PDA

View Full Version : How Much?

mom4disney
04-28-2007, 05:02 PM
My husband and I are having a debate about how much money is required to feed a family of four (Mom, Dad, 8, & 5 year old) for seven days at Disney. I say $150.00 would be an average day - maybe even 200.00. He says around 100.00 a day. We are looking for a mix of counter service and sit down meals and one snack a day. I am leaning toward the dinning plan. We have stayed, in the past, at Fort Wilderness and had access to a full kitchen. This time around we are in the value resorts and do not have the same ammenities. Please help solve our debate.

faline
04-28-2007, 05:10 PM
From what you're describing, the dining plan might work well for you. For your family of four, the dining plan will cost you about $100 per day - less than either of your estimates.

You've already said you'd do a mixture of counter service and table service meals which matches what the dining plan will offer.

Plus, it will eliminate any arguments over what you're spending!

Seasonscraps
04-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I would go with your estimate of $150 as a minimum. DH & I don't have kids and probably spend just over $100 a day for a sit down dinner (usually with a couple of drinks), cs lunch and snack/drink.

wdw_bound
04-28-2007, 05:11 PM
I'd go with the dining plan. Check out the menues on info central and pick out a typical selection, then add tax and, if a sit-down, gratuity. I'd bet that you'd come out above $100 on an average day, which is about what the dining plan will run for you family (39.95 per adult, 9.95 per child).

Our family loves the DDP - we find that it offers tremendous value. Our TS meal alone is usually well above what the DDP costs for the day, not counting the snack and the CS credits.

vamaggie
04-28-2007, 05:13 PM
I would look at the menus posted here for the places you plan to eat at and see how much the meals will cost and if the DP is worth it for you. We did that and found that for us (me, DH, DS10 & DD4) the dining plan would be a good deal (DS tends to have expensive tastes--filen mignon, shrimp etc) Also remember that the DP includes tax & tip (don't forget to factor that in to OOP costs) We are planning on bringing some breakfast stuff and snacks from home so hopefully we won't have to buy much more than the DP covers. There is also a dining plan estimator here but I cann't seem to paste the link in. I'm sure someone will come along who can.

faline
04-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Here's the dining plan estimator (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/diningplan/estimator.asp).

GreenBeetle
04-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Sounds like the dining plan is right up your alley. You can easily spend $100 on one sit-down meal. Even the counter-service meals can add up. If your children would enjoy a character meal or two, better yet.

Like others have mentioned, use the estimator and have a look at menus you think your family would enjoy. Then you'll have your answer. :D

biodtl
04-28-2007, 07:15 PM
On one trip my family had the dining plan and another didn't, but we ate together. Looking at how much they spent vs our dining plan made it clear that it was well worth it.

dolphinmickey9170
04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
From what you're describing, the dining plan might work well for you. For your family of four, the dining plan will cost you about $100 per day - less than either of your estimates.

You've already said you'd do a mixture of counter service and table service meals which matches what the dining plan will offer.

Plus, it will eliminate any arguments over what you're spending!

I couldn't have said it better. Last year we were there with our 14 and 15 yo DDs who can be somewhat pickey. We spent over 200 a day for food, one TS one CS and one snack. I would strongly suggest the Dining Plan. Tell him you will save money. This usually gets them interested. Good luck and have a great time.

cfoshe
04-29-2007, 05:24 PM
We used the dining plan for the first time last year and loved it. There were only two of us however we keep track of what we would have spend had we paid for it out of pocket. For 5 days we ended up saving $225. Besides you can eat what you want without concern for the price as it is already paid for.
Also when you went 5 of us eating counter only we spent about $250.00. Never again this year with 18 of us going it is going to be the dining plan all the way.:thumbsup: