PDA

View Full Version : How are Universal's Coasters

psychotekkie
04-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Ok, so maybe I'm getting old... but when I go on badly engineered coasters, I am actually in pain from all the rattling and jolting around. Plus I am short, so the restraints that go over my shoulders tend to knock my head around so I get the impression of having my ears boxed for the duration of the ride. Highly unpleasant for wimpy me.

I HAVE found that Disney's coasters (though more tame than some) are silky smooth, and have never caused me any discomfort.

How do Universal and IOA's Coasters compare? Are they jolty or smooth?

Thanks everyone!

scoot241
04-30-2007, 11:03 PM
I haven't ridden The Mummy in Universal, but the IOA coasters (Dueling Dragons and The Hulk) are very smooth. All three are steel coasters. Hulk launches you similarly to Rock 'n Rollercoaster, just to let you know.

Touchdown
05-01-2007, 06:24 AM
I concur that the IOA coasters are super smooth. They are from a company (B&M) that consistantly makes smooth rides, in the future this company is very easy to pick out. They have a very distinctive track with a large center box support and "wings" that hold up the track, they also have cars that are four to a row and the ones with the tracks not filled with sand (like IOA is) have a very loud unique roar, once you hear it you will be able to distinguish it from then on (Kumba and Montu at BGA have the roar.) Just a little FYI.

As for the Mummy, its also quite smooth, however you are flying around helixs and being launched in the dark so you may be caught off guard once or twice (but that shouldnt stop you from going on it, it doesnt really go that fast.)

NJGIRL
05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
I thought the Mummy was very smooth also except for the stopping at the end. It jolts you forward and my lap belt dug into my stomach. That sort of surprised me.

Pally
05-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Excellent and smooth. I also, have to be careful when choosing a roller coaster. Making sure I am in the middle to avoid neck pain. Try Spiderman, it is not a roller coaster but a very fun ride. Very smooth. It is one of our favoirtes. My favorite is the Hulk. In December because we stayed at Portofino Bay we used our room key for "front of the line" . Unlike the Fass Pass at Disney. Your room key allows you to by pass regular lines. You might wait 5 minutes per ride. My kids loved this.

IceCreamlover
05-04-2007, 02:55 PM
The roller coasters at Universal are much smoother and overall better than at Disney IMO. There are some sudden stops and drops, but there's no headbanging except for some on the Hulk (leaves me a small headache that goes away in 5-10 minutes, or if I forget about it). I'd definitely ride them without any fear of getting hurt.