PDA

View Full Version : Baby Sitter Rates

Jimenyfan
04-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Let me start out by saying that DH and I have not had many times when we have needed a babysitter, only because we really dont go out much and when we do we prefer to take our kids. So tonight I get a call from our neighbor down the street who wants our oldest DS(15) to babysit on mothers day and will pay $10 per hour, to me this seemed like alot, am I just completly out of touch? I told DS he cant take more than $7 an hour. Am I just completly out of the babysitting pay loop?

conorsmom2000
04-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Honestly, $10 an hour is what I pay (and $8 to $10 is probably the average around here)....but, our babysitters are always family (my niece, cousin) or very close family friends (my friend's eldest son, etc.) and 9 times out of 10, we need a sitter on short notice - so I pay that because one of them is always willing to help us out in a bind and we are grateful! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Jimenyfan
04-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks Jen, I told DS that he had to prove himself as a responsible babysitter before he could take that rate. I also wouldnt let him babysit if I didnt think he could take care of the children he was siting for.

Melanie
04-27-2007, 06:39 PM
If I had a baby or toddlers that required a lot of care and attention, I would consider paying that much. But with two older self sufficient boys who lots of times sit with the babysitter and play games, I can't justify it. $7 sounds reasonable to me.

Mousefever
04-27-2007, 07:09 PM
I agree with Melanie. A baby or toddler requires a lot of work and may involve a lot of crying. But older kids are usually easier to manage. I have an almost 9 year old and I wouldn't pay more than $7/hour for him. If the family has 3 or more kids, though, $10 might be more appropriate.

:dory:

Melanie
04-27-2007, 07:27 PM
If the family has 3 or more kids, though, $10 might be more appropriate.

True. 3 kids or more would probably justify $10.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-27-2007, 07:31 PM
I pay my babysitter $12 an hour for my three kids. She usually has it easy. My oldest is the only one still awake, the younger two fall asleep early and we usually do not go out to dinner until 7:30 or so.

I would say $10 is fair.

But then again, everything costs more to us out here in "The Hampton's". ;)

Jimenyfan
04-27-2007, 08:10 PM
In this situation we are talking 8 and 5 so I am pretty comfortable telling my DS he can take $7 I think that is pretty fair for both parent and sitter. Not to mention the fact that I am 3 doors away.

wdw_bound
04-27-2007, 10:10 PM
We are in Upstate SC and pay the 14 yo girl across the street around $6 (I usually round up generously). Her father told my DH not to give her more than $5, but she's such a great kid I can't not give her more :thumbsup: I've also found that she is usually available, and sometimes willing to change plans to babysit. I've paid college kids more and not had the same level of satisfaction. Our babysitter plays with our kids (2 & 8) and they adore her. We came home the other night to find she had let DD put her play make-up on her (they were playing beauty salon) - J. was very good natured about greeting us with silver sparkle cheeks, green lips and pale blue eyeshadow up past her brows. I gave her a good bit extra that night :blush:

For this area, $10 is quite high, especially for a teen. Maybe they were thinking about it being a holiday and felt the need to bump it up? I think your DS will probably find that if he refuses to take more than $7, he will have earned a very loyal customer who will probably pay him more any way, as well as possible recommendations.

magicofdisney
04-27-2007, 11:12 PM
My husband and I haven't dated much recently and this is partly why. We just can't afford a sitter too often. We're very fortunate to have family that will take care of the kids for free (Grandmas that is). But we do not abuse their generosity. I'm curious, how much money do you typically spend on date night, including the sitter?

Jimenyfan
04-28-2007, 07:10 AM
We are in Upstate SC and pay the 14 yo girl across the street around $6 (I usually round up generously). Her father told my DH not to give her more than $5, but she's such a great kid I can't not give her more :thumbsup: I've also found that she is usually available, and sometimes willing to change plans to babysit. I've paid college kids more and not had the same level of satisfaction. Our babysitter plays with our kids (2 & 8) and they adore her. We came home the other night to find she had let DD put her play make-up on her (they were playing beauty salon) - J. was very good natured about greeting us with silver sparkle cheeks, green lips and pale blue eyeshadow up past her brows. I gave her a good bit extra that night :blush:

For this area, $10 is quite high, especially for a teen. Maybe they were thinking about it being a holiday and felt the need to bump it up? I think your DS will probably find that if he refuses to take more than $7, he will have earned a very loyal customer who will probably pay him more any way, as well as possible recommendations.

:hi: neighbor, we are in the Upstate too.

jacknsally02
04-28-2007, 09:15 AM
It always makes me think that people's kids are their most precious thing and they usually entrust them to like 13 year olds, I know that;s what has to be done most of the time, but when you think of it, wow. And think about the responsibility on these poor kids, I mean the ultimate responsibilty if something bad happens on their watch. We pay people more to babysit our money! I'd let him take the $10

merlinmagic4
04-28-2007, 10:15 AM
I paid 11.00 per hour in 2005 when I was landscaping. That was for two children. I didn't work last summer with the new baby and now I am not sure what I will offer for three kids!! I guess 15.00 per hour would not be unreasonable.

My cousin is trying to pay me 10.00 per hour to watch her 2.5 year old. I told her I didn't want to be paid at all. Yesterday she left me money and said we aren't discussing it anymore. She left me 8.00 per hour for one little girl! I think it is way too much for family. I am going to pull the last card and tell her 6.00 per hour and then I'll just do activities and stuff with my little one and hers.

Anyway, she says 10.00 per hour for one child is the going rate. That pretty much rules out me going to substitute teach next year. I would get paid 68.00 per day (pre tax) and have to pay a babysitter for 7 hours (minimum). I guess that's a clear cut situation when it doesn't pay to work!

Lucille
04-28-2007, 10:37 AM
From talking to parents in the neighborhood $10-15/hr seems to be the going rate around here. Even at that price they seem to be a bit hard to come by, there are lots of babies and almost no teenagers. Actually, last week was the first time I even heard of someone hiring a teenager!

imaprincess!
04-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Geez, I thought the going rate was $5 an hour. That tells you how long it's been since we've been out!

This was when we had a teenager babysit for us -- she was related to my husband. When we came home at 10:30pm, I opened the door and found my then 2-year old daughter dancing naked in the kitchen. When I asked why, the sitter replied, "Oh, she said she wanted to take a bath." We also learned that a lamp had been broken when they were rough housing (including the sitter) AND my two children and her ate an entire pack or Oreo cookies! Needless to say, she never babysat again. :noway:

A Big Kid
04-28-2007, 08:16 PM
It is Mother's Day, after all. A premium up to $10 does not seem that ridiculous.

Flower
04-28-2007, 10:29 PM
I recently paid a sitter $10 for DS 3 and DS 5 months. The sitter is a 20 year old, cousin of mine who has alot of experience baby sitting and is just home from University where she is taking a degree in social work.

I was unaware of what the rate was and asked her - she said that $8-$10 an hour was normal. I did not mind paying her on the higher scale as I know she is reliable and experienced.

DisneyDudet
04-29-2007, 01:34 AM
When I was baby sitting, I made 6-7 an hour after the youngest was out of diapers. I then worked for the same people when they were running a business making $8. Then, when the business had to close, they hired me to be a part time nanny, making about 6-7, only because I was working for them 20 hrs a week.

I think that 7 is alright, as that is probably more than what most teens will make at a regular job.

5fromabove
04-29-2007, 11:08 AM
we weren't sure of the "going rate" when a neighbor asked her to babysit. This neighbor informed us that the "norm" is $6/hr for 2 kids and $1 per/hr for each kid after 2. So, for 3 kids, she makes $7/hr. She seems okay with this, as she's making $7.25 working at Mc Donalds on the weekends...so it's about the same. Less driving for me, and she doesn't "deal with the embarrassment of everyone from school coming through the drive-thru". So, in our neighborhood anyway, the going rate is $6/hr for 2 kids. That being said, my DH and I very rarely go out and get a sitter (no, we don't leave the kids with big sis b/c I wouldn't do that to my DS-11 ---they fight too much & he would resent her "bossing him around"). Anyway, I recently had a friend from church baby sit our kids and I paid her $40 for 3 hours and the kids were fed, in jammies and we rented a movie (so she didn't have to do anything except give me peace of mind). :) I guess it all depends on the situation and what your son feels is fair for the work he is doing. :)

Jimenyfan
04-29-2007, 01:54 PM
DS is happily accepting $7.00 an hour. I wouldn't allow him to babysit if I didn't think he was responsible enough to handle it. I also want him to know that regardless of the rate he is being paid he needs to be equally responsible if he is getting $5 an hour or $10. I sure am glad DH and I dont need a babysitter anymore, we couldn't afford one.

gueli
04-29-2007, 11:06 PM
On Long Island, I think $10 hour is the norm. Of course everything is relative to where you live.

on a side note: to those who feel they are overpaid- if your friend/family insist on paying above what you think it is worth- turn around and spend the extra on fun/activites for the little tyke. this is a simple way of not fighting over the money- while allowing you conscience to give back what you think you were overpaid.
:thumbsup:

ImagiAsh
05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
I used to babysit at around 15-16yrs old and I was getting paid $12/hr to watch a 3 and 6 year old. Typical rate was about $10-15 in my area.:mickey: