PDA

View Full Version : Could you??

crazeedizneefinatic
05-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Could you leave your child/children behind to spend a few days in Disney?? When I wrote that I just shuttered. I cannot imagine leaving my son behind, he is 6. I cannot imagine the guilt. Now I totally believe that there needs to be adult time but I don't think I could do it in Disney. Maybe some other place but not Disney. I would feel so guilty. Heck, sometimes I feel guilty about going to the dollar store myself since I know my son loves it, LOL. My husband and I have done little get aways here and there. We once even considered Disney and looked at each other and said "no way!". Maybe if he was an infant and did not understand or if he was grown and had his own plans. But right now I don't think I can. What are your thoughts??

kgoulash
05-01-2007, 12:13 PM
my ds will be 5 and half the fun is experiencing it with him/thru his eyes! my dd will be 7 months it would most likely be easier w/out her but i cant see splitting up the family for our trip, though we will have the grandparents so we will try to sneak out for an adult dinner!

DVC2004
05-01-2007, 12:21 PM
I've done it. the first time DH and I went the kids were very young toddlers. We had never had a honeymoon and we only went for 4 days.
We took them the following year and have been back with them numerous times.
We have also taken probably 2 childless trips over the years- once for a weekend and once for a week. The last time was last September, my kids actually [I]did not[I][ want to go to WDW! They said they wanted to stay home. I asked them over the months, are you sure? And they didn't go with us. They had sports and school things which I think was the reason but still.

So yes, I've done and yes I would do it again if they didn't want to join me.

magicman
05-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I voted No Way, Never! It would not be the same WDW to me now that I've been with them.

Disclaimer/Caveat/Addendum: There is the basic assumption that they WANT to go with me. If they ever did not want to go with me, I would have their DNA checked because I would know they weren't really mine, then I'd leave the displaced offspring with there true kin (whoever & whereever they are).;)

tinktude
05-01-2007, 01:06 PM
My DH and I have gone down for a few days by ourselves. My friend and I are leaving in 10 days for a girls only trip with no kids!:marg: :beer: . I am so excited!!!!

Tinkerfreak
05-01-2007, 02:18 PM
We just did this this past weekend and I still have mixed emotions about it. Yes we did enjoy doing all the things they never want to do like looking in all the shops etc. but we really did miss them. We kept finding ourselves seeing something and saying "Tabbi would have loved this or it is her favorite ride" or "Morgan would have loved LeCellier". Then to top it off we saw the 2 boys from HSM there and we felt really guilty that the girls did not get to see them. Am I glad we did it? Yes we did it once and got to experience the world without kids. Would I do it again? No way not unless they did not want to go. We felt too guilty and we get so much joy out of their excitement and just like enjoying it all together. We were glad they did not have to experience the heat though, they never could have handled it, DH and I had a hard enough time handling it.

Mousefever
05-01-2007, 04:07 PM
I was about to! I'm going down for the Intercot 10th Anniversary Party in October. I was planning to go by myself. As I started looking into MNSSHP, though, I almost felt sick to my stomach at the thought of experiencing it without my nine year old. I'd love for my husband to see it too, but the idea of seeing it without my son was too much. I booked his flight without any further thought.

:dory:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I don't think I could do it now, but, I would like to when the kids are a little older. :secret:

DH and I went to WDW for our honeymoon. It would be nice to go back alone for a few days,

DisneyOtaku
05-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Seeing how I do not have any kids, I really can't answer. I know if my parents did that to my sister and myself, I think we might have died of heartbreak!

Though, if parents REALLY want a couple of nights out on their own at Disney, I HIGHLY recommend the babysitting services--namely the Neverland Club at the Poly. I was just at the cut-off age, my sister three years younger, and we LOVED EVERY MINUTE of it.

Dsnygirl
05-01-2007, 11:03 PM
My DH and I are planning a trip without our girls in October, for our anniv & I'cot's anniv. party. We took them for the first time last May, and of course, they loved it and can't wait to go back - but they're okay with us going alone, too. (Probably b/c Grandma is coming to stay for the wknd and they know they'll get a pretty awesome surprise from one of the stores down there... :D ) They're 5 & 8, and although I can't imagine experiencing all the stuff we did with them without them this time, I also know we'll get to do stuff they'd be bored by, anyway. (At least, that's what we told them... :blush: ) We've only been away from them twice before, and this will be a much-needed "re-grouping" trip for us, as this past year has been a pretty stressful one for us, and I think this trip will be just what my DH and I need to refuel and have some fun, quality time, just us. But, I have to say, I doubt we will go alone again until they're much older - if it wasn't for I'cot's party this October, I doubt we'd even be doing it this time. It's just too much fun experiencing it through their eyes!! But, I am glad that we'll have this time -- we could definitely use a dose of fun! :mjump:

ihavealipfreckle
05-02-2007, 09:06 AM
I don't have kids yet, but my theory is this, if they, God forbid, don't turn out to be disney freaks like me, who like to do disney the way I like to, then I'll leave them with my husband and head to disney, picking up my sisters and dad. See you later, kiddos! :thedolls:

kakn7294
05-02-2007, 09:20 AM
My girls go practically everywhere with us. We rarely have anytime without at least one of them being with us. I can't even imagine a trip to Disney without them - and I couldn't go without DH either. It's not that I don't look forward to the days when they are grown and we can go alone, but right now we want to spend all of the family time we can get with them because the years pass much too quickly and you can never get those times back. My DD's love it as much as we do and they help with the planning, having input on which resort, what restaurants, etc. I just couldn't go without them.

TikiGoddess
05-02-2007, 09:10 PM
When my girls were 2 yrs old and 5 mos old I went to Disney by myself. It was only a long weekend --Fri night to Mon afternoon -- but it was a very special trip for me, one that I will never forget!

I couldn't go by myself now, though. The girls are now 4 and 2.5 and love Disney as much as I do. I was thinking of going to the Intercot meet in October but I think I would have to bring my 4 yr old at least! Some day I will go by myself again, or just with my DH, but that will probably be when the girls are in college. (knowing them they will be in the college program!) :)

TikiG

Mickey91
05-03-2007, 12:03 AM
We have left our kids behind for a weekend trip to WDW. We had a full week planned for the near future and told them it was Mommy and Daddy's turn to enjoy the more adult side of Disney. So we went to the MNSSHP, had a character dinner at Liberty Tree and watched the fireworks at the California Grill. I did feel guilty and I missed them being there, but it was nice to have alone time at Disney with just DH. We got to ride what we wanted with out the whining. And the kids got fun souvenirs from our trip.

magicofdisney
05-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Disclaimer/Caveat/Addendum: There is the basic assumption that they WANT to go with me. If they ever did not want to go with me, I would have their DNA checked because I would know they weren't really mine, then I'd leave the displaced offspring with there true kin (whoever & whereever they are).;)
:funny:

xipetotec
05-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Could you leave your child/children behind to spend a few days in Disney?? When I wrote that I just shuttered. I cannot imagine leaving my son behind, he is 6. I cannot imagine the guilt. Now I totally believe that there needs to be adult time but I don't think I could do it in Disney. Maybe some other place but not Disney. I would feel so guilty. Heck, sometimes I feel guilty about going to the dollar store myself since I know my son loves it, LOL. My husband and I have done little get aways here and there. We once even considered Disney and looked at each other and said "no way!". Maybe if he was an infant and did not understand or if he was grown and had his own plans. But right now I don't think I can. What are your thoughts??

Well what if the place you like to get away IS Disney. No matter what?

With us, we go every two years. We have there kids ( 8, 11 and 14 ) and last year we decided that they'd been in March, we'd been for 10 days. And my wife and I had always wanted to go by ourselves. So we went in late Sept-Early Oct for the Halloween stuff. Yes we felt a LITTLE guilty not bringing them for MNSSHP, *but* we would NOT have wanted to bring them to UNIVERSAL'S Halloween Horror Nights.

Bottom line, they got to go. So other than MNSSHP, we did not feel bad at all going again, in the same year, by ourselves. We would totally do it again.

c&d
05-03-2007, 10:20 AM
We left DS home with grandma when we went down for our 10th anniversary. We stayed at the GF concierge and enjoyed ourselves at the F&W Festival. That being said if it wasn't a special occasion for DH and me, we wouldn't leave him home. It costs way to much to fly grandma from CA for Boston, it's much cheaper to take him. :D

TennesseeTink
05-03-2007, 10:36 AM
DH and I are planning a trip in Oct. w/o the kids to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I do definitely have some guilt about not taking DD9. DD15 however says she needs a break from WDW(must be some teen thing). We haven't even told DD9 that we're going yet b'c I feel bad about it. We went as a family last Oct for 7 days. We're planning a Disney cruise w/some WDW time for Oct.08 so it's not like she doesn't have a WDW trip to look forward to. Also she's going to Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore this summer with my parents and even gets to fly for the first time. And two weeks after that we're going to the beach for a week.

So why do I feel so darn guilty?!?:confused:

tink2006
05-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I think if we attempted to go to WDW without our DS14, he would call child protective services and declare child abuse ;)
seriously, we probably would not go by ourselves. Part of the magic of WDW is experiencing the parks as a family. I know you should never say never but..... I would never go to WDW without my son....you know the child abouse thing:D

FriendsofMickey
05-03-2007, 11:40 AM
In four going on five years since I have had my girls, my dh and I have only left them one evening to go do something without them (Highschool reunion). I could not imagine even considering for a minute to go to Disney without them. The way I look at it, they are only young for a very short time. Any opportunity I have to share the magic with them, I am going to grab!

GrmGrninGost
05-03-2007, 11:26 PM
DW and I celebrated our 13th anniversary at WDW without the DKs. They stayed with DW's parents and had a fun time. They understood that mom and dad sometimes need time away to be together in a fun environment. Might not ever do it again, but it was a lot of fun!!

em-n-mia's-mommy
05-04-2007, 12:31 AM
I already have! We are going to again here in september. The first time we left them we had logical reasoning in that the girls were 2 years and 9 months old...so they were way too young. This time around the guilt is killing me already but i know dh and i need some r and r time together. This time the girls will be 2 and 4 and the baby will be 6 months old. We just didnt feel our older one was ready for it last year. We are planning a 2008 trip for the girls when they will be 3 and 5 with friends that have kids the same ages. We will leave our son who will be 1 1/2 at that time at home again...poor little guy!