PDA

View Full Version : Is the Yeti on EE an animatronic??

Disneyatic
04-30-2007, 12:21 PM
DH and I have a debate going about the Yeti on EE. I am almost positive I read somewhere that it is an animatronic and is one of the most sophisticated ones in the parks.....
DH says that it is a video type screen that projects the silhouette....
Can someone provide insight on this riveting subject to help us determine whose correct??

SurferStitch
04-30-2007, 12:38 PM
You are both correct.

During the middle of the ride, the moving shadow of the yeti is projected onto a wall. At the end, there is an incredibly detailed, and incredibly HUGE Yeti animatronic.

:thumbsup:

xipetotec
04-30-2007, 01:34 PM
DH and I have a debate going about the Yeti on EE. I am almost positive I read somewhere that it is an animatronic and is one of the most sophisticated ones in the parks.....
DH says that it is a video type screen that projects the silhouette....
Can someone provide insight on this riveting subject to help us determine whose correct??

Are you insinuating that he is ARTIFICIAL?! He's obviously the real thing! :D

ILoveLegos
04-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Is it possible to ride this ride and only see the projection yeti? I rode for the first and only time in January and had my eyes wide open the whole time and I only saw shadows of the yeti but never the yeti himself. I was on the right side of the coaster and a person that I did not know was to my left.

xipetotec
04-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Is it possible to ride this ride and only see the projection yeti? I rode for the first and only time in January and had my eyes wide open the whole time and I only saw shadows of the yeti but never the yeti himself. I was on the right side of the coaster and a person that I did not know was to my left.

Well although it's true that you see him for all too briefly right before you exit the final cave, he is 22 feet tall, roars VERY loudly and reaches right for your train from above... so I would say he IS hard to miss except for the fact that you only really see him for like 2 seconds.

castlelady36
04-30-2007, 03:21 PM

It is a very brief sighting but I believe he is on the right side right before you leave the cave. Perhaps you were too excited to notice him quickly flying by!!:mickey:

Disneyatic
04-30-2007, 04:03 PM
So wonderful to be right :mickey:
Only kidding (halfway)...back to the point..we watched a few videos of the ride on youtube and it is hard to tell that he is real and not a shadow.
I think it depends on where you sit in proximity to the front or back of the car, it seemed like the closer to the back of the car, the better the view but it still strongly resembled only a shadow/video and not an actual being.
We are going to do some more searching tonight and try to find a good shot of the real thing..thanks to everyone for their help!

SurferStitch
04-30-2007, 04:13 PM
We sat in the front row the first time we rode it, and we had a great view of the AA Yeti. There was no missing him and his vicious looking face.

We also rode somewhere in the middle, and had the same great view.

The problem with home videos is exposure. If the exposure isn't good, then you're not going to get a good view of the Yeti. That's probably why he looked so dark.

ghost999
04-30-2007, 07:02 PM
i get it !!, you had your EYES CLOSED. why didn't anybody else think of that. :mickey:

Vanlandingham
04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
The Yeti is an AA, you are correct there. However, there is a contingency plan in place in case the Yeti breaks down for any reason. If for some reason it is not functioning properly it doesn't actually move, but rather they employ strobe light effects to make it look like its moving.

Every time I've ridden its always been working fine though.

Kairi_7378
05-01-2007, 12:57 PM
You are both right.

There was a really cool special on the Discovery Channel that shows you how they designed and built EE. They showed everything except for his face!

dumbo ears
05-01-2007, 06:00 PM
its both. at one part its on a screen and at another point its animatronic.

Melanie
05-01-2007, 07:03 PM
We are going to do some more searching tonight and try to find a good shot of the real thing..thanks to everyone for their help!

You can find a great picture of the Yeti right here (http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/animalkingdom/asia/expeditioneverest/photopage2.asp#photo4) in our Theme Parks section.

lyle21
05-02-2007, 09:25 AM

don't feel bad. same thing happened to me. i was on right side, sister right behind me. conversation after went something like this...

sister "wow, that was amazing."
me "yeah!"
sister "that yeti was incredible."
me "yeah!"
sister "he was really scary."
me "uh...yeah."
sister "he was practically in my face"
me "uh...yeah...what?"

i didn't know what she was talking about. even thought she was lying at one point. somehow i missed it and now i must wait til 2008.

Imagineer1981
05-02-2007, 10:11 AM
He's there alright, during the first 48 hour test on the ride, his arm hit the train car!

Disneyatic
05-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Thank you so much for the link to the pictures!
I can't wait to show DH tonight, he will be amazed!