PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountainless Syndrome

Awesome_guy
04-29-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm a teacher (Grade 6) and I used to be a lifeguard.

Whenever a kid returns from WDW or Disneyland, I always have the same questions. What was your favorite attraction?? and Did you ride Splash Mountain??

SOOOO many times the answer is "No, the line was like two hours so we didn't get to do it." I even got the same answer from my cousins when they went.

I just don't get it. a) First-timers don't seem to understand FastPasses that well, which is strange because they're so heavily promoted... b) Even strategies like going early or staying late seem to be misunderstood. The "ride during lunch and parade times" is even on the Park Guides... yet people still follow the crowds instinctively.

Do you know people who have a WDW vacation but end up frustrated because they have no strategy? How can it be that so many people are missing the E-Ride attractions? I can't imagine missing any of them... ever. (unless there's a refurb or that awful 'inclimate weather announcement'.

BigRedDad
04-29-2007, 02:54 PM
E-Rides are gone, but I an truly understand where you are coming from. I think they call them EMH now. When it was just my DW and I, we had an easy plan of action. We insured our stays had the old E-Ride nights. That prevents us from having to go on those rides during the days. We can almost walk on all the rides at night.

It also has to do with 90% of the population being right handed. They all head towards Tomorrowland first and work toward Frontierland later.

GoofeyAtDisney
04-29-2007, 02:57 PM
:mickey: Ya last year I was there for 3 weeks with my parents (im 15) and we almost didnt go on Splash Mountain but on the second last day we got on! Oh and I am right handed and so are my parents but we always go to Adventureland on our first visit to Magic Kingdom!:thumbsup:

SBETigg
04-29-2007, 03:53 PM
I don't understand missing the big ones, either. Missing anything, really. Unless a trip is really short, there is time to do quite a bit of each park and can't-miss attraction is just that-- can't miss, even if the line is two hours long I find a way. And really, there are plenty of times when it isn't a long wait, and Fastpass is right there, too. Of course, the thrill rides aren't for everyone.

LudwigVonDrake
04-29-2007, 04:41 PM
I must admit, I'm right handed and nine times out of ten I start with Tomorrowland :mickey:

However, unless the ride is closed for any reason, I get on all my favorites during a trip...multiple times :smickey:

glenpreece
04-29-2007, 04:48 PM
I know how you feel. When a friend of mine took her family back in Jan 06 they ended up sleeping in everyday. Getting to the parks at the peak of the day not doing much and didn't see a single fireworks show!! How can you go to WDW without seeing any fireworks????? I'd ask if they did this or that and they'd say it was too busy or crowded. All they seemed to do was sleep in and go swimming. Everytime I talk ab out going back she gets so mad because she wants to go back w/o her kids.

kaliepooh
04-29-2007, 04:51 PM
During my August 2005 trip we were unable to ride BTMR. It was closed for bad weather on several occasions and then it was not working properly on another occasion. I guess stuff happens! We had fastpasses on all three occasions what a bummer!

Vanlandingham
04-29-2007, 05:08 PM
I guess I would call myself right-handed as well being that without fault I always start with Space Mountain right when the park opens. But I usually make it around to Splash within the first hour anyway.

lyle21
04-29-2007, 05:10 PM
weird about that right hand/left hand thing. we always go to adventureland first.

anyway, going to MK without riding splash mountain? unfathomable.

seriously, how CAN one go to WDW and not see fireworks? even if you avoid them on purpose? impossible. after a long trip i get downright sick of them. oh no, not MORE fireworks.

WDW doesn't require military precision (ok, maybe in july). go early or stay late, fastpass, riding at meal times and parades, etc. all it takes is a little forethought and you can get it all done and be back at your resort for the electric light parade.

DisneyDudet
04-29-2007, 05:26 PM
E-Rides are gone, but I an truly understand where you are coming from. I think they call them EMH now. When it was just my DW and I, we had an easy plan of action. We insured our stays had the old E-Ride nights. That prevents us from having to go on those rides during the days. We can almost walk on all the rides at night.

It also has to do with 90% of the population being right handed. They all head towards Tomorrowland first and work toward Frontierland later.

The term E-rides were when the rides at Disney were designated by letters, and you purchased tickets for each category. From A-E. E rides were the best and most popular, and were more expensive to ride. When they created E-Ride Nights, they were essentially promoting a chance to ride the most popular rides in MK at night, with limited number of people. So now, when people mention E-rides... they are talking about the most popular (ie: headliners).

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with right handedness. I think a lot has to do with it that Space Mountain, made famous in DL and everyone who thinks about a Disney park, assimilates Space Mountain to it. Its the most popular, and most guidebooks say to head there first. When it comes to different lines, yeah, most people take the right.

Its really funny.. I was just thinking that every park has at least one major headliner to the right:MK has Space Mtn, MGM has RnRC and ToT, AK has Everest (I know..new ride), and Epcot has Soarin (kinda new, I know).

Most people who go don't really know what to do and really follow the crowd. Its the lemming mentality. They just do what everyone else does.

Then again, not everyone plans out their trip over 6 months ahead of time like us!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Dh, the kids and I are all right handed...We always start in Adventureland...lol.
:thumbsup: I guess we are the oddballs with that theory, I know a lot of people say it is true.

As for missing the big rides because of lines or not using Fast Pass,that just baffles me. I could never come home and say I missed Splash or BTMRR because of a long line. Refurb yes, line, No Way!!

ghost999
04-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Oh and I am right handed and so are my parents but we always go to Adventureland on our first visit to Magic Kingdom!:thumbsup:
that's what me and my mom just said :mickey:

Donald A
04-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I guess everyone has different ways of taking a vacation. I am the type of person who does everything I can where my wife would rather sleep in.

For instance, last trip I did not ride Expedition Everest and I am also yet to do soarin. I did not want to wait in the long lines. I guess I just figure I'll do it next time. In terms of fireworks, I just don't enjoy them as much as others.

I love Disney and am even a DVC member, but I have found that when I don't sometimes take a step back and slow down I just get exhausted. We are taking a trip in January with the extended family and I am just going to try and go with the flow. (and maybe try to do EE and Soarin ;) )

Dicecatt262
04-30-2007, 08:59 AM
For instance, last trip I did not ride Expedition Everest and I am also yet to do soarin. I did not want to wait in the long lines. I guess I just figure I'll do it next time. In terms of fireworks, I just don't enjoy them as much as others.

Did you not do them because you went to the parks late and there were no more fast passes?

Spaceship Tigger
04-30-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm really not surprised... I've talked to several people that work in the same place I do that have been to WDW recently. They all go with little or no planning and think that one day per park is fine during peak times. Then they come back and say that they had fun, but they didn't get to do a lot of things because it was so crowded.

Vanlandingham
04-30-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm really not surprised... I've talked to several people that work in the same place I do that have been to WDW recently. They all go with little or no planning and think that one day per park is fine during peak times. Then they come back and say that they had fun, but they didn't get to do a lot of things because it was so crowded.

I've seen a lot of this kind of thing too, especially from my cousin-in-law. He's a DVC member and goes every year, but could care less about the rides, which really holds the rest of his family back. All he wants to do is eat.

But its a shame that people don't get to Splash Mountain. My friends ask me for advice before they go and I always tell them that Splash is a can't miss attraction. And they always agree afterwards.

Michigander
04-30-2007, 11:19 AM
We were a family of eight and went at peak (Easter Week) and still amnaged to ride everything and somethings like TofT RRC and SM several times. People really need to learn how to use the fast pass it works wonderful. To help with sleep in days we had purchased enough days so that we went in early on one day and late on another. Cutting our parks more or less in half for each time we went in to do with time to go back to redo the things we liked the most. And we were able to catch every light show this way too. It also helped to make it not so rough on the old body, because we wern't rushed to get everything in, in one day. I find if you go directly to the fastpass of the ride you want to do the most first thing when you get into the park (you only need one person in charge of being the fastpass runner) it makes it so much nicer to get it all done.:D

battle beast
04-30-2007, 11:19 AM
you may remember us from the Epcot movie. We're the ones that ski during the day, ski during the night holding lamps, pretty much all we do is ski. Occasionally we take a break from the skiing and make it down to Florida) ;)

Calgary?!BOOO! :D Cheers from Edmonton!!!

Anyway, which Epcot video are you talking about??? How did you get into it?

bleukarma
04-30-2007, 11:44 AM
I think some people take the “I’m on vacation so I’m going to relax” mentality and don’t mind missing stuff. Most of the time I have fun planning out the best time to do things but I have to admit that I’ve gone there before and had that mentality. I’ll ride what I get to ride and not worry about it if I don’t.

I’ve always heard the right-hand theory and I do believe that most of the crowd heads to Tomorrowland first. For those people that always go to Adventureland, how do you do Space Mountain without waiting in a long line or getting there when fastpasses have run out? I’ve done the Adventureland first tour and it’s worked great but I only do it when I know I probably won’t be getting on Space Mountain. If Space Mountain is on my must-do list then I’ll head to Tomorrowland first with the rest of the crowd.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-30-2007, 12:04 PM
For those people that always go to Adventureland, how do you do Space Mountain without waiting in a long line or getting there when fastpasses have run out?

We go in September when the crowds are at some of their lowest. :thumbsup:

If we miss SM that is fine with me. It is not one of my favorite's. I only go on it because my boys love it and DH will only take them on it once. There is a method to my madness..lol. ;)

If we missed Splash Mountain, POTC or BTMRR I would probably have a fit!

MOJoe
04-30-2007, 12:50 PM
One thing i haven't seen mentioned is the fact that Splash Mountain is a water ride. I have been to WDW many times when the weather is cool and decided not to ride because i didn't want to chance getting wet.
Same thing with the right turn to Tomorrowland. Many people don't get to Splash until dark, and may decide not to ride because of the water. I know that a few times i would get there and say, "Well, i would have ridden if i had gotten here in the heat of the day, but since it has started to get cool....":(
Even though i feel Splash is one of the best at WDW, i only like to ride in the daytime. Getting wet on a cool night can make me :ill:

Speedy1998
04-30-2007, 01:10 PM
I have met so many people who say they hate WDW. When I start talking to them about why it is almost always the same thing. it was too, crowed, too hot, and they line were so long they bearly got to ride anything. When they are pressed further, I usually find out that they did not get to the park till 11 am or later, and left around 4 or 5 because they were hungry and did not want to spend a fortune to eat at the park (mind you so far none of the people I have asked have actually checked to see how much a meal at the park cost).

So in other words people miss the best attractions because they do not plan and assume WDW is like your local run of the mill amusment park. I mean you do not even need to use fastpass if you just get up and get to the park when it opens.

FriendsofMickey
04-30-2007, 01:38 PM
I cannot imagine going without sometype of plan. I may or may not overplan, but we always enjoy the parks to the fullest. We used to actually carry around a map and check off everything as we did it. :)

The last two years we have missed many of the rides we would normally ride, but with the two little ones, we just chose as a family to not split up and ride without them.

This year we actually have a bookshelf marked for 40 inches and every couple of days I get the "mommy, how tall am I now?" :mickey:. Last week, we tried with shoes on and they were just over 40 inches. We had a little party dance going on! :mickey: So, unless they close Splash Mountain during November, we will definately be on it.

We have never had the need to use FastPass, but if I were going Peak, you can bet I would.

mttafire
04-30-2007, 01:53 PM
I absolutlely LOVE splash!! :mickey: No matter what (unless is down for a rehab) We ALWAYS ride it at least 3 times. Usually more.:thumbsup: The whole fast pass system works VERY well. With Intercot and all the other info out there..I.E. books and Disneys web site, There is NO reason not to understand how to getthe most out of your vacation.

Bruegge
04-30-2007, 02:24 PM
This may sound stupid... or at least a waste of time to some..

But since we have to kids 8,3 if the 3yo wears out after dinner I plan on sneaking out to a park and doing just one big ride by myself if I didn't squeeze it in during the day visit.

We are not big "attackers" of the park so I thought.. well...

It's one thing to wait in line (queue sorry) an hour and a half, trying to time you dinner, your current fast pass with the whole family's need for food, rest, or shelter from the heat...

versus

Having a great dinner get the family back to the hotel pool or room.

Taking a tram or bus ride to a park..walk in stand in queue for an hour or so and ride the best ride in that park. Then go back to the hotel and go to sleep.

It may not be the most efficient ... but it's vacation.. why miss the Biggies or make them stressful

Scott

angedeaile
04-30-2007, 02:44 PM
I think because it is such a big attraction that the lines are too long, even if you use a FP.

On our last trip we snagged one and our wait was 45 minutes. It had been raining off and on all day, so I don't even want to imagine if it was a hot sunny day.

Infact, that and Big Thunder Mountain were the two rides we waited the longest to do on our whole trip.

Some folks just don't want to waste their time on 1 attraction, when they can ride 2-3 attractions in that same amount of time. I would have stepped out of line too, but DBF refused.

Belle619
05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
I understand that if you are lucky enough to visit Disney often, you may choose to not do certian rides/attractions. However, if it is your first trip, it is a shame to miss rides just due to poor planning.:shake:

Yes, it is true that on our first trips to WDW and DLR (both within the past year and a half) I was a little strict with the schedule :director: - we saw everything and rode everything that we wanted to (I had no intention of doing ToT, so we didn't do that!)

Honestly, its Disney, it is going to be busy. You definitely have to take advantage of fast passes and EMH - not to mention it is so vital to have at least looked at, if not studied and/or memorized, a park map BEFORE ENTERING THE PARK! :read: You never want to waste valuable time trying to figure out where you are or where you are going! My sister actually took a picture of me looking intently at the map before entering Disney/MGM - she thought it was just hillarious :haha: , but later was glad we had acomplished everthing we wanted to! :high5:

Niecyboo
05-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Here's another great one.

On our last trip, we were heading back into MK to do evening EMH around 7 PM and happen to run into people from our home town entering the park as well. It seems they were staying at POR.

As we were talking we got into line to get our wristbands, and they asked what we were doing. We explained how when the park closed at 10 PM we could stay until 1AM. They started asking us how to get them and how much they cost and were so excited to hear how EMH worked.

Then as we were separating after getting our wristbands, I said something like "I hope your enjoying your trip to WDW" and one of them said "OH, this is our 6th trip, we come every year." They come every year and they're entering the park at 7 PM and they've never heard of EMH?!?! I couldn't believe it.

FantasmicJ
05-09-2007, 06:17 PM
From what I've seen it seems that an overall lack of knowledge and planning is the reason why people don't see/do as much as they could. Having talked to a few people before they make their first trip there, I realize how much my own experiences dictate what I do at the parks. Knowing what I know now, I can't imagine the things that I would miss on a first trip to the parks without that knowledge. I could see how if someone didn't buy a guidebook and just went into the parks without doing some research, it would be easy to miss a lot. I'm grateful for having the experiences that I've had, and for having a feel for the best way to attack a park to get the most out of a day there.

January-2007
05-09-2007, 06:36 PM
They come every year and they're entering the park at 7 PM and they've never heard of EMH?!?! I couldn't believe it.

Yeah, that's crazy.

A few observations. When we would go to Frontierland first thing in the morning we found a lot of stuff to not be open yet. Found this in the other parks, too. It was a real bummer. I guess they really do expect everyone to have crowd mentality and go to one or two places, because a lot of stuff had later opening times.

We haven't gone on Splash Mountain during our last two trips. I can't ride it anymore because it makes me feel ill. The last time I rode it was just that, the last time. I offered to wait with my husband so he could ride it, but he wasn't all that interested, and would rather just do stuff with me than go on a ride alone. That could be a valid reason for not riding. Also, in October the ride kept closing down and having problems, then in January it was down for (obviously a much needed) refurb. Plus, DH didn't want to get wet since it was a bit chilly while we were there.

I guess I'm glad for the crowd mentality and people doing everything "wrong" or else there would be a crowd to some degree everywhere, and we wouldn't have our "secrets" you know? So I'll continue to open the non EMH park and head over to the evening EMH park right before it starts, depending on the season. So much fun to be had, can't worry myself too much if everyone else doesn't do their planning.

Mickey91
05-09-2007, 06:45 PM
I think some people just try to make themselves miserable and need to complain about something.

LoriMistress
05-09-2007, 06:54 PM
and I used to be a lifeguard.

I'm not sure what this information has to do with your questions or rant, but I'll reply anyhow. Unfortunatly, most people in life don't plan or don't research. They just expect someone to magically do the work for them. Let these people have horrible vacations...less people that I don't have to deal with at the parks.