PDA

View Full Version : never cruised

tundramom
04-28-2007, 04:00 PM
As you can see , new to this...lot's of questions. First a preface: we are DVC'ers but won't use our points for a cruise, would like to tack a 4 night Caribbean cruise on to a WDW DVc stay. That being said:
1. Could we use DCL transportation from WDW to the port if we are booking seperately?
2. Along those lines- would we be able to get back to WDW or MCO using ther transportation?
3. We want to see Atlantis and I read that you can rent a room for a day so you can access their pools, but this option is not offered via DCL site, how do you do this and about how much is it?
4. Does the ship offer any entertainment/programs while moored at Castaway Cay? (not a big beach fan)
5. We like WDW during non peak times- how unbearable is the heat in the Caribbean during Sept/Oct? plus the whole hurricane thing, would late Apr/early May be better?
and
6. What are your must do's?

Thanks, I know that's a lot but I figured it would be easier than multiple posts:D

m4travel
04-28-2007, 07:12 PM
1. Haven't done this. Know there is some sort of WDW/Port transfers, but limited pick-up sites, I believe.
2. Transfers are available from Port to MCO or Port to WDW. If you haven't bought them before the cruise, they can be arranged through Guest Services. We cruise before WDW, so we buy transfers MCO/Port, Port/WDW, and then use Magical Express for WDW/Port.
3. Have never disembarked at Nassau (see No. 4) but Atlantis has a website and you may be able to book a day room there.
4. I, too, get bored at the beach. We usually last until lunch and then return to the ship for the afternoon. Check a Daily Navigator for the activities being offered; I know there are some things going throughout the day.
5. Were on the DVC Members' cruise last October and the weather was fine. Acapulco over Thanksgiving was much ickier.
6. Not much of a late-night person, but we do try everything else. Pirate Night is fun - though the party is a bit loud. We ship costumes to the ship in advance, etc. Enjoy the shows, but don't always see them. Palo outranks any of the shows! Wine tasting, martini tastings are always fun. Without a list of must-do's (well, maybe a few), we find it easier to adapt to whatever comes along. Life's an adventure!

TammiMcMan
04-29-2007, 01:15 AM
1. Could we use DCL transportation from WDW to the port if we are booking seperately?Yes, simply call DCL and make a reservation for the transfer. Depending on where you're staying, you may have to get to another resort for the shuttle though.

2. Along those lines- would we be able to get back to WDW or MCO using ther transportation?Yes, same premise as above.

3. We want to see Atlantis and I read that you can rent a room for a day so you can access their pools, but this option is not offered via DCL site, how do you do this and about how much is it?It's not offered on the DCL site, because a day room is not one of their planned excursions. Your best bet is to call the Atlantis directly. Depending on when you are travelling, they will either allow you to pre-book a day room now or you need to wait and do it when you arrive in Nassau. I've seen prices range from $99 to $200, for a maximum of 4 guests in the room.

4. Does the ship offer any entertainment/programs while moored at Castaway Cay? (not a big beach fan)Relatively speaking, they don't offer alot on the ship that day, as the vast majority does go to Castaway Cay. Check the Navigator carefully for that day, especially lunch time offerings. You could be fairly limited to room service or counter service.

5. We like WDW during non peak times- how unbearable is the heat in the Caribbean during Sept/Oct? plus the whole hurricane thing, would late Apr/early May be better?In normal situations, the ships crew can steer around most of the bad weather. I wouldn't sail during September and October without travel insurance though. Historically, the temps are almost the same, but April/May has less rainfall. Again historically, the chance of a hurricane drops off the more into October that you cruise.

6. What are your must do's?Dinner in Palo, brunch in Palo (if you're doing more than a 3 night), Vista spa treatment, wine tasting seminar, coffee drink at the Cove Cafe

ElenitaB
04-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Some more info, in addition to what others have already posted above:

1. Could we use DCL transportation from WDW to the port if we are booking separately?
Yes! You can reserve a DCL transfer and they will pick you up from a DVC resort if you are a DVC member.

2. Along those lines- would we be able to get back to WDW or MCO using ther transportation?Yes, we went to port (from VWL) and returned to WDW (OKW) using DCL bus transfers.

4. Does the ship offer any entertainment/programs while moored at Castaway Cay? (not a big beach fan)
Do make sure to visit CC. It really is beautiful (we didn't go to the beach either). This would be a good day to book a spa treatment.

6. What are your must do's?
The shows!

DisneyDudet
05-12-2007, 05:32 AM
Most of your questions have been answered.

As far as Castaway Cay, you really need to walk around and see the sights. Take pictures. If you are a PotC fan, the Flying Dutchman is there, and a great pic opportunity. There's so many things around to see, you should spend some good time there. We aren't beach people either, but its nice to not be inundated with people (as you will see at Nassau) trying to sell you things. Its just the same people you've sailed with before!

With regards to things on the ship during that day, I looked at my Navigator for my 7 day, and there was a movie on the Dumbotron and thats about it for activities on the ship. The lunch hours for the ship were different, and limited. Most of the on deck eateries started around 3, when its about time for people wanting to attend the debarking spiel to come back and get ready for it (which you don't have to go to, its replayed on your in room tv).

My must do's are the shows. They are great and so much fun! I like to shop and look around. Pirate night is great. The fireworks are the greatest!! If you can manage Palo's... do so. Its amazing! Of course, no kiddies allowed. Animator's Pallete is also a must do. If you have reservations for Palo's make sure its not on your first night in AP. They do not run the show after the first three nights.

I did not like Nassau, and would not get off there if I did a shorter cruise again. It wasn't my cup of tea. I would book an excursion (which we didn't do). Its safer to do it through the ship. If you happen to do Atlantis, give yourself enough time to get back, as they really don't wait for you.

Other than that.. relax and EAT!!! Its the best thing to do on the ship!