PDA

View Full Version : Child 40" by Your or Doctor's Measurements but not by Disney's?

dntccc
05-01-2007, 09:16 AM
We are going to WDW in about 7 months. Our son will turn 4 about two months before our trip. Currently, with shoes on he measures close to 39" (about 38.75"). I am hoping he will make it to 40" in the next 7 months...actually, I am hoping he makes a little beyond that, like maybe 40.5 - 41", just to make sure he will be measured at 40" at Disney.

How many of you have ever had the situation where you or your child's doctor measured your child at 40" or maybe even a little over that, but when measured at Diseny, your child was measured as not being 40"? I am just curious how common this is.

Strmchsr
05-01-2007, 09:33 AM
They use a stick that's pretty exact. There's no subjectivity. If you've measured him properly at home he'll be 40" at Disney, too.

MsMin
05-01-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm sure it won't be a problem. Remember too they are measuring with shoes on so a their measurement may be a little more generous than a doctors if he or you measure in bare feet.
Now I have known some docs to literally pull up a child stretching them to the highest possible and I've known some children to slouch. In these instances you would have more variability.

Dream'nDisney
05-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Several years ago, my son was just 1/2" too short for the Rock'nRoll Rollercoaster, so we spiked his hair, and told him to stand up as tall as he could. Unfortunately, they smashed his hair down, and said he was too short. (I guess they know all the tricks. lol) My son was devastated, but we told him that there is a reason you have to be a certain height. Afterall, the safety of your child is what is most important. I just took my son to do another ride of his choice while his big sister rode with Dad. There is always next time!! :mickey: :thumbsup:

wtvamp
05-01-2007, 09:59 AM
A little trick we used in the military when someone doesn't "make tape".

Walking around or running all day makes your spine compact, and you become shorter.

So if you're child is just below the measuring stick, try finding something resembling a pull up bar nearby for him to hang on for a few minutes. This will stretch out his spine, and it might actually add an inch or two to his height.

It seems wierd, but it's true, and saved many soldiers from being over the body fat limit!

CleveSJM
05-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Safety.

magicman
05-01-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm told that they validate their measuring stick frequently, so it should be precise. My kids all measured accurately.

I have had to deal with the damage to their little egos when they "don't measure up". To minimize the potential disappointment, I would make sure you prep your child that they may not be tall enough (even if you measure them at home as tall enough). Also, you might want to use it as an opportunity to let them know that when it comes to safety, it's better to err to the side of caution.

crazeedizneefinatic
05-01-2007, 11:11 AM
It is disappointing for little ones not to be able to ride something. When my son was not able I was quite relieved actually. Some of the thrill rides like rock-n-roller coaster and tower of terror can be VERY intense as 1st time riders who never experienced them before. I have witnessed a child throwing up and intensely crying. 40" to me is still so little. Be careful. You may have a daredevil on your hands but experience the ride beforehand to make sure your child can handle it. Sometimes the restraints on the ride can bruise your child who still may have some room in the seat. Please do not "stretch" your child or try to fudge their height, the height requirement is for safety reasons. Hopefully your little one will grow and be able to enjoy some of the "thrill" rides. If not count your blessings you still have your "baby" for one more year! Have fun!

Donald A
05-01-2007, 10:50 PM
As a physician, I do not see what measuring a child at my office would do except let a parent know how tall the child is. Disney will measure and they have the liability to keep their guests safe. Their measurement will count but I image not be too much different than mine. Sure I could add a heel lift to the kid's shoe to increase height. My concern is why push the limit? As another poster said, safety. I'll have to agree with that.

CM~Mserrano
05-02-2007, 08:50 PM
From working at Mission: Space, a ride with a height requirement, they height sticks are definately checked and rechecked. Daily as a matter of fact. They have a digital measuring device that is put at the top of the height stick and then measures to the ground to say how many inches away it is. A prett neat device actually, we used to have some fun with it, just measuring random things, haha. But they are definately strict about it. Another point, if your child is just at the height requirement, they will probably be measured multiple times for the same attraction. Please be patient with this, as we can't just assume that the previous CM measured the child. At Mission: Space, there was the possibility of the child being measured 4 times, and I've seen kids get measured 4 times going through the queue just the one time. So, just be patient, it's for saftey! :mickey: :thumbsup:

LoriMistress
05-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Your kid will probably go a few inchs by the time you're on vacation.

Speedy1998
05-02-2007, 09:44 PM
It seems wierd, but it's true, and saved many soldiers from being over the body fat limit!

ROTFL:rotfl:

This comment almost kept me off my soap box about people ignoring ride restrictions. The restrictions are for everyones saftey. Please do not ignore them.

laward32
05-02-2007, 11:04 PM
If he is right at 40", be prepared to not make the stick. My daughter was 40" exactly when we went in Dec. She was able to ride everything (ToT, TT, BTMRR, Dinosaur), but Splash Mountain. So, just be prepared to not quite make it on some. I know everybody on here says all the sticks are the same, but either the sticks aren't the same or where they have them is not level. And I understand it is the safety issue, I don't want my child riding something that she could get hurt on. But when she made it on everything else, it does kind of upset you.They did give her a pass for our next trip to be able to ride without waiting. She keeps asking when we are going back. It will be nice to not wait, since it is one of the most popular rides. :mickey:

Noah's Helper
05-03-2007, 08:44 AM
If you're talking about very slight differences (39.9" versus 40.1"), the issue is not so much about safety. It's more about following the rules, and preparing your child for possible disappointment.

Fortunately, our family hasn't had to deal with this. Our youngest will probably be 5 feet tall before he is willing to go on a thrill ride. :rolleyes:

FriendsofMickey
05-03-2007, 09:01 AM
We are going through the same thing here. Last year, the girls were almost 4 years old and not even close -2 inches away from 40". They wanted to do Splash Mountain so bad, but for obvious reasons could not. They even begged to let us measure them. So we did. The CM was so great about it. He gave them the little ride card for their next visit.

So, we have about 1/4 " maybe more to grow before they hit 40" by my measurements which I know are not accurate.
I am hoping and guessing that they will grow at least 1/2" by the end of November.

They have me measure them almost every other day, because they want to make sure they make it for Splash Mountain. :lol:

As dissapointed as I would be for them not to make 40" by our visit in November (they will turn 5 while we are there), I would not try to rig it. I want them to be safe and every time they cannot ride a ride because of height, it just gives us another reason to visit again. :)

SallyfromDE
05-03-2007, 09:31 AM
We had marked a door way with the ride measurements. The constantly would measure themselves to see if they could make it the next ride. It saved alot of crying when we got to Disney becuase they knew ahead of time what rides they'd be able to get on. When they all grew over the Disney marks, we painted over the measurements. The kids were really upset!!!

disneyorvegas
05-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I understand about kids and their disappointment when not able to ride, but it is about rules and safety. The problem is never the kids, it's the parents. Parents who don't want to hear about the rules, who never tell their kids NO, who will block a line and argue with a cast member about the height of their child. It's just assinine and I see it everytime we go. Then there's the other type of parent, the ones who bring little kids on Dinosaur for example, little kids who are crying and upset, but the parents insist. I have seen that ride traumatize some kids who may be just big enough to go on but shouldn't go, but the parents insist, they're not thinking about their kid, it's all about them. It's ridiculous, but it will never change with some people. Read this thread again and see how ridiculous people are willing to be, who cares about rules or safety, just don't disappoint me or my child. Of course if something happens, God forbid, that parent will sue so fast it will make your head spin, then they will get a doctor to say that their child was NOT 40 inches!

illini
05-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Kids just don't measure consistently due to their posture, and if they're close it can change constantly.

My DS, for example, went on Primeval Whirl with my DH and was measured at the entrance and before getting on the ride. We did a babyswap. I immediately got in line with him again, but this time the same girl measured him and he was maybe 1/16th of an inch too short. Very frustrating, and even the CM remembered just measuring him but what can you do? They have a job to do (I don't think at that point it's really a safety thing).

Just work on your son standing up straight when getting measured ~without~ using those tiptoes (my kids instinctively do that when we measure them)! But I bet he'll grow more than enough by the time your trip rolls around anyway.

Jared
05-03-2007, 10:55 AM
The post above this one brings up an interesting point: When a child is less than an inch away from the bar, is it really about safety at that point?

Probably not, but someone has to draw a line. Disney makes height requirements scientifically. The restrictions are not random.

Almost as importantly comes the issue of equity. If a Cast Member allows one child 39 7/8 inches on the ride, how is he supposed to turn down a child at 39 5/6 inches?

Hope your child grows. Prepare him for disappointment.

disneyorvegas
05-03-2007, 01:38 PM
As stated previously, if you're a parent and you can't buy into the fact that the height requirement is about safety all the way up the the 40 inches (example given) then refer back to this, it's the rule, follow the rule and don't cloud your mind with how little your child is under the height requirement.

Imagineer1981
05-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Trust me from working at Space Mountain, its for there safety, we hate turning kids away, but what is worse is dealing with angry parents who don't seem to care that their child is .5 inch to short and won't be properly restrained in the ride. They think we are trying to ruin there day!

adamsfam5
05-03-2007, 11:36 PM
In September, our DS4 made the measuring stick at all rides but the PW. Might be the same measuring sticks, but one must have grown with the humidity that day. He was disappointed and a little confused. The CM was great and gave him a card to remind him to return when taller. (like a little ticket).

So the kid will be disappointed - there are plenty of things to do at WDW even when you are short! It sure didn't ruin our DS's trip.

kgoulash
05-04-2007, 10:16 AM
my son was just at 40" when we went in '05 but when we got to disney he always measured just under and was not allowed to go on rides because of his height, thankfully at 2 1/2 he was still young enough not to mind so much. there were a couple of times he was disappointed and we just told him he'd be able to go next time we visit. now this year he's just about at 4 feet and will be able to ride almost everything!
have a great trip

vamaggie
05-04-2007, 01:00 PM
If he is right at 40", be prepared to not make the stick. My daughter was 40" exactly when we went in Dec. She was able to ride everything (ToT, TT, BTMRR, Dinosaur), but Splash Mountain. So, just be prepared to not quite make it on some. I know everybody on here says all the sticks are the same, but either the sticks aren't the same or where they have them is not level. And I understand it is the safety issue, I don't want my child riding something that she could get hurt on. But when she made it on everything else, it does kind of upset you.They did give her a pass for our next trip to be able to ride without waiting. She keeps asking when we are going back. It will be nice to not wait, since it is one of the most popular rides. :mickey:

Don't know if something like this exists but couldn't Disney do some sort of measurement station (one in each park)for kids who are around this height and give them a card to say they are allowed to ride the >40' rides, >44" rides etc? Different color cards for each height restriction? They could have the dates of stay, child's name, age and height. Then the child would only have to show the card to the CM in line at each ride to show they are tall enough. This would eliminate the variables even with the precise sticks. If folks don't want to get the card then they could still be measured at each ride if they wanted. Just a thought.

frakers
05-04-2007, 02:17 PM
When our son hit 40" during a trip he was tall enough for some rides but not others. You couldn't prove to me that the stick is a standard. I know someone on here will tell me they are all the same but I was there and saw him get the "OK" on some but not others. He got on Test Track but not Soarin'. And he cleared Test Track pretty easily.

wedway fan
05-04-2007, 02:57 PM
my son was just at 40" when we went in '05 but when we got to disney he always measured just under and was not allowed to go on rides because of his height, thankfully at 2 1/2 he was still young enough not to mind so much.

40" at 2 1/2! now that's a big kid!

while the limits are obviously set for safety, i'd agree with other posters that when it gets down to the quarter-inches, it's all about following the rules.

TBY2225
05-04-2007, 03:01 PM
On the flip side, we didn't think our then DD4 was tall enough last September to ride Space Mtn so we were not even going to measure her and just do child swap. The CM at the entrance asked if she could measure her just for fun and she was tall enough and she wanted to ride and it ended up being her favorite ride! Don't be afaid to get them measured! Make a game out of it if you want. Take a picture of them not quite there and then next trip take another when they hit that mark!

Jasper
05-04-2007, 03:18 PM
someone has to draw a line. Disney makes height requirements scientifically. The restrictions are not random.

This is exactly correct. If you start saying that this one is just 1/4 inch under than why wouldn't you let one who is 1/2 inch under on the ride. The bar has been set at 40 inches for a reason and it is best to teach your child to respect rules rather than complain about them.

Also, it does make a difference in how your child stands. My oldest child has always been a sloucher. One year when she was right at the 40 inch height she was measured for several rides and told no the first time. Then we told her to stand up straight, they remeasured and sure enough she made it.

I also forgot to mention to make sure they are standing with their feet close together. If your child stands with their feet far apart as many do, that will decrease their height as well by a little.

kgoulash
05-04-2007, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=wedway fan;1278372]40" at 2 1/2! now that's a big kid!
QUOTE]

believe it or not he started out life as a preemie!

Speedy1998
05-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Don't know if something like this exists but couldn't Disney do some sort of measurement station (one in each park)for kids who are around this height and give them a card to say they are allowed to ride the >40' rides, >44" rides etc? Different color cards for each height restriction? They could have the dates of stay, child's name, age and height. Then the child would only have to show the card to the CM in line at each ride to show they are tall enough. This would eliminate the variables even with the precise sticks. If folks don't want to get the card then they could still be measured at each ride if they wanted. Just a thought.

Sea World San Antonio had something like this when we went in March. I think they were handing out wristbands if the kids were tall enough. My only issue would be where do you put it so it does not interfer with the Disney theming. The one at Sea World had a huge crowd around it.

Dakota Rose
05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
When we went to DLR last spring, DS had just gone to the Doc for his vaccines. He was just a hair over 36 inches which made him tall enough to ride Matterhorn. Though we weren't going to let him ride it (he hadn't even turned 2 yet) we wanted to get a pic of him being measured. I was so disappointed when he was under 36 by their stick. When I got the photo back, I saw that he was ducking his head. So, I'd say if your kid is close, even a short bit over the requirement, remind them to stand tall. And anyway it's good to practice tall posture.

Sometimes I think they're should be an age requirement too. Even though we Intercotees practice common sense when it comes to kids and rides, there are so many parents out there who would take their tall 1.5 y.o. on Matterhorn or their tall 3 y.o. on MS.

Marker
05-08-2007, 12:48 PM
The bar has been set at 40 inches for a reason and it is best to teach your child to respect rules rather than complain about them.

Amen! Wouldn't it be nice.

Why on earth would a CM at a ride entrance "want" to keep anyone from riding? For that matter why would WDW want to keep anyone from riding? The rules are set the way they are for a reason. The rules are known before going in. The rules won't (or shouldn't) be changed for guest who complains the most, or screams the loudest.

It's all about attitude.

Donald A
05-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I understand about kids and their disappointment when not able to ride, but it is about rules and safety. The problem is never the kids, it's the parents. Parents who don't want to hear about the rules, who never tell their kids NO, who will block a line and argue with a cast member about the height of their child. It's just assinine and I see it everytime we go. Then there's the other type of parent, the ones who bring little kids on Dinosaur for example, little kids who are crying and upset, but the parents insist. I have seen that ride traumatize some kids who may be just big enough to go on but shouldn't go, but the parents insist, they're not thinking about their kid, it's all about them. It's ridiculous, but it will never change with some people. Read this thread again and see how ridiculous people are willing to be, who cares about rules or safety, just don't disappoint me or my child. Of course if something happens, God forbid, that parent will sue so fast it will make your head spin, then they will get a doctor to say that their child was NOT 40 inches!

This is so well stated :thumbsup:

Bear Lee
05-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Lots of milk, veggies and plenty of sleep and your child will clear the 40" mark, no problems. Have fun! :)

KAJUNKING
05-09-2007, 05:09 PM
As stated previously, if you're a parent and you can't buy into the fact that the height requirement is about safety all the way up the the 40 inches (example given) then refer back to this, it's the rule, follow the rule and don't cloud your mind with how little your child is under the height requirement.

couldnt agree more if yor child is not tall enough it doesnt matter how close he or she is, still not tall enough, it also doesnt matter how tall they are at the doctors office, good luck :mickey:

psychotekkie
05-09-2007, 05:19 PM
I know the feeling, though. We are hoping my DS3 will grow 1 inch in time for our trip in August, because all he talks about is riding Splash Mountain. And I really want him to be happy, but if he doesn't make it, I will accept it. In the meantime, I am feeding him lots of chicken on the theory that since they give all those chickens so much growth hormones, maybe it will transfer to him. LOL (Just kidding, that sounds evil). But definitely am using it to promote the meat and veggies.

Mufasa
05-09-2007, 06:58 PM

Disneyland experimented with a centralized height measurement station (Goofy's Magic Measure) from 2001 through 2003 where kids could be measured through an electronic measurement system and issued a color-coded wristband that would indicate which attractions they could experience in the park (along with a color coded guidemap to indicate which attractions they were eligible to experience).

Unfortunately though, the system was abused by some dishonest parents who would have one child measured and then attempt to swap the wristbands onto their other smaller child and that caused disagreements with CMs at the attraction entrances (where the child was confirmed to not meet the height requirements for the particular attraction after secondary checks).

The system of attraction height checks, and multiple height checkpoints is set up to ensure that there's always a backup to check the child's height before they board any attraction vehicle.

Mom2princesses
05-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Unfortunately though, the system was abused by some dishonest parents who would have one child measured and then attempt to swap the wristbands onto their other smaller child and that caused disagreements with CMs at the attraction entrances (where the child was confirmed to not meet the height requirements for the particular attraction after secondary checks).

OMG!! I can not believe the nerve of some parents. Not only are they risking their kid's life but they are also teaching them to be dishonest.

Mickey91
05-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Your child will probably grow an inch by then. That is over half a year and Mine certainly outgrow all their clothes in that amount of time. But, talk with your child and prepare him for disappointment. If he hasn't ever been to Disney or doesn't remember going, and you know he doesn't make the mark, avoid the rides with height restrictions or let him know up front that this is a big kid ride and he can ride it next trip. He will be a little disappointed but maybe the thought of another trip to Disney will cheer him up!:mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-10-2007, 10:14 PM
We tell our kids that it just means another trip to WDW when they are not tall enough for a ride. :thumbsup:

That usually gets them over any upset rather quickly. Another trip so they can ride Splash, etc?! Who wouldn't take that in exchange for waiting another year to ride. ;)