PDA

View Full Version : WDW with a 3mos old

tkbk
04-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Our June-July trip is now going to include my DD, her husband and my new grandchild. I have read articles about WDW with an infant and think we will all get thru that just fine. None of us expect the trip to really be of any use or fun for the baby but my son in law has never been so we are very excited. My question is: on the slow rides such as fantasy land rides, or the safari in AK etc. are there any restrictions or can an adult just hold the baby, and further more can an adult wear the baby on in a baby carrier on their chest. I have looked for age restrictions on the slower rdes on WDW's own website but cannot find anything about it. Does anyone know or has anyone done this with this size baby?
Thanks fr the help!:mickey:

pugslave
04-28-2007, 12:09 PM
We brought our DD when she was 5 mo old and had no problem with bringing her on any of the "people mover" rides. They did make us carry her, though. We definitely took advantage of the baby stations located in every park. It was a great trip, and she enjoyed it. We brought our own stroller, and she napped it it, and a lot of restaurants allowed us to bring the stroller right to our table. Have a great time. I personally think taking a baby to WDW is easier than taking a 2-3 yo!! Have Fun!

emmatink
04-28-2007, 12:26 PM
My wife and I took our daughter who at the time was 9 months old and she loved the visual stimulation the park gives a little one. I do agree to take advantage of the Infant Care Stations each park has, they are wonderful and give you a peaceful away from the crowd place to sit calm with your child or grandchild to feed or change, and they have all the supplies if you forget something. Have a great time starting the little one off with their disney experience!

tkbk
04-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks to both of you for the great responses. One more question............do you recommend bringing a car seat or will it be something that they don't need. It lloks like what I read is the DME doesn't allow car seats on the bus, and the airplanes we are on already appear to be pretty well booked so there will probably not be a vacant seat to put a car seat in (we did not purchaase a ticket for the baby) ....so is the car seat not of much use since we will have tha strolle anyways????? it sounds like it might end up being an extra thing we lug around and don't end up needing.......... P.S. I ordered the coolest attachment to the stroller, it goes around the entire front, it is a screen to block out bugs and it also has material the snaps on and blocks out 99+% of UVB rays.

kgoulash
04-28-2007, 02:04 PM
not really any advice, just a question. what is the attachment you ordered for bugs,etc called? we will be bringing a 7 month old and am curious about the sun protection
thanks
have a great trip!

tkbk
04-28-2007, 03:07 PM
I ordered the stroller cover on babyuniverse website, it is made by Kiddopotamus and is called The Baby Shade Stroller Cover. It says it is universal for all strollers with canopies and when ours camethis week we tried it and it fit my grand duaghters graco stroller perfectly! that is one less worry and what a releif!!!! sun protection is so important and a baby that age is not suppose to wear sunscreen, not until at least 6mos old. GOOD LUCK!!!

kgoulash
04-28-2007, 03:54 PM
thank you! i have a graco stroller as well, i'll have to check it out, it should be interesting with an infant! my son was 2 when we first took him

pugslave
04-28-2007, 03:57 PM
We didn't bring a car seat for her. We also did not purchase a seat on that trip, but did when we went back and she was 10 mo. We used a limo service from the airport, and requested a car seat. The stroller screen sounds awesome! We purchased an umbrella that had a clamp on it for the sun, but it blocked her view somtimes so the screen is a great idea! Our pediatrician told us it was okay to use sunscreen on her, very sparingly on her legs and arms, so you might want to check with your pediatrician for their recommendations.

magicofdisney
04-28-2007, 08:01 PM
I think the carseat would become very cumbersome. Is the stroller supportive enough without the carseat? If it's a quality stroller that provides all the support she needs, I say leave the carseat at home and just use the sling/baby carrier. My son's been going to Disney since he was 9mos old and I used the sling ALL THE TIME for rides and walking around the park. It's very reassuring for a young one. Have fun! :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-28-2007, 08:39 PM
We brought our son when he was 5 months old. He did great. We brought him on all of the rides without a height restriction and usually put him in the Baby Bjorn (front carrier) on rides. It was great getting on and off the rides, enabled you to have a free hand.

I would not bring the car seat. It will be too much of a hassle. I think it is too hot to put them in the car seat/stroller combo's. (just my opinion). My son was nice and cool stretched out in his stroller with a sun guard that sounds very similar to the one you are describing.

There is one thing I always made sure I had for my kids when they were little. Big, floppy sun hats. Most clothing stores and web sites carry them. The kind with the wide brim that velcro under the skin. Great sun protection. My daughter still wears them when it is sunny and my boys, DH and I always wear baseball caps. It really makes a difference.

Someone else mentioned the Baby Care Centers. Those are wonderful!!

Have a great trip!!

Maleficent's Dad
04-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Most of the important points have already been hit upon above!

I just wanted to chime in - we brought our kids to WDW before they were a year old (DD was 4 months old on her first trip). WDW has got to be the easiest place in the world to travel with young kids!

Now travelling with very young children can present numerous challenges wherever you go, Disney just makes it easier to handle those challenges! :mickey:

Sharon1026
04-29-2007, 09:08 AM
July in Disney with a 3 month old. You are brave. It will be incredibly hot. Make sure to bring plenty, plenty of liquids and sunscreen for the baby.
As for the rides - not sure. the AK kilimanjaro safari is very bouncy. You might want to parent swap on it.

good luck!

mickeys_princess_mom
04-29-2007, 10:00 AM
The pure heat factor concerns me, too. You can get battery operated stroller fans now--you might want to check that out....:wave:

MsMin
04-29-2007, 10:22 AM
I've brought mine at 3 1/2 mos ( a long time ago) You do have to be very careful with the sun and fluids. Bring water for the baby as well. We used pedialite in the park. Not all sun screen products can be used on babies so read the product info carefully.
Babies tend to perspire rapidly against the plastics so try to have as many natural fibers as possible.
I used plisse blankets to help protect from the sun, to nurse and to keep the baby cool. I've also used a wicker basket to keep her in (one designed for babies. The woven basket helps to keep air circulating around the baby. If you close the infant in the stroller make sure there is good air flow from somewhere. Plastics retain heat. The baby center was great. It's not difficult and we brought her on many smooth rides but the heat is the main concern.

casey@bat
04-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Don't forget rider swaps! That will allow some from your party to ride twice!

I took my youngest DD when she was 3 mos. old in the heat of July. I was nursing her and she wouldn't take a bottle. If your DD is nursing, tell her to double up on her water and rest as much as she can. The stress and heat can be hard on a nursing mom.

When my oldest DD was 8 mos. I nursed her on Buzz Lightyear and the Kilamonjaro Safari! My dad said she was having a milk shake!

tkbk
04-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Eveyone: thanks for all the suggestions, this is why I love the intercot community so much!!!!
We will be bring Pedylite, the sun cover is not plastic, I am getting one of the stroller fans (its my very next purchase), my daughter is nursing and plans to also bring her pump, the baby just started last week taking a bottle, although she also still nurses great too! After reading many, many articles about snscreen and that you cannot use on a baby until 6mos old, we also asked the peditrician who gave the same answer, no sunscreen and to just keep her very protected from the sun and lots of fluids. Luckily since we are DVC members I will have a full kitchen at BWV, so will have a "frig". I came mu dayghter all of the Baby stop areas on a list, so I think we will be in good shape now after talking to all of you.
Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks agian! (58 more days!):D :blush:

5fromabove
04-29-2007, 02:18 PM
I found it to be a great age to take her! We brought our own Graco stroller which allowed her to be very comfortable reclining and it had the sunshade. I took breaks to nurse her, and then she'd go right back to sleep in her cozy little spot. I also was able to nurse her during shows (like Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, etc). We took her on all the Fantasyland rides, many slow ones at Epcot, etc. We rider-swapped for big rides. I did take her on the Kilimangaro Safari's and she was fine on that too...just snuggle tight. :) Have fun and congrats on the grandbaby! :)

Sharon1026
04-29-2007, 07:23 PM
DVC members! Awesome!

I would seriously think about structuring the day so that you hit the parks first thing in the morning, spend the afternoon back "home", then hit the park in the evening. You can get the baby out of the heat that way. (And get yourself out of the heat, too!)

Have fun!
:stitch2: