PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals reliever Hancock killed in car crash

Hammer
04-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Josh Hancock, a key member of the bullpen that helped the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series last season, was killed in a car crash early Sunday.

The Cardinals postponed their home game Sunday night against the Chicago Cubs. It was the second time in less than five years that a St. Louis pitcher died during the season. Darryl Kile was found dead in his hotel room in 2002.

Police said the 29-year-old Hancock was alone in his 2007 Ford Explorer when he struck the rear of a tow truck at 12:35 a.m. The truck was in the left lane assisting another vehicle that was involved in a prior accident, officer Pete Mutter said.

Hancock was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the tow truck, whose name was not released by police, was in the truck at the time of the crash but was not injured. The medical examiner's office said Sunday morning that an autopsy had been scheduled.

"All of baseball today mourns the tragic and untimely death of St. Louis pitcher Josh Hancock," baseball commissioner Bud Selig said. "He was a fine young pitcher who played an important role on last year's World Series championship team."

News of Hancock's death began to circulate around the majors on Sunday morning. Seattle Mariners pitcher Jeff Weaver, who won the World Series clincher for St. Louis in October, got a call from Cardinals reliever Randy Flores.

"I never really had a phone call like that before. It's kind of mind-boggling. Just a few days ago I had talked to him on the phone, touching base again because we were pretty good friends at the time," Weaver said. "We spent a lot of time together. It was just hard to believe."

Weaver said Hancock called him three or four days ago just to chat, and asked if Weaver had received his World Series ring yet.

Hancock was remembered at ballparks around the country. The Cleveland Indians observed a moment of silence before their game against the Baltimore Orioles, with Hancock's picture displayed on a giant scoreboard.

"It's terrible, another terrible event," said Rockies manager Clint Hurdle, who was the Colorado hitting coach when Kile was a part of the Rockies' staff in 1998 and 1999. "The young man had done so well last fall and had a promising career. It's just terrible."

A Cardinals-Cubs game also was postponed in June 2002 after Kile died in Chicago. The 33-year-old pitcher died of a coronary artery blockage.

Hancock, who pitched three innings of relief in Saturday's 8-1 loss to the Cubs, played for four major league clubs. He went 3-3 with a 4.09 ERA in 62 regular-season appearances for the Cardinals last season and pitched in three postseason games. He was 0-1 with a 3.55 ERA in eight games this season.

Three days before his death, the Cardinals got a scare that some teammates said reminded them of Kile's death -- Hancock overslept and showed up late for a day game in St. Louis. Hancock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he thought the starting time was later and didn't get up until the "20th call" from anxious teammates.

"We were all a little nervous," closer Jason Isringhausen said earlier this week. "We don't care if you're late. That happens. We want to know that you're OK."

Hancock made his offseason home in St. Louis. He was the only player to attend the premiere of a DVD documenting the Cardinals' unlikely run to their 10th World Series championship after winning only 83 regular-season games.

Hancock, who was single, joined the Cardinals in spring training last season after the Cincinnati Reds released him for violating a weight clause in his contract. He had been a starter the previous year with Cincinnati, but missed 133 games because of groin and elbow injuries. He also pitched for Boston and Philadelphia.

The Reds completed a three-game series in St. Louis on Thursday, and former teammates were shaken by the news.

"It's kind of a little turn in your gut," pitcher Matt Belisle said. "It's one of those reality checks that you never know when your time is."

Relief pitcher Todd Coffey said, "It's shocking. I can't even put it in words how I feel."

In 1997, Hancock helped Auburn advance to the College World Series.

"Josh was a part of arguably the best pitching staff and arguably the best team ever to play at Auburn. It is a shame whenever anyone dies, especially someone as young as Josh, in a tragic accident," said Auburn coach Tom Slater, an assistant at the school when Hancock played there.

PirateLover
04-29-2007, 08:58 PM
RIP. Phillies had a moment of silence at the game today and a little tribute to him. :(

Hammer
04-29-2007, 09:35 PM
I saw the tribute at the ballpark. I thought it was really nicely done. Maryanne, were you at the game? I have the Sunday plan, so this was our (my sister and I) first game, since the April 15th game was rained out.

DizneyFreak2002
04-29-2007, 10:47 PM
This is sad news indeed... Thoughts and prayers out there for his family and friends, as well as his teammates....

Jeff G
04-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Tragic news and to the Cards again. I'll keep his family and teammates in my prayers.

PirateLover
04-30-2007, 10:01 AM
I saw the tribute at the ballpark. I thought it was really nicely done. Maryanne, were you at the game? I have the Sunday plan, so this was our (my sister and I) first game, since the April 15th game was rained out.
No, I wanted to go (I love the Phanatic's Birthday!) but had to end up watching it on TV. I think I'm the only one I know besides my grandfather who can sit and watch an entire Phillies game on TV... but they broadcast the entire opening.
We've made it to about 4 games so far this year.

Scar
04-30-2007, 01:54 PM
I think I'm the only one I know besides my grandfather who can sit and watch an entire Phillies game on TV... I can. But only 18 times a year. ;)

Hammer
04-30-2007, 05:25 PM
I can. But only 18 times a year. ;)

Don't you mean 19 games a year ;) :D !

Scar
05-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Don't you mean 19 games a year ;) :D !Hmmm.... could've swore it was 18...I'll have to check. :unsure:

Hammer
05-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Hmmm.... could've swore it was 18...I'll have to check. :unsure:

You are right, it is 18 times this year. I just checked the Phillies schedule. I don't know why I thought we played each NL East team 19 times...sorry about that:blush: .

Scar
05-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Hancock had accident days before death
5/1/2007, 10:16 p.m. EDT
By JIM SUHR
The Associated Press

SAUGET, Ill. (AP) — Three days before he was killed in a highway wreck, St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock was involved in a predawn accident that police treated routinely.

Officers who talked with the 29-year-old reliever moments after the front of his sport utility vehicle was clipped by a tractor-trailer in this village known for its factories and strip clubs found Hancock lucid. He did not appear under the influence of alcohol, Police Chief Patrick Delaney said Tuesday.

No sobriety or breath tests were given to Hancock, and no tickets were issued, Delaney said. The SUV was too damaged to drive home.

Hancock was driving a rented Ford Explorer early Sunday when it slammed into a flatbed tow truck on Interstate 64 in St. Louis. Autopsy results had not been released, and toxicology tests were pending.

While waiting for a cab to take him home after the accident in Sauget, Hancock told another officer he disliked night games followed by day games. The pitcher said he often drove around to make himself tired enough to rest, the chief said.

"He said how he hated — he used that word — to play day games after a night game, that he had trouble sleeping and was out driving around," Delaney said.

Hours later, Hancock showed up late at Busch Stadium for a day game against the Cincinnati Reds. He insisted he thought the starting time was later and had overslept in a new bed.

Hancock was at a stop sign about 5:30 a.m Thursday, just across the Mississippi River from St. Louis, when he inched his vehicle out a bit into the intersection, presumably to see around big trucks and other vehicles that frequently park near there, Delaney said.

A passing tractor-trailer traveling around the posted speed limit of 45 mph nicked Hancock's vehicle and sheered off the front bumper, the chief said. Neither Hancock nor the trucker, 33-year-old Richard Lehn of Keyesport, Ill., was injured.

Hancock "was very fortunate," Delaney said. "If he would have inched up another inch and that truck would have hit, it would have been much more serious accident."

The accident happened on Illinois Route 3 off Yellow Brick Road, named for its proximity to the Oz nightclub. The intersection is also near a liquor store and small-scale truck stop.

Managers of Oz told police Hancock had not been at that club that night, Delaney said.

"The officers said they felt Josh was not impaired whatsoever," Delaney said. He said Hancock did not get preferential police treatment as a ballplayer, noting the responding officer "didn't know Josh Hancock from John Doe."

A message left at Lehn's home Tuesday was not immediately returned.

A memorial service for Hancock is set for Thursday in Tupelo, Miss. The Cardinals are chartering a plane that will get them there in time for a lunch with the Hancock family.

A private funeral for the family is scheduled for Wednesday.

Scar
05-02-2007, 01:48 PM
The pitcher said he often drove around to make himself tired enough to rest, the chief said.What?!?!? :confused:

Kate In Wonderland
05-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Oh that's sad... :( RIP Josh...

Hammer
05-04-2007, 01:13 PM
ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock was drunk at the time of his fatal accident, and marijuana was found in the sport utility vehicle he was driving.
Police Chief Joe Mokwa also said at a news conference Friday that the 29-year-old Hancock was speaking on a cell phone at about the time of the crash early Sunday on Interstate 64 in St. Louis.

"Mr. Hancock was legally intoxicated at the time of the accident," Mokwa said.

St. Louis medical examiner Michael Graham said Hancock's blood-alcohol level was 0.157, nearly twice Missouri's legal limit of 0.08.

Mokwa said 8.55 grams of marijuana and a glass pipe used to smoke marijuana were found in the rented Ford Explorer. Toxicology tests to determine if drugs were in his system had not been completed.

An accident reconstruction team determined Hancock was traveling 68 mph in a 55 mph zone when his SUV struck the back of a flatbed tow truck stopped in a driving lane. Mokwa said there was no evidence Hancock tried to stop. He did swerve, but too late to avoid the collision.

Graham said the pitcher died "within seconds" of head injuries. Hancock was not wearing a seat belt, but Graham said the belt would not have prevented his death.

Mokwa said cell phone records showed Hancock was speaking with a female acquaintance at about the time of the accident. Mokwa said the conversation ended abruptly, presumably when the accident occurred.

Hancock, a key bullpen member on the World Series championship team last season, was driving alone. The tow truck driver was not hurt.

Hancock, who pitched three innings of relief in last Saturday's 8-1 loss to the Cubs, left Busch Stadium around 6:30 p.m. and arrived about two hours later at Mike Shannon's, a restaurant and bar owned by the former Cardinals third baseman who now is a team broadcaster. Police said Hancock left Shannon's shortly after midnight.

At 12:34 a.m. Sunday, the tow truck came upon a disabled Geo Prism and stopped behind it with its yellow lights flashing to protect the car, Mokwa said. A few moments later, Hancock's SUV struck the rear of the tow truck.

"If you drink, don't drive," Mokwa said. "Use a taxi. Have a designated driver. Call a friend."

Graham said Hancock had severe chest injuries as well as the fatal head injuries.

"There's nothing at all that could have been done for him," Graham said.

An estimated 500 mourners turned out Thursday for a memorial service for Hancock in Tupelo, Miss., recalling the pitcher as a goodhearted prankster. Among the mourners were Hancock's teammates, coaches, manager Tony La Russa and general manager Walt Jocketty. Hancock was buried Wednesday in rural Itawamba County, Miss.

Hancock made his major league debut in September 2002 and played for four major league clubs. He went 3-3 with a 4.09 ERA in 62 regular-season appearances for the Cardinals last season, leading the bullpen in innings, and pitched in three postseason games.

He was 0-1 with a 3.55 ERA in eight games this season.

Hancock joined the Cardinals in spring training last season after Cincinnati released him for violating a weight clause in his contract. He also pitched for Boston and Philadelphia.

The Cardinals postponed a home game the day of the accident against Chicago and haven't won since. They were swept in a three-game series in Milwaukee and had a day off Thursday.

kakn7294
05-04-2007, 10:34 PM
How terribly sad - the worst part is that he did everything except drive with a blindfold on. He was drunk, possibly high, driving around late at night, talking on a cell phone, not wearing a seat belt, and speeding. And yet, he probably didn't see anything wrong with that and now he's paid the ultimate price. What a shame!

Melanie
05-26-2007, 03:15 AM
I can understand Hancock's father suing the bars/establishments that obviously served Hancock way too many drinks the night he died, but to sue the tow truck driver and stranded motorist as well? What am I missing? I read the reasoning for it, but it still just doesn't sit right with me. :shrug:

tinktude
06-09-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't even agree with the fact that the father is suing the bar. They offered him a taxi ride home, he refused stating that he was staying at a hotel around the corner. He chose to get in his car and drive, he chose to drink.

To put blame on anyone else but Josh is unacceptable. His choices killed him and nobody else.

Are the circumstances sad? Yes, his life was cut short and that is upsetting but trying to sue people is not the answer.