PDA

View Full Version : Crowds in early June

TexasPrincessAurora
05-01-2007, 07:55 AM
It's been forever since I've been to WDW in June, but we have DVC points we decided to use to take our best friends who have never been before...so we're heading back out the first week of June. I'm wondering how the crowds will be that week? For reference we have been in early December, late January and late April recently.

Tygger7
05-01-2007, 08:16 AM
It will definitely be more crowded than the previous times you went, but still shouldn't be too bad. Many kids aren't out of school yet. The only thing that may impact the crowds this year is Star Wars Weekends, which begin the first weekend in June. And since it's the 30th anniversary of Star Wars, crowds might be bigger. All that said, Star Wars Weekends will only affect MGM. So hit another park on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and go to MGM during the week...unless you want to experience SWW. (We went last year, the week before Memorial Day, and it was awesome.)

Goofeygal
05-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Great question!!! We will be there as well the first 2 weeks of june, so glad you posted this one.

poeticeclipse
05-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Last year we were there from the 5th to the 12th. The crowds were managable but I think that the wait times in MK were quite extreme. Main Street gets very packed. That's where I noticed the crowds the most. Remember, Florida schools and lots of southern schools get out the last week of May or the first week of June so you'll probably have more families than you think. Here in southwest Michigan schools are getting out around June 12th or so.

I'll be there at the end of this month. May 26-June 3rd to be exact. Hopefully Memorial Day won't kill us!

thejens
05-01-2007, 10:46 PM
We'll be there that week too!!! I can't wait!!!

mickeys_princess_mom
05-01-2007, 10:55 PM
We'll see you there, too!:mjump:!

DisneyDudet
05-02-2007, 03:16 AM
This is the time when we usually go... I guess I shouldn't say that anymore, since we go at all different times now!

Anywho, we usually go the last few days of May through the first week of June for 9 days. Now, it will be hot, remember that. Way hotter and way more humid than you have experienced before during your other (seasonable) times. That can make everything seem worse than it really is. Yes, you will probably notice that there are a lot more people there. The crowds will grow by the day. If you are lucky enough like we were the last time we went at that time (2005.. beginning of the 50th.. man.. TOO MANY PEOPLE!), it rained the whole time, which made it SO enjoyable. People weren't coming out until later in the day and the crowds stayed low. By the last day, the sun was out and it was nasty hot. That was the most crowded day. We were at Epcot, and you couldn't even shake a stick it was so crowded in Future World near M:S. Even on those rainy days, Soarin had a wait time of 180 min standby.

It most likely won't be too bad when you go your first few days, but you will be able to see a difference. Just get there early, use FP, and take breaks. Its not going to be serious mobs or anything.. no Christmas Crowds, but it will be heavier than you're used to. Make sure you drink lots of water and cut through gift shops to cool off.

If you have any more questions, send me a PM! By the way... for some odd reason.. its just not Disney unless I'm going at that time! Its approaching and my body still thinks we're going.. its like thats how it should be! We went to DL last year... man.. my body will hate me!

Mackflava99
05-02-2007, 12:42 PM
We are going the day my kids get out of school- plan to be there the 15th of June-

Also- What happens during Star Wars weekend?
What special events happen? can someone elaborate? i am a big SW fan !!

Thanks-:thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
05-02-2007, 05:13 PM
They often have characters from the movies and other activities around MGM. We were there one day and it was cute. Jedi Mickey came down the street and Storm Troopers on top of the area covering the turnstiles at the entrance. It was cute, but lots of people.

Here (http://intercot.com/infocentral/park/starwars.asp) is some info!

Brooklynos
05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
We used to go every June for 3 years until we discovered January. It was such a difference for us We have gone in Aug and it wasnt bad. Don't think we'll go again in June until we have kids. The crowds were heavy but not unmanageable. Long wait times so utilize FP. We have always had a blast in June and I'm sure you will too knowing what to expect.

Mackflava99
05-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks so much for the link on Star wars weekend- its excellent !!!

lightyearfan
05-03-2007, 01:15 PM
wow that's when were going down as well, we went last June in the first week, and although it was crowed it it didn't seem as crowded, as it does in July, that said it is still very crowded though, just more managable. MK seemed to have the longest wait times for rides but that shouldn't be a problem with Fastpass, and we also went to MGM for Stars Wars Weekend and it was mobbed but we still had a great time!!

We can't wait

Victor:mickey:

wdwcarrie
05-03-2007, 04:01 PM
I've been there twice as soon as school lets out (around June 8/9) for a week. There are crowds, but they're very manageable. Use FP strategically, get to the parks when they open, and avoid the EMH park, and you can see and do a LOT!

TexasPrincessAurora
05-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Do you think a good strategy might be to go to the morning EMH park for the first 2 hours then move on to another park when it starts getting crowded?

Jeff T
05-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Early June is a great time to go! It can get crowed, but overall it's not too bad. The weather is hot, sunny, and sometimes stormy, but hey - it's Florida!

Be aware that Gay Days is typically held the first week of June in Orlando. A large group of participants in this huge event usually visit the Magic Kingdom the first Saturday of June. Unknowingly our family was in the Magic Kingdom a few years ago during this event, and the park was very, very crowded. After a few hours, we decided to leave the park and go to Universal Studios for the day.

Belle's Mom
05-04-2007, 10:05 AM
That is what I have done in the past and it has worked. It is what I am planning for this trip on June 8-15 also!!:mickey:

poeticeclipse
05-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Do you think a good strategy might be to go to the morning EMH park for the first 2 hours then move on to another park when it starts getting crowded?

I would say to avoid EMH. We thought that would be a good idea but it ended up being somewhat worse. Maybe it depends on the park. We only tried once. And I know for a fact that Epcot is terrible doing the EMH at night. Soarin' was a 3 hour wait!!

TiggerRPh
05-04-2007, 01:44 PM
It's been forever since I've been to WDW in June, but we have DVC points we decided to use to take our best friends who have never been before...so we're heading back out the first week of June. I'm wondering how the crowds will be that week? For reference we have been in early December, late January and late April recently.

We went during the first two weeks of June last year. The crowds were bigger than we were used to (early December) but not unmanageable.

Be prepared for longer waits in the afternoons...use FastPass as much as possible and use EMH mornings.

poeticeclipse
05-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Be prepared for longer waits in the afternoons...use FastPass as much as possible and use EMH mornings.

I should rephrase my previous statement about this. EMH mornings might be alright but the evenings.... they are a waste of time. I think any EMH morning would be beneficial.

DisneyDudet
05-04-2007, 05:19 PM

I would say yes, but don't limit yourself to the first 2 hours, because it may not be too crowded by then. Just wait til you can't stand it, maybe when you start getting hungry, head over to another park and eat lunch there.

As for evenings, like I said, unless you are willing to stay the ENTIRE time, it probably isn't worth it in June.

As far as Gay Days, its not sponsored by Disney, and its just a large get together all over Orlando. They have a schedule out, but they do not have to adhere to it, so just because you are at a park on a day that isn't scheduled, doesn't mean there won't be a lot of people from the celebration. The website I went to, they actually have all 4 parks scheduled: Thurs May 31- AK, June 1- MGM ,June 2 (sat)-MK, and June 3- Epcot. I wouldn't completely avoid the parks. Just go to another park than the main scheduled event is to avoid crowds. We've been many times, and once we figured out their schedule, we merely went somewhere else to have low crowds, and we got them. Epcot was pretty empty when we went during the MK day.

Just prepare for heavier crowds and hotter days!