PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with INTERCOT - May

JanetMegan
05-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Happy May all my fellow foodies! I'm hoping to try a couple new recipes out this weekend, I'll post one and maybe a few of us can try it and offer our reviews??

Baked Chicken Cheese Enchiladas Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sour cream
2 cups prepared salsa
2 cups grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Salt and pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
12 to 14 soft round 6 to 8-inch flour or corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese and the sour cream. Stir in 1/2 cup of the salsa. Stir in 1 cup of the grated cheese. In a second bowl toss together the chicken, the corn, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, and 1/2 of the scallions. Add the chicken mixture to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.
In a baking dish spread a 1/2 cup of the salsa over the bottom. Place about a 1/3 cup of the filling on a corn tortilla, roll up and transfer to the baking dish with the seam side down. Repeat process for remaining tortillas. Pour remaining salsa over enchiladas, spreading to coat all of them. Sprinkle remaining grated cheese over the top. Enchiladas may be prepared up to this point 12 hours in advance. Transfer to preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until hot and bubbly. Enchiladas may be reheated, covered with aluminum foil, before service. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions and serve warm.
------------------------------------------------------

I also found a good one with pork and may post it too!

Beast_fanatic
05-03-2007, 12:06 AM
That sounds yummy Janet! Too bad my hubby wouldn't eat it (the cream cheese and sour cream :rolleyes: ).

Anyone have any recipes for cookie bars (preferably not very cake-like)? I have to do a birthday thing toward the end of the month, but my subject doesn't like cake. :shrug:

JanetMegan
05-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Actually Rhonda I like the recipe from the Toll House Morsels bag. It's the same as the cookie recipe spread into a sheet pan, I believe baking directions for the sheet variety are also on the choc chips bag.

Beast_fanatic
05-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks, Janet! I'll have to check that out.

Seems all the other cooks are off cooking. :stir:

offwego
05-07-2007, 04:49 PM
turtle bars.

Ingredients
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, softened
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
• 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) cocoa powder

Filling:
• 2/3 cup (150 mL) butter
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) corn syrup
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) whipping cream
• 1 cup (250 mL) chopped pecans, toasted
• 2 oz (60 g) semisweet chocolate, melted
Preparation

Line 13- x 9-inch metal cake pan with parchment paper; set aside.

In bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Sift flour and cocoa over top; stir until combined. Press into prepared pan. Bake in centre of 350°F oven until firm, about 15 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack.

Filling: In saucepan, bring butter, sugar, corn syrup and cream to boil, stirring. Boil, without stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in pecans. Spread over crust.

Bake in centre of 350°F oven until bubbly and edges are light golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack.

Drizzle with melted chocolate. Let stand until chocolate is set.

More like a cookie base...with some yummy topping.

DizNee143
05-08-2007, 11:28 AM
i just moved out with my fiance and now we get to start cooking dinner for ourselves...any easy things to do with chicken or steak??...or what to put together to have it become a meal? lol..im so lost...theres only so much you can do with chicken or steak..maybe someone of you have some creative ideas i never would of thought of..

bettie
05-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Anyone have any recipes for cookie bars (preferably not very cake-like)? I have to do a birthday thing toward the end of the month, but my subject doesn't like cake. :shrug:

Here's a really simple recipe for a cookie bar that will help get everyone in a summer-y mood!

Macadamia Coconut Cookie Bars

1 package dry sugar cookie mix, prepared to package directions
1 cup macadamia nuts
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup white chocolate chips
9 by 12-inch baking dish
Softened butter, to prepare baking dish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
To cookie mix prepared to package directions, add nuts, coconut and white chocolate chips. Butter the baking dish and spread cookie dough evenly into a thin layer across the baking dish. Bake bars for about 15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven, and cool slightly. Then cut into squares, remove with offset spatula and serve.

Enjoy!! :chef:

JanetMegan
05-08-2007, 01:42 PM
i just moved out with my fiance and now we get to start cooking dinner for ourselves...any easy things to do with chicken or steak??...or what to put together to have it become a meal? lol..im so lost...theres only so much you can do with chicken or steak..maybe someone of you have some creative ideas i never would of thought of..

I understand where you are coming from. As of about years ago I never cooked at all. I actually LOVE cooking now and make all sorts of things. First I'll offer some quick hints and then when I get a little more time later this week I'll try to post a list of easy meal suggestions.

Tips:
1. Start watching Food Tv, I know that sounds hokey but shows like 30 MInute Meals are GREAT teachers. I really think this is what peaked my interest in cooking.

2. Buy a couple of easy cookbooks, again, while most people can't stand her I think Rachael Ray's cookbooks are great for the beginning cook.

3. Ask family members for easy recipes. Try your mom and get som help fixing familiy favorites.

4. Subscribe to a magazine-Kraft foods has one that comes quarterly for FREE! Subscribe on their website, I love this-it usually has about 100 recipes a quarter.

And here are a couple quick suggestions to start-

-Tacos are always good (either beef, chicken or even shrimp or fish.)
-Pasta dishes are quick and easy and can have meat or no meat. Try simple spagetthi or add sauce and ground beef to cooked ziti and top with cheese and bake in the oven.
-Buy a grill. Use it for burgers, for chicken, even shrimp (which you can even buy already skewered now in many stores.)
-Get to know a rotissere chicken. I often buy them at the store, take all the meat off at home and split it up for a couple meals (great in casseroles, or on salads.)
-Have soup and salad or soup and grilled cheese. This works especially well on a day you have eaten out for lunch.

Try not to be overwhelmed and think you need to cook every meal. Cook larger meals a couple times a week and make sure you have leftovers for another night, swap nice food around with salads and sandwiches if you can too.

Hope this helps and I'll try to come up with some more ideas soon!

DizNee143
05-09-2007, 08:48 AM
thank you for the tips...i already do watch food network...i love that channel!!..but i havent watched it in a while...my parents have a few of rachel rays cookbooks...maybe ill see if i can borrow them...the taco thing sounds good...ill give that a try one night..that should be nice and easy..cant do anything with fish..i only like shrimp and my fiance is allgeric to fish..i will have to go look on the kraft website today..and subscribe to this magazine your talking about!! thank you again!!! :mickey:

offwego
05-09-2007, 09:10 AM
The hardest part isn't the cooking its the planning and shopping.

I highly reccommend a weekly menu and weekly (or you can go further ahead but I like my fresh veggies too much).

Leave one day free (say Friday or Saturday whatever) and plan all the others.

Then build your grocery list from your plan.

Keep in mind some different choices to add variety. (say you have steak with baked potato's mostly..bake a sweet potato instead for variety).

Re chicken do you guys like only dark or white meat?

Steak is fanatastic sliced over salad.

MsMin
05-09-2007, 09:51 PM
One of my favorite quick dishes that the kids have always love was chicken and stove top. I brown the chicken then zap it in the microwave if I'm really short on time or just bake it with the prepared stuffing. The stuffing soaks up the juices from the chicken and tastes like you've been cooking all day!
I also do a chicken and potatoes. cut up chicken, several irish potatoes ( roughly about 1 1/2 squares) put them in a baking pan with butter and onions 2 small or 1 med., celery (3 or 4 stalks) salt and pepper and bake it about 45 mins @ 350. The best is when you smash up the potatoes in the juices and the onions are nice and roasted.

DizNee143
05-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Re chicken do you guys like only dark or white meat?

Steak is fanatastic sliced over salad.

i guess white meat..but to me chicken is chicken ill eat anything...and ive never seen my fiance to be picky over his chicken!! lol...
he doesnt eat many veggies...he does potatos broccoli and corn...now that we are living together..im gonna try to get him to taste some of the other veggies that are out in the world!! lol...
and the whole steak in a salad thing sounds really yummy!! :o)

princessjojo
05-10-2007, 09:04 AM
With the warm spring/summer approaching quickly I have a great pasta salad recipe.

1lb penne pasta
1 med cucumber, chopped
1 med onion, diced
1 green pepper, chopped/diced
2-3 cubed tomatoes

cook pasta and mix with all vegetables

3 tbsp ketchup
1 cup vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp Accent
1 tbsp parsley flakes
3/4 tsp clelry salt

Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar. Shake & pour over vegetables. Chill in refrigerator 4-5 hours.

You can use the dressing for a green salad as well and it is sooooo good. I just may have to make this for dinner tonight.

disneydrmr
05-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Hi everyone! Thanks Janet for posting the thread - I was off in the beautiful Smoky Mountains watching bears so I was away from the computer for a week!

Amy- that pasta salad sounds absolutely divine! I'm a BIG pasta eater and am always looking for new pasta dishes.

Here's a pasta salad that I make that is similiar but uses bottled dressing...

1 lb pasta, cooked and drained
1 large cucumber, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
Pepperoni (I put in 4 of the small logs that come two to a pack by Hormel).. sliced into bite sized pieces
Parmasean cheese to taste
Italian dressing to taste

Mix all items together. I use almost half a bottle of italian dressing cause I like my pasta 'wet'. And I LOVE parm cheese so I use quite a bit. This is good warm or cold. YOu could probably add cherry tomatoes also - I'm gonna try it that way next time I make this. In fact, I'm sure you can add other veggies - heck, who follows a recipe anyway! ha ha....

JanetMegan
05-10-2007, 10:00 AM
I make Diane's version with grape tomatoes cut in half and also some sliced black olives!!

Lacy
05-12-2007, 12:00 AM
That sounds yummy Janet! Too bad my hubby wouldn't eat it (the cream cheese and sour cream :rolleyes: ).

Rhonda, I had to laugh when I read this. I can relate to your hubby, I won't eat anything with cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, etc. There is just something about them that I can't handle. Unfortunately, it eliminates several recipes in many cookbooks. I use the allrecipes site a lot to get recipes because I can use the ingredient search and most importantly for me I can say what ingredients I don't want.

I haven't been to the Water Cooler in quite awhile, but I think it is great to have a cooking thread and I will check back more often as I'm always looking for more recipes to try.

Any one making anything interesting for Mother's Day? We are grilling salmon.

princessjojo
05-12-2007, 09:45 AM
4. Subscribe to a magazine-Kraft foods has one that comes quarterly for FREE! Subscribe on their website, I love this-it usually has about 100 recipes a quarter.
I subscribe to this magazine as well and love it. The recipes are incredibly easy and the ingredients are usually the more common ones that you should have in your kitchen or can find at any market, not just a specialty market. You will love it:chef:

mickeys_princess
05-15-2007, 12:31 AM
any easy things to do with chicken or steak??...or what to put together to have it become a meal?

Chicken & steak fajitas are always good.
:thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
05-17-2007, 11:35 AM
I got my June magazine yesterday! DS was sitting next to me when I was browsing through it....and has asked me to make the ice-cream cake (made with ice cream sandwiches and pudding) for his birthday this weekend -- It says 10 minutes of prep time -- Ka ching! I have just found some extra time to do other stuff on Saturday!

I bought Living this week too (I am planning a garden in my new home, so I am using every magazine at my disposal for plans!). There is a section on "revamped" Surf and Turf. DS8 has also asked me to make the Shrimp, Sausage and Corn skewers featured in it. They look incredibly easy, and VERY tasty!!

Jessie
05-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Ingredients:
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 cups shredded red cabbage
Sliced green onion tops

Directions:

In a saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until smooth. Reserve half of the sauce.

Slice chicken lengthwise into 1-in. strips; thread onto skewers (if using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 20 minutes).

Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot coals for 2 minutes; turn and brush with peanut butter sauce.

Continue turning and basting for 4-6 minutes or until juices run clear. Place cabbage on a serving plate; top with chicken.

Sprinkle with onion tops. Serve with reserved sauce

JanetMegan
05-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Does anyone know if I can refreeze crag leg meat after cooking them? I know they are precooked, come frozen, then you heat and eat them. Question is, I had a ton of them leftover and I wanted to remove the meat and refreeze it for soups or dips, but since it's already been basically cooked and frozen before maybe I can't?

Mickey'sGirl
05-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Does anyone know if I can refreeze crag leg meat after cooking them? I know they are precooked, come frozen, then you heat and eat them. Question is, I had a ton of them leftover and I wanted to remove the meat and refreeze it for soups or dips, but since it's already been basically cooked and frozen before maybe I can't?
You really shouldn't Janet. If it were raw then frozen then cooked....it would be all right -- but you shouldn't refreeze meet into its previously frozen state. Maybe have some crab pasta -- or crab salad sandwiches.... mmm... I'll be right over!

JanetMegan
05-29-2007, 09:11 AM
I wonder then how long it will be good in the fridge...

Need to find some crab recipes pronto ;)

disneydrmr
05-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Need to find some crab recipes pronto ;)

Ask and you shall recieve.. here's one from my favorite celebrity chef - Paula Deen...

Crab Cakes with Lemon-Dill Sauce Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Show: Paula's Home Cooking
Episode: Crab Show

Lemon Dill Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced

Crab Cakes:
3 tablespoons butter
1 green onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
Cayenne pepper
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 pound white or claw crabmeat, picked free of any bits of shell
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

To make the sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Refrigerate until chilled. The sauce will thicken as it chills.
To prepare the crab cakes, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic until the pepper is limp, approximately 3 minutes. Add the cream, mustard, 1 egg, parsley, cayenne pepper and 1/2 cup bread crumbs, to taste, and mix well. Gently fold in the crabmeat.

Form the mixture into 8 patties, about 1/2-inch thick. In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of bread crumbs with the Parmesan. Pat this topping onto both sides of the patties. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.

Using a skillet, combine the oil and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Saute the crab cakes in the hot oil-butter mixture for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. These crab cakes can also be baked for 7 to 10 minutes in a 400 degree F oven.

To serve, spoon a dollop of the lemon dill sauce along side each crab cake.

disneydrmr
05-29-2007, 10:06 AM
And another one....

Crab dip
(Paula Deen)

1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, free of shells
1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup green onions, minced, optional
5 to 6 roasted garlic cloves or 2 cloves minced
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine all of the ingredients in a casserole and gently stir until thoroughly mixed. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve hot with crackers or toast points.

disneydrmr
05-29-2007, 10:08 AM
And the third time is the charm...

Crab Bisque Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Show: Paula's Home Cooking
Episode: Crab Show

1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of asparagus soup
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup half-and-half
1/2 pound crab meat, picked free of shells
1/4 cup dry sherry

Using a heavy saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve with your favorite crackers.