PDA

View Full Version : Daycare Rates

Flower
04-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Following the babysitting rate topic, what do you pay for daycare?

We have Brandon in daycare now 3 days a week at $33 per day. When I go back to work in November he will have to go full-time, as will baby Benjamin, who will be a year old.

The daily rate for Bennie is $43 per day as he is so young.

Ultimately, come November we will be paying $76 :bang: PER DAY for daycare.

This will only be for 10 months until Brandon starts school, at which time I will have to look into after school care, and I think he will only be going to kindergarten every other day, so I will need daycare on his off-school days.

There is a lady across the street that would charge $50 for both kids per day, but the daycare he goes to now is run by people that have degrees in childcare, they have a nutritionist on site and their meals are awesome, they get the socialization and interaction with tons of kids, and Brandon has learned so much at school. This is why I am willing to pay the extra $26 per day - it just seems like a lot though.

imaprincess!
04-29-2007, 02:26 AM
My children haven't been in daycare for about 7 years now. However, they were in a home daycare which cost us $200 USD a week. Their ages then were 3 years and 1 year. I wish I would have sent them to a place with more of a "school" environment, as I don't think she gave them what I really wanted them to have as far as stimulating activities. I think she was more of a babysitter.

It really is just astounding what daycare costs parents.

PrincessEmmasMommy
04-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Don't complain! Mine is so much more. We pay (for our 4y.o. in Preschool until fall, then Pre-K) $220 a week. There are others in this area over $300 a week. The worst part is we'll be paying this until she goes to first grade as Kindergarten here is only 2 1/2 hours a day and for 2 working parents this won't work. Plus, as a teacher, I have no idea how they work all the Kind. standards into such a short day.

Jen

Ian
04-29-2007, 08:01 AM
We pay $101 a week to send DD to pre-school for two days each week. I guess that means we pay $50.50 per day.

Which, to me, seems like the biggest bargain ever. It breaks down to something like $5.94 an hour. You pay more than that to park your car in a downtown lot. Which is more precious???

Melanie
04-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Wow! My eldest is 9. From what I remember, we paid $65/week for home daycare until he was 18 months old. I do remember at the time we knew we had a great deal.

At 18 months he went to a church daycare and it jumped to about $90/week. Still, a deal.

When our second son was born, I quit work! With prices like they are today, I probably wouldn't have worked at all after a first child was born.

crazypoohbear
04-29-2007, 09:11 AM
We never paid for day care, Thank God, it's expensive. I quit my day job when I had my first and worked nights while DH worked days.
I couldn't justify working to pay for day care:confused: By the time we paid daycare it was costing more to work days than it would have to quit.
We struggled financially, ( still do, kids are expensive!:) )
But it was worth it, so far they have turned out great! ( I'll let you know more when the second one makes it through his teen years!)

conorsmom2000
04-29-2007, 09:36 AM
When Conor was a baby, a very close family friend watched him - she charged me $25 a day. Around here, that's really cheap. Daycare centers would cost you upwards of $600 a month. I usually worked from home 1 or 2 days a week, so it usually cost me $75 to $100 a week.

When Con was 3 we put him preschool 3 afternoons a week - I don't really remember what that cost us, but, for two of those days, he was at the babysitters first, so we paid for both. When he was 4, we bumped his preschool up to 4 mornings a week and I believe that ran us about $450 a month, but I'm not positive.

NewmanFamily6
04-29-2007, 10:22 AM
I went back to school full time this year so we pay $144.40/week for the twins. This summer I will still be going full time so all 4 will have to go to daycare since school will be out. We will be paying $256.60/week for all of them this summer.

TikiGoddess
04-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Right now we pay $255 a week, but that is only for 3 days. This is for a home daycare, for my 4 yr old and my 2 yr old. If we need another day we have to pay approx. $80 total for both girls.

Next year, my 4 yr old will be going to preschool 3-4 days a week (all day). We have to pay for the entire week and that is approx $155/week.

My 2 yr old will be going to another home daycare next year, where the woman does a basic preschool program. She charges $160 for the week.

All totaled, next year, $315 a week. We will be putting money into the section 175 program (pretax contributions to health, childcare) to hopefully save ourselves some money. It will be nice when both girls are in school and we can divert the childcare funds somewhere else!

TikiG

mudpuppysmom
04-29-2007, 02:12 PM
When I worked and DS was a "baby" it cost us $99 per week, which from what you guys are saying is a real steal!! Then, I quit my job to stay home with him while DH was deployed so that DS would get to know ONE of his parents!! (I worked as a paralegal at a law firm, so 6 day work weeks were the norm -- one day with a baby is NOT enough!).

Anyway, I was sending DS to preschool all day which was $76 per week until just recently when DH needed a new car......we still have one car payment for a few more months, but his could not hold out any longer.....so I cut DS back to 1/2 days at preschool and it's $39 per week, but that is 3x week and 2 1/2 hrs per day. So fo 7 1/2 hrs of school it costs 5.20 per hour......again, you can't even park your car in a downtown lot that cheaply!!! In the fall he'll be going to Kindergarten, but I don't know if he's going full or half day until I think July!! So, my going back to work might have to wait another year (good and bad points!!).

Magic Smiles
04-29-2007, 05:14 PM
We live in Ottawa and when my son was 4 we enrolled him into the school daycare. At 4 we paid $600 per month (11years ago), when he turned 5 and started kindergarten for 3 1/2 hours a day the rates went down to approx $500.00 per month. Once he started Grade 1 we paid around $310.00 per month. This daycare was great as it was attached to the school and ran all year round. We even paid the same rates for the summer months when there was no school. Never had to worry about the daycare provider being sick. I don't know what the current rates are though.

TheMartellFamily
04-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Last time I had to pay for daycare it was 35 dollars a day that was with two meals. Now last time we did this was 4 years ago before my 2nd DS was born. After I had him I became an STHM. I am now a full time student and the way the schedule is I do not have to put my 3 y/o in daycare as for I am home by the time my DH starts work. Starting next fall with working we will have 3y/o in preschool and that I know is going to be expensive.

DisneyDog
04-30-2007, 10:58 AM
We pay $190/week for one child and that doesn't include meals except for a snack. If we want DS to take music lessons, that's an extra $48 every other month (we do that). Gym glasses are $20 per month (we skip that since he does other activities outside of school).

His school in Florida, 2 years ago, was $100/week and included spanish and music lessons.

It depends on where you live. His current school is gorgeous and clean and we feel very good about it. He absolutely loves it, which makes every penny spent worthwhile.

Mickey'sGirl
06-07-2007, 09:17 AM
When DS9 was little, he attended Montessori school (ages 1-3 at $400/week) He got kicked out because they didn't want to deal with his Asperger's, and we found his current provider. :angel: DS3 also goes to her home. It costs $200 for 4 days (or $25 each per day). DS3 also goes to nursery school 3 mornings per week -- which is only $152 per month (its subsidized)! So we are now spending less for 2 children in daycare than we were for our eldest to go to Montessori....and we feel they are better off!

pshokie
06-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Wow.....I bet I'll shock the pants off you all.

Maybe it just that this is the Washington DC area (can you say expensive? $$$$$$), and the fact that we use a daycare center and not an in-home person.

But we pay a combined $553 a week for our 1yo and 4 yo. We were at a place that was much worse, and they still charged us $468 for the pair. But we love it where we are now so we will manage it somehow.

BTW, the place we are at now has a waitlist for the infant room that is over a year long. How is that even possible?!?!?!?

Mickey'sGirl
06-07-2007, 09:51 AM
BTW, the place we are at now has a waitlist for the infant room that is over a year long. How is that even possible?!?!?!?My DS3 was put on the waitlist for his current Nursery school whilst he was still in utero -- and he only was placed in January (just before his 3rd Birthday!). My DS9 never got off the waiting list!

Flower
06-07-2007, 09:55 AM
BTW, the place we are at now has a waitlist for the infant room that is over a year long. How is that even possible?!?!?!?

I have already 'wait listed' Ben for November (months ago), if a spot comes open before then I will have to put him in to hold his spot. People here are contacting daycare centres when they first find out they are pregnant - crazy! The good thing about where we are with Brandon is that we will get priority when an infant spot becomes available for Bennie.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone - it sounds like we are on-par. It just means less Disney trips in our future :mad:. Oh well, at least it is only temporary until Brandon starts 'real' school.

Ian
06-07-2007, 10:00 AM
DD only goes two days a week and it costs us $111 a week.

I guess that breaks down to like $55 a day or something.

pshokie
06-07-2007, 10:05 AM
My DS3 was put on the waitlist for his current Nursery school whilst he was still in utero -- and he only was placed in January (just before his 3rd Birthday!). My DS9 never got off the waiting list!

I have already 'wait listed' Ben for November (months ago), if a spot comes open before then I will have to put him in to hold his spot. People here are contacting daycare centres when they first find out they are pregnant - crazy! The good thing about where we are with Brandon is that we will get priority when an infant spot becomes available for Bennie.

Yes it does sound crazy, but I think it is getting crazier even crazier here. That 1 year waitlist, that means you have to be on it BEFORE you are pregnant.

Wha???? :confused:

If it were not for the "priority seating" ;) that our DD gave our DS, he would be hosed. As it was, he still did not get into his current daycare until he was 6 months old. So we had to start at a diffent one much further away.

And people complain about making ADRs 180 days out :laughing:

tgmousechick
06-07-2007, 10:09 AM
This is a fresh topic for me, having just started back to work this week after 12 weeks of leave...

We have dd (4 1/2yrs) and ds (3 months) at a Kindercare in Hilliard, OH. They are more than the home sitter we had when dd was a baby (until last summer), but we find the more structured environment keeps her focused. And well, you might as well have both children in the same place, and they adore ds anyway.

Childcare will run us $385 per week. It's steep, but at least my salary outpaces it! :)

Kim