PDA

View Full Version : Make it go away-wand,hat or obelisks?

Crow
04-29-2007, 01:40 PM
it seems that most people lately are saying the wand should go from SE (because of the rehab talk)
what about the sorcerors hat from in front of GMR? i know many didnt like when that appeared.
or the obelisks or whatever they are called in front of Epcot, where you can get pictures and names on big tombstones..which block the view of SE?
personally id get rid of them first, then the hat.
the wand isnt bothering me as much.

ghost999
04-29-2007, 02:48 PM
personally i don't think any of those should go :mickey:

RAIDER
04-29-2007, 03:06 PM
personally i don't think any of those should go :mickey:

Yep i have to agree .... I like them all :thumbsup: :mickey:

GoofeyAtDisney
04-29-2007, 03:13 PM
:blush: What Wand? Whats SB?

DNS
04-29-2007, 03:55 PM
I actually like the hat, but I hate where it is. Another area of the park would be better, but I went with the hat because of location.

rsumrall
04-29-2007, 04:00 PM
The wand on Epcot, I feel, is distorting the original "feel" of the park. It's not that I'm some purist against change. I just want change that represents improvement. i think the wand is a cheapening of the park, a feeble attempt to get some Mickey in epcot. It needs to go. I was hoping it would for the Epcot anniversary.

SBETigg
04-29-2007, 04:04 PM
I have mixed feelings on the wand and hat. On one hand, I like them and they seem very appropriate and festive. On the other hand, it would be nice to see SE without wand and remember MGM the way it opened. But the obelisks? No mixed feelings there. Just yuck. They never seemed to belong and really feel misplaced and in the way. Get rid of those! Or move them somewhere more out of the way. Sorry for people who have tributes there, but I just don't like them.

Spaceship Tigger
04-29-2007, 04:06 PM
I really don't spend a lot of time worrying about any of them. The wand is fine and I never gave a second thought to the 'obelisks' until I read the complaints here on the boards. The hat though, while I think it looks fine, is really oddly placed in front of the theater.

Mickey91
04-29-2007, 04:22 PM
I didn't vote. I like them all just fine.

GrmGrninGost
04-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Leave them all!! I think they're great!

LudwigVonDrake
04-29-2007, 04:35 PM
The Leave a Legacy stones at the entrance of Epcot are horrible. It makes the area look like some sort of cemetery :(

Vanlandingham
04-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Its gotta be the hat at the Studios for me. From the time they put it up I thought that it completely ruined the view up Hollywood Blvd.

I didn't like the wand the first two or three years it was there, but it has since grown on me. Though I don't think I'll cry when they take it down, it doesn't bother me that its there anymore.

lyle21
04-29-2007, 05:15 PM
definitely the leave a legacy cemetery.

Grizz16
04-29-2007, 05:21 PM
The wand should come down. The hat would be better located at the entrance to the Studios, I think. The Leave a Legacy stones should go away.

LoriMistress
04-29-2007, 05:27 PM
The wand on Epcot, I feel, is distorting the original "feel" of the park. It's not that I'm some purist against change. I just want change that represents improvement. i think the wand is a cheapening of the park, a feeble attempt to get some Mickey in epcot. It needs to go. I was hoping it would for the Epcot anniversary.

Agreed.

mrsgaribaldi
04-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Yep i have to agree .... I like them all :thumbsup: :mickey:

Me too:thumbsup: I voted for the hat since it's my least favorite:secret:

Kairi_7378
04-29-2007, 05:29 PM
I loved the classic look of the Epcot ball. The wand looks a little strange... like an attempt to bring Mickey into the park! The wand is out of place. It's not something that I think about all day, though.
The Leave a Legacy stones seemed strange to me and now I know why... they DO look cemetery-like!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-29-2007, 08:56 PM
The Leave A Legacy stones. I can't stand them. I apologize to those that like them or have pics on them. I just personally do not like where they are. Maybe move them to another part of the park?!

Gator
04-30-2007, 01:02 AM
I think the Hat and the Wand are great additions to the parks. Why would you want to remove them? Why don't you remove Expedition Everest since it ruins the skyline at AK? Or how about demolish Soarin' for ruining all of my pictures of Canada pavilion? I know: remove the Castle because my daughter really wants to see Dumbo flying around:thedolls: And my family's picture happens to be on the Legacy markers. I think it's pretty cool that 50 years, my picture will still be there for my grandkids to see. Do any of these objects keep you from going to WDW? Do they ruin your trip when you go? A lot of us like all of these. Why do you hate them?

auntfrannie
04-30-2007, 05:39 AM
The Leave A Legacy stones. I can't stand them. I apologize to those that like them or have pics on them. I just personally do not like where they are. Maybe move them to another part of the park?!

I agree! They need to be moved to the Haunted Mansion graveyard...they would be a perfect fit there! I hate the tombstones in Epcot. First, they're a monstrosity. Second, you can't even read the inscriptions because they're so small. And if you have one towards the bottom, lotsa luck even getting to see it!

alpro2
04-30-2007, 06:21 AM
I don't have a problem with any of those. What I would rather see go is the cheap Six Flags carnival-like area in AK. :ack:

As stated, the wand doesn't bother me, but I draw the line if they dress Spaceship Earth as a birthday cake for it's 25 year anniversary. ;)

darthmacho
04-30-2007, 08:06 AM
I don't care if they all stay, but since I haven't left a legacy, if forced to choose, I'd remove that. The Hat, though it disrupts the theming a bit, isn't likely to be removed. It's the new icon for MGM, and I think the debate is moot.

2Epcot
04-30-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't like any of them, but I would choose first to get rid of the wand on Spaceship Earth.

Tinkerkel
04-30-2007, 08:45 AM
I voted for the Leave a Legacy display. I like the idea, but I don't like where they're placed. They really seem to clutter up the area. I like the wand, but wouldn't cry if it came down. I don't think that it's an attempt to 'get Mickey into Epcot'...afterall, it is Disney, he belongs there, doesn't he?! :mickey3:

SurferStitch
04-30-2007, 09:45 AM
I didn't vote. I like them all just fine.

:ditto:

I love the wand, and I love the stone forms in front of SE. DH and I have two pictures on them, and they hold great sentimental value to us. I also think they look very futuristic and strong.

I think the hat is great....it's just too bad they put it in front of the Great Movie Ride. It would have looked really cool off to the right before you get to the entrance turnstiles, but it is where it is, so that's fine by me.

Seasonscraps
04-30-2007, 09:51 AM

I agree -- all those rows of the massive stones are ominous. We even have a tag up there for our wedding (it was a gift from my SIL) and it wouldn't bother me to see them go or moved.

indytraveler
04-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Out of the 3 I chose the Obliskes (sp?) The tombstone feel as I enter a Disney Park is weird. Anyways I think the idea is fine but the design and placement weren't well thought out. Same witht the hat at MGM. They must've realized they didn't have an enticing backdrop for any pictures until the hat was put in. Maybe raise it higher off the ground? I don't know what to with it either. Wand... no harm no foul.

brad192
04-30-2007, 10:38 AM
I can live with the wand & the hat, but the Legacy obilisks....

1. They DO look like tombstones.
2. They really clutter up the once open entrance area into FW.

You wouldn't have to remove them, just move them to a more appropriate location.

Just my :twocents: .

Jeri Lynn
04-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I would like to see the wand removed from Spaceship Earth and have it once again look like it did when Epcot opened.

In MGM, I like the hat, however, I dislike the location, I don't like that it is right smack in front of the theatre...if only they could move it to another location....

magicman
04-30-2007, 10:51 AM
definitely the leave a legacy cemetery.

Yup. They have my vote. May they R.I.P.

JPL
04-30-2007, 11:21 AM
I really needed a

D. All of the Above

Stickey
04-30-2007, 11:30 AM
The tombstones should go, they are bizarre.

The wand adds character to SE.

The Hat is great. Its location is somewhat questionable.

King Triton
04-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Epcot is such a beautiful park once you hit Spaceship Earth and beyond. The entrance is horrible and cheesy looking. "Leave a Legacy" has been a disaster that I imagine Disney wishes they never had. I think they intended to sell out during the millenium celebration, but didn't even come close and they're still a long, long way off.

It would have been nice for their 25th anniversary to spruce up the entrance way. It just doesn't do the rest of the park justice.

Figgyluv03
04-30-2007, 12:16 PM
The wand. I'm kind of over it. It's been there for what, the past seven years. Yeah, I liked it at first, but now it's just old. I miss the old view of SE.

Brer Mickey
04-30-2007, 01:04 PM
What I would really like to see is for the Imagineers to remove the wand from the hand of Mickey on SE. Then they could take the Sorcerer's hat from MGM, remove the ears, and then place it in Mickey's hand over SE.

Then they could attach some really large, black MM ears directly onto SE earth, reshape the front to look like Mickey's face, and put a black nose on it.

The final touch would be to cover all of the Leave-a-Legacy stones with straw and attach large broom handles to the tops and blair out The Sorcerer's Apprentice music ALL DAY LONG!:mad:

Seriously though, I would like to see all three of them removed. Bring the 1930's magic back to Hollywood Blvd. Return the clean, un-cluttered, futuristic feel that was originally intended for SE and the entrance to Epcot. That would make a lot of people happy!

Granny Jill A
04-30-2007, 02:30 PM
The tombstones at EPCOT really bother me because of where they are located. The idea of having pictures "forever" is a nice one, but the huge chunks of granite are blocking the entrance to a beautiful park.

I can live with the hat at MGM, but I would love to see the wand and hand removed from Spaceship Earth.

Gator
04-30-2007, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=Granny Jill A;1274091]The tombstones at EPCOT really bother me because of where they are located. The idea of having pictures "forever" is a nice one, but the huge chunks of granite are blocking the entrance to a beautiful park.[QUOTE]

How are they blocking the view? SE is not 20 feet tall - it's 180 feet tall. You can see it just fine from nearly every angle. I like the LAL stones where they are. When I first walked into Epcot, I thought "this is very futuristic looking." It's placed in FUTURE world, so it fits with the theming. It has a Space Odyssey feel to it. I seriously doubt Disney regrets putting them where they are. I think they accent SE perfectly.

I'm guessing most people who don't like them don't have a picture on them.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-30-2007, 03:48 PM
I have to also vote for the "leave a legacy" things. The first time we walked into the park with these I found myself lost in a sea of horribly etched faces trying to find my way to the strollers. I think the idea is nice but why in the fashion they chose to cram it down your throat when you walk in. I think the whole concept of "leave a legacy" is nice and all and can even see the design being what it is since they are placed in Epcot. But I think it would have meant alot more to have some sort of "area" to dedicate to the theme. There are a few open spaces they could have redesigned to dedicate these too, why crowd up the main entrance? Good idea bad layout. By the way, how much are those tiny squares to purchase, I cannot imagine they are resonable??

poeticeclipse
04-30-2007, 04:16 PM
I voted for Leave A Legacy... and here's why.

The hat is actually really nice looking and it really adds great theming. But, as many of you said, the location is poor poor poor. Despite the fact that I think it should be moved, I just can't think of a more appropriate place. So, maybe it should have never been built at all. :confused: It does ruin the look of Hollywood Blvd. because you can't even see Grahman's (sp) anymore. It just doesn't fit.

The wand and hand... alright alright alright, it's not the best theming wise. But, I think that it's not terrible. It doesn't fit with Epcot at all. But, it's not killing anyone.

The thing that holds some people on to the Leave A Legacy stones is sentimental value. If you or a loved one didn't have a picture on there yourself, it wouldn't mean as much to you. It's a great concept and it was well thought out other than the location. If they could be picked up and moved that would be wonderful. I always thought that if the central hub of Epcot was larger, it would be neat to have it on the outskirts in a circular pattern.

Just my two cents!!:D

SurferStitch
04-30-2007, 04:24 PM
crazeedisneefinatic:

I think the tiles cost $25 or so. We got both of ours free (both were flex features when they had them with WDW packages).

I agree with Gator....they are very futuristic, and fit perfectly in that area.

disneymother
04-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Spaceship Earth is already awesome looking without the big wand on it.
Wouldn't the people who bought into the Leave a Legacy thing be a bit upset if they just removed those from Epcot?:confused:

Jared
04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Definitely eliminate the wand! The hat's location is poor, but the idea is strong. I've never minded the Leave a Legacy tombstones.

Goes4FastPass
04-30-2007, 05:20 PM
No more complaints about the wand at SE!

Donald Duck 224
04-30-2007, 08:02 PM
I like all of them:mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Not a fan of the wand, but the obelisks have got to go!!!!!:ack:

Crow
04-30-2007, 09:38 PM
hey didnt mean to upset anyone who likes these.
mayb i should have labeled it which of these should b moved?
just move the LAL and the hat over a little

PirateLover
04-30-2007, 10:37 PM
I never had a problem with the Leave a Legacy structures. I've never seen a tombstone that looked like that. If anything, it looks like a war memorial I guess. But at any rate, they didn't bother me before I got a picture on them, and now I definitely enjoy looking for our picture. I wouldn't mind if they moved them I guess, but I really don't get the vehement dislike for them. :shrug:

The wand doesn't really bother me either... but I wouldn't mind seeing the hat go.

Jeff G
04-30-2007, 10:47 PM
All of the above!

Lucille
05-01-2007, 08:02 AM
I don't care for any of these things but the hat is by far the worst.

Polynesian Dweller
05-01-2007, 01:53 PM
The Leave A Legacy was and is an interesting concept but the execution of the concept is the problem. I remember the entrance before they were put in and the more open area fit much better with SE than the LAL. For me the problem is the color, its not bright and futuristic like the ball or the concrete fixtures around them. As such, their brown colour seems out of place in an otherwise steel and grey area and they look ugly as a result. Relocation or even a black or greyish colour would have worked much better.

DisneyOtaku
05-01-2007, 09:48 PM
For me, it's that darn hat. It blocks the Chinese Theater, which houses a classic Studio ride. What's the point of mocking the theater just to have it covered up?

And I miss my Earful Towers! :(

kadesha
05-01-2007, 10:51 PM
i didn't vote because i like them all. However, I think that the leave a legacy things are far more likely to go than the hat or the wand.