PDA

View Full Version : Weather in December?

GoofeyAtDisney
04-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Hey everyone! Me and my parents are heading over to WDW for the fourth time early this December for 17 days and I was wondering what the weather is like? Will it be during hurricane season because I dont like thunderstorms and I think a hurricane will be to much for me!

Thanks

Ms.Disney
04-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Hello,
Nope hurricane season is over in Nov. Dec. weather is very nice its sunny during the day in the 60's during the day, and in the 50's and maybe even in the upper 40's at night. Although our last Dec. it was pretty warm some days in the upper 70's. It's a great time of the year to come.

Strmchsr
04-28-2007, 09:38 PM
As noted, December is out of hurricane season. That ends Nov. 30 and even that late hurricanes are rare (2005 season aside).

As for the weather - it's completely, utterly unpredictable. You could have highs in the 80s and 40s all in the same week. You flip back and forth between hot and cold, rain and sun at a totally random rate. You can click here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/weather/dailytemps.asp) to go to Info Central and see what the weather has been for the last 3 years on specific dates, but that means nothing. The only thing I can say on weather is be ready for hot or cold and check the forecast the day before you leave. Generally I do my forecasts for WDW here on Intercot for 16 days out, but accuracy above 5-7 days during December is pretty much non-existent.

SAnderson70769
04-28-2007, 09:54 PM
We've been the first 2 weeks in December before and loved the weather! I agree that it can be unpredictable so take different types of layered clothing but i think you will love the temps! When we were there it was like 65-72 during the day and low 50's at night - so we still wore shorts and long sleeve t's but took windbreakers for the fireworks! You'll have a great time of year to visit WDW! Have fun - I'm arriving tomorrow so I can't wait!

dolphinmickey9170
04-28-2007, 10:12 PM
This sounds like perfect weather for those of us brought up in the cold for the winter. We will be going the week before Christmas this year, are pants and light jackets a better idea than shorts?

angedeaile
04-28-2007, 11:12 PM
This sounds like perfect weather for those of us brought up in the cold for the winter. We will be going the week before Christmas this year, are pants and light jackets a better idea than shorts?

OH I miss southern winters. It is like our autumn in the north! You don't know if it will randomly be cold or if it will be a steamer of a day.

I grew up in hot states, spent 7 years living in Alabama and 3 years in Florida. From my experience, I would suggest pants and a light jacket.

Winters are pretty unpredictable, but I found just wearing some jeans and having a hoodie always helped. Infact, I didn't own a winter coat until I moved to Northern Michigan 6 years ago, because all you needed down south was a nice sweatshirt.

When it is warm during the day, you can tie your sweatshirt around your waist. When the random chill hits, you put it on. Jeans also helped, since they are abit thicker than some dress pants. It does a decent job of keeping out that possible chill, but isn't so thick you will overheat if the weather warms up. Just something I personally noticed.

MsMin
04-28-2007, 11:27 PM
We've gone the past 4 years in Dec. Twice the 2nd week and twice the week before Christmas. Last year was the warmest it has been there in a long time for us. We were comfortable in jeans in the day but at night the weather dropped in the 50's and a light jacket was nice especially with the wind and humidity.
We've had it drop below freezing in 05 and were very very cold @ MVMCP most times we've gone.
Layers is what I recommend too..
Children in strollers can get very cold due to inactivity esp. at night and elderly can feel the cold even in the 50's. My dad had to return to the room b/c he was too cold in a flannel shirt.
Here in winters some systems pull the warm moist air from the gulf leaving weather you feel like you can swim in.
As mentioned you can expect most anything and we've gone with our Canadian friends who found the humidity made the moderate temps feel very cold. ??? who knows..- but no hurricanes.

Marilyn Michetti
04-29-2007, 01:03 PM
I'd say anything between "sunburn" hot, :cool: to "frosty nose" cold.:freeze:

To be fair, we're from Arizona, and aren't used to much humidity, and not much cold, sooo...maybe I'm not the one to answer here.

DrivingSideways
04-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Last December, I wore jeans and short sleeves everyday and had a long sleeve shirt either in my purse or around my waist. It worked perfectly. A few nights, I really didn't even need the extra shirt.

December is my personal favorite time to go to the World. Have a great time planning and a great trip! :mickey:

dumbo ears
04-29-2007, 01:31 PM
ive heard the weather is just perfect. 60 degrees during the day. not too hot not too cold. just perfect

Meteora
04-29-2007, 01:57 PM
We go every year during Christmas week, and as everyone has said, it's completely unpredictable. Some years it has been in the sixties and seventies. One year (we all remember it well) it was in the upper thirties and forties all week. Chances are you will get at least one chilly day.

My advice is to bring layers--bring a few tee shirts, a few long sleeves, several sweaters, one light jacket, and one heavier jacket. If you have some sort of windbreaker with a lining, you could bring that as your only jacket since it's sort of multi-functional. Bring one or two pairs of shorts, but mostly long pants--long pants are necessary for anything below 60 and comfortable for anything up to about 70. If you like capris, one pair might be useful.
Obviously, check the weather forecasts right before you go to help you pack, but know that they frequently change completely mid-week.

We have never had December thunderstorms.

luvdiznee
04-29-2007, 02:01 PM
We were there this past December (right during Xmas week) and no hurricanes in sight. Although I do believe there was a tornado or at least one in the area. Which is why we had a half of day of downpours. But other than that the kids went swimming. Have a great time! :mickey:

GoofeyAtDisney
04-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Ok thats a relief! I was scared for a second! Thanks guys and girls!:mickey: :thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
04-29-2007, 04:34 PM

We were down last Dec. 1-10. The weather was nice the first few days, then turned really cold. We had our heavy winter coats and scarves and were still very cold. Temp. in low 30's at night and much wind. Still had a great time though! You might consider renting a locker for the day to keep heavy clothes in as temp. can drop quickly once sun sets.

LoriMistress
04-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Before you leave, check out weatherchannel.com to see what the forcast will be like and pack accordingly. And before you leave the parks check the weather to make sure nothing unexpected will happen last minute.

SurferStitch
04-29-2007, 08:57 PM
We were there last December (7-18). Our first day hit a high of 62, and by the last day we hit a high of about 83. Temps rose steadily throughout our time there. We wore shorts the last half of the week, and were very comfy. Before that I wore capris and long shorts to the parks. We wore pants at night, and only needed a sweatshirt or light jacket for the first half of our trip at night.

There was only one cold night (the 8th), and that was around 45 degrees. We were in Epcot watching the CP, so it was very festive. Made for some really nice Christmas pictures around Epcot, too. It was especially fun knowing that it was just going to get warmer and warmer as our trip progressed, so one cold night was no biggie.

We loved the weather so much, we're heading back down the same time this year!

MinnieMommie
04-29-2007, 10:58 PM
The average high for December is 73 and low is 51. There is usually not too much rain then either. I've been in December many times. It is a nice weather month but in general I prefer the early part of the month. :mickey:

RAIDER
04-30-2007, 07:46 AM
In general i think its the perfect weather overall at night it can get a bit chilly :thumbsup: :mickey: