PDA

View Full Version : packing tips

magicofdisney
05-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Since there are a few of us in the process of moving, I was wondering if anyone has some helpful packing tips. Although I'm 90% done at this point, I still have a few things to go.

One tip that may be helpful to others. We've used A LOT of used boxes that already have things written all over them. Plus, we've used food container boxes, with the logos all over them. In order to label the box, I used brown packing tape to seal the box, then wrote what was in the box, on the tape. This way I can see at a quick glance, what's inside.

PrincessEmmasMommy
05-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Space Bags are wonderful for fitting things in. Also, all lotions and stuff go into ziplocks. We're taking an extra duffle bag with us this time for the expected purchases.
Enjoy!
Jen

Flower
05-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Use heavy plastic containers (Rubbermade or equivalent) for breakables.

MsMin
05-01-2007, 09:49 AM
I color code the boxes some way with stickers or colored paper. This way when your friends (even the hired kind :D) help you can tell them all this color go here...It helps a lot so they can grab a box and keep moving and not read the contents and try to figure out your notes or symbols.

bucky at disney
05-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Label, Label, Label....

January-2007
05-01-2007, 10:04 AM
We bought a bunch of those heavy duty storage boxes that have the lids. They are sturdy cardboard. They were great because we had so many books to move, and since they had handles to grab onto and were smaller, moving heavier things was easier with them. One thing that I didn't think of was that when you put the lid on you can't really see that top line of writing.... so several boxes later we would find what I was looking for... since the way I labled some were just not thought out well enough.

We only moved about an hour and a half away, and we didn't have to move an entire house worth of stuff since we'll still apartment dwellers, but it still took some work. Patience is key, and always allow more time than you think you will need when there is a timeline that must be met. Good luck with your move and happy packing!

Marilyn Michetti
05-01-2007, 10:34 AM
We were going to put our house on the market, and move, but it's a lousy time to sell, so we decided to upgrade throughout. For the painters to come in, we must move most everything out. I called a place that brings up to three "pods" to our driveway for up to a week. Everything gets moved into the pod, and when the painters are done, it all gets put back into the house.

My point in responding is that the company will move the pods from one house to the other making the move fast - all in one trip.

Doesn't cost much either.:confused: