the lake (one of the only "not crowded" places in Disney...

Scott

LudwigVonDrake
05-05-2007, 03:24 PM
i have never done this before, but on our next trip my mother had me make adrs at ohana righ before wishes, from what she tells me you can watch the fireworks and they play all the music from the show, i cant wait :mickey:

I've done this my last two trips and it's awesome :tink:

pook@wdw
05-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Some of our faves are...
MK- - TTA, Train ride Around the kingdom and then relaxing on the patio above the entrance. or outside the Plaza Ice Cream, and doin a little people watchin! :thumbsup:
Epcot - Kickin back w/a cold one in the UK gardens
while listening to a little "British Invasion", a quick pastry in a french bistro, strolling the WS during F& W festival and eating our way "around the World! :thumbsup:
Disney Studios - Love the "Walt Disney-One Man's Dream", a most under-rated but wonderful show, and the Sci-Fi Diner...average food but great atmosphere (especially for the kids)! :thumbsup:
AK - the attention to detail (in every aspect) is incredible. Gotta love EE !:thumbsup:
If you're looking for something different, try a
"Resort Day". Just to check out some of the other resort's restaurants and shops.
FW has a great fireworks hayride, and we would NOT miss the HDDR!! :thumbsup: