PDA

View Full Version : Whats up w the Muppets?

Crow
04-30-2007, 10:46 PM
just read some things about whos in charge of the Muppet end of the company. so whats going on...new series, new rides, what.
and what do u want to see?

PirateLover
05-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Disney has been really under utilizing the Muppets since they regained control. They made one very lackluster movie (Wizard of Oz) and repackaged a couple of older movies for Kermit's 50th birthday that was really a scam because there was nothing notable on them to be honest.

They do have the Muppet Mobile Labs in DCA as part of the living character initiative. It features Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker driving around and talking with folks etc.

The latest I heard they were developing a TV program called Who Wants to Be the Next Muppet or something like that, but I admit to not being in the loop as of late so that may have changed.

They released Season 1 of the Muppet Show and despite some scenes missing or changed it was still great (the edits are due to not being able to get the rights to the music used in the clips).
Season 2 was supposed to come out not much longer afterwards but it's almost been 2 years now! It was supposed to be released last summer, it wasn't. The latest news is that it is getting released this summer. But who knows. Brain Henson said earlier this year when asked about the Muppet Show Season 2, that "Disney is so formulaic and careful and secretive about their DVD release plans" that even he didn't know when the set would be out.

I also think they could do a lot more in terms of merchandising the Muppets, especially in the store for the ride. I would buy so much stuff there if the choices were more diverse and of a better quality. Maybe that is a good thing, then? haha.

Now there are other Henson entities that aren't owned by Disney, namely Fraggle Rock. They have already released 2 quality DVD sets and are actually in the process of working on a fraggle movie which was written by, of all people, Frank Zappa.

One last thing to note is that Jerry Juhl, one of the best Muppet/Fraggle writers, passed away in 2005. Additionally, many of the original voice actors have moved on to other things. Without the vision of Henson and his original crew, I'm not sure that The Muppets can ever again be what they once were, but I sure hope they try. :kermit: :fozzie:

DisneyOtaku
05-01-2007, 10:15 PM
I am wishing they would update the Muppet Vision film. It does not have to be a whole new movie, but the last time I watched it, there were noticable scratches on the film--and not just during the big battle scene.

big blue and hairy
05-02-2007, 07:20 AM
I am wishing they would update the Muppet Vision film. It does not have to be a whole new movie, but the last time I watched it, there were noticable scratches on the film--and not just during the big battle scene.

How long ago did you see it? It was either cleaned up, or redone from the master, I'm not sure which. It looks a lot better as of about a year ago.

:sulley:

DisneyOtaku
05-02-2007, 09:58 AM
How long ago did you see it? It was either cleaned up, or redone from the master, I'm not sure which. It looks a lot better as of about a year ago.

:sulley:

It's been about two years since I last saw it. Glad to hear they cleaned it up since then! :thumbsup:

Crow
05-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Ill b looking forward to new stuff
Just heard today Muppet Show Season 2 AUg 7:animal:

JPL
05-07-2007, 11:53 AM
The irony of the situation was Disney puurchased the Muppets for the ownership of Bear in the Big Blue House which has since lost it's popularity and the show is also scheduled for replacement with a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show at the studios. Hopefully Disney will utilize the Muppets ina new and creative way and revive these classic characters in new an innovative ways but for now they are sort of in Limbo.

auntfrannie
05-08-2007, 07:27 AM
I would love to see more of the Muppets! They have a great assortment of characters that appeal to that in-between stage. You know, kids that don't think the other disney characters are cool.

Rustin Allison
05-09-2007, 08:14 AM
I hope that more is done with the Muppets as well. I was glad to see that the second season will finally be released this summer. I just wish that Disney would wither do more movies with them or more television specials. I do like the Muppet Mobile Lab, and I think that it says something that Disney is trying out this new technology with the Muppets.

Rustin Allison

Mickey91
05-09-2007, 10:18 PM
I would hate to see the MuppetVision 3D replaced. Add some more wonderful Muppet stuff, but keep MuppetVision there. We read somewhere that it was the last time Jim Henson was the voice of Kermit. If they ever take it out, I hope they sell a copy of it on DVD. It is priceless. :kermit:

Frog
05-14-2007, 09:28 AM
How fun would it be to sit down in the swamp and visit with Kermit ala Turtle Talk with Crush?

Figgyluv03
05-14-2007, 12:28 PM
yeah, they definetely need to build up the muppets more! I world would be a whole lot better if Jim were still around. I don't think Brian is trying as hard and he's pretty much given up! Make me kind of sad! No, it makes me really upset and mad! I love the muppets!!! I guess I need to go back and get my robotics degree so I can go in there and take over!

LudwigVonDrake
05-17-2007, 09:10 PM
The movie needs some TLC because it is showing its age badly :(